Is it normal to retrieve your own bags from storage?

Thank you for saying this, I truly appreciate it! I included the tip part of the story for full disclosure. One member of our party was ill and our last full day was difficult. On check-out day, I was so worried about getting us, and all of our stuff, out on time, the cash just slipped my mind. I genuinely didn't want to believe this was "payback" but you weren't the only replier who suggested the tip COULD be the reason and not that this was commonplace. This reply makes me feel better because it had been on my mind since yesterday. Thank you again!
Honestly, that was one of the first things that popped into my mind. YEARS ago, when in my Disney Management Program, I did a few weeks at Bell Services as part of the front office rotation. Guests were not allowed into the luggage storage room unless with a bellman and it was usually to identify luggage or if a person wanted one thing out of a bag before their room was ready. And no, at no time should a guest be removing all their luggage from the storage room. The dispatch area should always have a CM (not a bellman) there to assist and assign a bellman to help. I hate to say it, but it probably was because of the tip situation. 99% of the bell services Cast are fantastic, but there are a few who are less than mature. Especially if they have been "stiffed" already that day. Your situation should not have happened.

We have been on 40+ trips and, a number of times I will ask a CM about getting a cart to use for our luggage, we drive to WDW so we have a LOT of stuff and sometimes I will just use a cart:) During those times, I have never been told that the carts were ONLY for the bell hops and was actually told where I could get one or they will get me one. I have been asked if I wanted a bell hop to help us, but 99% of the time I will move my own luggage. This way we can start unpacking as soon as we get to our room, plus if it's something that I can do, I will just do it myself, especially luggage at a resort or hotel. Then I can use the tip $ for me to have a Makers on the rocks:drinking1
Same, we are less than two hours south of the world, so when shopping bags start adding up, it's no big deal! I think i would have taken the cart myself (although, not gracefully) had we not had a two hour window between check-out and our pickup time. It was crazy how many carts were all over our building and then to have NONE at bell services, between check-in and check-out, was odd. I'm certainly not boycotting Disney over this, but in the future I will most definitely take the luggage to the car myself! Then I can have that much-needed drink too!!! Thanks for the reply!

Honestly, that was one of the first things that popped into my mind. YEARS ago, when in my Disney Management Program, I did a few weeks at Bell Services as part of the front office rotation. Guests were not allowed into the luggage storage room unless with a bellman and it was usually to identify luggage or if a person wanted one thing out of a bag before their room was ready. And no, at no time should a guest be removing all their luggage from the storage room. The dispatch area should always have a CM (not a bellman) there to assist and assign a bellman to help. I hate to say it, but it probably was because of the tip situation. 99% of the bell services Cast are fantastic, but there are a few who are less than mature. Especially if they have been "stiffed" already that day. Your situation should not have happened.
Thank you for saying this! And thank you for the valuable information! I am seeing a pattern now. The wild thing is, when we got to the front, there was NO ONE (Disney employees) outside. No valet, no bellman, no CM. Just us and one other woman, also waiting to be picked up, with lots of luggage sitting on the pavement. When her car arrived, she loaded her own luggage too. This was around 1:00, the in-between hours, on a weekday. Finally, a gentleman in all black arrived behind the desk area, but he was seemingly valet only. We waited for nearly half an hour for the same bellman to appear and tell me my luggage is in storage and to come get it. Just a weird, weird experience. But I'm learning I'm not alone in this!

Just at BWI and when I went to retrieve our bags the first day (in holding area until our room was ready), we waited about 10 minutes. When we questioned the wait, the CM then said that 'a guest' was looking through his luggage in the back room and it was right in front of ours so they couldn't get to it. What?? He assured me that there was a CM with the guest. We waited another 10 minutes and then I told him to get my luggage or I would be talking to the manager. He went and got our luggage. I thought it was really unprofessional all around!

And I did tip before, and after!

C’mon folks… the paranoia is real. What would you think if hundreds of bags were taken off your flight and left for anyone to just lift off the luggage carousel? Oh, wait…
The difference is that most of us have walked past an airport luggage carousel, and we know how it works. I think many people assume that the Bell Services storage area is a "cast members only" area, and that is not correct.

Just at BWI and when I went to retrieve our bags the first day (in holding area until our room was ready), we waited about 10 minutes. When we questioned the wait, the CM then said that 'a guest' was looking through his luggage in the back room and it was right in front of ours so they couldn't get to it. What?? He assured me that there was a CM with the guest. We waited another 10 minutes and then I told him to get my luggage or I would be talking to the manager. He went and got our luggage. I thought it was really unprofessional all around!

Thank you for sharing your experience! Reading through all these replies, from experiences from so many resorts, really makes me wonder what is going on. It shouldn't come to threatening to speak to a manager, but it has. Believe me, if there had been a manager, or even a CM anywhere around, I would have said something too.

We had to retrieve our own bags once but that's because whoever we left them with did not tag them properly or put them in the wrong area, I can't remember. They had us go to the back (with a CM present) to find our bags. This was at Boardwalk Inn.

We had to retrieve our own bags once but that's because whoever we left them with did not tag them properly or put them in the wrong area, I can't remember. They had us go to the back (with a CM present) to find our bags. This was at Boardwalk Inn.
Thank you! You're the second replier to mention Boardwalk. I hope going to the back and finding your bags didn't make you late for your trip home!

Thank you! You're the second replier to mention Boardwalk. I hope going to the back and finding your bags didn't make you late for your trip home!
Nope, we were good. Was a little worried about my lightsaber I built that trip but luckily all was there.

A ‘not great’ experience has only happened to me once with WDW bell services. It did leave me feeling like they can get territorial about the luggage carts. Sent my 18yo to get a cart. They asked him if he was checking out and took the cart back from him. OK fine, he answered he was not personally checking out. I sent him back down with yes, we are checking out right now and have everything ready to load cart. He goes back down, gets a cart with a better understanding of the last question asked, and again they take the cart from him and this time say the bell hop needs it. I was not happy going down there myself for our 3rd try.

After moving over to EP area we saw dozens of unused carts lined up at those resorts at different times. Made me think Poly needed to put in another purchase order for carts. Not sure but DVC dues likely help pay for these carts.

I’ve heard some hotels like Marriot only let bell services use their carts, but not so at WDW. It makes sense at WDW because some resorts are far spread out but that is a double edged sword - I’m sure bell services does not appreciate how many guests leave carts a quarter mile away or take their sweet la-dee-da time using them. That part must get frustrating so I can sympathize. Still the interaction should never feel openly hostile.

A ‘not great’ experience has only happened to me once with WDW bell services. It did leave me feeling like they can get territorial about the luggage carts. Sent my 18yo to get a cart. They asked him if he was checking out and took the cart back from him. OK fine, he answered he was not personally checking out. I sent him back down with yes, we are checking out right now and have everything ready to load cart. He goes back down, gets a cart with a better understanding of the last question asked, and again they take the cart from him and this time say the bell hop needs it. I was not happy going down there myself for our 3rd try.

After moving over to EP area we saw dozens of unused carts lined up at those resorts at different times. Made me think Poly needed to put in another purchase order for carts. Not sure but DVC dues likely help pay for these carts.

I’ve heard some hotels like Marriot only let bell services use their carts, but not so at WDW. It makes sense at WDW because some resorts are far spread out but that is a double edged sword - I’m sure bell services does not appreciate how many guests leave carts a quarter mile away or take their sweet la-dee-da time using them. That part must get frustrating so I can sympathize. Still the interaction should never feel openly hostile.
Yes, yes, yes to the "openly hostile" quote! I'm so sorry you and your son had that experience. I can't tell you how many carts were just haphazardly grouped together near the stairs and elevator throughout our stay. Maybe that's where all of Poly's carts went to, hahaha! The frustration can be warranted, it's just a bummer when it is directed at guests that were trying to load their own luggage onto a cart themselves to help move the process along. Here's to an easier checkout next trip!

Sort of related...when leaving the VGF on Monday at 7 am...the bellman said he was the only one working!!! God bless him, he was old. Like, I was embarrassed that my 57 yr old capable husband wasn't schlepping our bags.

Sort of related...when leaving the VGF on Monday at 7 am...the bellman said he was the only one working!!! God bless him, he was old. Like, I was embarrassed that my 57 yr old capable husband wasn't schlepping our bags.
We checked out Tuesday at 11 a.m., but weren't picked up until 1 p.m. I can't imagine one poor bellhop working - especially when so many guests opt for early flights. Why on earth would VGF schedule that? As Floridians, we had to use a car service this trip because my car had a recall, but moving forward we will absolutely handle our own luggage at checkout. As you said, we are more than capable. Thank you for sharing!

We checked out Tuesday at 11 a.m., but weren't picked up until 1 p.m. I can't imagine one poor bellhop working - especially when so many guests opt for early flights. Why on earth would VGF schedule that? As Floridians, we had to use a car service this trip because my car had a recall, but moving forward we will absolutely handle our own luggage at checkout. As you said, we are more than capable. Thank you for sharing!
One last thing...he actually looked at his tip ($20) which normally they just stick in their pocket. I guess we passed because he was all about giving gas station directions after that. Lol

One last thing...he actually looked at his tip ($20) which normally they just stick in their pocket. I guess we passed because he was all about giving gas station directions after that. Lol
I had the opposite experience, which was absolutely my fault. My bellman was super friendly, discussing where I was originally from and offering me a ride to checkout. When I realized I hadn't gotten the $20 for his tip before the rest of my party left, I apologized profusely (and embarrassingly) but his entire demeanor changed. I mean completely different personality and the conversation died. Again, I understand, but I had the tip ready to go to give to the front desk before he reappeared and informed us about our luggage situation. Lesson learned, for sure! (Meaning: Remember to have cash for the tip!)

I've definitely been in your shoes. I think the fact you acknowledged it, versus blatantly stiffing him, should have given you extra points.

The person you spoke with may not have been a bell person, but a door person, greeter, or dispatcher. They can’t retrieve bags or perform the services of a bell person due to union “rules”. It could result in a grievance due to bell services being a tipped position and the others mentioned, not. Under certain circumstances it is allowed, but not normally. Not making excuses but a possible explanation (which the CM is not going to explain), most guests wouldn’t know about tipped vs non tipped positions and what they can and can’t generally do.

And that is one situation where a guest would be allowed to enter the storage area, when accompanied by a CM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter