June 2017 Disneyland Check In!!!

This being said... what's everyone's go to method for packing? Last time I did ziploc bags for each days outfit, but it took up quite a bit of room. I bought travel roll up bags (takes air out) for this trip hoping to cut down on space.

I do rolling Space Bags (that is, rolling the air out, not rolling with wheels). Doing it this way, I can get 4 days of clothes in a regular backpack, or 8 days of clothes for DD (when she was 7) and I in a regular carry on suitcase.

Just a quick thought/warning to be careful :) Somehow I never put 2 + 2 together to realize 8 days of clothes for 2 people in 1 carry on isn't going to weigh the same as 1 person's stuff in a carry on.... And 4 days of clothes in a backpack allows you to get a bunch of other things in that backpack. Think about the weight when you use them!

There's a folding system that we use with the space bags. I'm not going to be able to explain it right, but essentially, you lay everything down in a specific order (say, pants horizontal, shirts vertical) and fold them over on each other like a fabric package. Then, once you get the whole package folded up, you just slip it in the space bag, zip the bag up, and roll it (or sit on it), whatever works to get it compressed as much as possible.

I don't really have a method. We do use packing cubes though. I was always afraid to try the bags where you roll air out of because if TSA goes through your stuff, won't they let air in and have trouble getting everything closed back up?
So, we've used the rolling-up Space Bags for 5 years now, I think, so maybe 15 flights out of PDX, PHX, LGB, LAX, and SNA, with and without kids, with and without hubby. Not once has TSA ever asked to look in one. Granted, I almost exclusively do carry-on, so they wouldn't be getting into my bag without me right there. But, still have never had an issue with it :)

I do rolling Space Bags (that is, rolling the air out, not rolling with wheels). Doing it this way, I can get 4 days of clothes in a regular backpack, or 8 days of clothes for DD (when she was 7) and I in a regular carry on suitcase.

Just a quick thought/warning to be careful :) Somehow I never put 2 + 2 together to realize 8 days of clothes for 2 people in 1 carry on isn't going to weigh the same as 1 person's stuff in a carry on.... And 4 days of clothes in a backpack allows you to get a bunch of other things in that backpack. Think about the weight when you use them!

There's a folding system that we use with the space bags. I'm not going to be able to explain it right, but essentially, you lay everything down in a specific order (say, pants horizontal, shirts vertical) and fold them over on each other like a fabric package. Then, once you get the whole package folded up, you just slip it in the space bag, zip the bag up, and roll it (or sit on it), whatever works to get it compressed as much as possible.

Thank you! We're driving so weight won't be so much of an issue. I will try your method :)

I keep trying to convince my husband we need to bring at least one big checked piece of luggage. It needs to be big so we can bring back more stuff :) That said, we usually travel pretty "small". We bring a lot of stuff, but it is packed tight. We never do laundry on vacation, but we'll usually bring clothes that are on their last run, and throw them away there. We spent two weeks in Germany on our honeymoon with just two carry-on-sized pieces of luggage, and we managed to bring back a stuffed animal and a board game!

We leave for California in 18 days. I keep looking at the calendar and wondering if I can start packing yet.

I like to plan outfits and try them on before packing.
This way I make sure I like the outfit and don't just pack random items that may or may not look good together.
I bring one extra outfit just in case I end up with a milkshake all over me... even though ya know that has never happened before or anything all over my white tank top!....

I like to plan outfits and try them on before packing.
This way I make sure I like the outfit and don't just pack random items that may or may not look good together.
I bring one extra outfit just in case I end up with a milkshake all over me... even though ya know that has never happened before or anything all over my white tank top!....
I may or may not have had that happen with white pants..

We leave for California in 18 days. I keep looking at the calendar and wondering if I can start packing yet.
Someone on here once told me I should go to counseling for my obsession about packing-and repacking-multiple times before a trip. Anxiety? Excitement? Either way, you're doing good if you haven't started yet, as I've been packing for like 3 weeks :) We're leaving in 12 days!

We leave Saturday. I have many outfits planned, but nothing packed. Unfortunately, this is going to be a super-busy work week, extending into evenings. So it may come down to the wee hours of Friday night. Discovered yesterday that DD's "comfy" Disney shoes are too small for her now. So I have to figure out how to get her new ones.

It looks like it will be in the low 80's for my trip with DD11 next week. I'll definitely take that over the mid-to high-90's being forecast for Sacramento. Should make for some pleasant afternoon swims.

How many days out are you going to start packing?

Well I pretty much already have my toiletries packed since I went to WDW in April.
As for clothes and shoes I'll do a practice run and then pack for real 3 days prior.
The day before I leave is my niece's graduation from high school and my sister's 10th anniversary party so I definitely have to be all ready to go by the day before that at least.

I have been setting odds and ends aside for a week or two now. But I won't do any actual packing until a couple days before. And I don't finish packing until right before we leave since there are a few items I can't put in until the end.

We leave super early Saturday morning and I work 12 hour shift Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night and have about 5 hours worth of appointments on Friday so I'm packing everything but toiletries tonight. I'm doing laundry now and when it's finished I'll start packing. I know basically what I want to bring but I'll put it all out and then narrow it down before it goes into the suitcase. Usually I put it all out a couple days before I actually pack it so I can add and delete over time but this weekend was hectic so I didn't get any sorting done.

We pack like old people, since it's just the two of us in the house. :) We did a practice packing run through a few weeks ago, mainly because getting my wife to buy clothes is like pulling teeth. We made notes of stuff we needed to get, so we're not waiting until last minute to buy a bunch of stuff. New shoes have been purchased and worn to break them in. I've had my bags on the bed in my office for a few weeks. I mostly grab stuff I don't want to forget and put them in the bags when I think of it. We're 19 days out from our arrival, 15 days before we leave and I packed my first clothes yesterday. It's not that I really need to, I'm just bad about wearing what's in the top of the drawer so I figured I'd pack some stuff that I know I want for the trip. We won't do final packing until the day before. Then we'll print out the lists and work through them. I've had the lists for months. I use a combination of a document on the computer and Google Keep to put things on the list when I think about it.

I got notification from UPS that we have a package coming from Walt Disney Travel Company today. That should be our tickets and such, I'd guess, since we booked through the Disney site. Woohoo!

Special delivery!!!
disneyland%20package-L.jpg

for me the clothes I take to California are different to what I wear day to day,its not warm enough where I live to wear the them here. So about a week out I take them out of the storage from last year. Usually I add a couple of new items and then I sort them into a travel to USA outfit, a travel back to Europe outfit, an outfit per day and a spare outfit. I always pack my day 1 outfit n my carry on luggage, just in case my main checked luggage decides to have an adventure :)

I gather bits and pieces for about 3 weeks before so that I have everything ready for my main packing day which is usually the day before I fly.

For the actual main checked luggage I layer and and use all available space. As I am flying international I can only have max 50Lb checked luggage, so I have to be careful with what I bring. My friends find it funny that my case arriving in California is usually waaay under 50Lb but leaving I am almost exact 50Lb :)

Disneyland tickets bought today! Though we won't be in DL until 6/19, we take off for California a week from tomorrow. Started doing a little preliminary packing for the kids last night and am trying to put together my list of things to do/get before we leave. To add to the stress and craziness we are having a garage sale this weekend. Bad planning! lol

So, a couple questions for those of you who've been to DLR. Looking at our tickets, they're plastic like a gift card. Is there any activation required or do we just show up and walk in? I'm also curious if they do anything to tie each card to each person. The reason I ask about that is we got 4 cards and 2 of them match. So do we have to worry about mixing up the two that are the same when we're getting fast passes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter