Just discovered a quirky state rule, tell me about yours (region or country)

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I JUST now learned that Pennsylvania does not have the time of birth on the Birth Certificate, but for a fee my kids can have a new one printed up for the time to be added :confused: ummmm wha???

Last edited:
All state elected officials and attorneys in my state are constitutionally required to swear that they "have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending...."

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/Law/Constitution/Constitution/ViewConstitution?rsn=263

"breweries are required to go through a distributor if they want to sell their beer to a restaurant or liquor store"

A brewery can sell their own if they have their own restaurant on their brewery property but not if they move to another location that does not have their own brewery on it.

That may not sound quirky or odd to others but stat-wise it was mentioned in a news article earlier this month that 41 states allow microbrewers to directly sell their own beer so it puts my state in the vast minority.

Texas had Blue Laws for years, meaning you could not purchase any dry goods on a Sunday. Most of those laws were repealed, but car dealerships still must be closed one day out of the weekend, Saturday or Sunday.

Apparently, according to Illinois state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is"American".

Also, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.

There’s an Illinois law that reportedly mandates all bachelors be called “Master” instead of “Mister” by their prospective female suitors.

Par for the course, I'd say. Can't wait to leave.

ETA: Just read that the language law was "quietly" amended in 1969, but had been on the books for 45 years.

Last edited:

I looked up my state and these laws came up for Maryland as still on the books:
  • It's illegal to take a lion to the movies in the city of Baltimore. (Seems kind of discriminatory against lions).
  • No throwing bales of hay from second-story windows.
  • No cursing inside city limits.
I do want to know the circumstances where it became necessary to pass the lion law.

"breweries are required to go through a distributor if they want to sell their beer to a restaurant or liquor store"

A brewery can sell their own if they have their own restaurant on their brewery property but not if they move to another location that does not have their own brewery on it.

That may not sound quirky or odd to others but stat-wise it was mentioned in a news article earlier this month that 41 states allow microbrewers to directly sell their own beer so it puts my state in the vast minority.
Even without this law I think most are somewhat forced to go through a distributer to get shelf space etc..

Doing it without a distributor is not so easy from what I have read and seen.

And of course there are the 12 or so states that have these laws.

I looked up my state and these laws came up for Maryland as still on the books:
  • It's illegal to take a lion to the movies in the city of Baltimore. (Seems kind of discriminatory against lions).
  • No throwing bales of hay from second-story windows.
  • No cursing inside city limits.
I do want to know the circumstances where it became necessary to pass the lion law.

Interesting. I saw that it's illegal to bring a French poodle to the opera in Chicago. No culture for animals, I guess.

Even without this law I think most are somewhat forced to go through a distributer to get shelf space etc..

Doing it without a distributor is not so easy from what I have read and seen.

And of course there are the 12 or so states that have these laws.
Admittedly I failed to mention that the law says that while you have to go through a distributor if you want to sell your beer you have to buy it back from the wholesaler/distributor if you want to sell it yourself off premise so it's not just about shelf space. It affects all sales regardless of what it is from these businesses. You can't just bring your beer and sell it directly to things like a festival (one example given in an article from last month I was reading).

The reason for KS largely is tied to archaic pre-prohibition laws so much of our silly laws tied to alcohol are from decades before prohibition occurred. They are open to changing the law and a bunch of breweries (of which it's hard to even have those in my state because of old laws) want to change the law because it makes it difficult to stay in business but the concern with the way the wording was done for a proposed change would be that outside of the state breweries would flood in. Well that's their reasoning at least so back to the drawing board.

As far as shelf space well according to microbrewers throughout the state they are finding distributors are not always representing local products when the law requires them to go through them. Though they don't point to the distributor as the biggest problem more that their hands are tied on how they choose to sell their product.

From the news articles in February these microbrewers aren't necessarily always producing the level that would necessitate a distributor and that doesn't incentivize the distributor at all. But by law they cannot sell any amount period of their beer produced unless it's on their premise without going through a distributor.

One of the breweries said changing the law "It is an effort to modernize an antiquated law that was established before the first microbreweries in Kansas, level the playing field for small business and provide microbreweries with free-market options in the event that they do not believe their interests are being well represented."

As far as local article read there would be only 9 states that do not allow microbrewers to sell directly.

Not a local oddity, but apparently a HUGE oversight in preventing racketeering and corruption in sports gambling on the part of the Canadian Feds. Practically no one had any idea this wasn't illegal here, until very recently when a (minor) scandal emerged. :eek:

1711648314038.png

Illinois is the only state requiring road tests for older driver's license renewals. I had to take a road test in 2021 for a 4 year renewal. I will have to take another next year, 2025. If still kicking (and driving), I'll have to take another 2 years later in 2027 and 2 years later, 2029, then every year after. Maybe I'll just use Uber. :drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter