Just arrived at SSR

I'm glad you're having such a great time. I've requested Grandstand for our SSR stay in June.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Sounds like you are having a fantastic time. :thumbsup2

It makes waiting for September almost unbearable. :laughing: Hope the rest of your trip is great.

I'm glad you're having such a great time. I've requested Grandstand for our SSR stay in June.

Bobbi:goodvibes

JENR convinced me!! I just called and changed my request from Congress Park to Grandstand!! I know we'll be happy with either one! :yay:

Can you tell me what time the slide closes at the main pool???? We will be there for 1 night later in the month and plan to just relax by the pool. My DD is a big fan of slides so I am hoping they don't close it too early - we will arrive around 6. Hopefully she can enjoy it for a couple of hours before the lifeguards go off duty.

I absolutely love the grandstand area. I love the rooms. Everything is so new and smells new. My DS (3) and DS (7) prefer the grandstand pool to the main pool. It has these horse squirting things that my kids love and it is never crowded. That may change but for now it is very nice and quiet. We have been to the main pool but it is very crowded. In Oct we will be staying in Congress Park because it is my DD 16th birthday and she really wants to overlook Downtown Disney and be a short walk there. Grandstands are the first bus stop which is really nice also. It is only a five min walk to the main pool and main building. It takes a little longer to get to Downtown Disney but we don't mind walking. I would stay in this section again in a heartbeat.

Hey JENR, it sounds like you are having a fabulous time! By the way, my DS will be 16 in October too. We just went a couple of weeks ago to get the driving permit!

Hope you continue to have as fabulous time as you have so far.
Can you tell me what time the slide closes at the main pool???? We will be there for 1 night later in the month and plan to just relax by the pool. My DD is a big fan of slides so I am hoping they don't close it too early - we will arrive around 6. Hopefully she can enjoy it for a couple of hours before the lifeguards go off duty.

From what I remember all the pool slides have closed at 8. You should be able to get in a little slide time before the lifeguards leave.

Info I have from a stay last May states that the pools are open until 10pm, but that the slides may close earlier than that. The slides are only open when lifeguards are on duty, and it doesn't appear that their hours are posted. I assume lifeguard schedules may even change on the fly based upon things like weather conditions.

Tell me more about the pool movie please. I had planned on trying to get to the Chip & Dale movie/sing-a-long, but this would be more convenient.

Do I need to call & request an area now or should I just wait until I get there?

I would also love to hear more about the movies by the pool! I had no idea they did that!

We own at SSR, too, but haven't stayed there in a while as we've been trying out the other DVC resorts.

Just curious if there is any smoke in the air from the wildfires. We're in north Florida and have had a heavy-dose of it the last several days. We're heading down to WDW on Friday and expect to have to take an alternate route. DH wanted me to find out if there is smoke in the air at WDW....

Thanks.

I just checked in to Grandstand yesterday (was at Marriott last week). Movies are tonight, tomorrow and Wed at 8pm in the Grandstand Pool. I think it's just first come first serve. I may be checking out out tonight. Movies are Toy Story, Hercules and George of the Jungle.

Smoke isn't noticeable in Orlando but the heat is. It's been a bit hazy in the morning then turns to hot & bright by mid-day. There's a cool breeze though and we get some clouds. Threats of rain today and tomorrow. Lot warmer than last week.

Oh and another thumbs up for Grandstand. Looks like every building has a golf course view (with corner units seeing the pool. I'm on the first floor so I just see resort buildings in the distance. Higher up I imagine you get a view of the entire resort.

And one word about the walkway to OKW, if you're thinking of taking during the hot mid-day sun... DON'T! Tried it yesterday and it's very looong. Practically wore down my battery going around yesterday. But the battery survived a day at MK and walk from Paddocks bus stop to my Grandstand room.

Thanks for all the postings on SSR! We are headed down in about 19 days! I hope that the fires have all been put out by then.
:thumbsup2

Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation to check in! We are staying at SSR for the first time in June and it's nice to hear your reports!! :goodvibes

Ohhhhhh... waiting patiently about the movie by the pool reviews... :cloud9: We're booked at OKW for Sept 29th to OCt 5th... but is now switching to SSR...:banana:

Sorry to report that the movie has been canceled for tonight because it is too windy. They said it is an inflatable screen so we are going to try again tommorow night. We had a nice day. We just hung out at the Grandstand pool and at the main pool. We rented bikes again today and spent alot of time at community hall. We also went back to Downtown Disney again for dinner. Tommorow we are headed to MK. Will report back on crowd levels.

Sorry to report that the movie has been canceled for tonight because it is too windy. They said it is an inflatable screen so we are going to try again tommorow night. We had a nice day. We just hung out at the Grandstand pool and at the main pool. We rented bikes again today and spent alot of time at community hall. We also went back to Downtown Disney again for dinner. Tommorow we are headed to MK. Will report back on crowd levels.

awwww sorry about the wind... but glad that you are having a restful vacation... and thanks for taking the time to DIS while on Vaca:cloud9: all weffort are greatly appreciated...:woohoo:

I was in the Grandstand section all last week.

Movies by the pool looked GREAT! Excellent picture and sound quality.

We didn't have any problems with smoke - once in a while you'd catch a whiff, but nothing major.

The Saratoga Tip Sheet says that pools are open 10 am to 10pm. Slide operating hours "vary from season to season, and inclement weather." Not much help!!

DVD rentals were great also -- moved from AP to Comm. Hall. Unbelievably, they DID NOT have any Pirates of the Carribbean movies....

The Turf Club was awesome too!

Had a awesome day at MK. It was not crowded at all. Got there at opening and did Monsters Inc, Transit authority, Indy Speedway, Space Mountain, Goofy's Barnstormer, went and saw characters in toon town, Philharmagic, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and were out of the park by 1:00. The longest wait was for Splash Mountain. It said 20 min but we waited only about 10. We then headed over to Beach Club to eat at Beaches and Cream. I love May and will defenitely come back this time of year. Now off to the pool and hopefully a movie by the pool tonight. I am starting to get sad because we go home tommorow. But that is what I love about DVC I know I will be back.

Had a great day at SSR today. We have a nice golf course view in the Grandstands. We spent alot of time at the Grandstand pool today. My kids loved it.
Wow! They were just building that pool 5 months ago! Do you think the Grandstand area is away from everything else?

We've stayed twice in Congress Park and loved the resort. Renting bikes is a great way to see all the various areas. The landscaping is really beautiful. Our March trip was with four teenagers so we really enjoyed the quick walk to DTD. Perhaps we'll try the Grandstand next. Service poolside sounds like a great idea. We have always found the Springs Pool too congested. Our kids always chose the Congress Park quiet pool to hang out at. Community hall and Lunch offerings at AP are big pluses as well.

Enjoy your vacation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter