Keep Calm and Go to Disney! 10/21 - 11/4/14 COMPLETE

Sure are! We'll attempt to recreate some of the great moments from the December trip with you and many of the Disers 2 years ago. We'll be there early December. I'm directing all inquiring minds from our small travel group who want to know about Disney dining to your dining reviews. :magnify:

Oh, how exciting!! :woohoo: I hope you have an awesome trip! I'm leaving for WDW this week, going with my three kids to celebrate Emily's college graduation (she graduated yesterday). If I have any money left after that, I might try to sneak in another trip this year. While a fall trip for the F & W fest would be my first choice, my second choice would be in early December for all of the holiday decorations and doings. So you never know, we might just run into each other. ;)

Aaaahhh! Every time I stop by your DR, I find a new food I need to get!!! That bread bowl looks fantastic! I believe I will blame you when I gain 20 lbs at Disney in November. :rotfl2::laughing:

Oh, but you must know that Disney food has 0 calories, right?? :confused3

what kind of camera did you use for these pictures??

Most of my photos were taken with my Sony NEX-6 camera, but a few were just with my iPhone 5.

Ok, after 2 parties of the senses I completely have my leading disney bucket list item. Amazing food, wine, and cirque du soleil...Gonna have to figure out how I can get there sometime in the coming years. Completely and utterly amazing. Thanks for all the pics.

How was the sweetbread? These are one of my favorite foods and I'm always disappointed they never show up at Disney. Until today that is ; )

That shortbread and lamb look pretty darn amazing too.

How cool Elizabeth Falkner was there. I didn't know the attracted much of the celebrity chef gang.

Thanks for all the boardwalk bakery pics. Your hubby's sticky bun looks sinfully delicious

Yes, my hubby does have delicious-looking buns...ummm, I mean sticky buns. :rotfl:

After my husband left for the airport, I decided to ditch my plan to go to Downtown Disney for brunch at Raglan Road. Instead I opted for a much closer place to get a taste from that area of the world, Epcot's...

While I waited to be seated, I decided to put my time to good use by taking photos of the Lunch and Dinner menus posted outside of the restaurant...

Though I took those photos, I apparently didn't look at the menus very closely. Otherwise I would have caught the fact that they had changed the entrée that I was intending to order...

English Breakfast Burger - Angus Beef Patty with Applewood-smoked Bacon, Cheddar, Fried Egg and House-made HP sauce, served with Chips

You see folks, the last time I had lunch at the R & C (in Dec. 2013), this is what I had planned to get. But then my DD ordered it and not wanting to order the same thing I went with my usual R & C entrée, the Fish & Chips. So this time I was determined to finally try the English Breakfast Burger...but more on that later. ;)

I was seated at a two-top table outside on the deck, with a great view of the World Showcase lagoon.

It's so nice to sit and watch the boats go by...

The one bad thing is that there was a very aggressive squirrel running around underneath all of the tables looking for dropped food.

Now nothing against squirrels, but the thought of having a rodent brush up against my legs while I'm trying to enjoy my lunch did not appeal to me at all. :eek:

But I tried not to think about it and turned my attention to the menu, starting with the beverages...

From here I chose the Cider & Black, which is Hard Cider with a shot of Black Currant Juice...

This seems more like drinking a soda than an alcoholic beverage, so I really enjoyed it! :thumbsup2

Then moving on to the food...

I love their Scotch Egg appetizer so I started my meal with that...

Scotch Egg - Golden-fried Hard-boiled Egg wrapped in Sausage Meat with Mustard Sauce

I had had this three or four times previously and have always enjoyed it. This time was no different. Though I'm not generally a fan of mustard, I love the combination of the mustard sauce with the sausage and hard-boiled egg. Although we have not scheduled a meal at the Rose & Crown during our upcoming trip, I might just have to stop in at the pub for a scotch egg and a Cider & Black. ;)

Ok, now for the entrees...

All the usuals were here...Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Shepherd's Pie, and Welsh Pub Burger. Wait, back up...WELSH PUB BURGER?!?! :eek:

Where is the English Breakfast Burger with the Fried Egg??? :confused3 Now I could have settled for the Welsh Burger, but disappointment apparently brings out my stubborn streak. ;) I refused to order their new burger since it was missing the egg. So what did I order instead?... :scratchin

Yep, you guessed it...Fish & Chips. But I would have been okay with this except it was not as good as usual. :sad2: Just like my salmon at Artist Point, the center of my fish was undercooked. I picked around the outside and ate some of the fries before calling it quits. When my server noticed that most of my fish was uneaten, she asked me if there was something wrong. I told her the problem and she offered to bring me another but I politely declined. I figured that was the end of it, however when she brought me the bill I saw that I hadn't been charged for the fish & chips. This was an unexpected gesture, which I accepted and thanked her for.

Then when leaving the Rose & Crown I heard a familiar sound coming from the Rose Garden...

Though I enjoyed listening to the British Revolution, it again reminded me of how much I miss my favorite Epcot band, Off Kilter...

Every time I walked by the empty stage in Canada, or worse yet when the lumberjacks were sawing away where this great band had performed for so many years, it broke my heart. :sad:

Seeing British Revolution also reminded me of another great UK act that didn't survive the massive Epcot entertainment cuts and changes...

The World Showcase Players performing King Arthur & the Holy Grail

I have one word for the Disney execs who were responsible for these entertainment cuts... "RUBBISH" :headache:

But to end this review on a positive note, it warmed my heart to see this father dancing with his little girl to one of the songs played by the British Revolution...

It reminded me of the times that my husband danced with our daughters during a performance by British Invasion (the Beatles cover band which preceded this one at Epcot). Only I never once got him to wear Mickey ears. :earboy2:

Next up: Dinner at Citricos

Last edited:
What a shame the English Breakfast Burger is/was gone. I don't actually check the R&C menu much (we don't eat there that often as we have plenty of pubs at home so less of an event for us), but that was a winner.

Kind of insult to injury for you that the fish and chips weren't right either, grr.

Love your photos :)

Never been to Rose and Crown but have heard a lot about it especially the fish and chips. Maybe on my next trip I'll have to try it and see how it is.

Barb I just love your reviews! I have been absent from the Dis for a while (I was part of your live updates in Dec 2012) & after that trip sort of fell off the Dis wagon for a while. I stumbled upon this dining review & instantly recognized your name so I knew I had to follow along.

I love that Disney changes their menu up fairly often, but of course as long as the changes don't mess with my favorite dish ; ) Too bad your burger wasn't there anymore. Wonder if they would have served you the new burger with an egg on it? A burger and an egg is a wonderful combo. Speaking of egg, that scottish one looks delicious and right up my alley. Gonna have to try that one of these days. Glad you didn't have to pay for the poor fish.

Agree on the entertainment. RUBBISH to all.

Those Boardwalk Bakery goodies look delish. I wish I could have one of those multigrain croissants right now. So yummy! Too bad your fish&chips weren't as good as they look but it's nice they took it off the bill. :thumbsup2

Everything at Boardwalk Bakery looks delicious! I can't wait for my next trip there. It is such a bummer that Rose and Crown didn't go as you planned.

Hope you are enjoying your current trip! I am so so sorry I just saw your response and yes my number is the same :) hopefully we will catch you on a future trip! Wow the party for the senses looks soooo amazing!! I want to go at least once in my life to it!!

Interesting - I also ordered the Fish & Chips at Rose and Crown about a week ago while my husband and I were there for our honeymoon. My fish was so greasy I just could not eat it. :( I had been looking forward to it so much, too. My husband's banger & mash was good though.

Sorry for the temporary delay on my dining report. I am actually back in Disney World this week so have had to place this report on hold while I'm creating the reviews for the next one. I should be back next week though to finish up the few remaining reviews from my October trip report and then I can start on the new one. Thanks for your patience! :thumbsup2

Sorry for the temporary delay on my dining report. I am actually back in Disney World this week so have had to place this report on hold while I'm creating the reviews for the next one. I should be back next week though to finish up the few remaining reviews from my October trip report and then I can start on the new one. Thanks for your patience! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to it!

Barb, you're too much! Are you ever at home? I hope you're having a great time. As always, I look forward to your reviews!

The nice part of being away from the Dis for a bit is that I got to binge read all of your reviews! You're living the foodie's dream on this trip and it's been so cool to follow along. I hope you're having a fun vacation and looking forward to hearing all about it, too!

So tempted to try the Scotch egg, but I'm not a huge fan of sausage. It just looks so good!

Hope the trend of undercooked fish doesn't continue for you.:crazy2:

Here's wishing you and your family the best Disney trip ever!:genie: Can't wait to find out where the kids wanted to eat.

Hi Barb...
A huge thank you for the awesome and detailed reviews!
I have been sitting now for about 3 hours reading it and drooling over the photos... not to mention finishing off 3 cups of coffee :coffee: and a bowl of snacks!
I really enjoyed the different event reviews and I have to say how much I enjoyed Off Kilter :rockband: as well!!
Hope you are having a magical :smickey: trip and I am looking forward to indulging in more of your posts!!
Thanks again :thanks:

So sorry for the long delay with finishing up this report. Since I returned from my latest trip to WDW on May 22nd, I've had an extremely busy 10 days. My daughter (who's college graduation we were celebrating on this trip) had several phone interviews while we were at Disney World. She accepted an offer made to her on May 26th for a job which started today. The problem...it is 16 hours away, in Austin, Texas!! :eek: So needless to say my household has been scrambling this week. This in addition to hosting her family graduation party and trying to get caught up at the office after being gone for 10 days. But things have settled down for the most part today, so I will attempt to get my next review written and posted tonight. But first some replies to all of your lovely posts...

What a shame the English Breakfast Burger is/was gone. I don't actually check the R&C menu much (we don't eat there that often as we have plenty of pubs at home so less of an event for us), but that was a winner.

Kind of insult to injury for you that the fish and chips weren't right either, grr.

Love your photos :)

Yes, I checked the menu again when I was there about 10 days ago and still no English Breakfast burger. :sad2: I did manage to have a Scotch egg and a Cider & Black though so I was happy. :thumbsup2

Never been to Rose and Crown but have heard a lot about it especially the fish and chips. Maybe on my next trip I'll have to try it and see how it is.

I've always had pretty good luck with the R & C fish and chips. Hopefully this time was just a fluke. If you do go to the R & C, try the Scotch egg. It's really yummy!

Barb I just love your reviews! I have been absent from the Dis for a while (I was part of your live updates in Dec 2012) & after that trip sort of fell off the Dis wagon for a while. I stumbled upon this dining review & instantly recognized your name so I knew I had to follow along.

Hi Debra! :wave2: Great to hear from another former live reporter. Happy to have you along for the end of this report and hopefully you will join in on the next one too. :thumbsup2

I love that Disney changes their menu up fairly often, but of course as long as the changes don't mess with my favorite dish ; ) Too bad your burger wasn't there anymore. Wonder if they would have served you the new burger with an egg on it? A burger and an egg is a wonderful combo. Speaking of egg, that scottish one looks delicious and right up my alley. Gonna have to try that one of these days. Glad you didn't have to pay for the poor fish.

Agree on the entertainment. RUBBISH to all.

Yes, I agree. The frequent menu changes are kind of a double-edged sword. It's good that they do make changes but it's rough when it's your favorite dish (or in this case, something I was really wanting to try) that gets changed or cut from the menu. :sad:

Those Boardwalk Bakery goodies look delish. I wish I could have one of those multigrain croissants right now. So yummy! Too bad your fish&chips weren't as good as they look but it's nice they took it off the bill. :thumbsup2

I stopped by the Boardwalk Bakery twice on this latest trip. The first time I had a rather bad experience, but I returned a few days later and this time it was again good. But that story will have to wait for my next dining report. ;)

Everything at Boardwalk Bakery looks delicious! I can't wait for my next trip there. It is such a bummer that Rose and Crown didn't go as you planned.

I was able to visit the bakery twice and the Rose & Crown pub once during my recent trip. Two out of the three were great. :thumbsup2

Hope you are enjoying your current trip! I am so so sorry I just saw your response and yes my number is the same :) hopefully we will catch you on a future trip! Wow the party for the senses looks soooo amazing!! I want to go at least once in my life to it!!

Hi Lori! I see you have started your dining report. I need to get over there as soon as I do a little catching up on mine. Oh, and with my daughter now in Austin, I might just swing on down to San Antonio sometime! ;)

Interesting - I also ordered the Fish & Chips at Rose and Crown about a week ago while my husband and I were there for our honeymoon. My fish was so greasy I just could not eat it. :( I had been looking forward to it so much, too. My husband's banger & mash was good though.

I was hoping my experience was an isolated incident. Sad to hear that the fish & chips might not be the reliable, go-to dish that it used to be. :worried:

Barb, you're too much! Are you ever at home? I hope you're having a great time. As always, I look forward to your reviews!

Just got back about 10 days ago and already thinking about when I might be able to go again. :laughing:

I hope you're enjoying your trip! I'm patiently waiting to read all about it!

Except for the very hot temperature, it was a great trip! :thumbsup2 And thanks for your patience. :goodvibes

The nice part of being away from the Dis for a bit is that I got to binge read all of your reviews! You're living the foodie's dream on this trip and it's been so cool to follow along. I hope you're having a fun vacation and looking forward to hearing all about it, too!

This was my dream trip...two weeks at Disney World where I got to make all of the choices. This last trip was a different story. My three kids were in control. Still a great trip, but not quite as great as the last one. ;)

So tempted to try the Scotch egg, but I'm not a huge fan of sausage. It just looks so good!

Hope the trend of undercooked fish doesn't continue for you.:crazy2:

Here's wishing you and your family the best Disney trip ever!:genie: Can't wait to find out where the kids wanted to eat.

They made some interesting choices...most of them good, but some not so good. I did manage to get to a few of my favorites, but was outvoted by the kids on several others. So my next dining report will be a bit different than this one. ;)

Hi Barb...
A huge thank you for the awesome and detailed reviews!
I have been sitting now for about 3 hours reading it and drooling over the photos... not to mention finishing off 3 cups of coffee :coffee: and a bowl of snacks!
I really enjoyed the different event reviews and I have to say how much I enjoyed Off Kilter :rockband: as well!!
Hope you are having a magical :smickey: trip and I am looking forward to indulging in more of your posts!!
Thanks again :thanks:

You are quite welcome. :goodvibes I am glad that you are enjoying my reviews. I have a few more to write and post before this report is wrapped up and then it's on to the next one. I hope you will join me for that one too.

So sorry for the long delay with finishing up this report. Since I returned from my latest trip to WDW on May 22nd, I've had an extremely busy 10 days. My daughter (who's college graduation we were celebrating on this trip) had several phone interviews while we were at Disney World. She accepted an offer made to her on May 26th for a job which started today. The problem...it is 16 hours away, in Austin, Texas!! :eek: So needless to say my household has been scrambling this week. This in addition to hosting her family graduation party and trying to get caught up at the office after being gone for 10 days. But things have settled down for the most part today, so I will attempt to get my next review written and posted tonight. But first some replies to all of your lovely posts...

Congrats on your daughters job! She is going to LOVE Austin!

My daughter (who's college graduation we were celebrating on this trip) had several phone interviews while we were at Disney World. She accepted an offer made to her on May 26th for a job which started today. The problem...it is 16 hours away, in Austin, Texas!! :eek:
That was really great that your daughter was able to get a job right after graduating. It's too bad she moved so far away. Our two daughters moved out of state, too, so I know that isn't easy. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter