Is it normal to retrieve your own bags from storage?

Mal46

Earning My Ears
This isn't a complaint, it's more curiosity than anything. My party of 4 recently checked out of a moderate resort on a very quiet weekday. During our entire stay, luggage carts were left near the exit to our specific building. On the morning of our check-out, we grabbed one on our way back from breakfast. Our luggage included three big suitcases, a large duffle, a backpack with school books, shopping bags and leftover snacks. We were at Disney for over a week and were getting home by car, so individual shopping bags and such weren't a problem.
After we loaded the cart and called bell services, three members of my party went to the gift shop and I waited outside the room with the cart because it was approaching 11 a.m. In my haste, I forgot to get cash for the tip before everyone left. I apologized profusely, and promised to leave the bellman's tip with the person at the front, but he told me that he was "NEVER at the front and probably wouldn't get the tip." I felt horrible. This was completely my fault and I should have known to get the cash before everyone left.
We were picked up a little later by a car service, which was waiting at the main drop-off area. We met them promptly but no one was outside to ask for our luggage or give our ticket to. TWENTY MINUTES LATER, the same bellman who told me he was never at the front appeared. He said that bell services had stored our luggage and that we would have to go get it and bring it to the car. Once we got inside, which was a short walk from the entrance, we were told to grab our bags. All of our bags were on shelves and when I asked if we could use a cart to load them on we were told, "Unfortunately there are no carts." And so we dragged the suitcases, duffle, backpack, etc to our car and loaded them in ourselves.
Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever had to get your own bags from the storage? Do they regularly run out of carts? Or were all the carts just chilling around the resort waiting to be taken by guests? This was our seventh stay at this resort, and this had never happened before, so, like I said, I'm very curious.

My guess is that due to it being prime check out time, the carts were in high demand and all in use. I have never been asked to retrieve my own bags from storage though. I was under the assumption that that was a CM only area. What was to stop you from taking property that did not belong to you (not that you did)?

This has never happened to us but I do think many just use the carts like they are for their personal use (they are for the bellmen) and because some of the moderates are so large they are not returned making Bell Services run short.

I have had to go into the storage area to help them find bags that were missing though but they have always brought them out and loaded them for us.

My guess is that due to it being prime check out time, the carts were in high demand and all in use. I have never been asked to retrieve my own bags from storage though. I was under the assumption that that was a CM only area. What was to stop you from taking property that did not belong to you (not that you did)?
EXACTLY!!! We didn't, but we could have because there was zero supervision. And I totally understand about the carts, it just made the walk to the car a little more tedious. Thank you for your reply!

This has never happened to us but I do think many just use the carts like they are for their personal use (they are for the bellmen) and because some of the moderates are so large they are not returned making Bell Services run short.

I have had to go into the storage area to help them find bags that were missing though but they have always brought them out and loaded them for us.
Totally understand about the carts. I actually thought I was helping by loading my own. And thank you so much for sharing your experience!

This isn't a complaint, it's more curiosity than anything. My party of 4 recently checked out of a moderate resort on a very quiet weekday. During our entire stay, luggage carts were left near the exit to our specific building. On the morning of our check-out, we grabbed one on our way back from breakfast. Our luggage included three big suitcases, a large duffle, a backpack with school books, shopping bags and leftover snacks. We were at Disney for over a week and were getting home by car, so individual shopping bags and such weren't a problem.
After we loaded the cart and called bell services, three members of my party went to the gift shop and I waited outside the room with the cart because it was approaching 11 a.m. In my haste, I forgot to get cash for the tip before everyone left. I apologized profusely, and promised to leave the bellman's tip with the person at the front, but he told me that he was "NEVER at the front and probably wouldn't get the tip." I felt horrible. This was completely my fault and I should have known to get the cash before everyone left.
We were picked up a little later by a car service, which was waiting at the main drop-off area. We met them promptly but no one was outside to ask for our luggage or give our ticket to. TWENTY MINUTES LATER, the same bellman who told me he was never at the front appeared. He said that bell services had stored our luggage and that we would have to go get it and bring it to the car. Once we got inside, which was a short walk from the entrance, we were told to grab our bags. All of our bags were on shelves and when I asked if we could use a cart to load them on we were told, "Unfortunately there are no carts." And so we dragged the suitcases, duffle, backpack, etc to our car and loaded them in ourselves.
Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever had to get your own bags from the storage? Do they regularly run out of carts? Or were all the carts just chilling around the resort waiting to be taken by guests? This was our seventh stay at this resort, and this had never happened before, so, like I said, I'm very curious.
The only time something like this happened to us was when we went to retrieve our grocery order at AoA. The CM told me they didn’t have any carts, and I said that was okay because our order was small and there were two of us. She said that’s fine, head on back. She pointed to the grocery section and went off to retrieve my cold storage items. We had to find my name and grab our own things. She brought our cold stuff but never verified that I took the correct items. I guess they think everyone is honest when at Disney?

The only time something like this happened to us was when we went to retrieve our grocery order at AoA. The CM told me they didn’t have any carts, and I said that was okay because our order was small and there were two of us. She said that’s fine, head on back. She pointed to the grocery section and went off to retrieve my cold storage items. We had to find my name and grab our own things. She brought our cold stuff but never verified that I took the correct items. I guess they think everyone is honest when at Disney?
Similar thing happened to us at Wilderness Lodge. Grocereies were delivered to the resort but never brought to our room. I finally went down and got them myself.

No tip for that, right?

That doesn’t sound normal at all, but I do have to wonder - did you leave the tip with bell services? If not, while not right of them, I could kind of get their lack of help.

This makes me worry about what I leave with bell services. I know to be cautious, but there are some things we don't want to lug around.

Nobody should have access to the luggage area IMO. But then I guess it's not much different than the airport.

Similar thing happened to us at Wilderness Lodge. Grocereies were delivered to the resort but never brought to our room. I finally went down and got them myself.

No tip for that, right?
I don’t think I did, now that I think about it. But I can’t remember for certain.

THIS! No one checked my ticket! No one checked to see if we had the right bags OR if we were taking the "wrong" bags. They basically just told us to grab our stuff and head out. Not to be THAT person, but do they assume we're all honest or do they just not care?

No tip for that, right?
Ugh! It reminds me of the days when you could buy something in the park and have it delivered directly to your room the next day. Things sure have changed!

That doesn’t sound normal at all, but I do have to wonder - did you leave the tip with bell services? If not, while not right of them, I could kind of get their lack of help.
Thank you for bringing this up. I didn't want to believe that the tip - which was ready to be left with bell services before this incident - was the reason this happened.

This makes me worry about what I leave with bell services. I know to be cautious, but there are some things we don't want to lug around.

Nobody should have access to the luggage area IMO. But then I guess it's not much different than the airport.
You hit on good points! While the high schooler in our group would have been delighted to lose her school backpack, I don't like the idea that this resort brings guests to the storage area either, ESPECIALLY without checking our ticket.

No, retrieving your own luggage is not normal. As you can see above groceries and deliveries get weird but go get your own luggage was definitely due to you not tipping. I don’t even wanna know how many times a day they hear I forgot/will catch you later/etc excuses for not tipping so I am not surprised they weren’t understanding about it.

As for folks worried your stuff might be stolen- what? lol. You should always expect your stuff to be stolen by anyone who touches your bag- bellmen, TSA, anyone. Having an open-ish access policy probably helps prevent thefts as it deters the bellmen from riffling due to the unpredictable nature of access to the area.

Thank you for bringing this up. I didn't want to believe that the tip - which was ready to be left with bell services before this incident - was the reason this happened.
I asked my son, and he said we definitely tipped, so that was not our issue either.

No, retrieving your own luggage is not normal. As you can see above groceries and deliveries get weird but go get your own luggage was definitely due to you not tipping. I don’t even wanna know how many times a day they hear I forgot/will catch you later/etc excuses for not tipping so I am not surprised they weren’t understanding about it.

As for folks worried your stuff might be stolen- what? lol. You should always expect your stuff to be stolen by anyone who touches your bag- bellmen, TSA, anyone. Having an open-ish access policy probably helps prevent thefts as it deters the bellmen from riffling due to the unpredictable nature of access to the area.
I completely understand, and it was 100% my fault for not getting the cash. Just for reference, I had a twenty ready to be left at the stand in a make-shift envelope with his name on it. Forgetful, definitely. But I would NEVER not tip someone, especially for the amount of bags we had loaded on our cart. As for the "lol" about stuff being stolen, we were speaking about letting random guests into storage without checking their ticket and allowing them to retrieve any bag/items they claim belongs to them. That's sketchy, at the very least. Thank you for your perspective!

I’ve been let in bag storage areas at Poly and CR to grab something out of our checked bags a few times. It’s not exactly wide open but it’s not like Fort Knox either - these are high volume operations with lots of CMs/people/delivery companies/etc around (read, organized chaos) and it makes me appreciate how ‘most’ of the time it all actually works well/as intended.

Sorry you ran into unsatisfactory service OP.

I’ve been let in bag storage areas at Poly and CR to grab something out of our checked bags a few times. It’s not exactly wide open but it’s not like Fort Knox either - these are high volume operations with lots of CMs/people/delivery companies/etc around (read, organized chaos) and it makes me appreciate how ‘most’ of the time it all actually works well/as intended.

Sorry you ran into unsatisfactory service OP.
Absolutely! We've stayed at this resort multiple times and never had an issue like this. The good definitely outweighs the bad. I know situations happen and it's not something I'm going to contact Disney about... I was just seeing if anyone else had experienced anything similar. Your apology is very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your reply!

Sort of related - preCOVID I left my luggage with Beach Club Bell Services on my departure day. Hours later, I went to the desk and gave them my ticket. They brought out a shopping bag, and nothing else. It was not my shopping bag. They had to go back to get my luggage.

If what they brought out was better than what I left, it would have been easy to just take it. (For example, if somebody had thrown some old stuff in the shopping bag and they were given all of my luggage instead of their bag, they might have decided to forget the shopping bag and take my luggage, if they were dishonest.)

And on arrival day (on a different trip) I left my luggage with Beach Club Bell Services because my room was not ready. I went back later to get something out of my suitcase. The Bell Services castmember just let me in, showed me where my stuff was, and walked away. It would have been easy to steal from someone else's bags if I were dishonest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter