Just a (work) vent...

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Not having great week...

1) There was a training project I was supposed to work on this week that I forgot about until going to bed last night. This morning, I can't find any notes referencing this week, maybe my memory is slipping, ask others for information and finally my boss says "yup, that's this week" (around noon).
2) So I start on the project. It's something I haven't even been shown the process, there's just instructions. I ask for help, and one of the "senior" people says "this is supposed to be done without assistance, I'm tied up, use the instructions". So the instructions are about 98% accurate, I'm stumbling through about 25% of the way complete, having issues with a step, try something I really shouldn't have, and realize I messed up, and that may have affected 30+clients. I notify my boss and am waiting to hear back on how bad I messed things up.

I'm just sick to my stomach right now.

I’m sorry about that. How stressful. This is at a new job, right? Wouldn’t be so bad if you were a veteran at your place of employment I imagine.

I’m sorry about that. How stressful. This is at a new job, right? Wouldn’t be so bad if you were a veteran at your place of employment I imagine.
Yea, started the beginning of November. Talked to my boss and he verbally told me it affected clients, but minorly. The "senior" tech messaged me and said clients are "down" because of what I did.

Ouch. Sorry this is happening. Hoping you can try to make it right and, of course, learn from it. I am really hard on myself about things like this, but it’s true that everyone makes mistakes—part of the human condition.

Oh I'm so sorry you are dealing with that.

Last year I was made a system administrator to assist a contractor at work on a project. All was fine and good, I had some basic training on the basics and was able to pick up higher level stuff. However, the organization let his contract run out, it took forever to renew it and thought I knew enough to handle all the new changes they wanted.

I blurted out to my boss in a fit of panic that I was going to destroy the system unless they brought the contractor back ASAP, because I knew how to do that, not enough to do the other stuff. Fortunately, my boss had my back and supported me.

It was a “training” project that could affect clients? What kind of company sets up employees for failure & customers for problems by making employees perform tasks that could affect them without full competency? You had questions & were rebuffed by someone who should have known the consequences to clients if you didn’t do something right. Sounds like that person should have some responsibility. As does your employer/ manager for not making sure you had the training & a preceptor/ mentor available for any questions. Sorry, sounds to me like your manager failed, not you.

The clueless boss who made no effort to assist a new employee and basically told you to figure it out on your own deserves some of the blame. Unfortunately, in some companies bosses are more focused on how to get their next promotion instead of getting involved with the actual day to day work.

With the amount of posts I see from you on here daily, maybe stay off the boards during the weekday?
What an unkind and unhelpful post from someone who usually just posts emojis in response to other people. I hope this made you feel good because that would be the only reason to say something like this to someone who is obviously having a stressful life moment. That takes a special kind of person.

The clueless boss who made no effort to assist a new employee and basically told you to figure it out on your own deserves some of the blame. Unfortunately, in some companies bosses are more focused on how to get their next promotion instead of getting involved with the actual day to day work.
Just to clarify... it wasn't my boss who told me to follow instructions (ie: figure it out), he just confirmed I was supposed to be working on it this week.

If I would have started on Monday like I was supposed to, I probably would have been able to get more help. Starting today had the "senior" techs busy on other projects.

It was a “training” project that could affect clients? What kind of company sets up employees for failure & customers for problems by making employees perform tasks that could affect them without full competency? You had questions & were rebuffed by someone who should have known the consequences to clients if you didn’t do something right. Sounds like that person should have some responsibility. As does your employer/ manager for not making sure you had the training & a preceptor/ mentor available for any questions. Sorry, sounds to me like your manager failed, not you.
I'll admit a small part of me feels that way, but I also feel it's an excuse, and I hate making excuses. If I would have started on Monday like I was supposed to... If I would have done the extra check that I know to do, just forgot for a moment... I screwed up. All I can do is own it and try not to get defensive if/when I get called on the carpet more.

I'll admit a small part of me feels that way, but I also feel it's an excuse, and I hate making excuses. If I would have started on Monday like I was supposed to... If I would have done the extra check that I know to do, just forgot for a moment... I screwed up. All I can do is own it and try not to get defensive if/when I get called on the carpet more.

👍🏻 Good luck with the fallout. Hope your week gets better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter