January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part V

Well, the camping trip got cut short by weather. We had a great evening, and around 2 a.m. the thunderstorms rolled in. I saw lightning, so we went to the car until around 6. The littlest one slept through the whole thing!!
So we got up and it stopped raining long enough to start breakfast. Of course then there was a downpour, so we packed most of our stuff in the vehicles and hightailed it to my friend's parents house a couple miles away. the forecast was for rain through the lunch hour and one of our tents got water in it. So we decided to give up. My friend went back to take the tents down later.
So we're home, of course now the weather is nice but windy and I'm putting music on my ipod because I'm too tired to do much else. We decided to have our s'mores and other campfire food on Thursday at our house. I was having my friends over anyway, and we have a fire pit! It's supposed to be good weather! Fingers crossed!
The girls had fun and said they want to do it again, so that's good!!
I hope everyone else is having a good weekend!

I'm guesing Meghan is the admin for this? I just signed up to be a member.
She's the admin so you'll have to wait a little longer :) I hope she's having a grand time and I can't wait to hear how her birthday trip went!

I'm on there if anyone wants to add me. Just tell me your Snowbirdie screen name so I'll recognize you as a friend. I'm Kim Rasel Greene or I think you can search me by my screen name Monny2AE. :flower3:
Well, the camping trip got cut short by weather. We had a great evening, and around 2 a.m. the thunderstorms rolled in. I saw lightning, so we went to the car until around 6. The littlest one slept through the whole thing!!
So we got up and it stopped raining long enough to start breakfast. Of course then there was a downpour, so we packed most of our stuff in the vehicles and hightailed it to my friend's parents house a couple miles away. the forecast was for rain through the lunch hour and one of our tents got water in it. So we decided to give up. My friend went back to take the tents down later.
So we're home, of course now the weather is nice but windy and I'm putting music on my ipod because I'm too tired to do much else. We decided to have our s'mores and other campfire food on Thursday at our house. I was having my friends over anyway, and we have a fire pit! It's supposed to be good weather! Fingers crossed!
The girls had fun and said they want to do it again, so that's good!!
I hope everyone else is having a good weekend!

So sorry you didn't get to have your s'mores:sad2: They're so yummy!

Hi, all, just checking in. I can't believe our August trip is coming up so quickly. Life is so busy, time just goes by. We have our basic planning done, ADR's made, transportation arranged...but I really don't have time to work on any fine details.

An August trip means Hot Hot Hot, so planning is very different than our January trip planning. I figure we have to be there at rope drop each day, take advantage of morning EMH's, take an afternoon break from the sun and then spend evenings in the park again. I think I need to shop for some more cool clothing...

So sorry you didn't get to have your s'mores:sad2: They're so yummy!
Oh and I'm craving them now too!! Good thing we have fire pit in the back yard - whenever we have a bonfire, that's all the kids want.

Hi, all, just checking in. I can't believe our August trip is coming up so quickly. Life is so busy, time just goes by. We have our basic planning done, ADR's made, transportation arranged...but I really don't have time to work on any fine details.

An August trip means Hot Hot Hot, so planning is very different than our January trip planning. I figure we have to be there at rope drop each day, take advantage of morning EMH's, take an afternoon break from the sun and then spend evenings in the park again. I think I need to shop for some more cool clothing...

Oh, I wish I had something done for our trip! We just put the final payment on our Disney Visa for our cruise. Trying to spread out the cost of this trip! We're going to get our park tickets at the military base in August when we visit MIL (She's got the benefits). But I'm glad I'm not going when it's that hot!! Try to find some of those workout type clothes that wick moisture - that might help. And light colors!
I'd try to plan to do indoor shows during the hotter parts of the day - get in the A/C! I hope you have fun and don't melt!

Hey Ladies!!!!! Well the heat is horrible here in Florida too...ughh heat index of 108 with 100% humidity, I have to take a shower just walking to my mailbox in the afternoons....I feel bad for my neighbors cuz we mow our lawn at 6am!!

So how have you all been!! I've been lurking around but haven't typed much sorry ladies!! Now that summer is here I'll just have to bug you all!!

Sarah...so glad to hear your surgery went well!!!!

Hey Ladies!!!!! Well the heat is horrible here in Florida too...ughh heat index of 108 with 100% humidity, I have to take a shower just walking to my mailbox in the afternoons....I feel bad for my neighbors cuz we mow our lawn at 6am!!

So how have you all been!! I've been lurking around but haven't typed much sorry ladies!! Now that summer is here I'll just have to bug you all!!

It's nice to hear from you and I see you have updated your TR and a PTR too!! I have to go read!! Hope other than the heat/humidity your summer is going well!:hug:

Things are going well, just have been very very busy!! Working on the house to get it ready to hope to sell in the Spring!! I have missed chatting with you all!!!! So what else is new???

Jen - I am so confused with all your trips! I know you went in May too - is there a TR somewhere for it yet? I love reading the TRs - it gives me so much info and entertainment to get me through til my next trip! I've been reading yours, Soleil's, Meghan's and anyone's links I stumble across. The dining reviews are fun too, but not on an empty stomach!:laughing:
Are you planning to move locally? Tell us more! Soleil sold her house too - but you probably knew that! Shelly aka mama snowbird is moving too.
I know lots of our snowbirds are going back in Jan. I'm bumping up to Dec. so I can take advantage of our cruise bounceback offer. It's only good through the first 1/2 of Dec. so we're booked at BLT from 12/6 - 12/10 and going on a three day on 12/10. We're hoping to add on a night at the beginning at AKL since we won't probably be getting to AK this trip. Waiting on a room only discount.
I can't remember if I posted in this thread or the 2010 but my girls were flower girls earlier this month so that and dance recitals kept us busy after school got out.
Now our summer is open! YAY! We're going to VA to visit MIL and SIL in August and are going to plan our ADRs etc. since they are going with us. (it still won't be at the 90 day mark yet! :( ) SIL heard how great our last trip was with DDP and the cruise and wants to do it all too!

Actually we will be moving to Texas next summer LOL!! Where is our mama bird moving to???

I need to find a link to Meghan's PTR for the trip she is on now did she do one??? If not I will have to bug her for her TR link LOL!!!!

Actually I didn't do a TR for May I'm letting LL do that since I went with her...however the Birthday extravaganza is all on me...I'm doing the PTR and TR for it LOL!

I think Shelly is staying local. She's been really busy getting ready too. She's working the 2010 thread mostly.

Meghan did a PTR and it's called something like Wishes Do Come True - a birthday trip. She last posted on it on 6/23 or 6/24 right before they left.
I'll have to check out LL's TR for May. I'm sure it will be good!!

Jen, We too will be going in Dec. I was ready to do the same week in Jan like last time...but Mike is a Christmas lover!!!!! He really has always liked it better than anything. So, he wants to go back for the festivities and decor!!!So, I think i should be off the hook for dragging out all our Christmas stuff here... but no, they will expect it at home as well! haaa!!!! I will be putting it up early tho'--like a week or 2 before Thanksgiving, becuase we will be doing school up til T-day, then Saylor will have his bday the day before we leave. I will let him do something before then---that's tooooo close for me!!! And of course, I will be packing and cleaning and planning like a maniac until the night before we go. SO....I will be at the CR Dec 5-13, unless we get a better deal the week before, or at a different resort.Keepin' those little fingers crossed!!! Sheree and her gang will be at BLT, so I plan to get with her. We met last year and she is great!! And yes, her little daughters are quite gorgeous!! I am gonna (someday!!) get Mike to help me figure out the whole picture thing on here, and I will put a couple of pics from the boys in their baseball uniforms this year. It was weird, they both ended up with Red shirts and the #11. Also,some of my little girls dance recital! They really were cute....but, I am sooooo illiterate with all this!!!!

Anyhoo....I am cleaning up our school room today....clearing out books we don't use anymore to make room for the new ones I am getting!!! I love new books!!!!! this should prove to be an allllll day chore. I worked on it once, but now I need to really finish it. We are going to be starting back with History and Science here pretty quick.:teacher:

My oldest son went to church camp last week--over in Baton Rouge, and had a BLAST!!!! It was really awesome from what I hear. So, we are glad he's home safely! Thats a pretty good little jaunt from where we live....but it was good, so it's okay!!! Anyway, give him a day or two to get back in the groove and then I am back to some days of learning!!!! Always an adventure!!!

We are still looking at maybe getting some rain today or tomorrow!!That would be a tremendous blessing. If we don't get some, I am thinking they may ban fireworks for next weekend---it's pretty dry here! Well, I am off to clean/organize! Hope ya'll have an awesome week!!!!

you all!!

Thanks!!! :hippie:

I think Shelly is staying local. She's been really busy getting ready too. She's working the 2010 thread mostly.

Meghan did a PTR and it's called something like Wishes Do Come True - a birthday trip. She last posted on it on 6/23 or 6/24 right before they left.
I'll have to check out LL's TR for May. I'm sure it will be good!!

Oh, man, a 2010 thread? Wow! I'm definitely not going back then. I did, however, just give the go-ahead to my TA today for a September trip! :dance3::dance3::dance3:

I had my post op appointment today and, well, hi from home! It was so surreal. "Wow, you're doing great!" "Wow, not much swelling!" "Wow, your muscles are already working again! That's great!!"

Me: I need a return to work authorization.
Them: Okay! When do you want to go back to work?
Me (thinking ???): Er, today? Husband thought tomorrow?
Them: Hem. Haw. Hem hem haw haw hem hemmmmm.
Me, with a sigh: Next Monday?
Them: YES! That's great!!!

So, next Monday it is. It's good, long-term, to stay off the knee, work it slowly, not overdo like one does at work, but ... sheesh!! (Sadly, the antibiotics for the root canal I had four days before (!!) my knee surgery have completely wrecked me so I'm not sure what to do. Can't take it. I would, however, like a break from these things!!) I can't decide if I should keep my knee elevated all of the time or sit up and play video games. Maybe a little of each?! ;)

Oooh I get to make a countdown ticker for Disney! Yay!!!

I'm tagging along on the 2010 Jan thread just because I can't leave my pals! The 2009 Dec. thread is sort of, well, slow.

Hello Snowbirds!

Glad you are doing better Sarah!

Yep, our move is locally. Only about 6-7 miles actually. We love our current house, but are not thrilled with the location - corner lot on a curve with lots of traffic and accidents. :sad2: So we put it up for sale not really expecting it to sell in this market, but we got a decent offer in about 3 months. The house we are moving into is slightly older (it's 11 years old, ours is 3) and it has been vacant for about a year and needs a little attention, but is actually very nice and we got it for a great price and even managed to lower our mortgage a bit! So after some extensive cleaning, new paint, and new flooring it will be great!

I did start a 2010 Snowbird thread. But now am not even sure if we are going in January. :guilty: We may take advantage of the free dining PIN I got for November. Hopefully we will know for sure soon. I will keep maintaining the 2010 thread until we know for sure.

We are set to close on the sale of this house and the purchase of the other house tomorrow if all goes well. :wizard: It has been a long excruciating process buying this house since the owners are in a nasty divorce, the house was pretty much abandoned, etc. So we will sure be glad when it is over!

I see this thread is nearing 250 pages. Do you guys want me to start a new one over on the community boards since this really isn't a January countdown thread anymore? That's what we did for another countdown I was on. We all wanted to stay in touch even though we weren't all necessarily going to WDW at the same time.

First of all good luck with the house closings tomorrow!!! I wish you and your family save moving!!!

I would love to have a place where we can all get in touch!

Keep us up to date on your plans for your trip Shelly!

Shelly, hoping it all goes smoothly and painlessly for you tomorrow!!! I love finding a house that just needs paint and new floors...kinda makes it more yours anyway!!! those are the best deals, really!!! since that's our business, we get to find really yucky places sometimes and work magic on them!!!It's amazing some of the before & afters we have. He doesn't do that as much anymore...we are mainly doing new around here, but I am always on the look out for a sweet little Granny house that needs a little TLC!!!!
yes, definitely get us a thread somewhere!! I am jealous ya'll are all moved over to the 2010!!!!! Hopefully you can get your trip time nailed down before too much longer....keep us posted!!!!!

Good luck, Shelley! Remember, this change is scary but GOOD!

And if you do start a new thread, please be sure to post the link on this one, so we can find you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter