Is maintenance lacking? Increase in breakdowns?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I'm seeing not a small amount of chatter online that ride maintenance is definitely lacking, things are showing their wear, and breakdowns are happening more frequently. Is this a real trend going on?

It's a fine line where people want rides open when they are there and them wearing down. There are posts on here all the time with people complaining when too many rides are down at the same time. I think Disney tries to keep most of their rides going through the holiday seasons due to high demand and attacks maintenance in Jan-Feb timeframe before the spring break heavy period.

It's a fine line where people want rides open when they are there and them wearing down. There are posts on here all the time with people complaining when too many rides are down at the same time. I think Disney tries to keep most of their rides going through the holiday seasons due to high demand and attacks maintenance in Jan-Feb timeframe before the spring break heavy period.
Preach it !!!!!!! Every ride has to be taken down at sometime. You may be coming at that time.

Aside from anecdotes, does anyone have access to real data that supports the notion that downtimes are up?

We have been going to WDW for decades, and it seems there have been attractions closed for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance on every trip.

Personally I found things were better maintained the last 2 trips (late August and this past weekend) than they were the last 3 trips I had prior to covid.
It should be expected that rides will go down with how much the are run well maintained or not.
Only 2 attractions went down while I was there this past weekend and they were back online in about 30 minutes.

Aside from anecdotes, does anyone have access to real data that supports the notion that downtimes are up?

We have been going to WDW for decades, and it seems there have been attractions closed for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance on every trip.

Yes, this is exactly what I'd like to see.

We just got back from our trip earlier this week, and I felt there were fewer ride breakdowns than our previous trips over the past year. When they did happen, they were short.

I don’t think that’s true. If it were, they could open more things now. I think they don’t maintain things like they should b/c of the same reason they do most things…$$$.

I don’t think that’s true. If it were, they could open more things now. I think they don’t maintain things like they should b/c of the same reason they do most things…$$$.

What is down for maintenance now? I know they are limping along with some rides (Spaceship Earth, Splash) until they get upgrades. What could they open now that is ready or having maintenance done?

Not maintaining a ride to save money would cost them down the road when it no longer works. It should cost them less to keep the attractions operating at a consistent level for the long term. This is true for most things (ie your house or your car). Neglect in the long run costs way more money than maintaining.

Things break down. Sometimes multiple rides break down simultaneously. Probably just coincidence. Sometimes things look worse than before because more people are pointing that thing out more often, even if it may have happened the same amount before. But who really knows? 🤷‍♂️

What is down for maintenance now? I know they are limping along with some rides (Spaceship Earth, Splash) until they get upgrades. What could they open now that is ready or having maintenance done?
I meant more attractions can be opened. Things that have been closed.

Maintenance of the rides are totally separate from that.
I understand that. The argument was made that they try not to shut down rides so they have as many options as possible available to guests. I’m saying I don’t think that’s the reason & the lack of maintenance is simply about $$. If it were about having attractions down, then they would have more stuff opened in general. They’re not concerned about that.

I understand that. The argument was made that they try not to shut down rides so they have as many options as possible available to guests. I’m saying I don’t think that’s the reason & the lack of maintenance is simply about $$. If it were about having attractions down, then they would have more stuff opened in general. They’re not concerned about that.
Critics always throw around the dollar signs for everything. That just rings hollow on maintenance though cause everyone knows it costs more if you don't do it. Disney has maintained these rides for decades, they know they have to do them as regularly as possible.

Just got back from a week in the parks. Had the following breakdown while inline and typically took around 2 hours till they were back up: splash mtn; dinosaur; slinkydog; rock n roller coaster; 7D; test track closed two days in a row at 7pm. These weren't the typical closures - all these times cast emptied the lines out.

Just got back from a week in the parks. Had the following breakdown while inline and typically took around 2 hours till they were back up: splash mtn; dinosaur; slinkydog; rock n roller coaster; 7D; test track closed two days in a row at 7pm. These weren't the typical closures - all these times cast emptied the lines out.
However, I would say that all of these rides are notorious for being unreliable. Dinosaur and 7DMT are the most reliable of these. Someone sneezes and TT goes down,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter