Jambalaya?

DH makes both jambalaya & gumbo, but makes jambalaya more frequently because of the time gumbo takes to make due to the roux. (For Christmas one year, he made a turkey gumbo that was divine! We served it w/ Louisiana caught red fish.)

We put chicken, shrimp, & Andouille sausage in the jambalaya along w/ onions, bell pepper, & tomatoes, a couple of bay leaves & some other Cajun spices. We've always cooked the rice separately though.

This is now my kid's favorite song. I just found it randomly and my kid liked it.

The gumbo base from Blue Runner is so good in a pinch.

We seem to like our rouxs (gumbos) darker, so don't use the mix bases. A good friend taught me how to make a big batch in the oven (dry roux), then store in tight container in fridge (or cool place) for quite some time - so convenient for a little or a lot at a time. Have tried Karys, but also too light.

I do not use any tomato sauce, but a can of Muir Glen fire-roasted diced tomatoes, not as much liquid.

As for mixes, I love Tony Chachere's if you can find it. I like my jambalaya with chicken and sausage too.
I was traveling and picked some up at a supermarket. It was kind of expensive compared to Zatarain’s. It’s different. Maybe a bit too salty for me.

Revisiting an old thread (searching for an old food thread), but I found some Tony Chachere's creole seasoning at a dollar store. Thinking of putting it on mac and cheese.

When I make it I make the Zatarran's boxed mix. I'll usually add in smoked sausage, if I want extra heat I'll add hotlinks or an andoulle sausage. More often then not I'll have to add extra rice to tone down the spiciness for some members of our family.
I'm totally lazy, so I use Zatarain's as well. But I use brown and serve sausages, frozen shrimp, and extra rice so it's not so spicy (they also make a mild version).

Revisiting yet again. I tried it again but had some issues. It seemed almost perfect consistency (loose rice grains) using Zatarain’s out of a box after about 30 minutes. But then I let it stay there unrefrigerated and it was mushy within a couple of hours. Might have also forgotten to turn it down. I figure it’s better to not make so much unless it’s for a large group.

I’m not one who usually takes short cuts, and this recipe was simple. One of my kids isn’t a fan of peppers, so I just used 2 large jalapeños and a small can of diced green chilis (jalapeños gave it great heat). I do not like okra, so I keep file powder on hand. This was so good. https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/jambalaya-recipe/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter