• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's a small world - flooding

Koenig is usually right, I think he got the reopening mostly right, and his network of informants is extensive.

There's some hearsay tweets saying things like "friend of a cast member" saying that repairs are almost done, ride hours posted for 11/22, etc etc...

But it's an inordinate amount of water at the base of a 60 year old ride... you don't just vacuum it up and dry things out. My gut really says IASW won't reopen until next year. It's not even actual fixing that will drag this out, it's the inevitable testing, regulatory certification, permitting, etc... I checked Anaheim building permits today, nothing referencing IASW repairs or electrical (last one I saw was for an ice machine at Oga's).

Ugh. We moved our trip out of early November because a) vaccine for 5-11yo and b) IASW overlay, so this really sucks. Don't know how to break the news to the kiddo (but knowing her, I'm more distraught about it than she is).

Koenig is usually right, I think he got the reopening mostly right, and his network of informants is extensive.

There's some hearsay tweets saying things like "friend of a cast member" saying that repairs are almost done, ride hours posted for 11/22, etc etc...

But it's an inordinate amount of water at the base of a 60 year old ride... you don't just vacuum it up and dry things out. My gut really says IASW won't reopen until next year. It's not even actual fixing that will drag this out, it's the inevitable testing, regulatory certification, permitting, etc... I checked Anaheim building permits today, nothing referencing IASW repairs or electrical (last one I saw was for an ice machine at Oga's).

Ugh. We moved our trip out of early November because a) vaccine for 5-11yo and b) IASW overlay, so this really sucks. Don't know how to break the news to the kiddo (but knowing her, I'm more distraught about it than she is).
I agree. I know little about flood repair, but as soon as I heard that the flume had flooded I had a bad feeling about this (lol). There is so much infrastructure that could be damaged/ruined and who knows how easy it would be to get some of those needed parts if the system has replacement needs? The supply chain thing may just throw another bucket of water into the works.

I do hope it's a relatively quick turn-around, but I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a major overhaul that takes weeks/months.

I’m okay with a walk through, lol…not really feasible for a quick turnaround, though.

also, pulled this comment from the web:

Rammis
I used to be an electrical maintenance person on this ride. There is a pit near the boat loading area exit (you can see the hatches on the ground) and this is most likely where the damage is. The flume runs over this underground room and there are pumps and other equipment there. If the flume ruptured, this equipment would be flooded. The main PLCs (control computers) and audio gear are not located here. They are at the rear of the attraction in an above ground room, removed from the flume. In any event, it appears that a good portion of the underground equipment must be replaced. While Disneyland keeps most of the park that people see in good repair, there are some areas which are not directly related to safety which can be neglected until things go wrong. A weakness in the flume is a prime example.”

I peeked at it today and it’s not filled with water. There are a lot of CMs standing inside and outside it and the one I talked to said the closure is indefinite at this point. She made it sound pretty dismal but hoping this is a case of they have been told to make it sound bad so no one is hoping but maybe just maybe it will come back sooner rather than later. 🙏

I peeked at it today and it’s not filled with water. There are a lot of CMs standing inside and outside it and the one I talked to said the closure is indefinite at this point. She made it sound pretty dismal but hoping this is a case of they have been told to make it sound bad so no one is hoping but maybe just maybe it will come back sooner rather than later. 🙏
Did u see workers actually working on repairs?

I’m okay with a walk through, lol…
I was just thinking that ... it might even be more fun as a walk through! One could stand still for a moment to enjoy a few areas of personal interest ... and, hey, it is an air conditioned space, after all!

Hoping it’s open sooner rather than later but I feel like that’s never the case. I still remember a few years ago when world of color went down indefinitely. Really hope it’s not one of those indefinitelies.

Spoke to a cast member on Friday. She said the repair crew said closed indefinitely. There were no visible repairs happening, there was no water in ride, could not hear repairs or fans from outside. Nora Jones performed in front of attraction Thursday night for ABC christmas special, and the exterior looks completely normal except for no water and a walled up area to left of store.

There is still no water in the outdoor part that I could see from the train this morning.
Thanks for the update! I haven't been to the park for a couple weeks so didn't know if any progress was made, guess we'll know once we see water again. As others have mentioned- sounds like a long term repair issue and won't be back anytime soon.

Website now lists it as closed until 11/29. 😭😭😭 So sad to miss it!

The cynic in me thinks that the DLR folks know this is a multi-month repair, but are intentionally punting the date slowly to give false hope and prevent cancellations/drive additional traffic.

But I also don't know many ticketholders that would cancel due to IASW and rebook in Nov/Dec 2022, either.

The cynic in me thinks that the DLR folks know this is a multi-month repair, but are intentionally punting the date slowly to give false hope and prevent cancellations/drive additional traffic.

But I also don't know many ticketholders that would cancel due to IASW and rebook in Nov/Dec 2022, either.
Maybe they don't want people to realize they really bungled something that badly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter