Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Gridiron 4M: A Volunteer Experience

I think I might have mentioned on here once or twice that I’m doing a guaranteed entry program for the NYC Marathon, where I run 9 qualifying races and participate in one volunteer opportunity (called “9 + 1”) and then I get guaranteed entry for the 2019 NYC Marathon … none of that lottery business.

I decided that I wanted to do my +1 volunteering early in the year, partially just to get it out of the way and partially because the spots later in the year tend to fill up early. I signed up to volunteer at a fluid station at the Gridiron 4M on Sunday, February 4th.

Signup itself was super easy … I just did it through my myNYRR account (that thing again). I got an email a few days before the race telling me when and where to show up (7:00am (ugh) behind Ballfield 8 at 102nd & East Drive). And that was all the “prep.”

As per usual, I took the subway to the race, and as per usual, something annoying happened (this time it was me forgetting how far of a walk it is from 96th & 2nd to 102nd & 5th and being worried that I’d be late). I got there at 7:01, checked in, got my assignment (fluid station 3), my vest, my “credentials” (aka volunteer lanyard) and my hat. They told me to grab breakfast then find my group and wait with them, but since I had already eaten breakfast on the train, I just grabbed a bottle of water and went to wait with my group. And then proceeded to put my volunteer hat on top of my winter hat:

20180204_072655.jpg
(I have no idea what my face looks like here)

At around 7:30ish, the volunteer coordinator came over and introduced our team leader, then told us where to go. We walked to our station, and NYRR staff had already set up the tables and cups of water. And so, the waiting began... (we weren't expecting the first runners until at least 9:15)

We talked a lot. It was a good group of people - ranging from someone who was just starting to get into distance running to a trail/mountain ultramarathoner (and everything in between). Our team leader was a regular volunteer and a regular runner, so she shared tips and stories about both. Our station was right by the start of the reservoir, so we went there for a bit to hang out and to cheer on (and confuse) runners.

upload_2018-2-4_20-11-57.png

Once the race started, I started behind the table, helping to ensure that there were always enough cups up front for the people in front of the table (who were holding the water out for the runners). One of the guys in front of the table wanted to swap, so I went out in front of the table and held out water (which I ended up doing for the rest of the race, even after he came back out front … we did okay with just 1-2 people handling the cups from behind the table).

That first person who takes water from you is your favorite person in the race. So is the second person. And every person after that. So is every person who thanks you for volunteering. Basically, runners are the best. I really gained a new appreciation for runners from this volunteering experience.

After the last runners came through, we spilled out all the water, threw out all the cups (so much waste, btw), gathered our garbage, collapsed the tables, and went back to check out. That was a fairly easy process – I just gave them my name, and then handed in my vest and credentials.

Once that was all done, I went to the conservatory garden to find a bathroom, did my business, and then started my run. But that’s a topic for a different post.

upload_2018-2-4_20-14-0.png
(Bathroom is on the top left in this photo ... you can't really see it, it's kinda off camera)

For those of you who don’t like reading and skipped to the end, here are some positives and negatives of the experience:

Negatives:
  • The long wait before we did anything. There was really no reason for us to be at our station before 8:30, since we were towards the end and everything was already set up.
  • So cold! Not their fault, but ... I don't know that I’d volunteer in the cold again. The hand warmers they gave us helped, but not enough.
  • I hated seeing so much water and cups get wasted. We tried to give some to random runners in the park, but we still wasted a lot.

Positives:
  • My fellow volunteers! What a great group of people!
  • NYRR staff were great too - pleasant and painless experience from start to finish
  • The runners! They all seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that we were out there.
  • The sense of fulfillment I felt every time someone took a cup of water from me. It really was a great feeling knowing that I was helping other runners (even in such a small way).
Would I recommend the race volunteer experience? Absolutely. Obviously, your experience may vary, but I thought it was a really great experience and something that everyone should try. It definitely gives you a new appreciation for both runners and volunteers, and it’s just a very fulfilling experience.

Would I do it again? Yes, but... maybe during the spring or summer when I won't freeze. Or if I did it in the winter, I wouldn't plan to run after, so I could wear boots and warmer clothing. I would not do this “volunteer and then run” combo in the winter again. (I’m considering maybe volunteering again for a spring or summer race, but we’ll see if that happens. Life may get in the way.)

Awesome job volunteering!! Sounds like a really good experience overall, and you're 1 step closer to the marathon. Woohoo!! :yay:

I was really bummed to see Chicago Joe go home on the sudden death quick fire. He was one of my favorites and such a bummer after just winning Restaurant Wars. :( I'm not sure I really have a favorite this season now that Chicago Joe is gone. I like Bruce a lot, but I think his days are numbered after Padma's remark about his pasta. Of course, I think that's some of that can't win thing with Top Chef. I think he resorted to his standby, apparently amazing, stuff since Tom called him out on trying new stuff and struggling and why didn't he just cook his normally great food, and now he gets picked on for doing his normal stuff (although admittedly that's all he's been doing lately). Carrie has grown on me a lot. After initially seeming to be one of the weaker chefs, it's nice to see her coming on now, but I was surprised that a toast offering won the quickfire. She still seems to lack some creativity to me. Poor Fatima. I liked her and liked the different cuisine she brought to the show as well. I'll also say I was happy to see Claudette go both times although she must be a fireball in Last Chance Kitchen (which I don't watch but read about later) although I just read that Brother Luck (LOVE HIM) beat her out. So, now do I want Brother or Chicago Joe to win there. UGH. I'm sure I have multiple other thoughts, but that's all I can think of right now. :)

I finally watched the episode last night, so here are my thoughts:

I think Chicago Joe (clean-shaved Joe? I feel like there are so many names for him) and Fatima were my favorites, so I'm super bummed about that episode. Of the ones left, Carrie might be my favorite, but I think I'd like to see Joe or Fatima come back from last chance kitchen and win. I'd be okay with Brother too ... I didn't love him, but I liked him a little.
And don't get my started on Claudette ... I wanted her to get kicked off the first time she opened her mouth (well, maybe not that quickly, but it was close). Ugh. I'm glad she's gone.
(I actually don't like Bruce ... don't know why, he just gets on my nerves. Also, every time they show him saying something about how he wants to be home with his kid (which is understandable), I think it's foreshadowing that he's going to get kicked off ... and then he doesn't)

Sounds like an overall great day!! I always try to thank the volunteers and you confirmed that being polite is always the right thing to do :) This encouraged me to try and volunteer for a race this year!

It really was a great day - I highly encourage volunteering for a race! It's such a fulfilling experience!
I've also always tried to thank the volunteers, but I will definitely be making a special effort to do it from now on. It really was a special experience to be on the other side of the "table" (although for most of the race I was on the same side of the table as the runners...)

Awesome job volunteering!! Sounds like a really good experience overall, and you're 1 step closer to the marathon. Woohoo!! :yay:

Thanks! It really was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it!
(And I'm not quite 1 step closer yet ... it can take up to a week for the volunteer credit to hit my account. But I'll be that one step closer soon.)

Sounds like a great volunteering experience (except the cold!). I keep saying I want to do some volunteering to "give back" to the sport as it were, but then never seem to manage it. Goal this year to rectify that!

I finally watched the episode last night, so here are my thoughts:

I think Chicago Joe (clean-shaved Joe? I feel like there are so many names for him) and Fatima were my favorites, so I'm super bummed about that episode. Of the ones left, Carrie might be my favorite, but I think I'd like to see Joe or Fatima come back from last chance kitchen and win. I'd be okay with Brother too ... I didn't love him, but I liked him a little.
And don't get my started on Claudette ... I wanted her to get kicked off the first time she opened her mouth (well, maybe not that quickly, but it was close). Ugh. I'm glad she's gone.
(I actually don't like Bruce ... don't know why, he just gets on my nerves. Also, every time they show him saying something about how he wants to be home with his kid (which is understandable), I think it's foreshadowing that he's going to get kicked off ... and then he doesn't)

Oh, I get what you mean about Bruce. I think I'm a sucker for him because our eldest is adopted, so when he was going through the birth of his son and when his wife called and said, "Hi, Daddy" it legit made me cry. I also keep thinking they are foreshadowing him leaving, but then, nope. I don't think he wins it though, although I'm not sure who it will be.

Sounds like a great volunteering experience (except the cold!). I keep saying I want to do some volunteering to "give back" to the sport as it were, but then never seem to manage it. Goal this year to rectify that!

Yes! Volunteer! Just maybe do it when it's warm out and you don't have to stand around in the cold ...

That sounded like suuuuch a great experience! I volunteered at an Ironman event and my job was to tell people to slow down on a turn from the swim to the bike so they wouldn't fall. I saw so many amazing people run by me, all shapes, sizes, missing limbs, etc. It was really moving. Plus, I know how weather can suck: it rained the whole time I was out there and I didn't have a jacket!

You make me wanna volunteer for a race again. I will be adding that to my to-do list!

That sounded like suuuuch a great experience! I volunteered at an Ironman event and my job was to tell people to slow down on a turn from the swim to the bike so they wouldn't fall. I saw so many amazing people run by me, all shapes, sizes, missing limbs, etc. It was really moving. Plus, I know how weather can suck: it rained the whole time I was out there and I didn't have a jacket!

Minus the rain, that sounds amazing. It's so incredible to see the variety of people who participate in these events and how they triumph over difficulties and crush the course!

You make me wanna volunteer for a race again. I will be adding that to my to-do list!

Yay! Volunteering is awesome!

What a cool program the 9-1 is! And great job getting your volunteer commitment done already - I need to look into doing something like that sometime soon. I really do appreciate volunteers (esp the ones from my race this weekend that patiently dealt with unhappy Boston drivers who didn’t want to wait 10-15 min to get on their way! :sad2:)

What a cool program the 9-1 is! And great job getting your volunteer commitment done already - I need to look into doing something like that sometime soon. I really do appreciate volunteers (esp the ones from my race this weekend that patiently dealt with unhappy Boston drivers who didn’t want to wait 10-15 min to get on their way! :sad2:)

Yep, it's definitely a cool program and I'm glad they have it. There's no way I would do the lottery for the marathon. Too stressful.
Wow, I think volunteers that have to deal with unhappy Boston drivers should be eligible for sainthood. The worst I had to deal with was a little splashing water and some minor accidental collisions.

Sarah! I have a question you might know the answer to because the internet is failing me. I saw that the NYRR has a lot of virtual races and if you do 6 races you can get a guaranteed entry to the Popular Brooklyn Half in 2019. What I am not seeing though, is whether you get medals for the virtual races. They don't say so on the website so I am assuming not. Just thought you would know better since you run their races.

Sarah! I have a question you might know the answer to because the internet is failing me. I saw that the NYRR has a lot of virtual races and if you do 6 races you can get a guaranteed entry to the Popular Brooklyn Half in 2019. What I am not seeing though, is whether you get medals for the virtual races. They don't say so on the website so I am assuming not. Just thought you would know better since you run their races.

Nope, no medals. :( Just badges on Strava.
Also, there are two price levels for the races - if you want to get into the Brooklyn Half, you need to register for the virtual 6 entry level (the more expensive one)

Nope, no medals. :( Just badges on Strava.
Also, there are two price levels for the races - if you want to get into the Brooklyn Half, you need to register for the virtual 6 entry level (the more expensive one)
Thanks lady! I kind of figured not. I have never been to NY, so what better reason than a race? Not sure if I'll commit to this though...

Thanks lady! I kind of figured not. I have never been to NY, so what better reason than a race? Not sure if I'll commit to this though...

You should definitely come to NY for a race! Even if it's not the Brooklyn Half ... there are lots of good races around here!

To Register or To Wait?

Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys (and gals, of course ... I tend to use "guys" as a catch-all term) ... there's race suspense!

If you look at page 1 of this thread, or follow any of the 5-Borough Series/4 of 6 stuff I've been talking about, you'll know that I'm currently planning to run the New Balance Bronx 10 Mile and Staten Island Half as part of my attempt to qualify for guaranteed entry for the 2019 United Airlines NYC Half Marathon.
I discovered today that these two races are currently available for registration for NYRR members. And I don't know what to do.

Do I ...
  • Register for the races, even though I don't know if I will even want to run the NYC Half again next year?
  • Wait until I have a little more money and register later with the non-members (I don't remember these races selling out early last year, but I'm not 100% sure)?
  • Wait until after March 18th (this year's United Airlines NYC Half) and if I like it, register then?

My instinct is to just register because I need races for 9+1 anyway, even if I don't do the half next year, but ... both of these races start at 8:00am and will be hard to get to (Bronx 10 Mile I'm entirely on my own, but Staten Island half I may be able to ask my dad to drive me to the ferry (I won't ask him to drive me to Staten Island because he hates the Verrazano Bridge) if he's available ... but either way, it's a rough commute). I can always find some shorter races to do for the 9+1.

Yeah.

I also haven't registered for my April race, but I'm holding off on that until the next set of race registrations become available and I'll do April, May, and June all together.

1. I'm sad that I wasn't there to see you volunteer, but way to go! My friends that ran said that it would have been a better race had it not been so cold, and they were moving.

2. I have no advice around the registering, but I am here to watch.

3. I ran out of coffee Monday AM, and I didn't realize how much I had come to love my programmable coffee pot. Don't worry, it's now been rectified.

When I stop being lazy, I may have to steal this and use it as the official thread meme (is it considered a meme? I don't understand what is and isn't a meme. The internet confuses me). I can put it on the front page and everything.

1. I'm sad that I wasn't there to see you volunteer, but way to go! My friends that ran said that it would have been a better race had it not been so cold, and they were moving.

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely would have been happier with warmer weather. So cold.

2. I have no advice around the registering, but I am here to watch.

Thanks for watching!

3. I ran out of coffee Monday AM, and I didn't realize how much I had come to love my programmable coffee pot. Don't worry, it's now been rectified.

This is sad. No coffee = no bueno. But I'm glad the story has a happy ending and you have coffee now.

Good luck figuring out your plans! I'm glad to read I'm not the only indecisive one around here. Registration just opened for a local race I run every summer. I was about to sign up but then thought there was no reason to commit so early... Maybe in a few months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter