Just arrived at SSR

MegansMom,

If you have some extra time to fill, take the boat from DTD to POFQ/POR. It's a very relaxing ride - the scenery's great (especially passing beautiful SSR - that's how I fell in love with SSR!!) :)

Spend a little time visiting those resorts, then head back to DTD!!

Thanks so much for the tip! I didn't know there was a boat to those resorts....I will definitely keep that in mind when planning ADR's on days we are NOT going to the parks. Thanks for the GREAT info!! I will think of you while we are riding on the boat!

MegansMom,

If you have some extra time to fill, take the boat from DTD to POFQ/POR. It's a very relaxing ride - the scenery's great (especially passing beautiful SSR - that's how I fell in love with SSR!!) :)

Spend a little time visiting those resorts, then head back to DTD!!

I agree, the boat ride to POFQ is very relaxing and gorgeous. SSR looks amazing from that vantage point especially Congress Park and The Grandstand.
We took the boat from DTD to POFQ and had dinner at their food court then boat back to DTD.

Ahhhhh the boat ride from POFQ! That was the first time I saw SSR and I too fell in love then. I knew it was one of the only sales available and as I looked at it from our boat, I knew I could spend many years of vacationing in such a serene location. As for the boat ride, ours was a little frustrating - loud motor, couldn't hear the CM on the speaker well, was overly crowded. We decided that was enough of the boats for us. I grew up spending summers crabbing on the bay on the Eastern Shore. A group boat ride wasn't my thing, but I did get the chance to show my husband SSR and let him know we needed to do the tour lol! :thumbsup2

Okay everyone.....you made me do it. I changed my request to Grandstand after hearing all the rave reviews. I will still be happy if I end up in one of the other sections, but I am keeping my fingers crossed to end up there. I especially like how it is first on the bus pick up--I would hate to be waiting for a bus, to have it have to pass me by because it was already full. I will be traveling with my DH, DD (who will be 4 by then) and my MIL and FIL. I think DD will enjoy the pool at Grandstand, but if not, we can always go to the main pool as well. She loves riding the boats--so we will definitely be taking them over to DTD instead of walking. Last year we stayed at BWV, and one of the biggest thrills to her was riding the boats to Epcot and MGM. I really can't wait!

This will be the first time we visit in November--coming to see the Christmas festivities. We are hoping for low crowds the week after Turkey Day, since that is what DD is used to. (Last year we visited in September and walked onto everything.) Hopefully if there are many crowds, the Christmas decor will distract her from having to stand in lines!

This will be the first trip for my MIL and FIL in 20+ years. The last time they were there, Epcot wasn't even finished yet!!! They really don't have a clue of what to expect because the place has changed so much. They have just been going along with whatever plans we are making, because they don't know what else to do. I am hoping they enjoy it.

Keep all the good info coming! Thanks to everyone!
We too will be at SSR - requesting Grandstand - the week after Thanksgiving with my in-laws who haven't been there since Epcot was built. DS 7 and DS 5 don't know yet - they will be so excited that Grandpa and Grandma will be there! Maybe we will run into you at the Grandstand pool!

I, too, recommend the boat ride to POFQ/RS - we stayed at RS last year and it is a beautiful resort! The counter service area there has been redone and it might be a great place to stop in for lunch or dinner!

See you then!

Couple more questions about SSR.......... about the Studios.....
Do the Studios have DVD players? (I was told no, but just hoping :goodvibes )
Are they equiped with dinnerware? cups, glasses, flatware?
What supplies if any does the kitchenette have?
How big is the freezer portion of the frig?

Couple more questions about SSR.......... about the Studios.....
Do the Studios have DVD players? (I was told no, but just hoping :goodvibes )
Are they equiped with dinnerware? cups, glasses, flatware?
What supplies if any does the kitchenette have?
How big is the freezer portion of the frig?

We were in a brand new studio in the Grandstand and yes we did have a DVD player.

They also had a few plastic bowls, plates and silverware but only about 4 of each thing. They did have coffee mugs and glasses. The fridge is small but we were able to put alot in it. The freezer section is very tiny. The kitchenette has a toaster, coffee maker, microwave and I think that is it.

Someone asked me about laundry facilities in the Grandstand. It is at the Grandstand pool. There are two washer and four dryers. I used them a few times. It was really nice because there was never anyone using them so you didn't have to wait for them. I would put the wash in while we were swimming at the pool.

The grandstand area was very close to the main pool and main building. It was only a few minutes to walk over.

We were in a brand new studio in the Grandstand and yes we did have a DVD player.

They also had a few plastic bowls, plates and silverware but only about 4 of each thing. They did have coffee mugs and glasses. The fridge is small but we were able to put alot in it. The freezer section is very tiny. The kitchenette has a toaster, coffee maker, microwave and I think that is it.
Thanks!
What about a can opener?

Every studio we have stayed in has had a can opener. One time we didn't have one at the BW and called housekeeping and they brought it to us right away.

We too will be at SSR - requesting Grandstand - the week after Thanksgiving with my in-laws who haven't been there since Epcot was built. DS 7 and DS 5 don't know yet - they will be so excited that Grandpa and Grandma will be there! Maybe we will run into you at the Grandstand pool!

I, too, recommend the boat ride to POFQ/RS - we stayed at RS last year and it is a beautiful resort! The counter service area there has been redone and it might be a great place to stop in for lunch or dinner!

See you then!

WOW DEJA VU!!! We will be getting there on Turkey Day and staying until 12/1--hopefully in the Grandstand area!!! We have a 3yo daughter who will be 4 by then. We will definitely look out for you all at the pool. I get to make ADRs tomorrow--I'm so excited and can't wait for the trip!!:santa:

Hi, y'all! We're home from 10 days at WDW - the first 3 nights were spent at SSR. Here are my thoughts: LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!! :love:

Requested Grandstand and that's what we got! GREAT location. If you have to stay right in the heart of things, The Springs would be the location to request, but The Grandstand was perfect for us. :cloud9: We had a pool view room and watched the movie by the pool from our balcony! (Alice in Wonderland) When the balcony door was shut, we couldn't hear any noise from the pool area (we were on the 4th floor). It was an easy walk to the Community Hall; and being the 1st bus stop was very nice! :)

The resort is beautiful. Although my teen found it "too spread out" - that is part of the beauty of it for DH and me!

Hi, y'all! We're home from 10 days at WDW - the first 3 nights were spent at SSR. Here are my thoughts: LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!! :love:

Requested Grandstand and that's what we got! GREAT location. If you have to stay right in the heart of things, The Springs would be the location to request, but The Grandstand was perfect for us. :cloud9: We had a pool view room and watched the movie by the pool from our balcony! (Alice in Wonderland) When the balcony door was shut, we couldn't hear any noise from the pool area (we were on the 4th floor). It was an easy walk to the Community Hall; and being the 1st bus stop was very nice! :)

The resort is beautiful. Although my teen found it "too spread out" - that is part of the beauty of it for DH and me!

I am so glad you loved the Grandstand and had a wonderful time on your vacation!!! I think it is the coolest thing that you got to watch the movie from your balcony!! HOW RELAXING! popcorn:: Do you know if there is a specific day of the week and time at night that they do the movies, or is it on a random basis? I was wondering because we are going to SSR in November (requested Grandstand--hope we get it pixiedust: ), and I think my DD would love to catch a movie at night--especially nights we are not going to MVMCP.

Also, did you feel like you had long commutes on the buses from the Grandstand to the parks? Thanks, MegansMom

I am so glad you loved the Grandstand and had a wonderful time on your vacation!!! I think it is the coolest thing that you got to watch the movie from your balcony!! HOW RELAXING! popcorn:: Do you know if there is a specific day of the week and time at night that they do the movies, or is it on a random basis? I was wondering because we are going to SSR in November (requested Grandstand--hope we get it pixiedust: ), and I think my DD would love to catch a movie at night--especially nights we are not going to MVMCP.

Also, did you feel like you had long commutes on the buses from the Grandstand to the parks? Thanks, MegansMom

Sorry, I really didn't pay any attention to the movie schedule. We just happened to look out at the pool one evening, see the screen and that's when we remembered the movies! It was either Mon or Tues evening. When I get unpacked, I'll look through some of the paperwork I have and see if there's anything that might be helpful. (must grocery shop and do laundry first! :headache:)

I don't remember any long commutes to the parks. We just had to be patient as they made the stops around SSR, but once we left the resort it seems we got to each of the parks in a relatively short time. :thumbsup2

Hey Laura!! :wave: I'm glad you had a nice trip! :)

Do you know if there is a specific day of the week and time at night that they do the movies, or is it on a random basis?

I'm slowly finding my way to the bottom of the pile!! Here's what I found. When you check in, you should receive "Horsing Around Weekly Activities" - our's ran Sun 5/27 thru Sat 6/2 and listed activity times, description, and location. Community Hall hosted lots of games and crafts. The High Rock Spring Pool had trivia, bingo, games. "Homecoming Pool Party" - games & music - Every Sunday at High Rock Spring Pool 2:30 pm.

There were 3 "Movies at the Grand Stand Pool" for our week (8:30 pm): Sun 5/27 Pocahontas; Mon 5/28 Disney's American Legends; Tues 5/29 Alice in Wonderland.

That still doesn't answer what kind of movie schedule they'll offer in November! :upsidedow But at least they organize a week's worth of activities on a single sheet, which might have been helpful if I'd remembered to look at it!! :lmao:

I'm slowly finding my way to the bottom of the pile!! Here's what I found. When you check in, you should receive "Horsing Around Weekly Activities" - our's ran Sun 5/27 thru Sat 6/2 and listed activity times, description, and location. Community Hall hosted lots of games and crafts. The High Rock Spring Pool had trivia, bingo, games. "Homecoming Pool Party" - games & music - Every Sunday at High Rock Spring Pool 2:30 pm.

There were 3 "Movies at the Grand Stand Pool" for our week (8:30 pm): Sun 5/27 Pocahontas; Mon 5/28 Disney's American Legends; Tues 5/29 Alice in Wonderland.

That still doesn't answer what kind of movie schedule they'll offer in November! :upsidedow But at least they organize a week's worth of activities on a single sheet, which might have been helpful if I'd remembered to look at it!! :lmao:

This is a very good reminder to me to FIND AND READ that schedule that they give us. Sometimes I just don't even notice it until I get home.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Thank you so much for giving me that info!! I do remember getting a newsletter like that last year at BWV, but I really don't remember paying any attention to it until I got home and got ready to scrapbook the trip. I will definitely look for it this year. I hate to wish the year away, but I can't wait for our trip!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter