Le Cellier - is the food really Canadian?

Dear Canada,

I am sorry, but if that's your steak you should hang your head in shame. There's a joint near me that does a $16 Steak Special.... it's dramatically better than LeCellier!

If comparing to somewhere local is the measuring stick for meals at Disney, they all pale in comparison to what I can get by driving an hour or less from my house. The steaks from anywhere, the "best pizza ever" at VN, the seafood at anywhere, etc...all are drastically behind in both taste and value from what I can get locally.

I can't speak about authenticity or the steaks, but we had a late lunch there and really enjoyed our food. Everything we tried was new to us (beer cheese soup, poutine and a salad of some sort) but it all tasted very good.

I have a question about Canadian beef.... Does anyone know if it is grass fed, corn fed, or grain fed? I am curious because I prefer the flavor and texture of grass fed beef.

I enjoy Le Cellier but I don't order steak. (Yes and Unibroue! Which is Canadian beer - from Quebec)

Some things are sourced from Canada, some not. Some recipes are close-to-Canadian, others are not. :)

We've found everything there tasty and enjoyed it. As someone from Montreal, I've decided not to re-try the poutine (too different for me!), but I do enjoy the ice wine and laugh every time at the giant bottles of "La Maudite" beer. :)

Now, a bit off-topic, but have you tried the poutine at The Daily Poutine in DS? I've been to Ontario on multiple occasions, and TDP's offering looks good, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

DH and I are looking to try it out.

We both love steak so it would probably be our go to on the menu. Of course, living in Canada we do have great steak all the time, but Alberta beef is in a class all on its own. Every time I've been to Alberta I've made a point of almost overdosing on steak. If Le Cellier was importing it, it would be worth every penny for that alone. And as Brie is one of my favourite indulgences I'm curious if it has the Quebec Brie I'm used to (some girls love chocolate, I love expensive meat and cheese).

The Unibroue beers are fabulous, though they do pack quite a punch la fin du monte and trios pistoles are both 9% and not for the faint of heart. Not sure if they have these on the menus.

Don't even get me started on the so called poutine, or even the way Disney pronounces poutine. I'll save my poutine cravings for the chip truck down the street.

We both love steak so it would probably be our go to on the menu. Of course, living in Canada we do have great steak all the time, but Alberta beef is in a class all on its own. Every time I've been to Alberta I've made a point of almost overdosing on steak. If Le Cellier was importing it, it would be worth every penny for that alone. And as Brie is one of my favourite indulgences I'm curious if it has the Quebec Brie I'm used to (some girls love chocolate, I love expensive meat and cheese).

The Unibroue beers are fabulous, though they do pack quite a punch la fin du monte and trios pistoles are both 9% and not for the faint of heart. Not sure if they have these on the menus.

Don't even get me started on the so called poutine, or even the way Disney pronounces poutine. I'll save my poutine cravings for the chip truck down the street.
You're response made my day. It was basically what I was thinking while reading all these posts. Alberta beef is top notch, and as a Canadian who once had "poutine" in American I don't think I want to recreate that experience again. We have amazing stuff right around the corner where I live, and so being able to go somewhere new and seek out something you new, or that you can't get around the corner (like Alberta beef for you) seems like an amazing idea.

la fin du monte and trios pistoles are both 9% and not for the faint of heart. Not sure if they have these on the menus.

Yep. On draft. And they usually have Fin Du Monde on draft at the beer cart outside, too.

I think a number of pavilions use several imported ingredients.
Via Napoli's menu says they use imported flour and tomatoes..but a homemade mozzarella on their pizza. Although they had a more expensive, imported mozzarella available.

Mozzarella imported from Italy is made from the milk of water buffalo. The cheese made in the U.S.A. is usually made from cow's milk and is technically called fior de latte.

Some things are sourced from Canada, some not. Some recipes are close-to-Canadian, others are not. :)

We've found everything there tasty and enjoyed it. As someone from Montreal, I've decided not to re-try the poutine (too different for me!), but I do enjoy the ice wine and laugh every time at the giant bottles of "La Maudite" beer. :)

Wait....they have Ice Wine??? I love Ice Wine!! We can't get it at any of my near-by liquor/wine stores in Kentucky. I may have to book Le Celliar just for the Ice Wine. I tried it when I went to Canada a few years ago and love it!!

Wait....they have Ice Wine??? I love Ice Wine!! We can't get it at any of my near-by liquor/wine stores in Kentucky. I may have to book Le Celliar just for the Ice Wine. I tried it when I went to Canada a few years ago and love it!!
Indeed they do!! Very tasty stuff...! :)

Is Le Cellier Joe Beef or Langdon Hall? Nope not even close. It is just a steakhouse in the Canada pavilion with poutine. There is some attempt like the use of king salmon but no use of game or fresh water fish that is fairly common in modern Canadian cuisine. Also no use of berries

but I do enjoy the ice wine
I've never been to Le Cellier but I did have the chance to try ice wine on a trip to Niagara Falls a few years ago.

I'm glad to see that I now have extra incentive to investigate the Canadian Pavilion a little more closely! Do you buy it by the glass wirh your meals or are bottles available in any of the shops? Or both?

I enjoy Le Cellier but I don't order steak. (Yes and Unibroue! Which is Canadian beer - from Quebec)

I'd love to hear about your non steak entree! We're going with DD and DSIL in February and he really wants to eat at Le Cellier but I'm not a steak person.

DH and I are planning a dinner at Le Cellier. Disney's website says the food is inspired by the Canadian provinces, but we wonder are they sourcing the food from Canada as well? For example is the Brie from Quebec or the beef from Alberta or the the seafood from the maritime? We are both Canadian and I'd hate to go in expecting Quebec Brie and Alberta beef and it's not.

I wouldn't expect the meal to meet all your expectations in authenticism. I've been to dozens of places that make a better steak than LeCellier. But then again, why travel to Florida and expect a meal that tastes like it was prepared in Alberta? I would say go in assuming the ingredients are all from Canada whether they are or not and the placebo-effect will tell you it was the best meal you've ever had. :D

Just curious....how does Disney pronounce poutine and how do you pronounce it? Just wanna know if I'm saying it right.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter