It's been 549 days but we are finally home! ~ an August '21 birthday celebration! New PTR link 01/02

The age to ride by yourself is fairly low! Which we use with the girls right in front or behind us. But I guess technically they could go in line by themselves.
I can understand riding in a seat on your own when a parent is in the next row. But allowing entry to the park without an adult??? It just seemed wrong to me. I thought you had to be 14 to go to the park without an adult.
Ugh! That is the worst when you are in traffic and you know you are in the wrong place.
Oh my gosh, yes! Plus I am really not used to highway driving anymore as I live in a small town and my commute to work is only 15 minutes.
He just doesn't understand.
Everytime I put on a pair of ears his comment was "are you wearing those things again????"
By the end of a week together I was happy he wanted to do anything. As much as I love Disney, Jack was done after 4 days.
Sounds perfect!
The best! :goodvibes

Love your Small World outfit. :goodvibes

Glad Jack joined you for a small bit of the Magic Kingdom. Guess one attraction is better than not tagging along at all. And boat rides early in the morning can be quite relaxing and fun.

Reading by the pool while on vacation is one of my favorite things to do. Sounds absolutely lovely.

We decided to head to the People Mover and assess the situation. Of course this was a 20 minute wait which was not a good sign.

Every time I ride TPM lately, it's at LEAST 20 minutes. The word is definitely out about how awesome it is, I guess!

We were both tired, hot and frustrated so decided to bail after People Mover. That may have been my shortest MK outing ever!

Oh, my! That's one expensive ride!

I had the crab cake which was the most uninspired rendition ever. Neither of us were all that thrilled with our meals and felt the whole experience at the Boathouse fell rather flat.

That's too bad. Jack's burger looked pretty good though.

We both decided a drink at the bar and a chance to watch the Electric Water Pageant would put us in a better frame of mind so headed off to GP once again! No wonder they knew us by name by the end of our stay, lol!
IMG_9173.jpeg

:love:

Everything went smoothly and we had our results an hour after arriving back at the Lodge. I was never happier to see a negative result!

Yay, such a relief!

I really enjoyed the ride as always but it fell flat for Jack. He doesn't see in 3D as he is blind in his left eye due to rare disease called Coats Disease ( https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/coats-disease/ ). He could see the images but then there were all these blue and red lines all over the screen which spoiled the whole thing for him. I felt really badly as I didn't anticipate this happening.

That's too bad but it makes sense that he wouldn't enjoy the ride as most of the fun of it is the 3D.

I decided to deck myself out in all my "IASW" gear this morning with the tank top, ears and bag. Jack just looked at me and shook his head but I was happy.
IMG_9208.jpeg

Lovely 🥰

It was a ton of fun and I looked expectantly at Jack after and asked "what do you want to do next?" He replied "I'm done....I just wanted to do Space and not anything else." Well, he certainly knows his own mind!

What?? Oh my goodness! Whatever you do, do NOT sit and calculate the cost per ride for this trip!

I was feeling a little peckish so headed to Aloha Isle next for the Kakamora float (coconut soft serve with pineapple juice and blue curaco syrup and a chocolate kakamora cake pop). This was ahuge serving and a bit too sweet for me. I mostly ate the coconut soft serve which was delicious (sorry @pkondz!) and tried a sip or two of the juice and a bite of the cake pop. That was enough sugar for me!
IMG_9210.jpeg

That looks so cute, but I think it would be too sweet for me too. I would like to try that coconut soft serve 😋

One of my retirement plans is to work part time for Disney and I think I would make a perfect Fairy Godmother!

My dream job too!

I happily spent a couple of hours going between dips in the pool and time reading my book under the shade of an umbrella. Simply the most perfect way to spend an afternoon.
65065455327__DE124CD4-6CC2-4AA7-814A-DB9EB49D6D73.jpeg

100% AGREE!

Every time I ride TPM lately, it's at LEAST 20 minutes. The word is definitely out about how awesome it is, I guess!
It must be! Gone are the days you could just walk right on.
Oh, my! That's one expensive ride!
Right???? The only thing that made me feel better is that we had 8 day Canadian resident discount tickets so the cost per day wasn't as horrible as it could have been.
That's too bad. Jack's burger looked pretty good though.
I thought so too but he wasn't thrilled. I think he was spoiled by the Geyser Point burger.
Yay, such a relief!
The best feeling! I will be very happy when we don't have to test before flying anymore.
What?? Oh my goodness! Whatever you do, do NOT sit and calculate the cost per ride for this trip!
I know....certainly not for Jack's ticket in any case. At least I spent some solo time in the parks and got a little more value for my ticket.
That looks so cute, but I think it would be too sweet for me too. I would like to try that coconut soft serve 😋
The coconut soft serve is SO good!
My dream job too!
We can be CMs together!
100% AGREE!
::yes::

Love your Small World outfit. :goodvibes

Glad Jack joined you for a small bit of the Magic Kingdom. Guess one attraction is better than not tagging along at all. And boat rides early in the morning can be quite relaxing and fun.

Reading by the pool while on vacation is one of my favorite things to do. Sounds absolutely lovely.
Thank you so much! I was happy to have a bit of time with him in the parks that day. I love a good poolside afternoon. For our upcoming trip in March, we only have 2 park days. So there will be lots of time for poolside relaxation! :goodvibes

I can understand riding in a seat on your own when a parent is in the next row. But allowing entry to the park without an adult??? It just seemed wrong to me. I thought you had to be 14 to go to the park without an adult.
The parents could have been somewhere in the park... But I agree. The only time we have let the girls go into a line by them selves was once and it was barnstormer and there was no line...

The night that started off wrong but ended in the most magical way!

After coming up from the pool, Jack mentioned that he was feeling a bit hungry. As our dinner reservation wasn't until 7pm, we decided to grab a bite to tide us over. And where did we go?? If you guessed Geyser Point, you would be right! We settled in at the bar and soon had drinks in hand. Jack went for the Banana Cabana for a change and really enjoyed it.IMG_9229.jpeg

I was feeling magaritaish so went for the
Sunshine Margarita (Lunazul Reposado Tequila, Cointreau, and Sweet-and-Sour with Orange and Lime Juices). This was on point!
IMG_9230.jpeg
It's hard to steer Jack away from his beloved Bison burger so of course he ordered that. He devoured it in about 5 minutes flat so I am guessing it was good, lol!
IMG_9231.jpeg

I was mindful of our upcoming dinner reservation so ordered something a bit lighter, going for the Crispy Salmon Croquettes with Miso Tartar Sauce. These were absolutely fantastic. Chalk up another win for Geyser Point!
IMG_9232.jpeg

After finishing our delightful meal, we headed up to get ready for our dinner reservation at California Grill. When I originally booked this reservation, we were hoping to see HEA from the observation deck. Unfortunately a private company had bought out the Magic Kingdom for the evening and we were informed there would not be a showing of HEA. That was disappointing to hear but we were determined to make the most of our evening. Jack started off with the
Blackberry Sour (Ketel One Citroen Vodka, House-made Lemonade, Blackberries). Unfortunately this drink was mostly ice and precious little else.
IMG_9235.jpeg

I went for a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvingnon Blanc Signature Reserve (Marlborough '18) for $17.00. While it was delicious, I felt it was quite a small pour for the price. Unfortunately less for more would be the trend for the rest of our meal.
IMG_9236.jpeg

Trying to feel optimistic about dinner here...no pics of Jack as he was NOT feeling the whole CG experience.
IMG_9238.jpeg

I chose the Pork Tenderloin with goat cheese polenta. This is a dish I have thoroughly enjoyed in the past but what I received bore no resemblance to what I had before. For $42 USD I expected more than a few mouthfuls of food. While I was aware they cook the pork to medium, two of my pieces were pretty much raw. I really should have said something but by this point, we just wanted to leave.
IMG_9241.jpeg

Jack did not fare much better with his order of a California combination roll at $27 USD. All he could say was that he was thankful he had the Bison burger at GP earlier on. Skimpy did not begin to describe the serving size.
IMG_9242.jpeg

Our service was fine and I know I really should have spoken up about the food quality. We found the restaurant to be overly crowded and very noisy, the antithesis of what you would expect from a signature dining experience. We passed on dessert and left as soon as our bill was paid.

*continued in next post*

Heading back to Wilderness Lodge, Jack suggested we go back to Geyer Point as he was still hungry. I happily agreed. I was texting with the lovely @pepperandchips as she was thinking of coming over to GP with her hubby, R. They were at Epcot and just waiting on the WL bus. Jack decided to go for the Cheesy brisket dip which had become a firm favourite of ours. Our wonderful server, Rob felt badly about our CG experience and brought over the delicious Campfire Mousse as a little pick me up treat. That's the Disney service I know and love!
IMG_9243.jpeg

Melinda and R arrived and settled in with beverages. We enjoyed some great conversation and ordered another round of drinks. It was almost 11:00 at this point and we were totally shocked to hear the opening bars of HEA fill the air. I just looked at Melinda and we ran down towards to the water's edge where we were thrilled to have a partial view of Happily Ever After. This was such a surprise and oh so special. Of course I cried through a good part of it and Jack made fun of me.
IMG_9245.jpeg

IMG_9251.jpeg

I was so happy to share this experience with a dear friend. Really I could not have asked for a more
magical moment on our last Disney night! :goodvibes
IMG_9256.jpeg

Up next.. final thoughts, costs and 2022 trip planning. :)

After coming up from the pool,
For air, I presume.
If you guessed Geyser Point, you would be right!
Nope. Guessed Cracker Barrel. I was way off.
I was feeling magaritaish
Is there a time when one doesn't feel margarita-ish?
Sunshine Margarita (Lunazul Reposado Tequila, Cointreau, and Sweet-and-Sour with Orange and Lime Juices). This was on point
I'd go for that. ::yes::
It's hard to steer Jack away from his beloved Bison burger so of course he ordered that. He devoured it in about 5 minutes flat so I am guessing it was good, lol!
:sad2:
I remember when I could eat a burger... before dinner.
Crispy Salmon Croquettes with Miso Tartar Sauce. These were absolutely fantastic. Chalk up another win for Geyser Point!
That sounds good!
After finishing our delightful meal, we headed up to get ready for our dinner reservation at California Grill.
:laughing: something wrong with that sentence.
Unfortunately a private company had bought out the Magic Kingdom for the evening and we were informed there would not be a showing of HEA.
What? Why would you buy out MK... and not have fireworks?!?!? :confused:
Blackberry Sour (Ketel One Citroen Vodka, House-made Lemonade, Blackberries).
mmm... sounds good too. Too bad it wasn't.
I felt it was quite a small pour for the price. Unfortunately less for more would be the trend for the rest of our meal.
oh dear...
I chose the Pork Tenderloin with goat cheese polenta. This is a dish I have thoroughly enjoyed in the past but what I received bore no resemblance to what I had before. For $42 USD I expected more than a few mouthfuls of food. While I was aware they cook the pork to medium, two of my pieces were pretty much raw. I really should have said something but by this point, we just wanted to leave.
:(
Sounds like a complete fail all around.
Not bad! I get the same thing, prepacked, at the grocery store.

Just, not impressed.
We passed on dessert and left as soon as our bill was paid.
Definitely a sign of a not so great time.
Our wonderful server, Rob felt badly about our CG experience and brought over the delicious Campfire Mousse as a little pick me up treat.
Now that's more like it!
It was almost 11:00 at this point and we were totally shocked to hear the opening bars of HEA fill the air.
Wait. What? But they said...
I just looked at Melinda and we ran down towards to the water's edge where we were thrilled to have a partial view of Happily Ever After. This was such a surprise and oh so special.
:goodvibes
Of course I cried through a good part of it and Jack made fun of me.
:laughing:
and... awwwww... :hug:
I was so happy to share this experience with a dear friend. Really I could not have asked for a more
magical moment on our last Disney night! :goodvibes
:goodvibes

I have been reading your report and really enjoy it! I don't comment too often, but have decided to try to participate more.

I hope that my kids will still want to go to Disney with me when they are adults. They are currently 14 and 9. Also, I can't imagine letting them go to the park by themselves even with one being 14. Several years ago, when my oldest was 11, my husband had a conference at Disney and we all went with him. One day while he was at the conference, the girls and I went to DHS. Lauren (the 11 yr old) really wanted to ride RNRC, but her sister wasn't tall enough. I let her go through the single rider line by herself. After I walked her up to the line, her sister and I went and waited at the exit for her. I was a little nervous, but she is a pretty responsible kid and did have a phone in case she needed to call me. I also told her to just find a CM if she had any trouble.

Sorry your Cali Grill experience wasn't good. We've had several great meals there, but I'm not planning on it for April since there are so many new places I want to try.

You are making me very happy that we are staying at the WL on our April trip. We haven't stayed there since 2013 and I'm really looking forward to staying there again. We haven't been to Geyser Point before so we will definitely have to try it.

I laughed when I read about Jack having his bison burger before his dinner at CG When we were dating my husband and I used to have two dinners on a night out with a movie in the middle🤣. I was a busy nurse who often hadn’t eaten in hours as work was always hectic so needed food to enjoy the movie then after we’d go for a more relaxing meal to chat the night away as you do at 20 and in love :goodvibes
Sorry your CG experience want great. We’ve only been once and weren’t impressed and in no rush to go back at those prices though I know lots of people rave about it. You do have a knack for ending your days on a high note though which makes me happy. Drinks and fireworks with friends (plus chocolate treats from excellent staff member) is simply the best!

Nope. Guessed Cracker Barrel. I was way off.
:laughing: ...although I do love Cracker Barrel on a US road trip!
Is there a time when one doesn't feel margarita-ish?
Nope!
I remember when I could eat a burger... before dinner.
Right?? The joys of being 21!
:laughing: something wrong with that sentence.
Well, given the way our meal turned out, I'm glad we had that meal.
Sounds like a complete fail all around.
Not their best showing for sure. Although our server was really good and I made sure to tip accordingly. The food quality wasn't his fault and I could have spoken up.
Not bad! I get the same thing, prepacked, at the grocery store.

Just, not impressed.
That's about the quality and portion size. Bet you don't pay the equivalent of $27 USD for it!
Definitely a sign of a not so great time.
It just wasn't what we were hoping for. Jack was not happy and when he digs in his heels like that, I am not happy either.
Now that's more like it!
GP for the win! They have truly exceptional servers....definitely old school Disney style!
Wait. What? But they said...
I know!!! Best surprise ever!
This looked really good!!
Very good! And they go down easy!
Sorry it was a disappointment...glad you at least got to see HEA later!
The surprise showing of HEA definitely ended the night on a high note!
I have been reading your report and really enjoy it! I don't comment too often, but have decided to try to participate more.
So happy that you joined in!
I hope that my kids will still want to go to Disney with me when they are adults. They are currently 14 and 9. Also, I can't imagine letting them go to the park by themselves even with one being 14. Several years ago, when my oldest was 11, my husband had a conference at Disney and we all went with him. One day while he was at the conference, the girls and I went to DHS. Lauren (the 11 yr old) really wanted to ride RNRC, but her sister wasn't tall enough. I let her go through the single rider line by herself. After I walked her up to the line, her sister and I went and waited at the exit for her. I was a little nervous, but she is a pretty responsible kid and did have a phone in case she needed to call me. I also told her to just find a CM if she had any trouble.
It definitely is nerve wracking the first time you let them have a little independence at the parks. Our boys were 16 and 14 when we let the three go to MK while we had dinner at Narcoosees. I watched them go through secuity but really didn't relax completely until we saw them again after dinner. So I totally understand how you would feel.
Sorry your Cali Grill experience wasn't good. We've had several great meals there, but I'm not planning on it for April since there are so many new places I want to try.
CG has been a mixed bag for us. Their brunch is a total star though. I really hope they bring it back!
You are making me very happy that we are staying at the WL on our April trip. We haven't stayed there since 2013 and I'm really looking forward to staying there again. We haven't been to Geyser Point before so we will definitely have to try it.
Oh my gosh, there is nothing better than the Lodge! I hope you have the best time!
I laughed when I read about Jack having his bison burger before his dinner at CG When we were dating my husband and I used to have two dinners on a night out with a movie in the middle🤣. I was a busy nurse who often hadn’t eaten in hours as work was always hectic so needed food to enjoy the movie then after we’d go for a more relaxing meal to chat the night away as you do at 20 and in love :goodvibes
Love that! You two have been together since you were babies...how sweet is that!:goodvibes
Sorry your CG experience want great. We’ve only been once and weren’t impressed and in no rush to go back at those prices though I know lots of people rave about it. You do have a knack for ending your days on a high note though which makes me happy. Drinks and fireworks with friends (plus chocolate treats from excellent staff member) is simply the best!
I would definitely do the brunch again if they ever bring it back. There are some many other great places to have dinner that I would not bother with CG. Our night certainly ended in the best way possible! :love:

Love that! You two have been together since you were babies...how sweet is that!:goodvibes
We’ve been together longer than not lol. We met when I was 20 and he was 21. Married at 22 (Phil was 24 the week before the wedding) and will be our 34th anniversary in June 2022

lost my other quote :confused3 But I’d love to give the CG brunch a try. Figure you can’t go wrong as long as you’re serving unlimited mimosas 🥂

We’ve been together longer than not lol. We met when I was 20 and he was 21. Married at 22 (Phil was 24 the week before the wedding) and will be our 34th anniversary in June 2022
Congratulations! 34 years married is lovely! What date is your anniversary? Our anniversary is June 26th and in 2022 we will be celebrating 23 years. Of course we celebrated our first anniversary with Jack who was nine days old (also 5 weeks early) and then by the time we were married 3 years, we had a 2 year old and 3 month old twins! That's what happens when you don't get married until you are 33......no time to waste, lol!

Wow you definitely have me sold on GP, we still haven’t made it over there yet, one of these trips!
I’m glad your evening improved with HEA and visiting with dear Dis friends!

Congratulations! 34 years married is lovely! What date is your anniversary? Our anniversary is June 26th and in 2022 we will be celebrating 23 years. Of course we celebrated our first anniversary with Jack who was nine days old (also 5 weeks early) and then by the time we were married 3 years, we had a 2 year old and 3 month old twins! That's what happens when you don't get married until you are 33......no time to waste, lol!
Our anniversary is the 14th June. We had fully intended to emigrate to Canada after we got married as my sister-in-law went with her family the July after we got married but then they all came back home later that year as they missed everyone so we never made the move. We did visit both before and after we got married and I’d love to go back as my husband has Canadian cousins that we are close to and the boys have never been.
Unlike you my kids are years apart lol a 32yr old, a 24 yr old and an almost 15 yr old ( the surprise/ “nature’s last gasp” child that I may have confused with the menopause for almost 4 months😱🤣). Wouldn’t have planned it but wouldn’t change it for the world! ❤

Wow you definitely have me sold on GP, we still haven’t made it over there yet, one of these trips!
I’m glad your evening improved with HEA and visiting with dear Dis friends!
GP is the best! We will have to meet up there when we overlap in August.
Our anniversary is the 14th June. We had fully intended to emigrate to Canada after we got married as my sister-in-law went with her family the July after we got married but then they all came back home later that year as they missed everyone so we never made the move. We did visit both before and after we got married and I’d love to go back as my husband has Canadian cousins that we are close to and the boys have never been.
Unlike you my kids are years apart lol a 32yr old, a 24 yr old and an almost 15 yr old ( the surprise/ “nature’s last gasp” child that I may have confused with the menopause for almost 4 months😱🤣). Wouldn’t have planned it but wouldn’t change it for the world! ❤
Hey, we could have been neighbours! Where does your husband's family live? If you do come to visit and you end up near Toronto we will have to meet up!

Curious question....have you ever heard of NICE (Northern Ireland Children's Event)? My father was very involved with it in the 90's. It involved 12 children coming from Belfast to Prince Edward Island for three weeks in the summer. The Catholic kids would billet with Protestant families and vice versa. Most of the children were from areas quite hard hit by the troubles. They were so amazing to meet and loved their experiences on PEI. Also that was the first time I ever heard about brown sauce....the kids couldn't believe we didn't have it at camp. Once we worked it out that it was HP sauce, all was good.

With your babes nicely spread out like that you had the chance to really enjoy them as littles. For us, it was just a clump of craziness for several years, lol. But they are best friends and I wouldn't change it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter