JAWS need a little help...

Sherrilatte

Bad to the Bone
When we experienced Jaws, it was not very impressive. I know the thrill rides are in IOA, but something should be done to revamp this attraction--add a show if possible---something please. And the smell of the water, especially in the boat enclosure on the the last leg of the attraction is nauseating, it needs a little chlorine or something. After they are finished with Posideons Fury, they need to scurry over to JAWS for a little lift. The theming is great, but thats about it. Splashing more water would be great if they could remove the "dead fish effect" first...

You have a point some people love Jaws and other people just think it is lame. I have heard that jaws had an oil spill a month ago. Maybe thats what you smell.

Here is my opinion (as if anyone asked):
I have always loved this ride. I'm not sure why, but I have always found it fun. I went a few days ago and i had a great time. The ride speiler guy we had did a great job. He was very enthuastic. I think his name was Kev or Kevin. Anyway it was still cool. I like he smell too. And I don't consider it a thrill ride, it doesn't have any inversions or drops or simulators, you are supposed to be entertained by the Shark jumping out at you or the crashes in the dark boathouse.

The ride that needs to be renovated IMO is Kong. It just is not cool anymore. People get off of JAWS and you can tell they had fun. People get off of Kong and they are like "That was lame man, lets go ride Spiderman." I think they should make some of the drops more intense and make the ride a little longer and do some basic renovating. When I was a little kid the ride was kind of cool, but now when you watch the newscast featuring your vehicle you see a bunch of people who look bored.

Just in the fact that I posted, I welcomed your opinion;)
Maybe your guide guy on JAWS was a bit "livelier" that ours. That can definitely make or break the enjoyment of an attraction that's not geared to be a thrill-a-second ride...Btw, I think Kong is really cute for kids and I remembered smelling banana breath the last time we were there which was a few years ago, but I didn't smell it this time(maybe it depends on which side of the ride you're on)...and that was the downer for me...:D

I agree that the 'tour guide' can make or break your ride. I've had several, some that sounded like they're reading and others that REALLY got into it! What a difference it makes.

I can't STAND that smell, either! I dread that enclosure where it's the strongest also. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Fboy, there was an oil spill? It does smell like a chemical of some sort. Any details on that?

For a different Jaws experience, ride it at night. The ride is a lot better if the skipper is really into it.

That smell is dead shark. It's supposed to smell that way.

Mmmmm... tastes like chicken! ;)

I have to agree that the boat captain does make a difference. The first time I rode it the captain wasn't very good, so the next time I rode first thing in the morning. MUCCH better! Gettem while they're fresh!

I would classify it as an oil "leak", not spill. The hydraulic oil used is not considered dangerous or toxic in any way.

I have always been a big fan of the Jaws ride and I'm a little surprised to see such a downbeat assessment. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

I agree with Barry that the ride is especially fun at night!

Barry has a good suggestion but most of us who come visit to Universal resorts and parks in the spring and summer (when school is out /family vacation) will never get to experience the park at night because of the limited hours--they close at or before dusk. Maybe one day US will provide limited nighttime hours during the summer/spring season so we enjoy this alternate experience. :cool:

You don't need to wait till the sun goes down. Just wear some really dark sunglasses. :cool:

Since about 2 weeks ago, we have been closing at 10pm. This closing time will last into late August, at the least. By the way, we do this every year.

Actually, in February, the park closed at around 7 pm and it was dark enough to ride Jaws at night at around 6:30 or so.

If anyone thought that the shark in the movie was real, then I could see how seeing it in person would be a disappointment. If you want to see Bruce, the shark from the first Jaws movie, he is in the Boneyard at the Studios. Otherwise, use a little imagination and enjoy the ride. I agree that the Captain can make or break the experience for some, but think of "Jaws" as Universal's version of "Jungle Cruise" but with a little more bite and don't try to hold it to a thrill ride label. Riding at night is a much better experience. I did it at HHN one time and found it much more surprising. Still not thrilling, just surprising. Universal Studios doesn't really have any thrilling rides except for BTTF, so sit back and hope that there is a slight breeze to blow away that smell from the gas for all of the fire effects and...
HAVE FUN

We rode with Barry and H20jag's family at "night" in early March. Parks closed early, but it was dark enough to make a difference and it was one of the best Jaws experience we ever had! :bounce:
Don't have to wait for late summer hours. Ride it near the park closing time whether summer or not. It will be a totally different experience.. ;)

BTW my family loves Kong. This was the rite of passage for our grandson's - their first scary ride when young and not sure of the difference between reality and make believe. It will always be special to us.
:)

Tony M...
Children that can retain their love for theme parks into their adulthood are some of the most imaginative people I know. They don't have to be told to use it. And btw, who compared JAWS to a thrill ride? I didn't. And there were no comparisons made in any of the other posts that I read on this thread, with the exception of yours.

Btw, I have to admit that Kong is on my "must do" list too.

Since I still have some time to arrange my vacation to enjoy those later hours IOAtech mention, I may indeed get to see Jaws at night, but I'm still wearing a nose clip:cool:, and if I don't I'll just take Eetsoop's advice and break out the really dark shades :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter