Just back: Boma Dinner

denisem

DIS Veteran
Cast of characters: DH & I, both 50. 1st time for both. We'd dined at Jiko previously and LOVED it, but wanted to try something different.

Surprisingly, DH (who usually dislikes buffets) enjoyed this more than *I* did (the one who loves trying a "dab" of new things).

My highlights were the various salads, the chicken corn porridge, prime rib (try the different accompanying sauces) and pork. DH enjoyed the salmon, prime rib and the African hard cider ;). We disagreed on bobotie: he loved, I didn't.

In any event, there was a wealth of well-prepared foods to choose from, so I'd guess even pickier folks wouldn't go hungry.

FWIW, I coulda prolly gotten my money's worth from the desserts alone - outstanding! Zebra domes ARE "all that" and they had a coconut tiramisu that I'll request for my last meal if I'm ever on death row... ;)

Very excited about going to Boma for the first time next week! (Me, wife and three kids, 14, 10 and 6.) Kids are pretty adventurous when it comes to food, so I don't expect any problems.
So glad to hear about the food! I've heard over and over about the zebra domes, but never about the coconut tiramisu! (I loooooove coconut...and one of my wife's all-time favorite desserts is tiramisu....should be a good match!)
Just a few questions please....did they have cappucino? (You know...that nice traditional African dessert coffee!! LOL!)
Also...is any beer/wine included in price? And what is hard cider? Alcoholic??
Finally....probably the only minor knock I've ever heard about Boma is that the prime rib is usually pretty rare. Don't shoot me, meat-lovers, but I like all my beef medium-well. I can't imagine them refusing to cook a piece I pick out a little extra time...but did you notice any pieces out there already cooked well?
Thanks Denise....glad you enjoyed it!!!

Originally posted by cd&kids
Very excited about going to Boma for the first time next week! (Me, wife and three kids, 14, 10 and 6.) Kids are pretty adventurous when it comes to food, so I don't expect any problems.
So glad to hear about the food! I've heard over and over about the zebra domes, but never about the coconut tiramisu! (I loooooove coconut...and one of my wife's all-time favorite desserts is tiramisu....should be a good match!)
Just a few questions please....did they have cappucino? (You know...that nice traditional African dessert coffee!! LOL!)
Finally....probably the only minor knock I've ever heard about Boma is that the prime rib is usually pretty rare. Don't shoot me, meat-lovers, but I like all my beef medium-well. I can't imagine them refusing to cook a piece I pick out a little extra time...but did you notice any pieces out there already cooked well?

Don't know about cappucino, assume it's available but probably extra. DH is a major coffee lover and they had a french press he loved, but it was extra.

Beer/wine/alcoholic drinks are not included. The hard cider is alcoholic - kinda a fun thing for DH, as he remembered his Spanish grandfather tellin' him about it when GF was a young spanish soldier in Morocco a 100 years ago ;)

Prime rib WAS medium rare (our choice). I'd assume (like anywhere) end cuts would be more well done, and it's a matter of luck if you hit upon availability. Maybe ask and they'd nuke them more well-done?

Have fun!

Denise < --- sorry to say, loves cow so much she'd eat it rare to well-done without major complaints and/or slams towards anyone's preference ;)

Thanks, Denise...looking forward to that hard cider! Did you get a chance to walk around the lodge by the way? We always take time out to see Wilderness Lodge...our absolute favorite. But I hear AKL is amazing!

Originally posted by cd&kids

About the beer/wine - I don't know. I drink neither, and my wife has not chosen any to drink the times we have been there. As far as the prime rib - when we were there last, I remember them having two prime ribs that they were cutting from - one that looked medium-rare and another that looked like it was cooked medium.

And , of course, ZEBRA DOMES !

u aifg jgskgirjgsb gfnisjikksk

Opps - sorry. That's what you get when you start drooling on the keyboard :p .

We ate at Boma 3 times during our visit this past week, instead of only once as we had planned. The prime rib was excellent; it was rare (which is my preference), and my friend who does not appreciate rare beef requested an end cut, which was also wonderful because of the way the roast was herbed and spiced. The accompanying sauces were so good, especially a tamarind barbecue sauce, and the honey dijon. There was very good pasta salad that tasted of curry, and a cilantro-lime dressing for the mixed field greens that was excellent. I could go on and on but you have to see for yourself. And the desserts....sigh.

What time does dinner start and end at? Are the foods to exotic or can anyone find somthing good to eat there? Thanks

Originally posted by denisem
Zebra domes ARE "all that" and they had a coconut tiramisu that I'll request for my last meal if I'm ever on death row... ;)

Too funny!! :teeth:

They didn't have that either time we were there! Guess I'll have to go back again! :p

Originally posted by denisem
FWIW, I coulda prolly gotten my money's worth from the desserts alone - outstanding! Zebra domes ARE "all that" and they had a coconut tiramisu that I'll request for my last meal if I'm ever on death row... ;)

I also love the coconut tiramisu. It's great! Be aware that Boma's only serves it every other day. I usually will make 2 Priority Seatings at Boma's on consecutive days and then cancel the one that won't have tiramisu :).

Dinner starts at 5 p.m. and I am not sure of the ending time but I think it's 10 p.m. While it does have exotic dishes, it also has very good "regular" food. The prime rib is excellent, there are soups that are so good and very filling, mac and cheese, chicken strips, etc. I can't imagine anyone not being able to find lots of excellent food that appeals.

Originally posted by MikeWazowski
What time does dinner start and end at? Are the foods to exotic or can anyone find somthing good to eat there? Thanks

I can't imagine anyone pickier than my husband! Won't eat at San Angel Inn, Marrakesh, Teppanyaki is a stretch, not interested in Spoodles... you get the idea. But he loves Boma! As long as you like mediterranean spices, I think you should be fine -- things like curry, coriander, etc. Seems I recall quite a few nuts in the food. For instance, they have a plain salad bar as far as the lettuce and fixin's go, but the dressings have some interesting flavors. They have some veggies that are 'mixed' with things unacceptable to my DH, but they also have some plain potatoes that just have spices added to them.

I think the soups are fantastic -- and the desserts, as mentioned by others. You could almost make a meal off just that. Or... forget the soup! :D

I would encourage you to try it. There's a real good mix of food. Have fun!

Thanks for the great review of Boma. It is one of our favs too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter