last minute NYE...I know, I know...which park, which day?

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
OK I am being totally abnormal here, and this is something we just DO NOT do as we are DVC and usually plan months in advance. But I am in the process of booking a trip from 12/30-1/2. Poly standard view studio (DVC). As soon as it is verified I will book tickets and airfare. Just me and DH; our kids are grown.
I was there almost the same dates in 2003-04 so I know the crowds are insane. My priority for the most part is the Christmas decorations, which are different since then--the studios and MK are my top 2, and Epcot.
I am getting a 3 day base ticket. We will get to MCO before 930.
My question is this--for DHS, is NYE or Jan. 1 a better choice? Of course I'll be on the first bus because I'd like to try to get to ride RoR, but if I miss out on that I am going to try to wait for Smuggler's Run and/or Slinky Dog, which I haven't ridden yet either. I will work around this. If it is NYE I will probably do Epcot on day 1 (no real priority rides, but would like to see the decorations and check out festival of the holidays) and MK on Jan. 1.

I do love a spur of the moment event... whatever park you pick, I bet you will enjoy the atmosphere and ringing in the new year @ Disney.

And yes, I too plan 11 months out, so I totally get it.

If I was doing it, I would do MK on 12/30(assuming you get in early enough) to see their new years fireworks that night and avoid MK on 12/31. Christmas at Epcot ends earlier than the other parks. The decorations are up, but the festival of the holidays is over. If that is important, go to Epcot on 12/30. If the festival is not important, do Epcot on 12/31. Whatever you do, stay away from MK on 12/31. Do DHS on 1/1 or whenever you can fit it in because it will be insane during that time period anyway, I wouldn't try to plan around it.

Surprised to hear poly still has availability for those dates! I’ve read in a few places that New Year’s Day morning is relatively quiet (but that it’s insane by the afternoon) so perhaps make that the goal for DHS?

We are going 12/29-1/5. We are doing Epcot 12/30 to catch the last day of the festival. We are not big firework people, so we are doing breakfast at GF and to check out the decorations and then spending the rest of the day at Disney Springs until our dinner ressie on 12/31. We will RD MK 1/1 in hopes that everyone is slow to get moving that morning.

Hmmm ... RotR and the NYE fireworks do not mesh. It’s very difficult to get up at 5:00 am after you went to bed at 1:00 am. Unfortunately I think you may be awakened by the MK fireworks on both the 30th and the 31st.

I would go to the MK on 12/30, Epcot on 12/31 but come home before the NYE fireworks, and DHS at the crack of dawn on 1/1.

Surprised to hear poly still has availability for those dates! I’ve read in a few places that New Year’s Day morning is relatively quiet (but that it’s insane by the afternoon) so perhaps make that the goal for DHS?
We will be renting a DVC reservation. Other than that, the only place I can get in is Yacht Club for $3000! And that's a regular room!

I would (and am!) do MK 12/30 and Epcot 12/31. Try for RotR on 1/1 since many people are getting caught up from a late night. This doesn't work if you need to see the festival, though.

If you absolutely must ride RotR, I think I would try for it on 12/31 so you have a day of backup on 1/1 if it doesn't work out.

I don't know how to quote just the one portion of your post, BUT I saw where it seemed as though you were taking a bus from Poly to DHS. My understanding is the bus may not get you there in time for a boarding pass or at least an early one. Hopefully, someone can confirm this, but my understanding is that Uber or Lyft is necessary for a super early morning!

We will be renting a DVC reservation. Other than that, the only place I can get in is Yacht Club for $3000! And that's a regular room!
That’s what I mean, DVC availability has been low for months for nye week. I’ve been checking :rotfl:

Hmmm ... RotR and the NYE fireworks do not mesh. It’s very difficult to get up at 5:00 am after you went to bed at 1:00 am. Unfortunately I think you may be awakened by the MK fireworks on both the 30th and the 31st.

I would go to the MK on 12/30, Epcot on 12/31 but come home before the NYE fireworks, and DHS at the crack of dawn on 1/1.
This is what I'd do too to fit in everything you mentioned you want to do.
(Although, if you do decide to rope drop MK on 1/1, we found that to be a great time in 2019...seemed people slept in a bit).

That’s what I mean, DVC availability has been low for months for nye week. I’ve been checking :rotfl:
This is an existing reservation for rent on a DVC broker site.
However, it's looking grim right now; the DVC owner who was renting out the points has not responded to the broker's messages in almost 3 days of trying. The broker is not optimistic. Guess she'd rather lose her points than get my $ for the rental . Meanwhile airfare is getting more expensive with fewer available flights (talking $500 more than Wednesday when I put the deposit down) If this doesn't come together by end of day, it's not going to happen. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter