Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

Happy Anniversary! So glad to find this thread. We will be there for Labor Day weekend, our 14th Anniversary. We are taking the kids, but have a two bedroom... so, at least we'll have our own space.

Two questions:

Did you happen to notice which nights are Parent's Night Out/Kid's Night In? We are looking for a romantic evening sans kids. Any recommendations in the finer dining category?

Are they still doing the Low Country Boil? I think this was at the beach house. If so, do they run the shuttle later those nights, or do we need to plan to drive?

Looking forward to reading more!

That's the new Batman, Ben Affleck. If you didn't know he was the new Batman, you must have not been on the internet this year. There's a big fanboy outrage about it.

Anyway, the room looks great and you had a awesome room number (George Lucas reference).

Sorry to hear about Cracker Barrel. I never get to go there, because my wife hates it. Which means I can't show her your trip report. Reinforcing her opinion is never a good thing for me. ;)

I'll have to try Bully's if I ever get back down there. If you're ever in Baltimore, you should try Andy Nelson's BBQ. It's one of my favorite places to eat. The cornbread is like cake.

That might be the worst Cracker Barrel experience I've heard of - and to think you were so close to a Chik-fil-a too! Hope the extra shopping doesn't take too much time our of your first full HHI day.

That room looks lovely! So clean and fresh and not a bad view if I do say so myself (rogue hotel aside).

How you were able to resist the pool is beyond me - the two of you have some serious strength!

I was just near there on the drive to and from Williamsburg. Didn't stop at that particular one but CB is usually my go to travel stop since it usually is fast and easy.

I know it's not exactly fast food, but I was figuring an hour tops, and hoping for 45 minutes. But that included eating! :laughing: I really hate to bash them because I do enjoy stopping there on occasion, but this was just too much.

Sorry this was so bad. I mean what gives a couple eggs and sausage, bacon and toast. Unless they ran out of eggs and were afraid to tell you so they made you wait until you left. :lmao:

They could've sent somebody to the grocery store and back in that amount of time!

YAY for in and out quickly.

We'd had our rest, so were okay with just eating while driving!

Welcome to North and South Carolina raining one block sunny the next. :rotfl:

We lived in Wilmington for 3 years, but I don't remember it being quite like that!

And I know too. Thanks. :)

:thumbsup2

Not too shabby.

Mickey and Minnie, sittin' in a tree...

I guess that is a good thing. :scratchin

Good for crowd control, certainly. :rolleyes:

Sounds like your first night ended wonderfully even though the stop in Emporia was less than nice.

It did. It was so nice to be there, unloaded, and we could start to unwind. And even though we didn't have time to get groceries, I was glad that we at least arrived while it was still daylight for our intitial view of the Lodge and our suite.

Oh yes, I know. Trust me, we didn't move to MB for all that. We live two miles from the beach...but drive 20 minutes to go to a much quieter one. I'm sure we will hit the HHI resort for a mini-vacay someday.

That sounds like us when we lived in Wilmington, we always went to the quieter beaches.

Thanks for all the pictures. I hope you're not disappointed about being in Live Oak Lodge now-that's our most favorite 1 BR we've ever had. We requested it on the last two stays.

Now I realize that it was a great location, but at that point in the trip I was still not real happy with it. Live and learn!

So glad for a chapter already.

We had a quorum, time to roll!

Too bad about Cracker Barrel. We go to the one by us a couple times a year and have never had a problem. Of course we always go for dinner.

Yeah, I know what you mean -- we've never had a problem like that before either.

Nice room! I so want to own DVC some day. Got any extra points laying around that you want to transfer to me? :idea:

Ha, I wish! We had to dip slightly into next year's points for this trip. And then next year we'll dip significantly into 2016's points to go to WDW for a week+, and I'm toying with a couple nights at HHI on the way back. :scratchin We'll have to take 2016 off to let 'em build back up.

We love Bully's! My DH makes sure we order from there every trip!

I can see why! We don't have any good BBQ places around us, so this was a real treat. It was perfect for arrival night.

Happy Anniversary! So glad to find this thread.

Thank you adrianna_sarah, and :welcome:

We will be there for Labor Day weekend, our 14th Anniversary. We are taking the kids, but have a two bedroom... so, at least we'll have our own space.

That'll be plenty of room. :thumbsup2

Two questions:

Did you happen to notice which nights are Parent's Night Out/Kid's Night In? We are looking for a romantic evening sans kids. Any recommendations in the finer dining category?

Yikes, I don't know what nights they do that. Sorry about that. But on the second part of that question, yes, I do have a recommendation -- a place called "Vine" in the Coligny Plaza Shopping Center. I'll have a chapter coming up about it, but it was incredible. You need to call early to make a reservation, like 2 months in advance, so I'd call them now.

Are they still doing the Low Country Boil? I think this was at the beach house. If so, do they run the shuttle later those nights, or do we need to plan to drive?

In the summertime they do the Pirate Party (buffet and games at the resort pool) instead of the Low Country Boil. I understand that they do the Boil in the spring and fall. I'm not sure when they switch over, but I'm sure you could call the Front Desk and ask that question as well as your question on the Parents Night Out.

Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks.

That's the new Batman, Ben Affleck. If you didn't know he was the new Batman, you must have not been on the internet this year. There's a big fanboy outrage about it.

I was waiting for Comic-con to end to get on the internet and get caught up in the last year's news. ;) No, I'd heard that he was going to be the new Batman and that everybody and their cause-playing (the DIS doesn't like the regular spelling of that word for some reason) uncle was up in arms about it, but I just have trouble distinguishing my various Batman's from one another. I'm still shaking my head that Michael Keaton was a Batman.

Anyway, the room looks great and you had a awesome room number (George Lucas reference).

Figuring that 1138 was too high to be George's net worth (in Billions), even for him....I'm embarrassed to say that I had to look this one up. I feel like a total failure. At least I know what "Order 66" is.

Sorry to hear about Cracker Barrel. I never get to go there, because my wife hates it. Which means I can't show her your trip report. Reinforcing her opinion is never a good thing for me. ;)

:rotfl2: I know what you mean. Don't give 'em any more ammo than they already have!

I'll have to try Bully's if I ever get back down there. If you're ever in Baltimore, you should try Andy Nelson's BBQ. It's one of my favorite places to eat. The cornbread is like cake.

Mmmm cake. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

I'm here too. :goodvibes

Hey Jenny! Good to have you aboard! :welcome:

That might be the worst Cracker Barrel experience I've heard of - and to think you were so close to a Chik-fil-a too!

Well, according to Reddog's wife (he just commented above), it sounds like it might've been worse if we'd actually been served. :rotfl2:

Hope the extra shopping doesn't take too much time our of your first full HHI day.

Not too bad. I figured that getting shopping done that night would've been a best-case scenario so I wasn't too disappointed.

That room looks lovely! So clean and fresh and not a bad view if I do say so myself (rogue hotel aside).

I'm not sure what they were like before the renovation, but the pictures don't lie -- it seemed clean and fresh to us too. (That hotel was very rogue-ish.)

How you were able to resist the pool is beyond me - the two of you have some serious strength!

The fact that we'd driven :drive: all day probably had something to do with it. :laughing:

Awww....the puppy wanted to go with you.

You have a LOT more patience that I do, Glenn. I would have walked out long before an hour...especially after seeing other people being served who were seated later. But then again, I wouldn't have stopped at Cracker Barrell to begin with because I'm not a fan of the food. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That is a beautiful one bedroom. I really like the decor and it looks very spacious. A jacuzzi tub always helps to make the room even more special.

Dinner looks very yummy.

I can't believe the lack of service at Cracker Barrel! That is crazy...I can't believe you waited a full hour for some eggs and bacon.

The resort looks fantastic...love the 1BR! Wish I could bring myself to splurge for one....They really should put the jetted tubs in the studios. ;)

Jill in CO

Yes, I remember all the potential conflicts leading up to your trip. It was definitely the year of Frozen.

WOW, that is unreal at Cracker Barrel. An hour??? That's INSANE!!! By any chance did you notice any chickens or pigs running around in the back that employees were tying to catch? Only explanation I can come up with.

Love the look of the suite, but I have to admit... the Mickey Towel is my favourite.

:rotfl: Dirty Rat carving. Just no respect at all that mouse.

Awwww, Anniversary Buttons. Love it!

We just returned Sat night from our 2nd summer at DHHIR. We also stayed in a 1 BR in the main lodge. We have fallen in love with HHI and I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

We had the BBQ for 4 from Bullie's and WOW- yum! :love:

Plus, I'm a little farther north than you. And you probably have a lead foot. :laughing:

:lmao: Who ME? :lmao:

I was the first driver last year. I got to the NC welcome center by 11am. I think we left at 7am :confused3 So, yeah, I made good time.

Do you guys go down 95? I take 301 across the bay bridge and straight down to 95 just north of Richmond. Not quite as direct, but it avoids the DC traffic and its pretty scenic.

Sorry to hear that the couch cushions, despite looking different, are still trying to throw people on the floor. Ugh - that was SO annoying!

I forgot to mention that your dinner looks super yummy!

They could've sent somebody to the grocery store and back in that amount of time!

:lmao: Absolutely. Even with the manager knowing the situation he should have been bringing you the plates himself and comped them.

We lived in Wilmington for 3 years, but I don't remember it being quite like that!

Using the weatherbug app I have watched a storm be a block over or worse yet split right around the house. Crazy I tell ya.

I love when people call the center to ask at 4pm if the 7pm class is cancelled. :rotfl:

I always say we won't know until 7pm and even then if it raining at your house it might not be raining at the center much less thunder and lightning. :rotfl2:

Sorry to hear about your experience with Cracker Barrel. They really can be a hit-or-miss anywhere tbh I haven't had THAT bad an experience, but it happens.

YAY for arriving at HHI! Your suite looks gorgeous! Disney did a really nice job with those renovations. It reminds me somewhat of CSR actually. The Mickey & Minnie carving is such a nice touch, love that! :thumbsup2 to the Mickey towel and the Anniversary pins!

Mmm, that pulled pork and beef brisket looks GOOD! Glad to hear you had that to make up for not getting any food at Cracker Barrel. :)

Can't wait to read more! :mickeyjum

YAAAY! I'm here. I can't read until later but I stopped by to say I'm here. :cool1:

Awww....the puppy wanted to go with you.

He did! He saw stuff making its way out to the car and he was like, "hey, you're not going anywhere without me!"

You have a LOT more patience that I do, Glenn. I would have walked out long before an hour...especially after seeing other people being served who were seated later. But then again, I wouldn't have stopped at Cracker Barrell to begin with because I'm not a fan of the food. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

We kept going back and forth questioning whether we were being unreasonable or what. Okay, one table seated after us who gets their stuff, that happens. But then another, and another? No, somebody screwed up and our order didn't get in the system right. Then, the manager had a chance to rectify that, and didn't. It'll be a while before we go back. Especially with Judy, 'cause she holds a grudges on stuff like that! :laughing:

That is a beautiful one bedroom. I really like the decor and it looks very spacious. A jacuzzi tub always helps to make the room even more special.

We were very happy with the suite! High-style and spacious for just little ol' us.

Dinner looks very yummy.

So good. Did I mention in the post how good the cole slaw was? I mean the meat was great, but the sides were too and in particular, the cole slaw. Mmmm.

I can't believe the lack of service at Cracker Barrel! That is crazy...I can't believe you waited a full hour for some eggs and bacon.

That was how long 'til we gave up! Who knows how long it would've actually taken. :rotfl2: But in fairness, I'd say it was around 45 minutes after we put in our order. The rest of the time was waiting for a table, looking at the menu, etc. etc.

The resort looks fantastic...love the 1BR! Wish I could bring myself to splurge for one....They really should put the jetted tubs in the studios. ;)

I've never had a studio! With 5 of us (usually), the 1BR is required, not a splurge. (So I have that goin' for me.) But on this trip with just the 2 of us, the extra space didn't kinda feel like a splurge. Although we used the kitchen and the washer/dryer, so I can't say that it was just extravagance.

Yes, I remember all the potential conflicts leading up to your trip. It was definitely the year of Frozen.

I didn't go into it, but even after the thaw came and it seemed like we were in the clear, we had some more issues (I'm trying to remember, a windstorm maybe or flash floods?) and other schools missed a day of school. Fortunately, we didn't. I might've ended up offering 2 or 3 days at HHI to DISers.

WOW, that is unreal at Cracker Barrel. An hour??? That's INSANE!!! By any chance did you notice any chickens or pigs running around in the back that employees were tying to catch? Only explanation I can come up with.

I could say something about the manager running around like a chicken with its head cut off, but actually that would've been better. Would've shown more gumption. Other than talking to us at our table, it didn't seem that he did much to resolve our lack of service.

Love the look of the suite, but I have to admit... the Mickey Towel is my favourite.

Hey, you spelled "favorite" wrong. ;)

:rotfl: Dirty Rat carving. Just no respect at all that mouse.

Minnie made him do it.

Awwww, Anniversary Buttons. Love it!

:thumbsup2

We just returned Sat night from our 2nd summer at DHHIR. We also stayed in a 1 BR in the main lodge. We have fallen in love with HHI and I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

:welcome ProudMommy! We loved it too. I'm starting to noodle on working it into next year's WDW visit. :scratchin Maybe drive, and hit HHI for a couple of days.

We had the BBQ for 4 from Bullie's and WOW- yum! :love:

Absolutely. Good stuff!

107.gif

I was the first driver last year. I got to the NC welcome center by 11am. I think we left at 7am :confused3 So, yeah, I made good time.

That's pretty good! But Emporia isn't too far north of the NC line, so we were probably right around your timing.

Do you guys go down 95? I take 301 across the bay bridge and straight down to 95 just north of Richmond. Not quite as direct, but it avoids the DC traffic and its pretty scenic.

We've done both; I know the way you mean. In fact, on the drive back we went that way, past Fort A.P. Hill and all, but got back on the beltway on the east side of DC rather than going across the bay bridge. On the drive down we just stayed on 95.

Sorry to hear that the couch cushions, despite looking different, are still trying to throw people on the floor. Ugh - that was SO annoying!

It was annoying! Kept having to readjust them.

I forgot to mention that your dinner looks super yummy!

We liked it!

Even with the manager knowing the situation he should have been bringing you the plates himself and comped them.

I was pretty disappointed in that. He seemed like he was going to do something about it, like find our food, expedite our order through the kitchen, something, but apparently not.

Using the weatherbug app I have watched a storm be a block over or worse yet split right around the house. Crazy I tell ya.

I love when people call the center to ask at 4pm if the 7pm class is cancelled. :rotfl:

I always say we won't know until 7pm and even then if it raining at your house it might not be raining at the center much less thunder and lightning. :rotfl2:

What's a lifeguard to do? Keep your eye on the sky.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Cracker Barrel. They really can be a hit-or-miss anywhere tbh I haven't had THAT bad an experience, but it happens.

Yeah, I think that was pretty out of the norm. But it will probably be a while before we give them another chance to redeem themselves.

YAY for arriving at HHI! Your suite looks gorgeous! Disney did a really nice job with those renovations. It reminds me somewhat of CSR actually. The Mickey & Minnie carving is such a nice touch, love that! :thumbsup2 to the Mickey towel and the Anniversary pins!

We really liked the suite too. Nice furnishings and clean. Nothing to call Maintenance about, which I've had to do for a couple of other DVC suites. I guess the colors are similar to CSR, but I didn't really get the same vibe. Maybe the woods are darker at CSR?

Mmm, that pulled pork and beef brisket looks GOOD! Glad to hear you had that to make up for not getting any food at Cracker Barrel. :)

You're right on the nose...it was easy to justify getting take-out for dinner after we whiffed on Cracker Barrel at lunchtime.

Can't wait to read more! :mickeyjum

Thanks Timmy.

YAAAY! I'm here. I can't read until later but I stopped by to say I'm here. :cool1:

Sam! :welcome: It's good to see you. Thanks for stopping by and subbing.

I am here and all caught up!

UGH on the Cracker Barrel, that's horrible and a lost hour with such a long drive...double UGH! Bummer that the wine wasn't right, it would have been nice after that kind of drive but I am glad that the BBQ worked out so well and was tasty.

They did a really nice job on the remodel! I will likely never make it there so it is nice to see. I love that they have rocking chairs!

You have arrived, you are on vacation and with NO KIDS!

All really good things.

I am here and all caught up!

:welcome: Cynthia! Thanks for reading.

UGH on the Cracker Barrel, that's horrible and a lost hour with such a long drive...double UGH!

Wouldn't you figure, the one time that you're really debating whether to even stop there and you lose an hour and still no food...:headache:

Bummer that the wine wasn't right, it would have been nice after that kind of drive but I am glad that the BBQ worked out so well and was tasty.

We'll have a bottle of wine in a day or two (trip-time-wise) that I know you'll approve. ::yes::

They did a really nice job on the remodel! I will likely never make it there so it is nice to see. I love that they have rocking chairs!

You have arrived, you are on vacation and with NO KIDS!

All really good things.

'Course we never saw it before the remodel, but we sure did like how it is now! Very, very nice.

Yes, that was kind of what was going through our minds that evening. Letting it sink in...we're on vacation...with no kids...we're on vacation!...with no kids!
1sm184runhappy.gif
zrunningamok.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter