• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

La Hacienda or San Angel Inn?

Moonwolf

Mouseketeer
Hi! So one of my traveling companions wants to try one of the TS restaurants in Mexico. I searched for past threads comparing La Hacienda or San Angel Inn but the last thread was 3 years ago so I want to know has anything changed to put one above the other?

Our group currently consists of me(26) my DB(19) and my friend(27). Also possibly coming are two of my cousins(18 & 19). No one has any serious allergies.

Also my friend are I are not big drinkers but I may be tempted to try a margarita since I've heard a lot about them. Any recommendations? I do prefer sweeter drinks personally.

Thanks for any help!

We greatly prefer San Angel, both in terms of food and atmosphere...it's just a really cool place. The food used to be a bit "meh" but the last few years they have really turned it around. As for a margarita, I recommend the avocado, especially if you like sweeter drinks...it's fabulous!

We prefer the San Angel, too. But the last time we went, the check in process was a nightmare. We waited for 40 mins, and we had an ADR... Because we waited so long they promised us a table on the water, and then stuffed us in a back room and we couldn't even see the water.

I have been to both, and to tell you the truth, Both of these places are not that great.

Food is mediocre at best at both of them. I'd give slight edge to San Angel Inn, because of the atmosphere, but otherwise they are both average-. If you want mexican food, I don't know what to recommend, but I'd say San Angel Inn is the best choice. Whatever you do, don't go to Catina de San Angel CS, horrible food.

San Angel Inn would likely be better for kids as well.

Mexico is one of these pavilions with average food.

Just to let you know, I have eaten at all the TS restaurants in the world showcase, and here is how I would rate the food in each restaurant on a scale of 1-10.

1=horrible 10=outstanding (remember this is for food quality only not experience)

Le Cellier Steakhouse=8.5
Rose & Crown Pub=7
Les Chefs de France=5.5
Monsieur Paul=6.5
Restaurant Marrakesh=7.5
Spice Road Table=5
Teppan Edo=7.5
Tokyo Dining=6.5
Tutto Italia=9.5
Via Napoli=9
Biergarten=8.5
Nine Dragons=3.5
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall=6
San Angel Inn=6
La Hacienda de San Angel=5.5

Trust me I have been to all of these countries in real except China. I know what real food from these countries is.

We finally tried San Angel in May for lunch (walk-up) and were pleasantly surprised after all I had read about it. The food was good, pretty authentic, and service was very good. The atmosphere, of course, was lovely near the water/boat ride.

We are trying La Hacienda this March and are looking forward to it. We made the reservation for 7:45 in the hopes of seeing Illuminations from our table. If we have a good table, we'll linger over dessert to watch. If we think we won't be able to see it, we'll skip dessert and go outside to watch.

I have been to both, and to tell you the truth, Both of these places are not that great.

Food is mediocre at best at both of them. I'd give slight edge to San Angel Inn, because of the atmosphere, but otherwise they are both average-. If you want mexican food, I don't know what to recommend, but I'd say San Angel Inn is the best choice. Whatever you do, don't go to Catina de San Angel CS, horrible food.

Just to let you know, I have eaten at all the TS restaurants in the world showcase, and here is how I would rate the food in each restaurant on a scale of 1-10.

1=horrible 10=outstanding (remember this is for food quality only not experience)

Rose & Crown Pub=7
Les Chefs de France=5.5
Monsieur Paul=6.5
Restaurant Marrakesh=7.5
Spice Road Table=5
Teppan Edo=7.5
Tokyo Dining=6.5
Tutto Italia=9.5
Via Napoli=9
Biergarten=8.5
Nine Dragons=3.5
San Angel Inn=6

Trust me I have been to all of these countries in real except China. I know what real food from these countries is.
I think it depends on what you want out of food at Disney. I can eat authentic restaurants where I live any time I want to. So for my family, the atmosphere is what sets a Disney restaurant apart. Some of our favorite places to eat have less to do with the food, and more to do with the Disney experience. Which is why we usually like San Angel.

One of our must do's, San Angel is special to us because it has delicious food combined with a wonderful, unique atmosphere with a fun ride too!

Wherever you go, sure hope you have a magical time!

:goodvibes

Rose & Crown Pub=7
Les Chefs de France=5.5
Monsieur Paul=6.5
Restaurant Marrakesh=7.5
Spice Road Table=5
Teppan Edo=7.5
Tokyo Dining=6.5
Tutto Italia=9.5
Via Napoli=9
Biergarten=8.5
Nine Dragons=3.5
San Angel Inn=6

Danny K I have to react. This is your opinion, not necessarily fact. We all have different likes and dislikes. I don't agree with all of your ratings and in particular I object to your presentation that this is fact.

OP, we like both but I think we prefer La Hacienda for food choice.
Have Fun

Danny K I have to react. This is your opinion, not necessarily fact. We all have different likes and dislikes. I don't agree with all of your ratings and in particular I object to your presentation that this is fact. OP, we like both but I think we prefer La Hacienda for food choice. Have Fun

This! I was very underwhelmed with Le Cellier and HATED Rose & Crown! It's definitely subjective and a matter of opinion.

We ate at both on our most recent trip and I'd definitely vote for San Angel. In fact, La Hacienda was the only disappointing restaurant on our trip.

Last 2 times we did San Angel Inn the food was noticeably worse than in past. They advertise a NY Strip , more like a chuck steak pounded with a meat tenderizer and the masked with spice, not good at all. I get the impression they are cutting costs. Haven't tried Hacienda yet , will wait until they start taking TIW Card, would think they would soon since it's probably the easiest reservation to get at WDW. The place does look like a nice quiet place though

Loved the food and ambiance at San Angel. :goodvibes And we have had awesome, patient servers who took the time to answer questions about the meals we were ordering. We've been there twice and had excellent experiences both times.

San Angel Inn by far.The authintic mexican dinner is awesome and very filling.The inside of the retraunt is really cool as well.Afterwards you can go on the boat ride too.Its fun sitting next to the water and watching other boat rides go by while you eat.We love this place.Dont let other people discourage you about the food,its awesome

Rose & Crown Pub=7
Les Chefs de France=5.5
Monsieur Paul=6.5
Restaurant Marrakesh=7.5
Spice Road Table=5
Teppan Edo=7.5
Tokyo Dining=6.5
Tutto Italia=9.5
Via Napoli=9
Biergarten=8.5
Nine Dragons=3.5
San Angel Inn=6

Just had to chime in with the same sentiment as a few others. Your observations are based off of opinion and not fact or truth. To show how opinions can be so different, you rate LeCellier and Via Napoli among your highest, whereas I rate LeCellier as among one of my lowest in all of WDW and Via Napoli as average. I also rate Monsieur Paul, San Angel Inn and Tokyo Dining much higher than your ratings. However, we agree 100% on Tutto Italia. It's all opinion and none are right or wrong.

To the OP. In my "opinion" I would choose San Angel Inn. I personally love the atmosphere of the restaurant and it's theming. I found the service to be good, not great, but good and I was very surprised with the food when we went for the first time this past June. I put off this place for 5 years because of negative reviews and finally decided to try it for myself. We enjoyed it and will be back once again this upcoming trip in June. :goodvibes

I've never done La Hacienda primarily because they don't take the Tables in Wonderland card. We did San Angel last trip for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised by the food. I had low expectations based on the reviews but I found it better than most mexican restaurants. If you're looking for a drink the Avocado margarita is hands down the best I've ever had. And of course you can't beat the ambiance of the restaurant.

Danny K I have to react. This is your opinion, not necessarily fact. We all have different likes and dislikes. I don't agree with all of your ratings and in particular I object to your presentation that this is fact.

OP, we like both but I think we prefer La Hacienda for food choice.
Have Fun

Yeah, he lost me on Marrakesh. If that's authentic Moroccan food, then I guess no one travels to Morocco for the food. It was horribly dry and flavorless. The people there were amazingly friendly, but the food was awful.

Yeah, he lost me on Marrakesh. If that's authentic Moroccan food, then I guess no one travels to Morocco for the food. It was horribly dry and flavorless. The people there were amazingly friendly, but the food was awful.

I have to agree. We have traveled to most of these countries.....the real ones. We haven't eaten at all the ws restaurants. while we have had great meals in Epcot the food is very Americanized. That's not a bad thing necessarily and we really enjoy a lot of the places. San angel is one of those places we really like. Great atmosphere, good meal, good drinks, a great disney ish experience.

Trying San Angel this trip, we have almost eaten in every restaurant in the WS. I agree with many posters that restaurant reviews are very subjective. We have never had a really horrible meal, but some we have enjoyed more than others. We did not really enjoy Marrakesh, the food had no flavor. The restaurant was beautiful and we enjoyed the entertainment. I say go and decide for yourself.

We finally tried San Angel in May for lunch (walk-up) and were pleasantly surprised after all I had read about it. The food was good, pretty authentic, and service was very good. The atmosphere, of course, was lovely near the water/boat ride.

We are trying La Hacienda this March and are looking forward to it. We made the reservation for 7:45 in the hopes of seeing Illuminations from our table. If we have a good table, we'll linger over dessert to watch. If we think we won't be able to see it, we'll skip dessert and go outside to watch.

This is exactly what we are doing next month...I have an Hacienda ADR for Feb 6th at 7:45.....Hoping for a window table...If so may order an extra Margarita and dessert.....If not we will finish up and step outside...Great minds think alike!! LOL:goodvibes

I think it depends on what you want out of food at Disney. I can eat authentic restaurants where I live any time I want to. So for my family, the atmosphere is what sets a Disney restaurant apart. Some of our favorite places to eat have less to do with the food, and more to do with the Disney experience. Which is why we usually like San Angel.

I agree with sukhakuli. I live outside Boston, and can get food of any nationality - authentically done - easily (and for lower cost, and with parking right outside). I don't dine at Disney looking for ethnic authenticity - or even highest quality food. I want a unique experience. (Obvious example is Sci-Fi Cafe: you can get a cheeseburger anywhere. But where except WDW can you dine in a car watching old movies?! Thus I love Sci-Fi Cafe, even though I can get better food at home.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter