Just Back: Tokyo Disney in May

Nala83

Mouseketeer
I just returned from 3 amazing weeks in Japan, including 4 days at Tokyo Disney. Wow! For reference, I was in the parks on weekdays in mid-May.

Park Tickets: I purchased my park tickets in advance through the Tokyo Disney app using my Wise account card. I opened this account and converted some dollars to yen when the exchange rate was good. Others have had trouble using foreign credit cards to book tickets through the app. Klook is another option.

Arrival: I was coming from Hakone, so I arrived by train via Tokyo Station. The platform for the line that you take to Maihama Station is marked with giant red arrows on the floor. Tokyo Station is a zoo, but you just keep following the arrows! From Maihama Station I got a shuttle bus to my hotel, the Hilton Tokyo Bay.

Hotel: I stayed 5 nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, booked on points (book 4 nights, get one free). Hilton Tokyo Bay is just across from the monorail that takes you directly to the parks. Great location and much less expensive than the official Disney hotels. Buffet breakfast starts at 6:30 and is free if you have Gold Status (Hilton Surpass or Aspire credit cards). There's also a convenience store with breakfast options.

Monorail: Unlike WDW, the monorail isn't free. I purchased a 4-day pass. You can buy shorter passes or pay for each ride. Each kiosk gives a different ticket design, so choose wisely! Keep the ticket handy- you need it to enter and exit the station.

Arrival: The parks officially opened at 9:00, but they actually opened at 8:30 each day. Guests at the official hotels got in at 8:15. I arrived at around 7:15 each day. There were people there, but I wasn't terribly far back. Everyone brings picnic mats (get one- they're cheap and everywhere!) and camps out in orderly lines.

Navigating the Parks: The uber-planner in me felt really lost navigating the parks. Disney Sea doesn't have a hub! What order am I supposed to be doing things in? Fortunately, I had two days in each park.
  • The map is on the app and it functions like google maps, where you are the moving blue dot. Wait times were listed as well.
  • Entry Requests: The shows require entry requests- essentially a lottery. Once inside the park, you can use the app to request a particular show. If you get lucky, they assign you a seat. If not, you are mostly out of luck. The exception is that the first performance of every show is standby.
  • Premier Access: Some rides offer paid, timed access (aka Individual Lightning Lanes, except you get to choose your times). You can select one. You can select another after using the first or after 60 minutes has passed. The parades at Disneyland and the nighttime show and Sea also offer this. You purchase this through the app, using the credit card that you keep on file.

Disney Sea
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth, Toy Story, and Soaring get the longest lines. They have Premier Access.
  • Tower of Terror has a totally different backstory and an amazing queue. Don't skip it.
  • I wasn't going to do Soaring: Fantastic Flight. The film is essentially the same, but the queue was worth it.
  • Indiana Jones has a single rider line. It's similar to Disneyland CA but better.
  • I used Premier Access for the Believe Sea of Dreams nighttime show. It seems like a lot of the good areas are blocked for that, and people camp out for so long for the other spots...my time was worth more than that! You still need to get to the viewing area close to when the window opens. Bring your picnic mat and a snack.
  • I tried to get the entry request for the Big Band Beat show and didn't get it, so I attended the first show (standby). I got there 45 minutes early.
Disneyland
  • Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast is my new favorite ride of all time. Because of this, I now know that you can buy Premier Access for the same attraction twice in the same day. (Premiere Access is the only way to do this ride, or it will suck up your entire day.)
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt is doesn't have Premier Access. It's good first thing in the morning or during parades.
  • Don't skip the rides that you think are the same. It's a Small World was a pleasant surprise. So was the Jungle Cruise. Do the castle walk through.
  • But Happy Ride with Baymax? It's Alien Swirling Saucers...with the adult riders all dancing. What am I missing? Definitely worth seeing.
  • The parades offer Premier Access. People were camped out for the 2:00 daytime parade at 8:50. Seriously! The viewing areas get packed. That said, everyone sits during the entire parade. As a solo traveler, I had no problem finding a perfect little spot for myself 15 minutes before the parade. If I was traveling as a family with kids, I'd seriously consider the Premier Access. It's either that or spread out the picnic mats and take turns camping out.
  • Food lines got long, even during the "off" times. I had lunch at the Queen of Hearts Banquet hall when it opened at 10:30. When I left at 10:50 there was a long time stretching out the door. A similar thing happened when I ate in the restaurant in Splash Mountain. By going at 3:45 I caught the beginning of the dinner rush.
  • I scored entry requests for Club Mouse Beat and Mickey's Magical Musical World. Club Mouse Beat is worth doing standby for if you don't get an entry request.

That's what comes to mind now. It was a fabulous trip. In addition to Tokyo Disney, I spent time in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara, and Kawagoe. I'm happy to answer any questions. I know I had a lot of them!

The China Voyager is a hidden gem that many locals eat at. Their ramen set is decently priced and the food is delicious.

Being able to ride Splash in pristine condition was amazing.

The Magellan's new course is also super good, the 40th drink they offer was also great.

You must ride Jungle Cruise at night. It's such a unique experience.

If people really want each 40th monorail pass, it's 1000 yen per day but you can get a limited edition pass for each. Obviously the more days you get the better discount though.

I agree with Beauty and the Beast, words cannot simply describe what it's like to experience it in person. It's also my new favorite Disney ride of all time.

Thank you for the trip report! So very helpful!

How was the breakfast at Hilton at 6:30 AM? Crowded or somehow manageable? TIA!

Asking on behalf of my toddler daughter - was there much Frozen merchandise in either of the parks?

How was the breakfast at Hilton at 6:30 AM? Crowded or somehow manageable?
In my experience (all pre-COVID visits), it’s busy (pretty much every table is occupied), but fine. The locals all move through / about the buffet in an orderly manner and they don’t leave messes behind (eg abandoned plates, misplaced / missing tongs, etc).

Strangely, they didn’t seem to frequent the omelette station too much. There was usually only 2/3 people waiting for omelettes.

I think the only negative is that, like most hotel buffets, the glasses / cups are tiny, so repeat visits for water / juice are required. They do have an excellent ice coffee station too!

Thank you for the trip report! So very helpful!

How was the breakfast at Hilton at 6:30 AM? Crowded or somehow manageable? TIA!
I was there by 6:25 and used the Hilton Honors line, so I was one of the first people in and one of the first to reach the buffet. I didn't linger over breakfast, but at the time I left at around 6:50-55 things still seemed manageble. They are two separate sections of the restaurant with identical buffets. As one fills up, they open the second. You can grab food from either.

My final morning hotel occupancy must have been higher because they opened up the O Lounge, an additional restaurant, to serve the buffet. Same food, but fewer people seemed to know it was an option. Same story, I was in and out by 6:50 with no wait for food.

I agree about the juice cups! Same with water cups. Tiny, everywhere!

Asking on behalf of my toddler daughter - was there much Frozen merchandise in either of the parks?
Your daughter may be disappointed. I didn't see much. I'm trying to remember if I saw any in the actual parks, and I'm not sure I did- though there must have been some. (I went to couple of Disney stores outside of the parks, too.)

I did see Elsa in the parade at Disneyland.

Once Fantasy Springs opens, Frozen stuff will be EVERYWHERE! Until then, there just doesn't seem to be much interest.

I was there by 6:25 and used the Hilton Honors line, so I was one of the first people in and one of the first to reach the buffet. I didn't linger over breakfast, but at the time I left at around 6:50-55 things still seemed manageble. They are two separate sections of the restaurant with identical buffets. As one fills up, they open the second. You can grab food from either.

My final morning hotel occupancy must have been higher because they opened up the O Lounge, an additional restaurant, to serve the buffet. Same food, but fewer people seemed to know it was an option. Same story, I was in and out by 6:50 with no wait for food.

I agree about the juice cups! Same with water cups. Tiny, everywhere!

Did you have access to the executive lounge? I'm curious about the quality of the evening food options there.

Did you have access to the executive lounge? I'm curious about the quality of the evening food options there.
I did. I went a few times. It wasn't designed to be a dinner but I managed to make it into one! There were always cheese/crackers, green salad, some other salads, and breads. The "main dishes" rotated: one night it was a fish dish, the other nights were chicken dishes. Warm sides rotated as well. Lots of desserts. I thought the food was decent- certainly not the best I ate in Japan, but a good option. Food is out from 5:00-7:00.

Your daughter may be disappointed. I didn't see much. I'm trying to remember if I saw any in the actual parks, and I'm not sure I did- though there must have been some.
Thank you! Personally I’m happy about that : )

I'm curious about the quality of the evening food options there.
I agree with the OP. Again, it’s been a while and options were a little limited, but it was enough to serve as “dinner”.

And it’s a nice, relaxing atmosphere which is a bonus after being in the parks all day / if you’re just stopping for a quick bite before heading back to the parks.

Another question, do you have any trouble paying for Disney Premier Access with your credit card? Thanks!

Another question, do you have any trouble paying for Disney Premier Access with your credit card? Thanks!
I didn't have any problems, but I used the WISE card- same multi-currency card I used to book tickets via the app. I thought foreign cards generally worked, but someone on here (can't recall who) reported problems and had to go purchase it in person.

The good news is that the Premier Access isn't like the race to get ILLs at WDW! If you have problems, there is plenty of time to deal with it.

What was your favorite places that you visited outside of TDR??? We are in the planning stages of our Japan 24 Trip. We will be going in June. one son will be finishing a semester abroad in Singapore so the boys want to meet in Japan.

OP: Was 4 days enough? And would have wanted to do more if you had booked it?

Thanks for the report! We're planning to go next May, a week after Golden Week, so hoping for low(er) crowds. How were the lines, in general? Crowds?

We were going to do Hilton for two nights (taking one day off to poke around Ikspiari, let jet lag wear off, etc.) at Hilton then move to Miracosta for three, with four days in the parks. Should I save the money and just stay at Hilton the whole time? It looks convenient, or just as convenient, monorail-wise, except for not being IN the park.

Recommendations on airport transfers? Limo Bus looks the most convenient/most cost-effective.

Thanks for the report! We're planning to go next May, a week after Golden Week, so hoping for low(er) crowds. How were the lines, in general? Crowds?

We were going to do Hilton for two nights (taking one day off to poke around Ikspiari, let jet lag wear off, etc.) at Hilton then move to Miracosta for three, with four days in the parks. Should I save the money and just stay at Hilton the whole time? It looks convenient, or just as convenient, monorail-wise, except for not being IN the park.

Recommendations on airport transfers? Limo Bus looks the most convenient/most cost-effective.

Right after Golden Week is usually good crowd wise but not as low as years ago. I feel like late January and early February may have slightly lower crowds but it's usually cold and may snow.

Miracosta also gets you access to early entry and a special entrance into DisneySea. That basically equals one extra E-ticket ride with basically no wait. If you won't maximize that, then it doesn't make sense to do Miracosta.

The limo bus is good if the timing works out for you. I've taken JR quite a few times also but that requires a lot of transfers.

OP: Was 4 days enough? And would have wanted to do more if you had booked it?
I thought four days was just right. I did all of the attractions (and repeated some favorites) and all of the shows, and I had time to wander and take pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter