Live From Hilton Head Island!!!

Laurabearz

I cant load my bobbin!
Hey everyone!! LIVE FROM HILTON HEAD ISLAND!!!

The drive from JAX went smoothly! NO stops. Kids were great! A couple of coloring books and time flew. Even boy enjoyed coloring in a Blue's clues book.

I gotta say... the folks in GA drive FAST. Whew.... I was going 75 and the flow of traffic was closer to 85. There was a couple of work areas, but only one where people were working. Traffic slowed to a turtles pace of 70 in work zones. So we left JAX at 2 and got to check in at 5:08. I was hoping for a more scenic drive, but it was all 3 lane highway with tall trees on both sides. The occasional bridge, and marshy areas, but no coastline. But that is the price you pay for taking the hwy. Not a bad drive, and thankfully all the kids were angels, but next year, I will book airfare to SAV right at the 7 month window.

We have a lovely Marsh view and love the 2 bedroom, 1st floor, right near the pool. Love it!

After check in we took a quick dip in the pool and we went back to the room for diiner before heading to the campfire.

Gregor ran the campfire tonight and he remembered us from last year! He even remembered our last name (which is 11 letters long and very polish) I love listening to him talk... he is from Scotland. This place feels like home. I am still amazed he remembered us. Of COurse now I am wondering if that is a good thing....lol

CAMPFIRE TIP... arrive early and check wind direction! I also suggest bringing a pot holder!!

I ran in to MSH1420 tonight after the campfire. Chatted a bit, but my kids were bonkers (been a long travel day) So we turned in early... DD 6 and DS 2 are STILL up (Boy napped 2 times today so I expect him to be up for a while yet, but DD6 SHOULD be zonked... ahhhh to have her energy!

The Boy is a handful. Last year he was much more managable, but at 2... well he can run fast. I perdict major skinned knees from running full speed down the pier. As of this moment.. a leash sounds really good. ;)

Over the next couple of days I will post what activites are offered... If anyone has any other questions... feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Glad you are happy with your room. Thanks for reporting in! Someday....we hope to get to HH.

I really hope that you will have a great time! I know from reading your posts that you have really been looking forward to your trip. One question about this time of year, what is the air tempature and water tempature? I am thinking of booking this time of year next year.

Enjoy your stay at Hilton head! And it's great to hear a live post from there! We are going there over July 4th and can't wait! I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope the weather is great for you!

Thanks for taking time out of your vacation to post! A vacations sound good right about now.

Thanks for the quick report - how is the weather? We arrive in ONE WEEK! i am really looking forward to our vacation too. Sandie

I'm there with you in spirit...so be sure and have twice the fun!!!

Thanks for the report! I'll be anxious to know how many of the activities are impacted without a naturalist there.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!!!! Glad you are having a good time!!!

Ms. Sparrow aka Allison

DH and the girls are swimming and Boy is napping after a full day of shopping and swimming, thought I would answer some questions.

First... I have decided that if all the Wal mart parking lots were as lovely as the one on Hilton Head, the world would be a better place. :flower:

Weather is mid 80's with overcast. No rain, just grey skies... Love it. Warm enough to swim (resort pool is nicely heated also) and cool enough to ride bikes, ublike last years blazing 100 degree temps.

Girls did the Marsh Walk (which seems to only be offered on Saturdays(today and next) and they were the only kids signed up. They had a blast. Colored, did crafts, walked on the marsh, picked up hermit crabs, and more. Boy and I went to Walmart and publics, while DH relaxed in the villa.

More swimming this afternoon. Boy went from always holding on to letting go and dog paddling all in an hour! (With floatie)

Dolphin cruises for the week are empty. We do plan on picking a time and day before Broad Creek Rentals closes at 5.

The boy (2) has been a real PITA. Well I guess he is just being a 2 YO boy, and that is way different than a 2 yo girl let me tell you. lol Got to watch him like a hawk. Monday there is Toddler time Nature Colllage for kids 1-5 that we will do, but the rest of the activities are for older kids. He really enjoyed riding inthe child seat on the bike... even fell asleep on it (which is why I am here now... LOL)

Tonight at 8 is a Magic Show in the CH. We are going to try the pulled pork sandwiches from Tides for dinner... maybe another swim before the show. Ahhhhhhh Love this...

Tomorrow we will go into town in the morning, and eat lunch out... (gotta review the restruant thread!!!)

Hav I mentioned how much I love this place???

Thanks for the posts, we arrive this Friday and are very excited. I completely understand about the 2 year old boy, My DS is three and he is a handful!!!

Try to relax and have a great time.

Thanks for letting us know a little bit about weekend activities, I was worried there wasn't a lot on the weekends.

Does the Marshwalk cost anything or is it included? What other activities are on the weekends? We will only be there Friday thru Monday.

Laurabearz said:
Weather is mid 80's with overcast. No rain, just grey skies... Love it. Warm enough to swim (resort pool is nicely heated also) and cool enough to ride bikes, ublike last years blazing 100 degree temps.

Dolphin cruises for the week are empty. We do plan on picking a time and day before Broad Creek Rentals closes at 5.

The boy (2) has been a real PITA. Well I guess he is just being a 2 YO boy, and that is way different than a 2 yo girl let me tell you. lol Got to watch him like a hawk. Monday there is Toddler time Nature Colllage for kids 1-5 that we will do, but the rest of the activities are for older kids. He really enjoyed riding inthe child seat on the bike... even fell asleep on it (which is why I am here now... LOL)

Tonight at 8 is a Magic Show in the CH. We are going to try the pulled pork sandwiches from Tides for dinner... maybe another swim before the show. Ahhhhhhh Love this...
HI LBz

Glad to hear you're having a great time so far. Your report that DS is being a PITA is scary to me and DW, cuz ours can be a real PITA too, and he's so different than our two DDs ever were ... thank God they're both old enough to help out.

How's the ocean water temps? Warm enough to get in?

Tell more about the dolphin cruise and the magic show (where's CH??).

Any other highlights?

Have a great day.

DS is fine... it is just that we have to watch him like a hawk. It scares me to death when he runs full speed down the pier.... of course if scares me to death when any child runs full speed anywhere... I am spastic like that. But really... we are having a great time with him. My younger DD, the boy and I went to the Magic show tonight. Oldest DD was the real PITA today and for her reward... a night in the room, no tv and daddy growling at her, lets hope that was enough to set her straight... she is throwing hissy fits and wants to do everything TODAY... ocean, beach, pool house, playground, crabbing, swimming, bike riding, eating, bath in the big tub, more swimming, kyacking, you name it... NOW NOW NOW.... but the is another story.

The boy did really good at the magic show. He danced, clapped, blew his nose on my shoulder.... a real hoot. B'Lou was ammusing as always. Some of the tricks stumped me. He said today they are at 48% full, but have a herd of people checking in tomorrow (Scootersmom and Cinderella97 are two of them!!! HANNAME)

Tonight we finalized all the things we want to do this week and I will book them first thing in the morning. As of 445 tonight everything was open. I bet that wont be true tomorrow night.

We are heading to the ocean tomorrow, so I will update on that later.

But AreWeThereYet.... dont fret... I gripe about boy a lot, in jest... mostly....lol he is a boy.. and like you, after two girls, well.... everything is a PITA.. ya know? So better to be a PITA here than at home. :wave2: Just dont take your eyes off of him.

"Tonight we finalized all the things we want to do this week and I will book them first thing in the morning. As of 445 tonight everything was open. I bet that wont be true tomorrow night. "

I hope there are some things open for us tomorrow! Glad to hear that you are having a great time. See you this week. I bought some lime green and white ribbon to wear in my and DD hair this week.

Your kids are probably just excited to be there. I know my DD had a hard time going to bed tonight.

Off to finish packing!! HANNAME!! :cool1:

I forgot to clarify CH... Community Hall.

The Marsh Walk cost $20 members $25 guests.... for 3 hours... add $7 for lunch.

Nature Kyacking 30 adults 17.50 child
Longview Arts and crafts (bird feeders...12 members 15 guests... rowboats 10 members 12 guests Gyotaku 10 m 12 g Arts and Crabs 12m 15g)

Toddler time Nature collage agers 1-5 free

Hilton Head tour $20

Aligatot Adventures $22 adults $18 CHILD(3-12)$5 (2 and under)

Teen Sorcerers Secrets 13-18 free

Kid night out $20 member $25 guest (Madagascar is the movie for the littleones)
Teen night out same price... dont know the movie

Edumunds low country shrip boil $2495... $8.95 (3-12)

Fishing pole Playhouse free

Unbirthday part free

Campfire free

Pool games free

Toddler tales... free

LauraB - Thanks - somehow the waiting seems easier with your reports. We are bringing 5 grandkids - 2, 4, 6, 8, & 12. They are generally great kids, but I am a little uneasy about having 5 of them. We'll see.

I called HH yesterday and reserved the Shrimp Boil and Barbacue. They sound great - the CM said they are held outside. I really don't like bringing the 2 year old out to a restrauant for dinner.

Have fun! Sandie

Laurabearz -- I had a good chuckle about the boy being your PITA after 2 dds... I was literally JUST commenting to DH last night that after 2 ds, our dd is a real PITA sometimes! I got very accustomed early on in my parenting years to our little cubs running full tilt (my boys are only 16 mos or so apart in age). Little fellas are by nature, I think, more physical -- everything they do has a 3D "gotta test it out" element to it! In contrast -- my dd puts an emotional element into EVERYTHING that we NEVER had with our boys! ANd we are just not used to that aspect AT ALL! When she runs too fast and tumbles, it's not just a boo-boo (as with the boys), it's like every injustice that was ever dealt her in her life is now manifested in a 2" dermabrasion and oh the horror, the pain, the AGONEEEEEEEE that NO ONE UNDERSTANDS and it was HIS fault or YOUR fault or her SHOE's fault and if I had just bought her the OTHER sandlas with the FLOWERS on them this might not have happened and make her brother stop LAUGHING it is NOT FUNNY and doesn't anoyone care about what this has done to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!?!

DD: :sad:
DH and I: :confused3 :confused:

ANYHOOOO.... glad to hear you are otherwise having fun!

What nights are the Kids Night Out held? WHat night is the Shrimp Boil? And what do they have for kids to eat / do at the shrimp boil night? (Where's that held -- at the Beach house?) I think I may call tomorrow and reserve a few things now, while I'm thinking about it (BBQ, Shrimp Boil if it sounds ok for kids, bikes, and Dolphin tour). I was intrigued to hear you say so many things were "wide open" and available... I guess it's pretty much a week-to-week crowd and things fill in fast on Sunday, then? We will be spending the night in S.C. with family about 3-4 hrs away from HHI the night before our Sunday arrival this August. WOndering if it would behoove us to make early tracks for HHI in order to get situated before the mad crush and things book up, etc. for anything we don't reserve in advance.

( BTW -- Did you end up getting bikes or not? )

Thanks for posting -- continue to enjoy the hanname outta your vacation!! :flower:

Boy is napping, girls are at the pool with DH.

KNO is on Monday
Low Country boil is at the beach house and is on thursday YMMV

Getting in early on Sundays you will prolly be able to get a room right away... then I would preview the weeks selections and some favorites right away. We have never been shut out, but we do book as soon as we figure it out.

Weather is still overcast but lovely. Temps are mid 80s Ocean temp was wonderful today. Not sure the number, but rest assured it was lovely. Beach house pool was a bit cooler, but not chilly. The tide was strong and pushed us down the beach. Waves were moderate, 2feet some 3 foot swells. One DD lost her sunglasses in the surf.

On the way to the beach house I saw a guy point at me... and saying to himself Pink hair? Then calling over Colleen and pointing and calling out PINK HAIR! It was Scootersmom!!! The FIRST ANNUAL HILTON HEAD ISLAND DVC HANNAME MEET has offically started! And the spirit of HANNAME is with us... both Scootersmom and I are in the SAME BUILDING! :banana:

AOL dial up is shaky at best... takes a long time to long in... maybe 5 minutes to get it up and running.

Tomorrow is Alligator Adventures and Kids Night Out! With a lot of pool thrown in! I hope the weather holds!

And Yes, we have rented bikes. I am embarrassed to say I am very shakey on it. And if I hear "Come on... its like riding a bike" one more time... I am gong to kill DH (who is riding circles around me scaring me half to death)

We had lunch at the Crazy Crab (not in seapines) and I took some great pictures. Food was decent, tab was 100 for the 5 of us. Kids like the playground and the pizza. I had the shrimp cocktail and crab stuffed flounder and DH had oysters (raw... ick) and the steamed pot with crab, oysters, shrimp. My shrimp could have been colder, otherwise a fine meal.

Okay.. I am cooking up some spaggitti sauce for tonight's dinner. Gotta finish it up before boy wakes up!

sandieb said:
LauraB - Thanks - somehow the waiting seems easier with your reports. We are bringing 5 grandkids - 2, 4, 6, 8, & 12. They are generally great kids, but I am a little uneasy about having 5 of them. We'll see.

I called HH yesterday and reserved the Shrimp Boil and Barbacue. They sound great - the CM said they are held outside. I really don't like bringing the 2 year old out to a restrauant for dinner.

Have fun! Sandie
The shrimp Boil is at the Beach house, around the pool, and the BBQ is near the pool at the resort. The BBQ is crazy with everyone coming out, and a lot of kids running around. Anyway in both places the pool is very close to the activities. POOL and 2 YO and LOTS of people is scary to me. Whom ever is watching said 2 yo can not take their eyes off of them for a second. Not ONE second. Ever.... If you can do that, all is good. But be prepared to chase them.

The Crazy Crab, the one you pass as you get on the island, is a good place to eat with littleones. The play area is nice and contained.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter