Just back from BWI-What a complete surprise!!

florida res

Earning My Ears
Me and my DH decided to take a quick "pre-vacation" to our real vacation in July to YC/AKL and booked at the BWI. We had never stayed there before however parked there and walked thru it a million times. Never in a million years did I expect the trip we had!

We booked a standard room (parking lot) and imagine my surprise when I opened the doors to our room..We had a corner room, 4803, so we had two sets of windows. One overlooking a courtyard below, the balcony overlooking the most beautiful garden area and right over the top of the building in front of us was the Epcot Ball!!!! Fireworks from the balcony baby!! I love free upgrades. Only problem is, I can never book a "standard" room again since upgrades don't happy all the time and I wouldn't give up that view for anything!

The quiet pool was wonderful. We literally were the only ones in it on Fri nite, anytime we went on Saturday, and Sunday morning. It had a few more people at it Sunday afternoon but still, it was so peaceful. I just can't get over how quiet it was on our side and then right over the top of the building was all the hussle and bussle of the Boardwalk! I had dreaded staying here because of the noise but I can honestly say that BWI has knocked AKL from its perch as my favorite "quiet, relaxation resort" and has taken over! Next time I would like to stay in one of the cottages. We past by them everyday on the way to the pool and they were beautiful. They have an upstairs loft with a four-poster bed (couldn't see much more, drapes weren't open THAT much!!)

Ate at Flying Fish, always wonderful. Got right in without ressies since we sat at the bar in front of the kitchen. Also ate at the Portebello Yacht club in downtown and had the best Halibut ever in my life! Didn't like the Big Brewery/Grill Works place. Maybe if we were sitting outside it would have been different but the inside of that place is weird!

Just wanted to share. Now I have new favorite resort. BWI doesn't get talked about much on these boards and it deserves to be!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We stayed in one last December and LOVED it! I swear the bathtub was large enough for a family of 6!:p I really want to stay there again; but I've promised myself that I'll try out the other resorts on my list before any repeats!:D

Thanks for posting...that's one resort I've always wondered about. Sounds like you had a wonderful time :).

You are so right florida res! The Boardwalk Inn is just awesome and it sounds like your room was the best. We've stayed at BWI once and BWV once and both times we loved it. We had a room over the Boardwalk Bakery on one trip and it was such fun sitting on the balcony watching all of the activities on the boardwalk below us. Both pool areas are great too. The cottages are adorable, but quite expensive! If you go out on the "front porch" outside the lobby they have those wonderful rocking chairs where you can just sit and chill while looking out over the lake and watching the boats come and go--so peaceful and relaxing. I don't understand why the BWI isn't discussed as much as the other resorts unless it's because it is a convention hotel although I really didn't even notice the conventioneers on either of our trips. Glad you had fun!

Glad you loved BWI! I'm counting down to my first trip to BWV and your report has gotten me even more stoked!

Glad to hear that you had a great time! :) We are anxiously awaiting our next trip. We really want to try the AKL, but EPCOT is our favorite resort and we usually stay at the YC to be near it. That is why we booked half the trip at the BWI. We are looking forward to staying there for the first time. Love to hear good things about it!

Jill

Glad to hear such glowing reviews of the BWI. That is on our must do list! How was the room size? Do you think it would comfortably hold 2 addults and 3 small kids?

Just to clarify, our room number was 4308.. I realized while walking down the hall to our room that the "odd" numbers were on the right (aka, parking lot views...) That's when I first started to get excited about a possible upgrade!

The room size I would say is comparable to YC/BC. We had a King bed and the fact that it was a corner room having one wall with the balcony and the other wall with a full window made the room feel huge! I think it would comfortably fit you and your kids momtomootoo, with 2 queen beds in it!

There was even a crib in the closet should you need it.

A few weeks ago my mom stayed there for $104!!! It was the POFQ upgrade. They were thrilled with the place and took tons of pictures. The only other Disney resorts they've stayed at were ASMo, CSR, and AKL. They also had a very nice garden view. Maybe they fill up the nicer views first (that's what I would do to insure repeat visits!)

Anyway, I kept asking about YC/BC. She said that they walked over there and it was okay, but couldn't understand why anyone would choose to stay over there when there was "nothing to do" . I asked her if she saw SB. She did , but was unmoved in her resolve. No... the BWI had it all as far as she as concerned!

Shhhhhhhhhh....don't let too many people know this secret! I have stayed there 3 times now and every time was just heavenly. One trip a cast member (a cousin of one of my best friends) made our trip so memorable that we were in serious depression when we came home. We almost booked our last trip at the YC but upon further reflection we knew we would look across that lagoon and wistfully wish we were at the Boardwalk!! Notice on my countdown timer...GF and BWI, we know we will love both but the Inn is our very favorite!!

Actually, I believe that lovely view of the gardens is considered standard view:D Unless things have changed since our Jan. trip, the rooms are standard or water view. Views of the parking lot and the gardens are both in the standard catagory! We booked a standard room and requested a garden view and also had a great view of Illuminations and the beautiful gardens.

Sounds like the secret may be getting out about my favorite resort;)

Oh this is so great to hear, I know you don't read much on the Boardwalk, but they have to be doing something right to be rated right below the Grand Floridian in the "Unofficial Guide" book. We're staying there for the first time in December. Now I'm REALLY excited!!!

I'm glad to hear you had a great time -- I love BWI, too! Both times we stayed there we were upgraded to a garden view. Once we were directly across from the garden cottage suites and the other time we were directly over them. The first time we were in room 3312, and it was really nice because it was at the beginning of that wing, so we had a "corner" room -- extra window on one side and only one neighbor instead of one on each side.

I love GF just a bit more in terms of overall luxury, but it's so close it's a virtual tie. When DS is older (he's 20 months now) we'll probably go back to BWI, but for now we'll stick to the monorail resorts.

As for BWI not getting much play here, it's so small (378 rooms) that the resulting percentage of board readers/posters who stay there is also small. It really is one of the best kept secrets among the deluxe resorts!

I agree with you, florida res. The BWI is great! I stayed there in May 2000, and we loved it. It really does have a wonderfully relaxing feel to it, all while being elegant at the same time. I am going to stay in one of the garden suites on my honeymoon in December, and I can't wait! I've heard tons of great reviews of these suites, and I'm dying to try that huge bathtub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter