• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last week of March--getting scared of Spring Break crowds

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
Anyone know if the final week of March is likely to be as crowded as I've read this past week has been? We usually go in Nov/Dec. Last year I went the last weekend of April and it was lovely, but that was clearly post-Easter crowds, etc. We are veterans and will be fine but I am bringing by elderly parents--their first trip since the summer Epcot opened--and I don't know how they will handle it if it's wall to wall. I looked around a bit and it seems that the last week in March is not the most popular week for spring break for most schools; most go the week before in March or in April. Should I just brace myself and expect the worst?

The area where I live is out for spring break next week, so I would say the crowds from this past week will continue? :rolleyes1 When we visited on Spring break in 2015 it wasn't bad at all, but that was four years ago and crowds at Disney have changed quite a bit. I would just say prepare for the worse, book those FPs, plan a table service meal to get out of the crowds, and return to the resort to relax if it gets too bad. GOOD LUCK! :hug:

We're going that week, as well (Wed-Sun)- I've been thinking the same thing and having pangs of regret about choosing spring break season. However, I also did a bit of digging before selecting that week- scoping out random school districts across the US- and like you said, I don't think it's going to be one of the heaviest weeks of the season. Yes, it will be very crowded, no doubt, but on the bright side, the weather (fingers crossed) should be great, MK has extended hours, EPCOT is looking beautiful for Flower & Garden, and hopefully the parks are geared-up and ready for the crowds (as opposed to getting caught off-guard during an unexpected "slow season" rush, which seems to happen these days. . ).

I'm sure if you go in prepared, you and your parents will have a great time :-).

I could have written this post - attending the last week of March with my family and elderly parents. I've seen polls and random posts which all point to this week being really busy (maybe second only to Easter week). I've warned my family and parents and hopefully it won't be as busy as I'm expecting. I figure if we all go into it expecting the worst, we won't be disappointed. We are also planning to hit the parks early and late with a nice break mid-day. My only concern at this point is how my parents will hold up to the walking and I'm worried about them getting jostled (both have had knee and hip surgeries).

It will be fine. If you want to avoid crowds as much as possible rope drop the park. The afternoons will probably be bonkers but morning and evening will be ok.

Schools in our area are always off the last week of March.

Expect it to be very crowded and be pleasantly surprised if it’s not as crazy as you expected.

We are also going to be there last week of March. We’re from West Virginia and our kids spring breK is that week. Spring break differs county by county here and ours is the only one that week in this part of the state.

Fingers crossed it’s not too crazy.

I’m here now. I’ve never been during spring break and I will never go this time ever again. It’s more crowded than I have ever seen it in 12 trips (all different times of the year). With that said, I’ve still been able to do everything I’ve wanted by rope dropping and refreshing for same day FPs. I did also have HS EMM at TSL, which helped a LOT and FPs for all the headliners like FoP. Go with a good plan and I think you’ll be fine. I could probably have done more, but I’m with a friend who’s not as big of a Disney fan as I am so i’ve been going a lot slower pace than I usually do. Good luck!!

I used touring plans today to schedule our Spring Break next week. I was really nervous about crowds, but I think the longest wait time it had on it was 27 minutes. And I realize it is fallible, but I’m anxious to see how close it is
My experience they are great and will predict every wait time very well but when it comes to rides that sometimes have staggering wait times they can be (understandably) off.

Case in point - last Easter Sunday we went to EMH at HS and set our plan to start about 10min into EMH (we like to walk right into the park when EMH starts but don't wait in line); touring plans predicted TSMM to have a short wait (can't remember exactly but somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes).

The ACTUAL wait time when we got there was - wait for it - 90 MINUTES!!!!! Yes, at the start of EMH. Luckily we had a FP+ later in the day =) But I guess that was an exception that can be tough to predict.

So yeah they can be a little off. But honestly hate to focus on the bad because for all the other rides they were practically spot on and made touring so easy! As long as you use FP+ on the ones you really want to ride that tend to have the extra long waits you will find touring plans great =)

I visited Disney World during the last week of March last year and the crowds were no problem in the morning. By mid afternoon it got to be somewhat annoying. Of course, that was the week before Easter, too.

We're locals and have been every day this week as our son is home from Spring Break. I don't think it's been that bad at all. In fact, we have been shocked by how many available ADRs at prime meal times we have seen for VERY popular restaurants and by the ease of getting last minute FPs. We have actually been wondering why the crowds seem so low compared to a typical Spring Break crowd.

I could have written this post - attending the last week of March with my family and elderly parents. I've seen polls and random posts which all point to this week being really busy (maybe second only to Easter week). I've warned my family and parents and hopefully it won't be as busy as I'm expecting. I figure if we all go into it expecting the worst, we won't be disappointed. We are also planning to hit the parks early and late with a nice break mid-day. My only concern at this point is how my parents will hold up to the walking and I'm worried about them getting jostled (both have had knee and hip surgeries).

We are also in a similar situation. Attending same week with parents (mine are only late 50s, but my mom had knee surgery and will be using a scooter).

Our expectation is that it's going to be insanely crowded with longer lines than we have ever experienced. We have FPs and plan to do several morning EMHs for rides. Other than that, if we don't ride much of anything it will be fine. Kids are 20, 15, 13 so if they really want to wait in lines, they are welcome to go off on their own and do that.

The focus of this trip is to relax and enjoy the resorts, restaurants, lounges, etc.

My only concern is navigating the crowds without feeling claustrophobic and overwhelmed. During our last trip we got caught around parade/firework time in MK for over an hour in one spot. Eventually they opened up the exit behind the ice cream parlor but people still couldn't move. We just sat at our table and waited for everyone to clear out. I'm fully expecting some times like that this trip as well.

My only concern is navigating the crowds without feeling claustrophobic and overwhelmed. During our last trip we got caught around parade/firework time in MK for over an hour in one spot. Eventually they opened up the exit behind the ice cream parlor but people still couldn't move. We just sat at our table and waited for everyone to clear out. I'm fully expecting some times like that this trip as well.
We had a similar experience at Disneyland a couple of years ago at Christmas time. The hub was so packed after firewords, people couldn't move. I'm sort of hoping they won't want to do the fireworks (past their bedtime LOL!). If they do, waiting out the crowd somewhere where they could sit comfortably would be preferable to fighting the crowd.

Same boat, with the exception of it being the ONLY week we could possible come this year due to scheduling. So, at the end of the day, it is what it is. We could either face the crowds or not go, and a busy day at Disney is better than nothing!

We are planning for the worst but hoping its better than that. We have FP for most of the big stuff other than SDD (we booked at under 60 days and haven't been able to score one, yet). We RD the parks. If things get crazy, we will leave in the afternoon and come back in the evening.

We have been to WDW several times, so I don't think we feel the pressure some newbies do. We have done everything before and we know what rides aren't our faves and know to skip them if we need the time to do something else.

That being said, my school district is the only one in the area with the last week of March off. On the Spring Break poll on here, it was the highest voted week, but only by a few votes. There were other weeks (either two or three of them) with nearly the same total votes. So, while it may be the worst week (or close to it) this season, I'm hoping that the other popular weeks at least drew away some of the potential spring breakers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter