Jungle Cruise Update Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. If the ride is racist, who is the victim that we must protect? Or can a ride be considered racist it there is no group being attacked?

My final thought is don't be too attached to any Disney ride or show. Because none are safe. Peter Pan, you may be next.
“But it's not a museum piece either. We want to keep adding to it and improving it like everything else."
-Marty Sklar

I don’t think they should totally ditch Peter Pan as a ride, but should make the native Americans much less of an awful caricature. That’s a pretty easy fix that should happen
Honestly, would the ride miss anything with taking the Native Americans out? I don't think anyone would really notice the change if they hadn't been on the ride before.

I'm here for this! Honestly I thought it was going to be some big movie tie in so I'm glad that they are changing the natives aspect. is there a way to keep trader Sam while making him less of an offensive caricature? Maybe he can be an ex skipper who was stranded on the island and kind of became one with the island? Sort of like a Robin Willams in Jumanji or Tom Hanks in Cast Away? Idk.

To add to the larger discussion I think change is good. If we can change the messed up parts while trying to keep the integrity of the ride as much as possible I don't see any issue. Society changes and we shouldn't keep everything the same once we realize how effed up something is. Didn't Walt himself say Disney isn't a museum?
I think they could just make Trader Sam someone who trades in normal goods, not shrunken heads.

That would not be good for my bank account.

No kidding, right? I have to get one every time I go. I don't even drink, so I have to have someone drink my alcohol. They won't sell them without the pour, even at full price. I still had to have that Nautilus though!

No kidding, right? I have to get one every time I go. I don't even drink, so I have to have someone drink my alcohol. They won't sell them without the pour, even at full price. I still had to have that Nautilus though!

I have all three versions of the Nautilus. 😬 Trader Sam has also gotten me into buying other tiki mugs now, not even just from the bar (have you seen the Mondo Cave of Wonders ones? They're amazing!).

I have all three versions of the Nautilus. 😬 Trader Sam has also gotten me into buying other tiki mugs now, not even just from the bar (have you seen the Mondo Cave of Wonders ones? They're amazing!).

I have a few from Trader Sam's and I am trying to limit it to just those - but I see some that catch my eye sometimes. They can be habit forming for sure!

I love my Nautilus. The night I got it was also super great. I was heading over form MK at closing, and it was taking forever. Trader Sams was new and I had never been. Anyway, I ended up ont he terrace, which was fine, but my park buddy had to leave to get back to Wilderness Lodge befrore the boats stopped. Anyway, the server told me that they had to pour the drink to sell the mugh - not sure why as I was willing to pay full price anyway. I didn't want it to go to waste though so I ased the waiter to ask a nearby table of young folks if they wanted it. They said yes of course and waved me over. I ended up hanging out with these off-duty CMs for a while and we had a great time. I may have even gotten a few anytime fast passes out of it. 😉 Plus I got my Nautilus! I am a sucker for anything Nautilus!

Honestly, would the ride miss anything with taking the Native Americans out? I don't think anyone would really notice the change if they hadn't been on the ride before.
i feel Tiger Lily is an important part of the story. She is not depicted as a caricature in the ride. The other Native Americans could be changed just enough to make them look less like jokes without the ride losing its original charm.

I think they could just make Trader Sam someone who trades in normal goods, not shrunken heads.
I don’t think it’s the shrunken heads that are the problem. I think it’s his look—the puffy eyes, the “salvaged” outfit and umbrella—it’s a pretty well-worn Native American stereotype/caricature. Although in this case, I think he’s just recycling things his “customers” have left behind, but unfortunately it has the same look as existing caricatures. If they get rid of the heads, they lose possibly my favorite pun of the whole area—the RC boats. Shrunken Ned’s....

I don’t think it’s the shrunken heads that are the problem. I think it’s his look—the puffy eyes, the “salvaged” outfit and umbrella—it’s a pretty well-worn Native American stereotype/caricature. Although in this case, I think he’s just recycling things his “customers” have left behind, but unfortunately it has the same look as existing caricatures. If they get rid of the heads, they lose possibly my favorite pun of the whole area—the RC boats. Shrunken Ned’s....

Yeah, I posted way upthread about how the Disneyland version looks different and is much less of a charicature. I think if they tweak his look, the heads aren't necessarily a problem. As I've siad, it's all about context.

Yeah, I posted way upthread about how the Disneyland version looks different and is much less of a charicature. I think if they tweak his look, the heads aren't necessarily a problem. As I've siad, it's all about context.
Yes, I saw that pic! In my one quick day trip to DL, I didn’t get to ride it so I had never seen that. Really hoping they go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter