Jungle Cruise Update Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also in the boat of those that believe that it just needs updating. I've watch the Tokyo Disneyland Jungle Cruise ride through videos quite often and I love what it provides. If you are looking for a more culturally appropriate version I'm guessing they will not be taking any cues from what Japan does honestly, I just enjoy it.

I don't understand why anyone WOULDN'T want Jungle Cruise updated. In fact, it HAS been updated! They've added scenes, changed characters on the pole, I would HOPE the skippers have added new jokes - the whole ride could use a constant refresh! So what if they are removing natives and putting in skippers? I can't wait to see that, or hear the new jokes. This adds a whole new dynamic to the ride. PLEASE do this refresh!

As for CoP; the last scene needs a refresh, but honestly I think that will have a ripple effect. Everything in the final scene is now old technology, not the peek into the future it was meant to be. The problem is, once you update that to be 2050 or whatever date you pick, it gets to be a pretty large jump from the scene before.

As for Speedway; Disneyland Autopia did get a refresh...about 20 years ago, and it's about time for another. Still, it is MUCH better! I would love to see the cars go all electric, but please, I know there are hurdles with that and this is not the place for that discussion. How about adding trees or different terrain though - make it a little more interesting. They did that with Autopia and it made a huge difference. Still, both of these rides take up a huge footprint, and it seems like every time a refresh is mentioned, the option to just remove them seems to take center stage. That's too bad. For a small kid to be able to drive his own car - that's pretty magical. I'd hate to see that go.

Now that I can agree on. Very dated. I'm all for that kind of stuff but as for Disney constantly making an announcement to get a pat on the back for addressing anything "offensive", yeah, that irks me. Just DO it and don't make a big deal about it. They're making it a thing.
Ummm...I don't think they are? The media is adding the headline about the content being offensive, not Disney. Disney has only talked about adding the skippers to the scenes.

I thought one of the things said in the video was more storytelling, less "simple jokes". I do not remember the exact phrasing.,

I got the impression they were going to try to have an actual story to the ride...maybe something like another boar went missing and we're going after it to look for it.

Did you cringe while riding The Great Movie Ride during the gangster scene? The fact remains that every one of our races has had their hand in some less that stellar behavior throughout the years. The problem I see is that there is never an issue when the villain is portrayed by a character with light skin. No one clamored for that to be taken out. No one cares that old white women are portrayed as abusers and witches constantly....it's all just so stupid. And one sided. People are all of the sudden trying desperately to find something to be offended by. There soon won't be any trace of reality to anything. When was the last time you saw a cannibalistic tribe from the Amazon that was diverse? lol ridiculous.

I don't so much think it's an issue to have the villains be people of color at all, it's hwne ALL the heroes are white and ALL the villains aren't, or the preponderence of certian stereotypes, etc. Trying to strike a balance is what most people want - that just means we have to put our finger ont he scale a little at first becuase it has been so unbalanced the other way for so long.

Still, both of these rides take up a huge footprint, and it seems like every time a refresh is mentioned, the option to just remove them seems to take center stage. That's too bad. For a small kid to be able to drive his own car - that's pretty magical. I'd hate to see that go.

My problem here (and not to get too sidetracked) is that there is nothing really in Speedway that is uniquely Disney. Yeah, it's magical for a kid to drive a car... but they can do the same thing at six flags down the street, or Kings Dominion, or heck, at any number of my local amusement parks. They can't get CoP, PotC, RMT, HM, or just about any other ride (arguably, teacups and the Carousel add minimal Disney value too... but at least they add some). So if all it's about it driving a car, then yeah - take it out and give me something else.

My point being it needs more than a few trees to make it worth taking up that much space. It needs something uniquely Disney about it. And I am not saying it has to be Disney IP. I don't need Mickey shaped cars. But make it uniquely Disney. Add some tech that those other guys don't have. It would be cool if they were driving through a cartoon. Or, I dunno... I am not an imaginer. But make it something that I don't get down the street at my local themepark. Because if that's all it is, then you might as well remove it. I don't want to pay thousands of dollars and fly thousands of miles to bring my kid to something they can see right in my back yard.

I got the impression they were going to try to have an actual story to the ride...maybe something like another boar went missing and we're going after it to look for it.
I am worried this will end up being a "little red" situation for those who remember the original Kilimanjaro Jeeps ride story line. I'd stick with the simple jokes for the most part.

I am worried this will end up being a "little red" situation for those who remember the original Kilimanjaro Jeeps ride story line. I'd stick with the simple jokes for the most part.

I think there is a different story element being added - of another boat that was sunk and chimps took it over. But there will still be plenty of jokes - just like before relating the jokes to the expedition that ran into trouble ("Dr. Hontas is up a poll and looks like there is about to be a Poke-a-Hontas") - just different

If the video is to be believed there are a lot of Skippers involved directly or consulted so I would think they would be pushing for as many jokes to be in there as they can - makes it more fun for them

I think when you have a large public project you’re always going to be nervous about public perception. Especially something beloved and famous like the Jungle Cruise. I know I would be nervous about the reaction.

I think all the beloved Disney supporters forget that the place isnt supposed to become a museum, as per the creator... yet in many ways it has. I respect that aside from ET and the makeup show, Universal has cycled through everything at least once.

I think all the beloved Disney supporters forget that the place isnt supposed to become a museum, as per the creator... yet in many ways it has. I respect that aside from ET and the makeup show, Universal has cycled through everything at least once.

I think the challenge is to find the right balance - to understand and appreciate the history of a given attraction/land/etc - but not be beholden to that history

I wouldn't want zdisney to plow over the Haunted Mansiona nd the jUngle Cruise and Spaceship earth just to put up some flashy "flavor of the month" replacement ... but Disney also shouldn't be scared to make updates where they make sense and improve the overall experience. At the end of the day they need to maximize profits over the long term - so need to attract new customers by still appealing to those feelings of nostalgia from returning ones

Can they install better microphones and speakers on all the boats? Sometimes you can barely hear the skipper.

I think this has to do witth the skippers sometimes who hold the microphone too close to their mouths or too far away. Still, sometimes the sound ain't great.

Can they install better microphones and speakers on all the boats? Sometimes you can barely hear the skipper.
I think this has to do witth the skippers sometimes who hold the microphone too close to their mouths or too far away. Still, sometimes the sound ain't great.

I would hope things like that are included in this "refresh" as well - I would think there is newer technology they could use that is more reliable but might still give that "old time feel"

Man I’m getting excited about JC again! We ate at Skipper Canteen on our last trip to get some of that vibe without the ride.

... How about adding trees or different terrain though - make it a little more interesting. They did that with Autopia and it made a huge difference. Still, both of these rides take up a huge footprint, and it seems like every time a refresh is mentioned, the option to just remove them seems to take center stage. That's too bad. For a small kid to be able to drive his own car - that's pretty magical. I'd hate to see that go.

Totally agree! ::yes::::yes::::yes::

amen amen amen! I'm sure your friend was not in the minority with his way of thinking back before social media helped to keep issues constantly in our faces. Up until now, most people had their own opinions about most things. These days, we're told how we're supposed to feel or else be bullied or ostracized for not conforming. You're not allowed to vocalize an unpopular opinion in this day and age.
You could argue that you just didn't hear from the people who thought differently because they assumed everyone else believed along with the majority. With the advent of the internet and social media, they realized that they're not as much of a minority as they thought and now they're making their opinions heard. These changes to POTC, Splash and now JC are a good thing. People shouldn't have to come to a theme park and feel uncomfortable. It should be able to be enjoyed by all. The changes to Jungle Cruise aren't that substantial anyways.

Man, don't get me started! I would LOVE to see the original Kongfrontation again at UO. Best experience ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter