Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

Well the heat must have gotten to @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina because she thinks we've been quiet :confused3 I did bring in the male dancer...did I not?
Yeah, but did you remember the male dancer? :duck:

Personally enjoyed it. Nice to know someone else can dance like me; although DD might question my quality...

I have been barred from dancing at her wedding - if she ever meets a guy and gets married.

Last edited:

Just so that Gina sees we are doing something productive with our time I'm looking for some input. I'm planning on closing my business for the week between Christmas and New Year in order to take a worry free vacation. If it goes well this year it will become an annual thing. I've decided that the higher cost of travel that week is worth the peace of mind. So here's what I need from all of you. I am looking for suggestions on where to look for accommodation that is not outrageously expensive. This of course pertains to going to Orlando for that week. I am also considering going to Cuba or Mexico. Should also add that I'm a bit of a hotel snob at times. I love timeshare rental but it would have to be someplace like WBC or a Marriott. I'm hoping to have a little more than just the week....with Christmas being on a Monday I might be able to get a flight on the evening of the 23rd and stay away until the 1st. So what great ideas do you all have?

Just so that Gina sees we are doing something productive with our time I'm looking for some input. I'm planning on closing my business for the week between Christmas and New Year in order to take a worry free vacation. If it goes well this year it will become an annual thing. I've decided that the higher cost of travel that week is worth the peace of mind. So here's what I need from all of you. I am looking for suggestions on where to look for accommodation that is not outrageously expensive. This of course pertains to going to Orlando for that week. I am also considering going to Cuba or Mexico. Should also add that I'm a bit of a hotel snob at times. I love timeshare rental but it would have to be someplace like WBC or a Marriott. I'm hoping to have a little more than just the week....with Christmas being on a Monday I might be able to get a flight on the evening of the 23rd and stay away until the 1st. So what great ideas do you all have?

We have rented several houses in the Kissimmee area over the past few years and LOVE it. I have found the prices to be very reasonable, and we love having our own pool (and sometimes a hot tub, too). I always check out VRBO and Homeaway. We have stayed in Windsor Hills, Lindfield, Lindfield Reserve, and we are staying at a house in Rolling Oaks in June. My DH is forever spoiled and never wants to stay in a hotel again! ;)

We have rented several houses in the Kissimmee area over the past few years and LOVE it. I have found the prices to be very reasonable, and we love having our own pool (and sometimes a hot tub, too). I always check out VRBO and Homeaway. We have stayed in Windsor Hills, Lindfield, Lindfield Reserve, and we are staying at a house in Rolling Oaks in June. My DH is forever spoiled and never wants to stay in a hotel again! ;)
I'm not at all opposed to the idea of renting a house but I would feel better about it with a reference to specific places. I'm wondering though if we would feel a little ripped off. We really enjoy beautiful resort properties and we don't do parks/outtings every day. We enjoy a good number of down days to lay around the pool. Pool days are iffy in December though. Might have to formulate an alternate vacation style to accommodate possible cooler weather.

I'm not at all opposed to the idea of renting a house but I would feel better about it with a reference to specific places. I'm wondering though if we would feel a little ripped off. We really enjoy beautiful resort properties and we don't do parks/outtings every day. We enjoy a good number of down days to lay around the pool. Pool days are iffy in December though. Might have to formulate an alternate vacation style to accommodate possible cooler weather.

If you enjoy a lot of resort activities, you might not enjoy a house, but we enjoy the privacy of our own pool. On our summer trip this year, we are only doing 2 theme park days, with the rest having fun in the area, enjoying the house, water parks, etc. Good luck!! :)

Based on the crowds at the parks and the resort rates to travel to Orlando at that time I would (personally) look at those options in Cuba or Mexico. We were at Universal and Disney between Christmas and just past New Year's this past year and I will likely never do it again. By the time you pay the holiday rates in Orlando you might be able to get a pretty spiffy place in the Caribbean.

That being said, if you are intent on Orlando I would try some discount sites. I have good luck with lmtclub.com - there is allegedly a fee to join but there are free promo codes on the web, which I used to join a few years ago and have never paid anything for membership. I like that site because sometimes the resort fees are included in the price.

Speaking of resort fees, the swan and dolphin have been popping up in Priceline blind express deals lately and if you are willing to narrow the area and cross check the fine print you can discern which resort is the blind deal sometimes by taking a look at the resort fee.

We are considering a stay at an Excellence all inclusive over (American) thanksgiving this year based on TripAdvisor reviews but we don't travel with kids (I think Excellence are all adult). My point is simply that I was shocked by the low rates available even over holiday travel - the room rates per night for a couple all inclusive was about the same price as my food/drink budget for the two of us per day at Disney. Granted, we spend a pretty penny on dining on vacation so what seems like a great deal to me might be astronomical for other families.

Good luck deciding! What a fun dilemma. I don't know your field but I think people are generally pretty accepting of closures at the holidays so it sounds like a great plan to me!

We are considering a stay at an Excellence all inclusive over (American) thanksgiving this year based on TripAdvisor reviews but we don't travel with kids (I think Excellence are all adult). My point is simply that I was shocked by the low rates available even over holiday travel - the room rates per night for a couple all inclusive was about the same price as my food/drink budget for the two of us per day at Disney. Granted, we spend a pretty penny on dining on vacation so what seems like a great deal to me might be astronomical for other families.
Ooh! I've stayed at an Excellence - the one in Playa Mujeres, Cancun. There's none of the Cancun-y craziness feeling while at the resort. I went with a guy who is now thankfully an ex BUT the resort was super nice. It's jaded for me though :crazy2:

I also second the idea of skipping Orlando and getting away to Cuba or the Carribbean. We love Christmas cruises and went on one with the entire family this past Christmas (left on Boxing Day). If you aren't a cruiser, I would look into Cuba or the Dominican. You'll be guaranteed nicer weather in the Carribbean at least, and while the resorts will be busy it won't be the madhouse that Orlando will be. Gina's trip report from one Christmas showed the absolute grid lock that occurred every time she went to drive anywhere. That would be too much for me. Unless you totally planned to stay put at the resort, I think you'd have more fun somewhere like the Mayan Riviera and it's beautiful beaches, in a resort that will be chalked full of activities for their busy season.

So glad you’ve started another trip report! I just came back from 2 weeks in Florida (Orlando & Indian Shores) and I need something to help me through the vacation withdrawal!

I totally agree about meeting characters at Universal – it’s so easy and fun! I love the Disney characters but there’s something less than magical about standing in long lines for character meets. I met tons of characters in our day at Universal and none of them had lines, you’d just literally walk up to them on the street for a quick meet and some photos. So much fun! I’m jealous that you got to meet Patrick – he’s my favorite Spongebob character.

I love thrill rides but there’s something special about ET – such a classic. Also, your hair looks great in these pics (which is extra hard to do with Florida heat and humidity - I literally had an afro for my entire vacation!) :rotfl2:

Love all these pics of the park dressed up for the holidays. They really do go all out with the Christmas décor, very nice!

I'm SOOOO loving the input on my Christmas vacay. Some great food for thought.

If you enjoy a lot of resort activities, you might not enjoy a house, but we enjoy the privacy of our own pool. On our summer trip this year, we are only doing 2 theme park days, with the rest having fun in the area, enjoying the house, water parks, etc. Good luck!! :)
It's not the resort activities that we enjoy (ok maybe 'I' enjoy) it's the resort vibe. I love having condo style accommodation that allows space and the option to cook in if we choose. I also love the hotel feel that comes with the beautiful grounds, pools, a restaurant or two and some bars onsite.

Based on the crowds at the parks and the resort rates to travel to Orlando at that time I would (personally) look at those options in Cuba or Mexico. We were at Universal and Disney between Christmas and just past New Year's this past year and I will likely never do it again. By the time you pay the holiday rates in Orlando you might be able to get a pretty spiffy place in the Caribbean.

That being said, if you are intent on Orlando I would try some discount sites. I have good luck with lmtclub.com - there is allegedly a fee to join but there are free promo codes on the web, which I used to join a few years ago and have never paid anything for membership. I like that site because sometimes the resort fees are included in the price.

Speaking of resort fees, the swan and dolphin have been popping up in Priceline blind express deals lately and if you are willing to narrow the area and cross check the fine print you can discern which resort is the blind deal sometimes by taking a look at the resort fee.

Good luck deciding! What a fun dilemma. I don't know your field but I think people are generally pretty accepting of closures at the holidays so it sounds like a great plan to me!
Right now I feel like Orlando gives me flexibility. I honestly could go either way but while I'm trying to figure it all out the thought of flexibility is winning. The problem with looking at AI's right now is that a) the prices are ridiculous and b)the flight times are not scheduled yet. Also, a lot of the tour operators haven't yet picked up all the resorts that they plan to sell. I have a friend who is a manager with one of the BIG ones and she has filled me in on what I am seeing at this point. My youngest DD is now 18 so we can include the adults only resorts in the search. Cost wise it's a big number to swallow for me....approx. $7000 for the three of us if we booked right now. I guess I will have a much better idea once SW releases the Dec/Jan dates in a couple of weeks.

I have been a member of LMT for years and they are good. Sometimes you can get the better resorts for very little.

The short explanation about what I do is that I'm a government contractor. Every year for the last 12 I come to work that week after Christmas and repeatedly hear 'oh, you're here, thought you would be gone for the week'. The admin staff are off that week so they won't even notice that my staff and I are not there. The work though, does sit and wait which could generate some complaints. I feel like planning it now and floating it past the admin director should be fine but you never know.

I also second the idea of skipping Orlando and getting away to Cuba or the Carribbean. We love Christmas cruises and went on one with the entire family this past Christmas (left on Boxing Day). If you aren't a cruiser, I would look into Cuba or the Dominican. You'll be guaranteed nicer weather in the Carribbean at least, and while the resorts will be busy it won't be the madhouse that Orlando will be. Gina's trip report from one Christmas showed the absolute grid lock that occurred every time she went to drive anywhere. That would be too much for me. Unless you totally planned to stay put at the resort, I think you'd have more fun somewhere like the Mayan Riviera and it's beautiful beaches, in a resort that will be chalked full of activities for their busy season.
Never been on a cruise and DH and I are both open to trying. GC however, will pitch a fit. She has some weird idea about being on a 'boat' in the ocean. I keep telling her they are not 'boats' they are the size of a small country. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED Cuba last year and that seems to be the first place I think of. Been a couple of times to the DR and enjoyed that too. The warmer weather is definitely appealing. This is going to be our winter holiday so I do want it to be nice. It might become my only annual holiday going forward.

Hi all,

We are currently at the Fort Lauderdale airport, sitting at our gate and waiting for our flight which is, unfortunately, delayed. It's going to be a late night tonight......super glad we booked a driver from Motor City Limosine to pick us up from DTW and whisk us home. We are going to be tired when that plane finally touches down.

I have been reading all your posts and have a ton to catch up on!! I am quite proud of y'all, too.....you've been far better behaved than I expected you to be!! LOL. I hope I can say the same about my kittens when I walk through the door :rolleyes1.

We had a simply awesome week: superb weather, low crowds, great dining, and a ton of fun. While I hate to see it end, I am missing my babies something fierce.....so its back to the cold and soggy north for us. I hope to get back to my trip report on Tuesday or Wednesday once I'm caught back up at home. Tomorrow will be a whipper of a grocery day and Monday I'll be cleaning up a week's worth of cat fur :cat:.

So......stay tuned! In the meantime, we all need to wish Ruthie a very :bday: today! She's 29 years young again!

Talk soon :).

Somehow, I keep losing this TR...I don't like that the mods hid it away in someplace weird..... good luck with all that soggy/groggy/yucky weather up north! You missed the nice cold front that moved I and kept today and tomorrow perrrfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter