Just booked RPH

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
It is me ...the one with the major complaint at the HRH (not getting medical request granted). I did talk my husband into booking with Universal again. However...he is having surgery & we aren't sure if he will be up to the stay in Dec. I did go ahead and book the RPH with a FL resident rate of only $109. We will be going (if all goes well with surgery) Dec 21-24th (kids want to be home for Christmas Day). I did get a comp one night stay at the HRH, but they didnt' have any Fl discounts. I decided to save that comp night for anohter time. I made it very clear to the reservationist about a room near the elevator & told her why (medical reason) & what had happened in Oct. with the HRH. She assured me it will not happen again. I also told her what had happened with my stay at the RPH in Aug 02, booking club level, 2 queen beds & gettting a King room since they had "over-booked". She also assured me that we will get our 2 queen room (we aren't club level this time). Soooo we will see how this stay goes.... let's hope that I can actually get there with my husband & his surgery goes well!!!

I hope you will consider renting an ECV for your husband for your trip. www.walkermobility.com has them for rent - very reasonable prices, they deliver to the hotel and pick up from the hotel for free (you get it at baggage claim). It will be well worth the money. they are easy to drive (even fun). And it won't matter where your room is located as long as you have elevator access. See the disabilities board for more info on these.

I have talked to my husband & he will not use one... last time he had surgery, they told him to use a wheelchair for 2 weeks and he stopped after a few days... he is a stubburn person & thinks he can do more than he really can. He is the type that the Dr pulls out of work & he beggs to go back. He will not be going to the parks...... If he ends up with a knee replacement....he may not even be going with us at all...... I think we will just have to take the wait & see approch..... he may change his mind & want one....

Hope your trip goes much better for you this time, Sharon!

Men :rolleyes: it astounds me when someone won't take advantage of something that would make their life more enjoyable!. An ECV is a far cry from a wheelchair...no one pushes you, you have total control. Tell him it's like driving around a golf cart. it's motorized. With an ECV he could enjoy ALL that the theme parks have to offer and his trip would he 100 times better. I'd tell him if he doesn't rent one, then he shouldn't complain if problems arise (they could have been avoided...)

Anyway, you have done your part; you requested a room close to the elevator so I'd quit fretting over it and enjoy planning the rest of your trip. I love it how these husbands (MINE included!) whine or put all these problems to us and then balk at the solutions. :mad: It's HIS problem now.

By the way, I've used an ECV and they are great!:moped:

Puffy2...you have a good thought there....tell him it is like a golf cart..... that may work. You are also 100% on me doing my part....I did all that I could....

Well 2 things happened today... my husband had his surgery & he will still be on crutches when we arrive:( I called to make sure that we will get a room near the elevator OR I would have to have a handicaped room. They assured me I will get it. A few minutes later I recieved a call from the HRH. They were calling me to let me know that they WOULD give me the Fl resident rate (even though it wasn't coming up in the system....which was why I booked the RPH). They are letting me use my free night stay on 12/20 (the more expensive night since it is a Sat & I originally didn't book for that reason) then giving me the rate of $129 for the next 3 nights. The customer service manager also assured me that we would get a room near the elevator. She also suggest that we stay on the 3rd floor since it is the Lobby level to make access easier for my husband. So I think we are all set & I do believe we will have a better trip this time. They are already seeing to it. It will make a really nice Chritmas present since the Birthday idea was shot..... Now I am getting excited about the trip...... :D

Great! I'm glad your faith is being restored!! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Sharon,

Wishing your husband a quick recovery from his surgery! It sounds like they are going all out to make sure this stay is better than last. Thats very nice that they honored the Fl. rate and you can stay at HRH! Thats a busy week so it may have s/o for that rate already. At least they seem very aware of the situation and on top of things! Good Luck and I hope you enjoy it!:)

Wow, Sharon!! You've sure been through alot since we last talked, huh?

Hoping your "stubborn" DH a quick recover and CONGRATS on those rates on such a popular time of year. I'll be down the week after! :bounce:

I think they realized that we werent' just requesting near the elevator because we didnt' want to walk far to the room, but it really was a medical reason, especially now after they became aware of his surgery.... and yes....we are getting our faith back.....if they fall thru this time.... I know my husband will never go back. The best part of this deal is that my husband was so groggy today when I told him, that he didn't realize that I in fact added a day onto the trip ;) All he originally wanted to do was use the comp night plus 2 more..... now I got 3 plus the comp.... he will realize sooner or later..... I will just have to remind him on how HE WAS the one who decided to add on the day ::yes:: ::yes::

And Robin.... depending on how things work out over Christmas break, I may be able to head back up to meet up & have lunch.... what are your dates??????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter