Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Do you have to sign up for the Culinary Tour in advance, or do you just show up? Does anyone know how we could sign up for this if we are not yet at AKL? We arrive late-afternoon on 7/25 and want to do this on 7/26, as we'll be leaving on 7/27 :( .

Also... is it possible to do the wine tasting AND the culinary tour on the same day? Wine tasting is at Jiko at 3, culinary tour starts at Jiko at 4:15.

We too will be arriving noonish, staying at Kidani. With Boma closed and Mara limited, guess we'll go with Sanaa.
I think Vikster1 meant 12 as in midnight, at noon Mara should be fully operational.
That said, Sanaa is great for lunch, IMO, especially if you get a window table and can watch the zebras or giraffes cavorting.

Do you have to sign up for the Culinary Tour in advance, or do you just show up? Does anyone know how we could sign up for this if we are not yet at AKL? We arrive late-afternoon on 7/25 and want to do this on 7/26, as we'll be leaving on 7/27 :( .

Also... is it possible to do the wine tasting AND the culinary tour on the same day? Wine tasting is at Jiko at 3, culinary tour starts at Jiko at 4:15.

I'm not sure about how long the wine tasting lasts, but for the culinary tour you just show up.

We are booked for a savanna room at the end of the summer. Just noticed that they now have a standard available and we would save some $ by switching. It's me DH & DS (9) & DS (6). First time at AKL.

Will we regret not having that view? How bad is the Standard view? I'm torn. DH has been dreaming on having his morning coffe while watching the animals.

Note we spend plenty of time in the parks and at the pool.

We have now stayed in each category of rooms, as far as view (standard, pool, savanna). A savanna view is a really neat thing, but we don't feel it's necessary. In fact, I'm not sure if we would pay for that category again. Pool views are pretty awesome, and standard views can be pretty variable from partial savanna view to parking lot. But sometimes there are benefits to those other sorts of rooms. On our last stay we had what we thought upon arrival must be the worst room on the property; it turned out to be steps away from the bus (literally steps) and a short walk to the pool and Mara (less than 2 minutes). The view was nothing special, but we were still at an amazing resort and the animal viewing was never far away. In fact we spent a good deal of time one evening wandering around the *whole* resort finding new and different vantage points from which to watch them.

Epecially if you're not going to be in the room a whole lot, I would think you're fine to go with the Standard View. Besides, it encourages you somewhat to get out of your room and explore the amazing resort as a whole!!!

Recently back from our AKL stay (two nights at Jambo and one night at Kidani) and am I the only one who thinks the pool at Jambo is just awfully designed with how the fencing is?

We had a 3rd floor standard view room on the Kudu trail in April, and had animal views 24/7 because there was a watering hole outside our balcony. Giraffe, zebra, ostriches, cranes & more would be there to have a drink and relax under the shade of the trees. The room didn't have a sweeping view of the whole savanna (hence the standard view designation), but we had a great view of the animals.
Shanti what room# was it? and how close was it to the lobby and pool?

3261, I think. It was 3rd floor (same floor as the lobby) and it was close to the lobby- a 1 to 2 minute walk at your leisure- really convenient. The pool is a level down from the lobby, so it wasn't much of a walk there, either. I wouldn't have traded my room for any other- great views & super convenient. It was a king bed room, fyi.

Recently back from our AKL stay (two nights at Jambo and one night at Kidani) and am I the only one who thinks the pool at Jambo is just awfully designed with how the fencing is?

No, I agree. I loved the pool on our first trip to AKL. It was open and so, so beautiful when you stepped out the doors into the pool area. I was incredibly disappointed that the gorgeous view was altered by the fence when we returned for a second visit. At least the fencing material fits into the overall theme, but the entire look of the pool area has changed and not for the better, I think.

What are the current pool hours?
This is one aspect I am not excited about. The last stay was at GF and the pool there was open 24 hours. It was great for an end of day dip in the hot tub.

The culinary tour you just show up for, the wine tasting you book in advance. If you call to schedule the wine tasting they should be able to tell you the duration of the experience, I remember it being longer than an hour, but it was a couple years ago so I could be remembering incorrectly.

The culinary tour you just show up for, the wine tasting you book in advance. If you call to schedule the wine tasting they should be able to tell you the duration of the experience, I remember it being longer than an hour, but it was a couple years ago so I could be remembering incorrectly.
.....I'm thinking that all the WINE affected your memory too.....:rotfl: [ ;) ]

Month to month, is the calendar pretty much the same for times? We arrive on August 1, and am hoping to do a few of the activities THAT DAY. But, I assume the August calendar will not be out until that day...so not sure if I should plan for the times to be the same/similar?

.....I'm thinking that all the WINE affected your memory too.....:rotfl: [ ;) ]

That is also highly likely :teacher: :rolleyes1

We actually had to leave the wine tasting a little bit early because our flight home was moved up at the last minute, and we had already scheduled the tasting. Highly recommended experience if you like wine and will be at AKL.

That is also highly likely :teacher: :rolleyes1
:lmao:

gillep said:
We actually had to leave the wine tasting a little bit early because our flight home was moved up at the last minute, and we had already scheduled the tasting. Highly recommended experience if you like wine and AKL.

....ditto for BOTH.

I think Vikster1 meant 12 as in midnight, at noon Mara should be fully operational.
That said, Sanaa is great for lunch, IMO, especially if you get a window table and can watch the zebras or giraffes cavorting.

Yes, midnight. It could have been alittle earlier.

Can someone clarify the entrances/exits to the Mara? Is is true you can't enter from inside the resort, you need to walk on the outside path to enter? And same with exiting?

Can someone clarify the entrances/exits to the Mara? Is is true you can't enter from inside the resort, you need to walk on the outside path to enter? And same with exiting?

Correct, you exit the doors on the first floor by Boma and Jiko. It's a short walk to Mara from there and the entire walkway is covered so you're not exposed to sun or rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter