January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part V

Thanks everyone!

My stomach is in knots right now. :sad2: I will be so happy when these closings are done tomorrow. But then we will have a lot of work ahead of us at the new house over the next week and a half until we move. Luckily our buyers are giving us a few weeks until we have to move out.

You are absolutely right Snyky - change is good but very scary!!

I will post a link when I start our new thread. I'll probably just call it the Snowbirds and put it in the community board section. Then we can continue to chat away! :hyper2:

Hello Snowbirds!

Glad you are doing better Sarah!

Yep, our move is locally. Only about 6-7 miles actually. We love our current house, but are not thrilled with the location - corner lot on a curve with lots of traffic and accidents. :sad2: So we put it up for sale not really expecting it to sell in this market, but we got a decent offer in about 3 months. The house we are moving into is slightly older (it's 11 years old, ours is 3) and it has been vacant for about a year and needs a little attention, but is actually very nice and we got it for a great price and even managed to lower our mortgage a bit! So after some extensive cleaning, new paint, and new flooring it will be great!

I did start a 2010 Snowbird thread. But now am not even sure if we are going in January. :guilty: We may take advantage of the free dining PIN I got for November. Hopefully we will know for sure soon. I will keep maintaining the 2010 thread until we know for sure.

We are set to close on the sale of this house and the purchase of the other house tomorrow if all goes well. :wizard: It has been a long excruciating process buying this house since the owners are in a nasty divorce, the house was pretty much abandoned, etc. So we will sure be glad when it is over!

I see this thread is nearing 250 pages. Do you guys want me to start a new one over on the community boards since this really isn't a January countdown thread anymore? That's what we did for another countdown I was on. We all wanted to stay in touch even though we weren't all necessarily going to WDW at the same time.

Sarah- hooray for the knee surgery going well!

Shelly- Thanks for taking the time from the chaos of moving to keep up the Snowbird thread. I'm crossing my fingers all goes smoothly. Good luck getting settled and making your new house a home. :goodvibes
Technically November is winter so you're still a Snowbird if you head south in Winter;). We were tempted to take advantage of the pin we got and go in December (someday I'm going to see the world at Christmas:santa:) but since DH and I have no vacation time left it will have to wait until January. I'm losing sleep already worried about getting a discount of sorts. We can't go Jan 2010 if there isn't a good enough offer :scared1:. It will have to wait until Jan 2011 if not and I do not want to wait that long! :headache:

Sarah- hooray for the knee surgery going well!

Shelly- Thanks for taking the time from the chaos of moving to keep up the Snowbird thread. I'm crossing my fingers all goes smoothly. Good luck getting settled and making your new house a home. :goodvibes
Technically November is winter so you're still a Snowbird if you head south in Winter;). We were tempted to take advantage of the pin we got and go in December (someday I'm going to see the world at Christmas:santa:) but since DH and I have no vacation time left it will have to wait until January. I'm losing sleep already worried about getting a discount of sorts. We can't go Jan 2010 if there isn't a good enough offer :scared1:. It will have to wait until Jan 2011 if not and I do not want to wait that long! :headache:

Thanks, everyone!!! I just ran into my neighbor, while I was getting the mail (boooooooored). She's a surgeon at the hospital and, of course, anyone on crutches gets a lot of attention. I discovered that she works with my surgeon's wife. Ha! Small world. She also has heard things about him as a lousy human being... compared to my LAST surgery/surgeon, this guy is a peach. And, actually, he and I communicate well. Mostly via email and phone, but we manage. Heck, he even gave me his cell number, which was a total :rolleyes: moment, since I really don't need to be able to reach an orthopaedic surgeon that easily. Oh well.

Amusingly, she also disagreed with my recovery time off and more with what I ended up with. Go figure!!

++++

I also want to go to Disney and see the Christmas display, but I can't right now. My schedule doesn't work that way and my boss has moments of being entirely inflexible. She's under this impression that I can't miss two days of work in December prior to a mid-January deadline. And this year, well, I might need yet more knee surgery and I don't want to even try to navigate on crutches!!

I'm starting the search for travel insurance, for the September trip, since it is during hurricane season. It's simply peace of mind!

And Shelly, do link here if you start a snowbird thread. That would be great!! Good luck with the closing - it was stressful when we bought our first house, never mind the seller nasty divorce/whole family/cleaning up that you need to deal with!!

I would love to follow along with you all if you start another thread. I like checking in to see what you all are doing, when you are going back to WDW, etc.

pixiedust:pixiedust:Pixie Dust for Shelly today! pixiedust:pixiedust:

I agree with Kim on this!!!

(Kim, I was pretty sure I had you sorted between Facebook/here, but thanks for the clarification!! :D)

So, does anyone have plans for the 4th? I turn 32.5 on Saturday! Isn't it nice that the nation has a party for me?! ;) We're actually going to see the comedy troupe Capitol Steps (they have a touring group and a group that stays in DC), and it's always a lot of fun... they do a great job mocking ALL politicians.

Me too...hoping your closings went without hassles today Shelly!!! Here's to a very smooth transition for you and your family!

Yes, let us know how the closing went. I'm sure you will feel much better when it is all over with.

Well for the 4th, we are going over to DH's parents house and spending the weekend. Between his parents and his brother they spent almost $550 in fireworks, so we have a lot to set off. We are either grilling brisket or ribs, not sure yet. Tommorrow is our 14th wedding anniversary. We are just going to hang out at the house with the boys. I might make pork chops with mushrooms, but not sure yet.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll have a blast. It will just be interesting. Eventhough the in laws house is on an acre lot, they practically have a farm. They have chickens, ducks, and geese. This year, they also have 2 goats. We know the birds do ok with the fireworks, just not sure on how the goats will do.

pixiedust:pixiedust:Pixie Dust for Shelly today! pixiedust:pixiedust:

I agree with Kim on this!!!

Me too...hoping your closings went without hassles today Shelly!!! Here's to a very smooth transition for you and your family!

Yes, let us know how the closing went. I'm sure you will feel much better when it is all over with.

Thanks so much everyone! :grouphug: Everything went very well today. Well except for the part where I was homeless for 3 hours in-between closings!! :laughing: I can laugh now, but I was a nervous wreck then!

We have a lot of work ahead of us over the next few weeks, but it will all be worth it in the end! :goodvibes

Thanks so much everyone! :grouphug: Everything went very well today. Well except for the part where I was homeless for 3 hours in-between closings!! :laughing: I can laugh now, but I was a nervous wreck then!

We have a lot of work ahead of us over the next few weeks, but it will all be worth it in the end! :goodvibes

:banana::banana:CONGRATULATIONS SHELLY!:banana::banana: That is great news on the closing front!!!

Good luck in the next couple of weeks!

Well for the 4th, we are going over to DH's parents house and spending the weekend. Between his parents and his brother they spent almost $550 in fireworks, so we have a lot to set off. We are either grilling brisket or ribs, not sure yet. Tommorrow is our 14th wedding anniversary. We are just going to hang out at the house with the boys. I might make pork chops with mushrooms, but not sure yet.
HAPPY 14th ANNIVERSARY!

It's a weird feeling to not anywhere to go in between. We had a day between our selling and buying and it was scary. We laid awake all night wondering if something went wrong where would we live. I'm happy you can relax for a little while now. Good luck with the moving and unpacking!

Thanks. I'm sure we'll have a blast. It will just be interesting. Eventhough the in laws house is on an acre lot, they practically have a farm. They have chickens, ducks, and geese. This year, they also have 2 goats. We know the birds do ok with the fireworks, just not sure on how the goats will do.

Let us know if they faint or anything!!!:rotfl:

congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you that the signings are behind you!!! You always have a feeling of 'what if...'. Now you can just be excited about getting packed and moved.once again, congrats!!

Oh, glad to hear it!!! :)

Just wanted to pop in and say "HI" to all the Snowbirds. I wish I was going again in January or another "slow". But as you can tell from my ticker...I'm going during Easter/Spring Break week. Not my ideal time...but at least it's a Disney trip.

Congrats on the new house Shelly.

I hope you Snowbirds don't mind but I'm going to be bugging you a lot from now on. No, I'm still not having a January trip (with baby coming, and all). I'm just very bored and missing Disney. Oh, and the fact that I'm stuck in my bed/couch for the next 20 weeks of my pregancy doesn't help.

So help a fellow, former Snowbird out . . . could you pass along some of your best Disney memories for me. I'm only into week one here and am losing it already. Any positve thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter