Is Poly really worth that much extra money?

RN01

Mouseketeer
It's my dream to stay at the Poly but everytime I price and compare it's just so much more money. This trip it prices around $2300 more for the week compared to a moderate resort. For those who have stayed at a moderate and the Poly is it really worth it to spend the extra money for the Poly?

Worth it is subjective. I tend to do split stays now with the first night or two at a value or moderate then move over to the Epcot resorts. For me, yes the extra cost for a deluxe is worth it. I love to be able to walk to Epcot and HS, which are our two favorite parks. I like the feel of the deluxe resorts, I like the bigger rooms, I like having a balcony to sit out on and drink my coffee in the morning. For others, probably not. I haven't stayed at the Poly in years but it used to be our go to resort before the Epcot resorts opened up.

First, comparing a moderate resort to a deluxe is like comparing apples to oranges. To some people the cost is absolutely worth it. If you want to try the Poly, why not do a split stay with a moderate?

Only you can decide where you should spend your vacation money. Every family is different. Some splurge on deluxe resorts and eat at lower priced restaurants. Some save on their resort and like to indulge in fine dining. You should set your budget, look at how much time you'll be spending at your resort, and go from there.

Personally, I love the Poly. We always stay deluxe since we do like to relax quite a bit at our resort. We did stay at POR once. It was ok, the mod's just weren't for us. (It didn't help we had a tropical storm for 4 days.)

You could always stay at a Mod, then do 1-2 nights at a deluxe to "try it out".

If you do a lot of MK or Epcot touring, the Polynesian is a great choice.

The grounds are lush and gorgeous and do a great job transporting you to a different locale of the world.

Will say it's disappointing that it's the only deluxe without a signature restaurant.

Also even though the rooms were gutted and refurbed 3-4 years ago, they are quickly showing their age again.

You don't have to stay at poly to enjoy it.

Only the pools/hot tubs are not available .

So, make a reservation for any meal time you would like.

Visit and get the great quick service items at CC's or Traders etc. the bar at the pool, traders and Tambu are great!

You can still watch fireworks from there too!

After you visit, boat or mono back to MK and take your bus back to resort, OR time it and take a bus or mono from there and head to your next park. I always visit poly no matter which resort I am at. So it's ok if you don't stay there you can still have fun there.

Don't forget to visit CR and gf too!

I think you could stay at another deluxe for less money than Poly (WL? AKL?) so in that respect I'd say it's not worth it. as trishadono mentioned you can avail yourself of many of the amenities of the Poly without spending the money to stay there.

We used to stay at the Poly...I would say it's worth it if you are going to be relaxing there for portions of your trip. It's gorgeous. If you can afford it, it's wonderful, like I said if you actually spend time there. For us, we found that we were zooming by amenities on our way to the parks. We started staying Value because of that. Shower and sleep.

It's my dream to stay at the Poly but everytime I price and compare it's just so much more money. This trip it prices around $2300 more for the week compared to a moderate resort. For those who have stayed at a moderate and the Poly is it really worth it to spend the extra money for the Poly?
The moderates are not for me. If I couldn't afford Deluxe, I would just stay at All Star Music. We've stayed there 3 times and had a wonderful vacation. We've always visited the Deluxe resorts for shopping and dining and dreamed of one day staying there. We started with a split stay at Music and one night at the Beach Club. We fell in love with it. Stormalong Bay was incredible. On our last trip we stayed at the Contemporary. The spacious room was incredible. We were so used to being cramped in Value and Moderate (Caribbean). We knew that unless we had no other choice, once we tried Deluxe, there was no going back. This trip we are trying Poly. It is my daughter's dream resort. (Mine is Grand Floridian, but that is WAY over budget). We are very excited to be there full time, not just dining and shopping, but full access to the pool etc. Can't wait.

If it's somewhere you really want to stay and can make it work financially, I'd say go for it. If it's going to make you struggle to pay for the trip, then I'd say not to.

We haven't stayed at Poly, but always wanted to stay in a theme park view room at contemporary. So, one year we did it. I'm so glad we did, it was awesome! However, I'll never do it again. For me, it was "worth" it that once, but not to do again. We don't have much extra money (enough to go on vacation but not to stay that expensive all the time), and we really didn't spend all that much time at the resort to enjoy it.

Like others said, it's hard to describe worth to others. The only way I'd personally stay at a deluxe again is if I was planning on spending a few hours a day there (not just after parks and sleeping).

Look at other things about the resort. For example, a big thing for us is transportation. Poly has the boat monorail in addition to the bus which allow you to travel around Disney World easier. You're also about a 6-8 min walk away fr om the transportation center so really you're ina great spot. If you're looking for a huge food court, then you're going to look for somewhere else. But Poly has Kona Cafe and Ohana, two great TS restaurants. The resort itself is amazing. You feel like you're in Hawaii or one of the Polynesian islands. You're met with waterfalls and beautiful trees. It's a beautiful resort.

Now look at the hotel rooms. Are they spectacular? No. My family had CL Hawaii patio and you could walk on the beach. That was amazing. But they were bumped up because of room assignment error. No way they could afford that room if they stayed there again. Staying in their CL room made their experience great but if they stayed in a standard room like they paid for, do you think they would have loved Poly as much? Probably not.

If you ask me, I don't think the price youre paying is worth the room you get. But that's just me. I do like the hallways at deluxe vs the open walk ways at mods. Good luck.

I'm going to say no, it's not worth $2300 more. Yes, Poly is beautiful, but, as PP's have pointed out, you can go to the resort to visit and enjoy the decor and theming. We love going to see the lobby, go to Boutiki and have a drink at Trader Sam's, but we've stayed here a few times and the resort amenities just don't stack up to other deluxe resorts, IMHO. The QS is quite chaotic (IMHO), it's virtually impossible to walk up to the TS (and I don't like having to have ADR's all of the time), there is no shade at the main pool and I found many rooms to be quite loud with the EWP, fireworks and (in Fiji) the luau. Some people LOVE the Poly and I totally get it. We just enjoy other aspects of other resorts. If it's your dream, maybe consider a night or two to make it more affordable? We prefer to stay at WL or the EP resorts.

We just stayed 9 nights at the Poly and loved it, however I would never pay the Disney price to stay there, just to much! We had a great deal the end of August and made it affordable. 2300.00 more is a lot for one week, that is the total we paid for the Poly for our 9 nights! Good deals are out there you just have to be willing to go at certain times. We have also been able to get a deal with Orbitz and stack an additional 15% off so this had made the Deluxe resorts more affordable. August 2016 we stayed at GF for around that 2300.00. GF was my favorite over the Poly and the CR. We have also rented points to stay at a Deluxe for a much more affordable price. If none of the above is an option for you then NO I don't think the room alone at the Poly is worth it.

We stay at Pop if we're going to the parks nonstop. If we're going to relax, we stay at the Poly. It's just SO much more convenient to hop a monorail back to the resort when you're tired.. Plus it's a beautiful resort. I believe we paid rack rate for a standard room last November, but ended up being upgraded to TPV CL. :) Moderates really hold no value for me over a value, that's just how we Disney though.

We just stayed 9 nights at the Poly and loved it, however I would never pay the Disney price to stay there, just to much! We had a great deal the end of August and made it affordable. 2300.00 more is a lot for one week, that is the total we paid for the Poly for our 9 nights! Good deals are out there you just have to be willing to go at certain times. We have also been able to get a deal with Orbitz and stack an additional 15% off so this had made the Deluxe resorts more affordable. August 2016 we stayed at GF for around that 2300.00. GF was my favorite over the Poly and the CR. We have also rented points to stay at a Deluxe for a much more affordable price. If none of the above is an option for you then NO I don't think the room alone at the Poly is worth it.

Where do you find such great rates?!?

No. I recommend trying a less-expensive deluxe resort. Imo the deluxes are worth a price increase over the moderates, but a deluxe is a deluxe, and the substantial Poly cost premium over the other deluxes isn't worth it.

Over the last few years we have found that the $$$ we save with mods out weighs staying at the deluxes. But we do not think that a balcony and indoor hallways are a big deal, but to some people they will pay $150+ a night more for them. I would also look at a split stay or do what we sometimes do and decide to stay at a deluxe knowing that we are splurging to stay there and not because we think it is that much more worth it. The resort is important to our stay, as we do not just do the parks all the time and spend a decent amount of time at the resort and found that the Mods gives us everything we need without busting the bank. Even with a TA exclusive deal, the Mods are still much cheaper, so for us it still is a hard decision. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter