Just Booked First solo Trip! Some ?'s

scoutsmom99

<b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu
I took the plunge today and booked my first solo trip for January at CBR! I'm very exctied, but I have a few questions...

1. Anyone done O'hana's alone? I love O'hana, but I'm not sure about doing it solo.
2. Do most solos just take Mears? Any suggestions on transportation?
3. Any fun solo activities I should partake in?
4. What should I pack for January?

Hi and congrats on your first solo trip alone. I did my first solo there last Nov and had a wonderful time (best vacation ever to date). As for the time of year your going, pack for cool to cold weather (it can be in the upper 50's during the day and in 30's at night) depending on when the cold fronts come through (when I went in Dec. 2002, that is exactly how the weather was and there were plenty of people who didn't think the temps dropped that low). On the flip side it can also be in the 70's during the day.

I haven't eaten at Ohana's solo so can't comment but other sitdown places were fine. I brought a journal to write in and depending on how close the tables were to others at various rest., I ended up having conversations with people around me.

Solo activities for adults - Boardwalk is nice as is Jellyrolls. Downtown Disney shopping solo is wonderful. You can just leisurely walk around at your own pace, no one commenting on the length of your shopping trip. I also love to tour various resorts solo, have a bite to eat and walk the grounds (never know if a future stay may happen there). WS is also wonderful to just walk around enjoying the archituecture of the buildings and listening to the bands.

Mears was fine when I took it. I only had about a 10 minute wait at the airport but had about 4 stops before my hotel but ride wasn't bad (in fact the bus was full of women heading to Disney - no children or men in there). Now if you want to stop at a grocery store, then you may want to pay the money for a private car.

I really enjoyed that trip simply because it was so simple. I didn't have to check with anyone else on what they wanted to do. I didn't have to hear "I'm tired" after walking around a few hours. I loved the fact that it took me 5 hours to wonder around DTD shopping in all the stores and taking my time. I even did half a day at Typhoon Lagoon (wasn't too cold) and realized that I could've spent the whole day there and had a ton of fun. Enjoy your trip.

since this is your first solo trip.

go post on the dis meet board and see if other Dis people won't meet with you at that time. Do it early so if you manage to make a friend - you can meet up again later.

I have rented a car when I was solo - okay - not really solo - I took Spicey which is why I needed a car.

I have also taken Mears.

solo trips can be such fun!

do what you want when you want!

yecats and spiceycat
Thanks for the ideas...I have never been to the boardwalk at night I think I will have to give that a try! Also lesierly shopping at DTD wuold be nice last time I felt so rushed my mother wasn't interested at looking at every single item (as I was)! If anyone has anyother ideas let me know :)

I have dined at 'Ohana several times solo and found it to be a great solo place. There are activities going on for the kids, which are fun to watch. The food is good, and I just love the Poly with its relaxing atmosphere.

I use a towncar service when I'm alone, as I feel more secure doing this.

Regarding activities--that's the best part! Do what you want--when you want! ;) Do the little things that you've always wanted to do.

For clothing, I'd suggest that you pack for warm and cold weather. Layers seem to work best, as it CAN be cold. I've been there in January when the wind chill was 18. But, it can also be in the 80's. Unpredictable, but it's the best time to visit WDW!
:teeth:

Enjoy your trip!

Check out show times for Bob Jackson at the POR River Roost Lounge ... his show is free and is extremely audience interactive!! When we saw him last March, I think he was appearing Wed-Sun. You can also get drinks and bar-type snacks there.

I am also doing a first ever solo trip in january.With my kids in high school and wanting to spend time with thier friends on school vacations solo was the only way i can have a winter vacation.DH will go away early jan while i man the homefront
and i will go late in jan while he is home.I chose to stay at the Boardwalk to be in the action,i plan on doing alot of time at epcot
listening to british invasion off kilter these are things the kids always drag me away from.I also plan on a few treats at the Grand Floridian Spa not sure what yet maybe a massage and pedicure.I have never taken a tour in all of our trips cause the family isnt into that so i am looking into that.As for meals i plan on going wherever i want, if you like ohana then go,i would much rather be sitting alone than with a tired family fussy kids grumpy spouse by the end of the day,if you feel uncomfortable bring a book or maps to look at better yet have a drink to loosen up.
with all the time i spend doing for others between family and work i will try to treasure every moment that i dont have to talk to someone answer questions and solve problems who knows i may even take a journal along-geuss i have to buy one first.Whatever you do just cherish the time to be with a great person,yourself!!!

Originally posted by scoutsmom99
I took the plunge today and booked my first solo trip for January at CBR! I'm very exctied, but I have a few questions...

1. Anyone done O'hana's alone? I love O'hana, but I'm not sure about doing it solo.
2. Do most solos just take Mears? Any suggestions on transportation?
3. Any fun solo activities I should partake in?
4. What should I pack for January?

I haven't done O'Hana, but I have done Brown Derby, Le Cellier, Contemporary Steak House, and other sit-down "fancy" places by myself. Most of them don't bat an eye - solo travelers tend to have a larger disposable budget for food and they are used to us. I was especially welcomed at Brown Derby - it's my #1 solo spot. Although I almost never recomend it to people because the value isn't great, the Sci-Fi Dine in is also great solo, though I wouldn't order anything more complex than a burger.

Mears or Towncar, it depends on the budget. Mears is pretty decent, and I have never had problems, but of course a towncar is just nicer. It's $30 for mears, or about $80-90 (plus tip) for a towncar, so you just have to figure out which fits in your budget. I totally didn't understand those families that took Mears with me - if you have 3 or more people towncars/driven vans are actually CHEAPER.

Solo activites? Everywhere! There are so many lovely benches with breathtaking views everywhere at WDW, that I was perfectly content to sit down for 1/2 hour and just people watch while having a snack. Helping people take pictures is also fun. My favorite thing to do while in WDW was working on my journal while waiting for rides/etc. Now I have a lovely record of my visit (that is slowly being fleshed out into a very long trip report).

Can't really speak to packing - it all depends on what you are used to. When I go in January again (just got back from a late October trip and so excited to go back so soon!) I'll be coming from snow, so I'll probably be wearing shorts and t-shirt/sweatshirt. Some people i know feel like they need a sweater if it's below 60 degrees, hehe.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

N.E.D.

Once again thanks for all of the ideas! I was so back and forth on the idea of going alone (missing family and not having anyone to say wasn't that fun to after each thing) Everyone here on the dis has been so reassuring!

MdmMim I'm glad to hear someone has dined at O'hana solo I wasn't sure about the atmosphere and being alone just stuck by myself, but the more I think about it and all of the activity there I'm going to do it.

N.E.D I'm glad to hear that Brown Derby is your #1 solo spot I just love it there and I'm planning on eating there my first night!

I just booked my first solo trip today too. Also for Jan. Will also be my first time flying. Plan to take Mears to resort as $80+ for towncar or taxi is not really in my budget. I can think of way better things to spend that $50-$60 on at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter