Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

While there were no park photographers with this particular group, the TM’s with the characters were wonderful at offering to snap photos with guest cameras.

I still haven't met Patrick! I hope we get to this trip.

I asked if he wanted to use two of our Express tickets to ride together, and after he got past the initial shock of the offer, he JUMPED at the chance. In we went.....this was a big step for yours truly!!! :eek:

And the ride? Well, it turns out that I LOVED it! :thumbsup2 I can't believe I hadn't been brave enough to try it in all of our previous trips :blush:. I felt like Queen of the World and the bravest person in the park as we exited, and I think Steve was just about the happiest guest of the day :). Topping off the whole fun experience, as we wandered back out into the sunshine, we saw that one of the Transformers was out meeting guests :woohoo:. To celebrate my "big personal accomplishment", we took a quick detour to get in on a photo. We waited less than five minutes for our turn …. so awesome!

Congrats! I braved Transformers once and it made me feel sick.

It turns out he’s quite an important fellow where Universal is concerned. Who knew? :confused3

Ooo I'm actually reading a book about the creation of Universal. It's about Jay Stein, but Lew Wasserman was his boss and is mentioned in it a lot too.

That's great you got express passes for your time that you guys waited. It was probably a good thing to have at Xmas time.​

I think I've told you this before Gina, but you and Steve has the patience of saints! I definitely need to try and model that behavior from you as I'm not always the most level headed. I'm glad after all of the setbacks you guys had a relatively chill start to your Universal day!

We've rarely found that losing our minds on someone ever makes the situation better. As long as a person seems like they are trying to fix a problem, I can have infinite patience while they work it out. When I do get pushed beyond that point of no return, I tend to smolder quietly and shoot the offender "the look of death" more often than I do yell and scream. Jake tells me that look is far scarier than anything that may come out of my mouth :rolleyes1. He would know, he's been on the receiving end of my wrath on more than one occasion!! :rotfl2:

...and P.S. I'm super proud of you for getting on Tranformers!! Maybe this will be the start of a more dare devil Gina? I hope to hear that you gave a couple other rides a shot!!

Oh, I think you will be VERY proud of me before this trip report is over!! :thumbsup2 I stretched my limits more than once!

Highly qualified and humble too

:p

I still haven't met Patrick! I hope we get to this trip.

Congrats! I braved Transformers once and it made me feel sick.

Ooo I'm actually reading a book about the creation of Universal. It's about Jay Stein, but Lew Wasserman was his boss and is mentioned in it a lot too.

I am hoping to see the Madagascar penguins on this vacation. I have heard they were seen in the parks over spring break, so I sure hope they are sticking around a little while longer!

That's great you got express passes for your time that you guys waited. It was probably a good thing to have at Xmas time.​

They were very nice to have, though the park wasn't crazy busy (not nearly as bad as we had anticipated). Even if we can cut a line from 20 minutes down to 5, though, that's time saved for something else :thumbsup2.

Yay!! I've been waiting on this TR (and yes, feel free to post the photos :) ).

Congrats on riding Transformers!

At least all the guest service stuff was now done on your bonus time, that would give me some patience. I would get impatient waiting if I'm missing scheduled time in the park or wherever.

I do like how much easier a lot of the character meets are at Universal. I was so excited, and made my non Simpsons friend, to meet Sideshow Bob and Krusty together. My friend was a good photographer and got several good pics of the interaction. It was way better than the Bart and Lisa or Bart and Homer meets from the last trip. I was actually a bit disappointed with the Minions, there wasn't a line when we got out, which was great, but they didn't do anything to interact.

I can't wait to hear what other new rides you do. I can't do Transformers and have a hard time with the Minions. The simulators get to me, so I have to close my eyes and that doesn't help when I'm moving. They don't make me sick exactly but I don't like them. I had the same problem on Star Tours at DHS.

If you tried Transformers, I hope you tried Spiderman, too. The latter is an all-time favorite!

We've rarely found that losing our minds on someone ever makes the situation better. As long as a person seems like they are trying to fix a problem, I can have infinite patience while they work it out. When I do get pushed beyond that point of no return, I tend to smolder quietly and shoot the offender "the look of death" more often than I do yell and scream. Jake tells me that look is far scarier than anything that may come out of my mouth :rolleyes1. He would know, he's been on the receiving end of my wrath on more than one occasion!! :rotfl2:
I'm just very straight forward and if I get pushed to a certain limit I have no problem voicing my dis-satisfaction. I should give myself a little credit though, I do agree with you that if someone its truly trying their best to fix an issue I will be more patient with them. I would have been alright with the ticket counter debacle. I wouldn't NOT have been so quiet with the photo people basically telling me I was wrong.
Poor Jake, I'm pretty sure we can all say we've gotten that "look" from our mothers at one point or another!

Oh, I think you will be VERY proud of me before this trip report is over!! :thumbsup2 I stretched my limits more than once!
Cant wait to hear all about it!!

one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to visit Universal is the whole simulator things. I have ridden Star Tours and gotten sick and I rode an Expedition Antarctica thing at Sea World San Diego that made me ill and ruined the rest of the afternoon. Bravo to making through. I do have stronger motion sickness medicine now, so I may test Star Tours again in Sept..... or not. :-)

one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to visit Universal is the whole simulator things. I have ridden Star Tours and gotten sick and I rode an Expedition Antarctica thing at Sea World San Diego that made me ill and ruined the rest of the afternoon. Bravo to making through. I do have stronger motion sickness medicine now, so I may test Star Tours again in Sept..... or not. :-)
I don't normally get motion sickness, but Star Tours is tough for me too. I don't have any issues on Transformers or Spiderman. The only ones that seem to bother me occasionally are Forbidden Journey and Despicable Me.

Yay!! I've been waiting on this TR (and yes, feel free to post the photos :) ).

Congrats on riding Transformers!

Yay! :cheer2: You found us! Thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

And a huge thanks for being okay with us sharing the photos of that awesome tour. What incredible experiences, and such cool memories. Getting to meet you in person was the icing on the cake :).

Ah, Transformers. We dragged Duncan on that one. We knew he would love it and he did! I'm glad you did too!

Duncan and I would be great vacation buddies, don't you think? :laughing:

At least all the guest service stuff was now done on your bonus time, that would give me some patience. I would get impatient waiting if I'm missing scheduled time in the park or wherever.

I do like how much easier a lot of the character meets are at Universal. I was so excited, and made my non Simpsons friend, to meet Sideshow Bob and Krusty together. My friend was a good photographer and got several good pics of the interaction. It was way better than the Bart and Lisa or Bart and Homer meets from the last trip. I was actually a bit disappointed with the Minions, there wasn't a line when we got out, which was great, but they didn't do anything to interact.

I can't wait to hear what other new rides you do. I can't do Transformers and have a hard time with the Minions. The simulators get to me, so I have to close my eyes and that doesn't help when I'm moving. They don't make me sick exactly but I don't like them. I had the same problem on Star Tours at DHS.

Very, very true. The fact that this was all "bonus" time made any delays much easier to bear. We hadn't expected ANY park time on that Saturday, and yet we had virtually a full day of fun. Certainly nothing to complain about there :thumbsup2.

I found Transformers to be far less bothersome than Minions. Much as I love the Minions, it gives me a very spinny head (and Steve, who can do almost any coaster he can fit in, has a terrible time on the Minions ride). We have both agreed, for future visits, to visit the Minions in the store but to leave the ride alone :sick:.

If you tried Transformers, I hope you tried Spiderman, too. The latter is an all-time favorite!

Ah.....not telling yet ;). But you'll find out sooner rather than later just how far my 'bravery' stretched.

I'm just very straight forward and if I get pushed to a certain limit I have no problem voicing my dis-satisfaction. I should give myself a little credit though, I do agree with you that if someone its truly trying their best to fix an issue I will be more patient with them. I would have been alright with the ticket counter debacle. I wouldn't NOT have been so quiet with the photo people basically telling me I was wrong.
Poor Jake, I'm pretty sure we can all say we've gotten that "look" from our mothers at one point or another!

Cant wait to hear all about it!!

Trust me, there are times where I think having a voice is definitely warranted. There have been moments where I wished I was the type of person who could just say what I was thinking. I think it would be better for my blood pressure, too :lmao:.

I don't normally get motion sickness, but Star Tours is tough for me too. I don't have any issues on Transformers or Spiderman. The only ones that seem to bother me occasionally are Forbidden Journey and Despicable Me.

I found that Star Tours and Wild Artic (at SeaWorld) are MUCH worse than Transformers. Wild Arctic, in particular, was AWFUL for both of us.

At Universal, I find Simpsons and Minions to be the worst of the simulators. They were one and done for me. The others, I quite enjoy.

At Universal, I find Simpsons and Minions to be the worst of the simulators. They were one and done for me. The others, I quite enjoy.
I forgot about the Simpsons! That one is the WORST! I went on it once and said never again. Maybe I am more prone to motion sickness than I'd like to admit :rotfl2:

Saturday, December 17th (continued) :santa:

After enjoying our beverages in Diagon Alley, we strolled around a bit before moving onward toward Springfield. Our friends were not yet in the park, though the had texted that they were soon ready to make our way to the Studios from breakfast, so we thought we’d take in a few additional attractions before they arrived. I took a photo of London as we were leaving, just so I could remember how wonderfully uncrowded it was that morning. It was hard to believe it was only a week until Christmas Eve, when the parks would be shoulder-to-shoulder :crowded:.

DSCF1647_zps2f2j6hbx.jpg

Since you already know that we love the Simpsons, you have probably already figured out that we also adore Springfield. We love the bright colours, the upbeat vibe, the straight-from-the-sitcom food options, and the music (yes, I have to consciously restrain myself from dancing down the street when “The Bartman” song is playing). It’s an atmosphere of unbridled fun, and we could spend copious amounts of time just in this area of the park.

15871726_10155353368386416_1761462455306296262_n.jpg

We hopped in line for a quick spin on the Twirl ‘n Hurl. The ride was a walk-on, so we only had to wait until the ride in progress was over before we were boarded into our alien vehicles.

15894234_10155353369216416_7679884283790386737_n.jpg

15826198_10155353368586416_5836468104296830400_n.jpg

Next, we headed to one of my personal favourites: ET. I just adore this ride, even though its old and cheesy and probably as outdated as they come at Universal. To me, it has a kind of classic appeal, and is happily right at the perfect “thrill” level (or, as Steve would say, “it’s a chicken ride”). He enjoys it too, though, and we both considered it a good use of our complimentary Express Passes. The posted standby wait was 40 minutes :eek: so it was well worth an EP use.

15894997_10155353370376416_623499493442330634_n.jpg

After the ride was over (and ET’s planet was saved……hooray!) we stopped for a Photoconnect picture in ET’s toy closet. Unfortunately, this one turned out a little out of focus: a bit disappointing, since it was the only time we stopped for ET photos the entire trip.

15697501_10155325073221416_6276207515242057793_n.jpg

We had just left the ET gift shop when the text came in…..our friends were now inside the park! We agreed on a convenient meeting spot (in front of Schwab’s Pharmacy) and Steve and I made haste toward Hollywood. On the way, however, we did have to stop and admire more of the Macy’s parade balloons that were stationed on the corner outside the Horror Make-Up Show.

15895327_10155353369506416_6310474780948246015_n.jpg

15940556_10155353368691416_4989547518115181040_n.jpg

15826401_10155353370896416_3447579884276186903_n.jpg

And……we ran into Beetlejuice on the way! Interaction with Beetlejuice is always so much fun, so we had to stop for a fast photo and animated chat.

15825993_10155353370321416_7706372174149579328_n.jpg

Leaving Beetlejuice to the next guest, we headed straight to Schwabs where Kerry, Robert and David were patiently waiting for us at one of the outdoor tables. We exchanged an excited round of hugs :hug: and introductions [while Kerry and I had been chatting daily for almost a year, this was the first time our families had been able to all meet each other in person] and took the time to just bask in the goodness of that wonderful moment. THIS was the Christmas gift I had been looking forward to most :goodvibes.

Now that we had finally all gathered as a group, we considered our next move. We assured Kerry and Robert that we didn’t need to leave for a while yet (they knew we still had to check in at the Grande Vista) so we opted to enjoy some park time together while the opportunity presented itself. We let David choose which attraction he wanted to take part in, and his decision was swiftly made: Barney!

15826066_10155353370431416_5218785234003858891_n.jpg

Full disclosure: I have a soft spot for Barney. Jake adored Barney as a little boy, and we had every VHS tape that was ever produced. I knew the songs by heart, and for many years, I suspect I may have even sang them in my sleep. Even though Jake had long since passed the Barney stage, that big purple dinosaur still held a special place in my heart.

So, the four of us all headed over to Woody Woodpecker’s Kid Zone. We checked the show times for Barney, and noted that we had a little bit of time before it was necessary to get in line……so, not to waste a moment of fun, we encouraged the boys to ride Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster. Steve’s never met a coaster he didn’t like, and had never rode this particular coaster on any of our previous visits. He was a bit worried that he might not fit in the small cars, but Robert assured him that if *he* fit, then Steve would too. That’s all the convincing Steve needed, as our trio of guys bounced off to join the line to board. Kerry and I watched their smiles from the sidelines: we agreed that it was hard to say who was having the most fun.

DSCF1659_zpssiyb0h4c.jpg

After Woody’s coaster, we took our place in the short line for the next showing of A Day in the Park with Barney. We had very few folks in front of us, so we were able to snag front row seats much to David’s obvious delight.

15873510_10155353368346416_6293706489659263040_n.jpg

The show itself was very cute, full of Barney songs (all of which we still could still remember the words to!) and with a special holiday overlay in celebration of the Christmas season.

Along with traditional Barney favourites (“We’re on our way, we’re on our way, on our way to Grandpa’s Farm”):

15826035_10155353368071416_1953198680224358443_n.jpg

…..the show also featured some holiday songs and one of the adorable Universal snowmen.

15895363_10155353368076416_9051564476624263161_n.jpg

After the show ended, the cheery host invited anyone who wished to meet Barney to join him over to the side of the auditorium. In a wonderful gesture of kindness, the host then made her way over to where our fivesome was sitting and asked if David would like to have a special meeting with Barney before the other guests took their turn. I am sure she had noticed how much joy the show had brought him (it is one of his favourite attractions at Universal) and we all thought her offer was beyond sweet. Universal TM’s rock! :thumbsup2 Of course, David was happy to accept, so the host called over to the other TM’s who would be working the meet-and-greet and asked her to hold the line until David had time for a hug and some photos.

DSCF1680_zpsp8e7e2ek.jpg

Robert, Kerry and David all hopped in for a family photo first. Then, Steve and I joined David for a second picture.

15895112_10155353379206416_6364951192518424674_n.jpg

By this time, Steve and I were getting pretty hungry (our early breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express was starting to wear off), so Kerry and her guys agreed to join us for some lunch at Mel’s Diner. It was close by, we all liked the food there (simple diner fare like burgers and chicken strips) and it would be a good opportunity to get out of the noon heat.

DSCF1705_zps3pickgax.jpg

It was pretty busy but we managed to all get a table together. Steve and I really like the 60’s theme here: from the vintage cars outside to the juke boxes in each booth, its well carried out and a lot of fun.

DSCF1682_zps0bfnk0qs.jpg

David, despite his slender frame, eats like a horse; burgers are his FAVOURITE food in the world. He and Steve are two peas in a pod in that regard. I’m not sure how many he polished off at that sitting, but it was fun to watch his complete enjoyment of the meal. Steve had a burger and fries while I had a chicken strips and onion rings. We both ordered milkshakes: chocolate for Steve and vanilla for me. We enjoyed it all, but the onion rings were especially good.

DSCF1684_zpsjp89xggk.jpg

After lunch, we headed toward the New York section of the park: the boys were eager to ride the Mummy. Neither I nor Kerry have the courage to conquer that ride, so we were happy to tour around the charming streets while the guys indulged in some coaster thrills.

15873168_10155353406836416_22367918717576492_n.jpg

15895422_10155353406676416_5513501892587005489_n.jpg

The Christmas decorations were so fitting for this area of the park: they were so classy and were neither overstated nor under-done. We took the time to take in all the little details like the displays in the store windows: charmingly decorated and perfectly done.

15825828_10155353393161416_8827976538536713686_n.jpg

The Christmas Store on the corner of Central Park was a hot spot, for sure: at this time of year, a stop there is a must-do for most guests. Where our budget was concerned, it was a very GOOD thing that we were in the process of moving; it was the only thing that stopped me from going minion-crazy and purchasing a slew of holiday ornaments. The less I bought on this trip, the less I would have to pack and move.

15895251_10155353396871416_2326375956133619766_n.jpg

15941191_10155353404996416_5600311283042860443_n.jpg

Central Park was equally as festive and adorable, all decked out in the most lovely holiday finery. Pine garland, cheery Santa hats, red satin bows and beautiful fresh poinsettias brought a special kind of holiday cheer to an already lovely section of the Studios.

15871432_10155353390306416_172629523601598974_n.jpg

15894929_10155353390216416_6449288450101746320_n.jpg

15894751_10155353395516416_4536782289465049785_n.jpg

Just to keep things fun, there was also a huge “Horton Hears A Who” Macy’s balloon …. the more balloons we saw as we toured through the park, the more excited I was getting to see the parade!!! :hyper:

15826617_10155353399741416_8712689475047480779_n.jpg

The centerpiece of that area, however, was the MASSIVE tree outside the Macy’s facade. It stretched to the sky and was massive at the base. Decorated very simply with shiny balls in the colors of red, gold and silver, it was stunningly elegant…..and I guessed (quite accurately) that it would be equally as spectacular at night.

15894510_10155353391906416_8453388339002966740_n.jpg

15940521_10155353393186416_902224029942428561_n.jpg

15873389_10155353388051416_1775333399364969731_n.jpg

The boys emerged from the Mummy with big grins and brimming with excitement: as always, the coaster was a hit! We had their ride picture added to our Photoconnect card……we would get our money’s worth from that purchase on this trip alone.

15697841_10155325079146416_371620443759654921_n.jpg

Coming up: we’re not done at Universal yet. We were too excited to wait until later in the week…..let’s catch the Macy’s Parade TONIGHT!

15941205_10155353388006416_8346900678335224436_n.jpg

I forgot about the Simpsons! That one is the WORST! I went on it once and said never again. Maybe I am more prone to motion sickness than I'd like to admit :rotfl2:

I think the designers of that ride have iron stomachs :sick:. The story line was so cute, but I couldn't fully appreciate it when I was just praying for the torture to be over as quickly as possible :rotfl:.

Yahoo to bravery on Transformers! I've only ridden it once, but my teenaged son loved it and rode it several times on our November trip :) I have always said I'm game to ride pretty much anything, but I fear middle age may be kicking in. We went to Dollywood over spring break, and a few of those coasters almost did me in!

Awe what a fun meet up! I still remember all the Barney songs too lol and it's only been about 20 years since I've actually seen an episode. That's so awesome the TM set up a special M&G for David! I haven't had the chance to eat at Mel's yet. Every time we are at Universal I say we should stop but never get around to it. I'm sure it was nice to have Kerry to explore with while the guys went on some coasters.

My DD was completely Barney obsessed as well!

(My DD would die of embarrassment, but Barney played a big role in her young life....Potty training her was a breeze, because she didn't want to wet her special Barney undies!)

I'd forgotten just how sweet that show was...thanks for revisiting it!!

What a nice gesture for David! My daughter absolutely loved Barney when she was young. I think we had every VHS tape ever made also. Now that she has a son, who is 19 months old, I have sang the 'I Love You' song to him all his life, as I did his mom. Sweet memories. :love:

Last edited:
I'm very proud of your bravery for riding the coasters. Tony would absolutely love it if I would get on a roller coaster, but there is no way in the world that would ever happen. That's why he has an "adventure wife" to do things like bungee jumping and riding coasters.

So I don't have any cat pictures - or any pet pictures for that matter - because anything with fur makes me sneeze. So to add to the fun and merriment, I would like to present to the world my beautiful great niece, Princess Avery.

Princess Avery.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter