January 2012 Car Rentals

I have a full size car reserved for 1/8-15th with Alamo with a rate of $391.58 using a coupon from BJ's wholesale. I am hopeful that the price will come down between now and then.

1/8-15 with Alamo, full size, using code 7015504 (Visa code from Visa.com) and coupon code AD2338FDF (from same Visa site)
is $275.36 total

If anyone sees any deals or codes for SUV or Minivan, I'd love to hear them.
We don't pack light and have a stroller so the larger cars really help.

We are going Jan 7 to Jan 16. Currently the best I can find is ~$400 before the fees (~$45/day). I've been bidding on priceline in the mid-30s without any luck.

I'll let you know if I find a deal, in the meantime I'm just hoping the prices drop.
Thanks!

Alamo, using codes from visa.com (7015504, coupon AD2338FDF), you can get an SUV (Jeep Cherokee) for $375.55 total. Minivan is a lot higher though.

Out of impatience and the fact I like to have everything paid off well in advance before my trip... mainly my impatience... LOL.

I booked my car rental for my January trip through Priceline. "Name your price"
I was having a hard time finding a good rate.

I checked a bunch of places..tried to apply coupons..you name it!
I found great "weekly" rates but then when I added my 2 additional days on to my reservation it jacked the prices up huge. $300+ for the rental...yikes !!

I went through priceline again as I have had great luck with them in the past...It accepted my bid of $16 a day for Compact Car. I started at $14 then $15 but that was too low.
With taxes my 9 day rental was $229.08 w/unlimited kms. ($25.45 a day including tax) I'm happy with that!
The car rental is with Hertz.. which is now in the Terminal at MCO so no more having to shuttle. My last 3 priceline wins have been through Hertz and I've never had any problems with them!

I'm renting for 10 days in January (18-28), but I have to say, it's way too early to worry about high prices. Yes, it's good to monitor, but don't panic. I just returned last weekend and my price on National did not drop until 4 days before my departure. I took a peek at my previous January rentals and I've always managed to get great prices for January.

2011 14 day rental total $232
2010 10 day rental total $152

I've rented this year in January, May, August, and October and I've found the rates to stay high until just weeks prior. As long as you have a Saturday night stay and not renting during the holiday weekend, we/you should see some decent rates.

I'm renting for 10 days in January (18-28), but I have to say, it's way too early to worry about high prices. Yes, it's good to monitor, but don't panic. I just returned last weekend and my price on National did not drop until 4 days before my departure. I took a peek at my previous January rentals and I've always managed to get great prices for January.

2011 14 day rental total $232
2010 10 day rental total $152

I've rented this year in January, May, August, and October and I've found the rates to stay high until just weeks prior. As long as you have a Saturday night stay and not renting during the holiday weekend, we/you should see some decent rates.

Where were those car rentals through??...I have rented every January for the past 8 years on the week over my birthday which is the 19th...and have never found a rental that low in Orlando for that week. Those are super fantastic prices!

Where were those car rentals through??...I have rented every January for the past 8 years on the week over my birthday which is the 19th...and have never found a rental that low in Orlando for that week. Those are super fantastic prices!

They were both through National. Using the Emerald Aisle (I'm Executive Aisle member). These are all rentals for an intermediate size car and I've always gotten something larger (though it's not a guarantee that something bigger will be there). Executive club members are guaranteed a full size car, but can choose a larger one if there's one available from the Emerald Aisle or the Executive Aisle. In 2011 we had a Ford Edge and in 2010 we had a T&C minivan. Just watch the boards for the latest discount codes and coupons. Sadly I keep seeing folks use priceline and they often seem to have buyer's remorse. I would suggest anyone using the bidding process to not revisit the boards to see if the price dropped as it can be a bummer.

I've rented for a week in January, intermediate car with either National or Alamo and I don't ever remember paying more than $105. I assure you the rates will drop. I and could not agree with n2mm enough, if you lock in a price with priceline now because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside then go right ahead. However do not visit these boards after Jan 1 unless you want to see a bunch of people rejoicing over getting a better price than you, often much better.

I just went back and checked my Credit card statements for my 2011 trips:

9 day rental Sept 2011 LAX (DL trip) Alamo intermediate $97.27

1 week rental Jan 2011 MCO Alamo intermediate $101.25 (it killed me to pay $100+)

1 week rental May 2011 MCO Alamo intermediate $64.95

I've rented for a week in January, intermediate car with either National or Alamo and I don't ever remember paying more than $105. I assure you the rates will drop. I and could not agree with n2mm enough, if you lock in a price with priceline now because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside then go right ahead. However do not visit these boards after Jan 1 unless you want to see a bunch of people rejoicing over getting a better price than you, often much better.

I just went back and checked my Credit card statements for my 2011 trips:

9 day rental Sept 2011 LAX (DL trip) Alamo intermediate $97.27

1 week rental Jan 2011 MCO Alamo intermediate $101.25 (it killed me to pay $100+)

1 week rental May 2011 MCO Alamo intermediate $64.95

It doesn't bother me to see people get a deal... I am happy for them.
That is a fantastic deal for $64.95 for Alamo..considering just their taxes ,and fees alone on my previous week rentals with Alamo in Orlando have been $70-$80..

If I was to book my rental with Hertz directly for my travel dates I would have paid almost double..

Unlimited Free Miles Included
1 week at 221.00 USD 221.00 USD
2 extra days at 44.35 USD 88.70 USD
Rate Details
Airport Concession Fee Recovery On Flight Arrivals 31.93 USD
Customer Facility Charge: 12.50 USD
Rental Surcharge 18.27 USD
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery 4.34 USD
ENERGY SURCHARGE 1.03 USD
Taxes 24.56 USD
Vehicle Subtotal 402.33 USD

I went with Priceline last year for 1/17/11 to 1/21/11, got an economy with National

Your Offer Price: $12.00 (per day)
Total Rental Days: 5 days(4 days and 5 hours)
Subtotal: $60.00
Taxes and Fees:
$45.57
Total Charges: $105.57
Lowest Published Price: $272.52 (USD)
Total Savings:* $166.95 (USD) (You saved 61%)

We actually had to stay another day because of snow and National matched the $12 for the extra day. Whew!

I think this year I'll try and hold off until beginning of January and rent conventionally.

I've decided to reserve a car in the next couple of days at the best current rate I can find making sure it is a reservation that I can cancel and just keep checking for better rates.

I'm so thankful I reserved our car when I did. We are renting from MCO on the 20th and returning to TPA on the 28th and our price went from $246.85 to 871.52!!! GULP!

The rates are really high for Jan!! I will just keep checking until I find something that we are willing to pay.

I just got a quote from Alamo from Jan. 8 to 16 for $256.67 including unlimited kms and extra driver from MCO.

Anyone know if this rate will still drop?

I just got our rate down with Alamo using a coupon from BJ's Wholesale. Our dates are Jan 8th-15th. My new rate is $208.50.:cool1: for a full size car.

These rates are still about twice what I would expect to pay for this period.

when I first booked about 2 months ago my starting rate was $325.00. i am sure by the time January 8th comes, my current rate of $208.50 will be much less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter