Just for the sake of discussion...

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
We have had all kinds of talk about AKV, CRV and possible add-ons of DVC to other existing properties at both WDW and DL. SO...

When AKL was first being built, the scuttlebutt from most CM's at WDW was that it was to be a new DVC resort with it's own savanna. I remember hopeing against hope that it was indeed true. When AKL was being finished and it was announced that it was a Disney resort (no further mention of DVC), I was disappointed, but I did stay there once anyway. My stay made me all the more wistful for a DVC there. Now that it is coming to pass, and the new AKV will be significantly larger than the original AKL, I wonder if the scuttlebutt we heard way back when might actually have been true? Do you think the AKL was originally going to be DVC, but was turned into a stand alone, only to be returned to a DVC idea?

No, my guess is that it was designed to be mixed DVC/regular hotel from the beginning. Just too coincidental that the deluxe rooms are so easy to convert and located in just one area.

I never hear that scuttlebutt BTW. Was that from DVC CMs? There was so much info out there about it being a hotel.:confused3

Diane...I really don't have a good speculation on this. :confused3

It's hard to believe that they got that far down the DVC path and switched to a regular resort. My guess would be that many ideas were bounced around during the planning stages and that the deluxe resort idea won out.

Keep in mind, it is designed closely after Wilderness Lodge which has been a very successful addition to the deluxe resort lineup for Disney. And it was being built at the same time as the VWL resort, so I'll guess that they wanted to create the same path for AKL --> AKV that they did for WL --> VWL.

In other words, create the destination resort demand with heavy theming and then add DVC to it once it is established.

That's my guess anyway. :)

I don't think so.

the AKV that I heard about was over closer to the bus stop. Not even close to as big as the real AKV will be. and certainly not in the AKL also.

they expanded the originally plans quite a bit.:thumbsup2

just means that DVC is selling!!!!:cutie:

besides the lady on the video says they looked at 20 different location around AKL property before they settled on it.

they might have had a plan - but thanks to the great sales at SSR it went out the window.

Anything is possible but the DVC section is a seperate building although converting some of the rooms in AKL does sound suspicious I would suppose this may have been done to bypass some type of law that would not allow DVC to sell AKV until a certian completion of construction as it is obvious that SSR is fast approaching the end of its sales and what would they do with the sales team if they had a lapse of say a year.
On the other hand glad to hear DVC was built in a resort you enjoy.

I think AKL was built with the potential for a DVC to be incorporated as part of the resort area someday. That day has come obviously. I believe the way it is being designed was determined by a couple of factors.

1. AKL occupancy levels
2. DVC demand and success
3. Profitability

Diane...I really don't have a good speculation on this. :confused3

It's hard to believe that they got that far down the DVC path and switched to a regular resort. My guess would be that many ideas were bounced around during the planning stages and that the deluxe resort idea won out.

Keep in mind, it is designed closely after Wilderness Lodge which has been a very successful addition to the deluxe resort lineup for Disney. And it was being built at the same time as the VWL resort, so I'll guess that they wanted to create the same path for AKL --> AKV that they did for WL --> VWL.

In other words, create the destination resort demand with heavy theming and then add DVC to it once it is established.

That's my guess anyway. :)

This makes sense to me. I wasn't on these boards (or a DVCer) when AKL was being built, but considering that similarity of the lodges (AKL and WL), and how the progression went at WL, it makes sense that AK is following the WL model of opening the resort first and then adding the DVC component.

Of course, this could be a new idea entirely (or at least a newly revisited idea) as reports indicate that AKL was not filling and that DVC would "save" it.

It seems that the trend may be to continue adding on at existing resorts and have them be mixed use. The rumors for both CR and DL support that. Also, since the resort portion is already complete, it makes it so easy for DVC/DVD to begin selling (due to the 70% completion law)--prospective buyers don't have to wait for years before buying in. Look how fast it all happened with AKV once announced. If DVC knows that people have money burning a hole in their pockets, they are not going to want them to be waiting around for years while something gets from 0 all the way to 70% in order to sell...they're going to want to get that money before it goes into someone else's pocket.

AKL was originally designed to be Disney's (hopefully) 5 Star Deluxe Resort. They never did achieve that goal but they sure do have a lovely resort with many deluxe amenities.

I don't believe it was originally designed as a DVC resort but perhaps evolved into that over time.

If they came close to making it a DVC, I would think that the 5th and 6th floor infrastructure would have been more condusive to a BWV/BCV/VWL style room. The converted DVC rooms on those floors are pretty makeshift, which leads me to believe that despite the units being larger than the lower floor "standard" rooms, the 2001 finished product was simply part of the plan all along.

AKL was originally designed to be Disney's (hopefully) 5 Star Deluxe Resort. They never did achieve that goal but they sure do have a lovely resort with many deluxe amenities.

I don't believe it was originally designed as a DVC resort but perhaps evolved into that over time.

They haven't achieved that 5 Star Deluxe Resort anywhere, if that's their goal they are falling woefully short!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter