Lisa's Wish Journal - Now we have gone Dopey.

Hello everyone! I am going to try very hard to be back posting most days. I have really missed my Dis friends.

Today is my birthday so I thought this would be a good day to review this past year.

Health

The main reason I began this thread is to get my health back on track. I feel I have been successful this past year in this respect. I have completed two 1/2 marathons, with better time on each one. One 10K and several 5Ks. I can now walk 4-6 miles like it is nothing, yet get a good work out. I have danced in my first ever dance recital and lived to tell about it. I enjoyed myself so much that I couldn't imagine not having dance in my weekly routine. I am much more conscience of what I eat and how much. I'm not perfect (this weekend is a perfect example of that), but I do think and try. I went to a chiropractor who has done a lot to help reduce my headaches. I am also trying to reduce the stress in my life which I now realize was affecting my health.
I have been successful in working on my health.

My Mother
After all we went through, Gram now lives with me. It is not a perfect situation by any means, but she is in a safe place and doesn't have the worrys she did before. Also, she is not sick all the time like she used to be.
We have been successful here also.

Monetary issues
Well, two out of three isn't bad. I have worked very hard on this all year and felt like I was fighting a losing battle. I do realize that I have made significant changes, just not the big ones I had hoped for. I wouldn't call the financial year a failure, but I could have been more successful.

Family
Everyone is good with the family. Both children are doing good in school.

DD is still dancing and I was very proud when she wanted to do something new and try hip hop. She wanted to quit almost immediatly, but I told her she had to give it a chance and now she loves it. She was very intimidated by the older kids in the class at first.

DS is doing much better in school this year and has had a busy year sports wise. He was on the swim team and then soccer team. Now he is signed up for the golf team. He has a job which he loves.

Oldest DS is finally realizing he is an adult and his future depends on himself. He actually thanked me one day for kicking him out a couple years ago. He now realizes why I did it and it has made him grow as a person and an adult. He has set backs occasionally but is finding his way.

I am very proud of all three of my children.

I am now working on this new year.

Health
I am going to continue to walk. I took a couple weeks off after the Disney marathon weekend and really missed it. Currently I walk twice a week in the evenings with my friend April and I am starting back at work three times a week. We plan to do the 1/2 marathon in October and are going to sign up for the full at Disney in January 2013. We may even be going Goofy because my DH has decided he wants to try.
I also have my dance. A bit of news here. Our dance school is going to Disney the first week of April for the girls to attend a workshop. The school will also be dancing on the main stage at DTD while we are there. My class will be part of the performance. Can you say dream come true? I can hardly believe that I will actually get to perform on a Disney stage.

Gram
She isn't very happy right now. She expects us to wait on her and do for her, but I refuse. She is very capable and can do for herself. My thoughts are "the less you do for yourself, the less you will be able to do for yourself". She also thinks I don't spend enough time with her. We still have issues to work on.

Finances
I thought a lot about it and have decided to take a different approach. To make small changes instead of trying for big ones. Little changes that just take a bit of effort on my part. The first three weeks I began this, I only spent $3 total on food at work. I now have a bigger variety of food and keep dishes I can wash there. Another change is to use less paper goods, cheaper to wach a bowl and spoon that to purchase paper/plastic every couple of weeks, plus less waste.
I am putting more into savings and to do that, I am really thinking when I shop. I always considered myself a good shopper, but realized I can do way better. I don't automatically buy the cheapest, but I do utilize coupons and sales a lot more. We have cleared some space in the garage for items we can buy on sale and stock up. I signed up for the Target Redcard. I shop at Target a couple times a month and always pay off the CC each month. With this card it is an automatic 5% off the bill. Nothing to accumulate to use on something else. I can already see the savings here.
I visited my insurance agent and we discussed my policies. We were able to make significant savings on both.
We decided to purchase into DVC. This was a big decision for us. I have been researching DVC for almost 4 years. With the data of our past couple of years trips, we realized there is savings for us to be a part of DVC. Right now it makes since and in the long run we will save $$ on our trips.

Family

DD is doing good, but just lost one of her teachers (the teacher is expecting a baby and abrutly decided to quit in the middle of the year). She had a less than desirable sub and her grades dropped that class. Her new teacher was a student teacher in this class and DD is now much happier. She is still having a little trouble, but we are working with her and hopefully she will settle down in a couple of weeks.
DS is working to keep his grades up. He has the promise of doing the Disney 1/2 next January if he can. He has gone from Bs, Cs and Ds to As & Bs. He is maturing right before our eyes; it's an amazing transformation.

DH and I both have probable changes coming at work, DH more than I, but we are trying to just roll with it.

Life is good right now. I recently realized how very blessed I am and I wondered why. I used to be so frustrated with almost everything, but now just try to go with it. Things happen that I can't control and I realize that. Getting upset won't change anything. New Year's Eve I was home sick by myself. While watching movies, feeling a little sorry for myself, I started thinking about things and that is when I realized how blessed I am. I'm still not sure why but I thank God every day for what I have and for the little things.

Wow Lisa!!! Your posts are amazing!!!:thumbsup2

I love how you looked back on the past year and evaluated the major things in your life. I also love how you are looking at the present and the goals that you want to attain in the next year. You are such an inspiration!:hug:

How cool that you will be dancing at Disney!!!:cool1: That is so exciting, Lisa!!! :cheer2: I can't wait to hear all about it! ::yes::

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with gram right now. Sending prayers that everything works out. :goodvibes

I hear ya on finances, my friend. :hug: Sometimes I get so focused on the big picture, that I don't stop to celebrate the small changes that are victories too. It sounds like you are doing a great job!:thumbsup2

Woohoo for DVC!!!:woohoo: Where did you guys buy at?

It sounds like your kids are doing very well. :goodvibes Great job mom and dad! :thumbsup2

Sending :wizard: for the work changes for you and your DH. I hope everything works out for you in this area as well.

I am so happy to hear that life is good!:hug: And I am so happy that you're back on WISH! We missed you around here!:grouphug:

Hi Tracy!
Thank you for all of your words of encouragement and the prayers.

We bought in at Saratoga which is what I had been looking at. We bought Direct instead of doing resale. We wanted the flexbilty buying direct brought and there was a special on SSR points. Yes, re-sale would have been much cheaper, but this worked for us.

We will be staying at SSR when we go in April.

You're welcome, Lisa! :goodvibes I'm so glad you're back on WISH!:hug:

Woohoo for SSR!:woohoo: We have never stayed there, but we have eaten at the Turf Club several times and have walked around the resort. It's really, really nice! :) I love how close it is to DTD too! :) I can't wait to hear about your trip!:cool1:

Thanks again Tracy. I am excited for my first stay as a DVC member. It is a lovely resort. I plan to request one of the buildings closest to DTD so it will be an easy walk for DD. Should be an interesting trip. DD will be attending a dance workshop and then I will be performing. And for the first time, DS will have friends his age there to hang with. The last time we went with friends and one his age, that friend wanted to stay with the moms and younger kids, so DS ended on his own that time too.

Work was busy today, Mondays usually are. We didn't have dance tonight. There was a Mardi Gras parade tonight and it went right in front of the dance school. The instructor invited some of us to come early, eat dinner and watch the parade. It was very nice to be inside until the parade showed up, especially since it was lightly raining. Small parade, but we had fun and the kids enjoyed it.

It sounds like you have a great trip planned, Lisa!:thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear all about it!:goodvibes

How cool that you got to watch a Mardi Gras parade last night!:goodvibes

Hope you have a wonderful day today!:hug:

Today we attended a funeral for a co-workers Father. He was in a work accident a couple weeks ago and was burned very badly. Full church and long service, but a wonderful celebration of life.

Work went quickly which was good. No walking tonight. April couldn't and I had a doctor's appointment. The chiopractor is very pleased with my progress. I was ill in the middle of the night last night and began feeling bad again this evening. I chose a shower and quite computer time over walking.

Sunday was my birthday and DH made me a cake. :love: Monday a co-worker brought me a very rich chocolate cake. (I think it is what made me sick. It was too rich for me) Today I got to work and what did I find? A chocolate cake on my desk. Another co-worker didn't know about the one yesterday so he asked his GF to make me one. :love: I love my co-workers! and I love homemade chocolate cake, but I pray no more show up.

I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker's father. :(

How are you feeling today, my friend? I hope you're feeling much better!:hug:

Woohoo for birthday cake!:woohoo: That was really nice of your DH and your co-worker's GF to make a cake for you!:goodvibes

Have a wonderful Wednesday!:goodvibes

Thanks Tracy. Sorry I have been gone for 3 days. Didn't mean to.

Wednesday, DH went out of town for a couple of days which means I got to do both morning and evening shift at home. And I am so not a morning person, but we made it through. I let DD sleep with me, so she was happy and willing to ride the bus and DS has matured so much that I was able to just make sure he was up for school and then could leave for work.

DS was in a car accident a couple weeks ago where someone pulled into his lane without looking. The women kept apologizing and I felt bad for her as she had just had her car for one week. Thankfully it wasn't DS' fault nor was anyone hurt. The car has a couple of dents and scratches so we will get them fixed so it doesn't rust. I got the police report today so we can file that claim now. :thumbsup2

Thursday wasn't exciting nor did I get to walk, but I did get to scrub the back porch. We are having tile installed on it and it needed to be cleaned. That was my exercise for the evening. :rotfl:

Today the tile work began and I got to stay home to supervise, Roo helped. She sat at the back door and barked at them occasionally. They will be back tomorrow to finish. I didn't think the tile was necessary, but DH wanted it. Looks kind of nice.

No big plans for the weekend. Suppose to storm tomorrow so our yard sale at the dance school was cancelled. I'm looking forward to a nice day inside listening to the rain. :goodvibes

I'm sorry to hear about the car accident. :( Thank God that no one was hurt! I hope the insurance process goes smoothly for you. :wizard:

Scrubbing the back porch definitely counts as exercise!:thumbsup2 I hope you'll post a picture of the new tile when it's finished. I'd love to see it! ::yes::

Have a relaxing weekend, Lisa!:goodvibes

Back again after a very busy past few days.

Tile is in and looks great. The guys did a wonderful job. I was very impressed that they came back on Saturday and finished it while it was raining. Just hung a tarp and they went to work. :thumbsup2

Saturday we had a really bad storm go through. I ended up in the powder room with DD and the dog. Both were very scared. DH and DS suited up and were ready to go out as soon as the storm let up. They helped clear several trees that came down. Thankfully there wasn't any serious damage.

Sunday was a very cool and calm day (thankfully).

Monday DH and I took DD to New Orleans for her first big Mardi Gras parade and we ended up seeing 3. We have friends who have a condo on one of the main parade streets and a balcony that overlooks the street. Very nice to be up above the crowd and able to see the floats and all away from the crowds. We were in a residential area that is family friendly and very far away from the caos of Bourbon Street that everyone sees on the news.

Tuesday, back to work and walking. We walked 5.39 miles and it felt great.

Wednesday, kids were back to school today, but it's a short week so DD doesn't have much school work to do. April and I walked again and did 5.10 miles. Funny that now we can do over 5 miles and not even think about it. Mostly we stop due to the time not that we are tired. April was very surprised when I said it was time to stop tonight.

The guys did a wonderful job on your tile. :thumbsup2

I'm so sorry to hear about the storm on Saturday! :( I'm glad that everyone is okay!:grouphug:

Way to go on all of that walking that you guys are doing!:cheer2: Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

Have a wonderful day today, my friend!:hug:

Thanks Tracy. I am happy with the tile. DH wants some new furniture now. :rolleyes1

Had to work Friday. :( Fridays are for the birds, as there is always a problem. Got it worked out, but :upsidedow

Spent the evening baking for DD's snack table at our yard sale and getting stuff ready. DH came home not feeling well and went to bed. DS took DD to the skating rink for a couple of hours. :goodvibes He's a good kid.

Today was the yard sale. Our dance school has a large parking lot and is on the main street through town. Lots of traffic. Several of us set up booths. It was cold and windy, but we had lots of customers. I wasn't able to take much up there since DH was sick, but I got a few things there and had a small booth. I sold a good bit of it. The big things I had went and DD did well at her snack stand. One man bought just because at the bottom of her sign it says "Earning money for Disney". (it used to say "earning money for Mickey Bars" but most people didn't know what Mickey Bars are.) He said he loves Disney and is willing to help any kid earning money to go there. :thumbsup2 Turns out he is a local business owner and owns a reception center that we were going to contact about having our yearly dinner at. He said he would give us a deal on the rental. :banana:

Very tired tonight, but the day was good. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I hope to get a little rest.

PS - I have been working on finances a lot and I am optomistic. Now if everything goes as I have it planned on paper and there are NO suprises whatsoever, we'll be good. :lmao:

Yay for the yard sale and for your DD's Disney money!:thumbsup2

How was the rest of your weekend? Did you guys get more storms?

Have a great Tuesday!:hug:

Hello Tracy!:wave2:

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. *sigh* I'm a bad Wisher. :guilty:

First, our yard sale went rather well. It was cold and windy, but we did okay. DD sold out of snacks so she was happy.

Weather has been okay around here. We have had a couple of rather intense storms, but nothing unusual. March certainly came in as a Lion and today went out as a Lamb. :goodvibes

Walking has been sporadic. We try, but things just aren't working for us right now. Nor have I been able to walk at work. I have been so busy and forget the time or when I am ready to go, someone comes in with an emergency. We don't have any races right now, but I've notice a few pounds creeping back on. :sad2:

This past week has been focused on dance. We had extra practice this week (3 times) and they were very intense practices. We dance at Disney this coming Friday. If anyone is around we'll be on the main DTD stage across from World of Disney. Dancing at 1:30pm.

Speaking of Disney, it's only 10:00pm and the car is packed. Toiletry bag, computer case and pillow/blankets are the only things left to go in. Not sure what is going on, I am never ready this early. :confused3

The kids and I head out in the morning. DH will join us on Thursday. He is flying in and using ME for the first time. He was totally amazed when I explained to him how ME works and that he doesn't have to fool with his bag. Yep, just put that yellow tag on and they do the rest. :thumbsup2

Gram has gone to my DB's for a month. She is not happy about us going to Disney and not taking her. I don't have the funds to take her also and it didn't work out very well last time, so we just don't go there. Disney is my happy place where others take care of me for a week. I still have DD to do for, but not near as much as at home. Taking Gram along would not be a vacation for me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter.

Meet Roo, my walking buddy.
IMG_0775.jpg

She is eight years old and sixty pounds of solid muscle. At the beginning of each walk, she is always in the lead. She loves to walk.

She is adorable! Even if she slows you down or whatever just remember she waits all day for her special time with you! Nothing says happy like a wagging tail!! Aloha, Karen:goodvibes

Thanks for posting about my puppy. She is adorable and we love her. Unfortunately she doesn't walk with me anymore. I was taking her to the track and she would do 2 miles and then sit in the car while I finished. Two miles doesn't work for her anymore, so we stick to quiet walks around our immediate neighborhood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter