Live from OKW - 3/18 - 3/23...

nzdisneymom

DIS Veteran
This is the first time I've brought my laptop with me to WDW. We got a new camera, you see, so I wanted to try it out and of course I knew I'd want to off-load the photos so I could see them immediately. :surfweb:

So I figured I'd do a "live from..." trip report while I"m at it!

We left home this morning where it was 32 degrees ... and we're in north FL. We tried the new route (toll road 429 off the turnpike) and can I tell you how wonderful that route is? No traffic, no stress, nothing but orange groves and pine trees! And the toll is just $1... which is just 50 cents more than if we'd gone our usual route of going down to I-4 and heading back. We just followed the signs and came in by Coronado Springs. FWIW, we learned about the route from fellow DIS-Boarders! We decided it's the best way to go -- I-4 nearly always involves too much traffic, a wreck or stalled vehicle to navigate around, or a near-miss. I much prefer having my family in a less-dangerous place!

We arrived at OKW and checked in around 12:30 p.m. Our room wasn't available yet, but we were going to be assigned to one of our preferred buildings (23 - 26). So we decided to go back out and get some lunch and head over to the outlet stores, gas up, and then make a quick Publix stop. We took the route out by way of Saratoga Springs and were fine traffic-wise until we turned on Vineland off 535 and all that traffic that has to merge - well, let's just say we've decided to go the long-way around next time (which would be to take 535 to 536 and loop back around). Less traffic, less stress, and actually a little less time.

Anyway, we ate at the McD's across from the outlet mall - it was clean, the order was fast (and RIGHT) and the kids ate well. The Outlet mall was pretty crowded - we checked out the Character Premier but didn't find anything we needed / wanted today, but will likely check back on Friday before we leave. We got gasoline at the Hess on 536 which was 2 cents a gallon less than the Hess on property (and right on the way back for us).

Our room still wasn't ready around 3 p.m. so we checked our cold items and hung out at Community Hall for a while. We really like how they rearranged it since our last stay - the air hockey table is in the back and the "little kids" area is closer to the front. Foosball and darts have also been moved to the back. We checked out Babes in Toyland on DVD which the boys are watching right now. I don't think they've seen it before.

About 3:30 we took the DVC Ferry over to Downtown Disney and back - about 45 minute round trip, and when we got back, our room was ready, so we got our cold stuff and walked up to our room (they had told us which building we'd be in, so we'd already parked the car there). We got settled in, fed the kids a sandwich and yogurt, and now are just hangin' out til the movie is over and we'll head over to MK which has EMH tonight which means the park is open til 2 AM - so you can see why we don't feel the need to rush out!

Now, about the villa. This is our first stay in a 1-BR and we immediately agreed that any time we come for more than 2 nights, we'll stay in a 1-BR rather than a studio if points / season permit. It's spacious and nice to not be on top of each other. DH is enjoying the balcony. We brought a queen-sized aerobed for one of the boys and there is enough room by the sleeper-sofa that we can put it there (just need to move a chair and lamp over) and that way the boys don't have to sleep together, and DH and I *can* sleep together :hug:

The boys are amazed at the bathroom, especially the tub! I think they will enjoy taking baths! I wish there was a "not through the bedroom" entrance into the bathroom (at least the toilet area) for night, but that's ok.

We brought food for some meals in the room - lunches and some dinners - which will save some $$ (and offset the cost of my HSIA) and also ensure that DS#1 eats a better balanced diet than he usually gets at WDW.

The weather - it's a cool 70-something with a slight breeze - I think it will get a little chilly tonight, but I'd rather be chilly than hot! The weather is supposed to get warmer each day that we're here.

Well, thanks for reading! I'll post some photos if I figure out how to get them from my camera to my laptop!

In the future, keep in mind that the one bedroom units in Bldgs 30 and higher at OKW do have an entrance to the bathroom through the laundry room :) Sounds like you're going to have a great vacation!!

In the future, keep in mind that the one bedroom units in Bldgs 30 and higher at OKW do have an entrance to the bathroom through the laundry room :) Sounds like you're going to have a great vacation!!

Chuck - thanks! I'll have to remember that. Honestly, though, the kids rarely get up at night, so I don't expect it to be a problem, and we do like being in bldg 26 - we're a step away from the bus stop and just a real short walk from HH. But that's good to know about the higher-building numbers. Guess as they built out, they decided to redesign that, huh?

Thanks for reporting!! I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures this week. I have been Disney dreamin' here at home all day today, it's great to hear from someone living it. Have a fabulous time!!!:cloud9:

Guess as they built out, they decided to redesign that, huh?

Yes, as OKW was the first DVC, and a large resort, it was build in "phases" like SSR. They made the restroom door design change starting with Bldg 30. Bldgs 62, 63 & 64 are the newest bldgs at OKW and the only bldgs with elevators. They were built after the original sales center was demolished, and different wheelchair access laws were in place by the time they were constructed.

Have a great time tonight at MK's EMH's. I love to be there when the park is near empty. It has a quiet, peacefull feeling. Enjoy!!

Cyndi

Glad you are having a good time.

It is hard to go back to a studio especially after being in a OKW 1 BDR.
Have a great trip.

Waiting for DS#2 to finish getting ready for bed - it's 12:40 a.m.

We went to MK around 7 p.m. It was still pretty crowded when we got there, but being as MK-savvy as we are, we managed around the crowds. We took the train around to Fronteirland to check out Big Thunder Mountain but it was closed for a bit, so we hopped on the Liberty Belle and had a leisurely ride around, then headed for the Haunted Mansion - no wait. Crowds were gathering for SpectroMagic, so we skirted around to Fantasyland where we walked right into Mickey's PhilHarmagic and then the boys went on Snow White's Scary Adventures. Wishes was getting ready to start, so we went back over to check BTMRR situation but it was a 40 min. wait, so we decided to grab some snacks, found a seat outside Country Bears and watched the fireworks.

Next the boys went on Aladdin (only had to wait for the one ahead of them to go) and then we did Pirates - the line was 12 minutes. BTMRR was STILL 40 minutes (and DH wasn't digested enough from his hot dog) so we moseyed on over to Tomorrowland. Buzz Lightyear had a huge back-up, so we did what we always do - got on the TTA :) While on the TTA we noticed that the Laugh Club was open (or whatever it's called - the new thing) so we went over there next and had to wait for one show to finsh and another to go before we got in, but the kids enjoyed the show (it was just ok for adults, I would say). We have a family-thing about Roz -- my DH always uses a Roz voice to mimic me because ONE TIME at Sam's Club, I said "we don't need that DVD - put that DVD back" to him and the kids and that's all I ever hear! So of course it was great fun for them since Roz has a big role in the show.

The queue for Buzz was non-existent by then, so DH and DS#2 smoked me and DS#1. They both hit the 100,000 point Z multiple times. One more check on BTMRR (it was 11:30 by then) and the line still said 40 minutes but it was more like 15 minutes, so we went. By then, the boys said they had had enough (and DH and I agreed!) so we left.

Fortunately we had thought ahead and had set up the boys' beds before we left so all they have had to do was shower and crawl in bed -- although our aerobed has somehow gotten a pin-hole leak in it, so DH is working on the patch right now. One DS is zzz'ing and the other just went to lay down on the other bed.

Tomorrow is "split apart day" where one boy / one parent spend the day together. Not sure what's in store for either of us adults - we're leaving it to the kids to plan. Our only plan is to meet back at OKW in time to make dinner. Oh, and I"m cooking biscuits for breakfast in a few hours :) So nice to have a kitchen!

Yes, as OKW was the first DVC, and a large resort, it was build in "phases" like SSR. They made the restroom door design change starting with Bldg 30. Bldgs 62, 63 & 64 are the newest bldgs at OKW and the only bldgs with elevators. They were built after the original sales center was demolished, and different wheelchair access laws were in place by the time they were constructed.

I love learning about the history and evolution of DVC! We own at SSR as we are celebrating our one-year anniversary as DVC-owners this week. We were on spring break last March, staying at POFQ when we decided to do the tour and subsequently bought. Then we added points in December so we'd have enough to move up to the 1-BRs and still come often enough to support our "habit." Our guide (Bobby Corsello) told me when we bought and again when we inquired about adding on that many people start out staying in studios and then they splurge for a 1-BR and end up adding on to be able to stay in a 1-BR all the time.

We really like SSR, but we'd gotten in the habit of staying at OKW in the studios because of the two double-beds vs. the bed / sleeper arrangements at the other resorts.

After a late night, we certainly didn't get an early start this morning. We slept well and got up around 8:30. I baked biscuits for breakfast and we figured out what we were doing for the day. I know I'll keep saying this, but it was SO nice to not be tripping all over each other getting ready this morning!

DS#1 and I spent the day together while DS#2 and DH went their way. We were at the bus stop when DS#1 remembered that we needed to return the DVD we borrowed yesterday, so we went back to the room and then walked up to Community Hall. We stopped by Concierge to make some ADRs and to see if we could find out about the Spike Room tour that is occasionally done at Wilderness Lodge. They couldn't find out anything but said they would leave us a msg when they tracked down the info.

Since DS#2 and DH aren't back yet, I can only report on 1/2 of our trip :) We took the bus to MK and I paid attn to the route and it's easier to go the way the buses go from OKW to MK than the way car traffic goes - I was interested because we usually drive when we go have breakfast at Whispering Canyon and the bus goes right that way, so I think we'll try it when we go later this week.

When we arrived at MK, the ferry, the monorail, the launch from Ft. Wilderness and several buses had all arrived at the same time. So many people you couldn't stir them with a stick. It took about 10 minutes just to get in - and that's with the finger-scan thing turned off. We went up to ride the train around first thing, and while we were waiting, DS#2 saw us - so we spent the first hour of our "split apart" day together :) We went to Toontown Fair where the boys rode Goofy's Barnstormer twice in a row with a less than 5 minute wait each time.

Next stop, Tomorrowland. A free cup of ice water at Cosmic Ray's (and a little listening to Sonny Eclipse) and then off to get a fast pass for Buzz Lightyear and then another viewing of the Laugh Floor. We only had to wait through one showing before our turn, and then when we were done, we had time for the TTA before our Buzz return time. Then we did Carousel of Progress before heading over to Adventureland. A quick stop for a Mickey ice cream bar for DS#1 (hey - you can have that for lunch when you're on vacation, right?) and a DoleWhip Float for me, and then we walked right into Tiki Room followed by a by-pass of everything else as the lines were backing up.

By then we were starting to fade and the crowds and lines were getting longer (up to this point we hadn't waited in any lines besides the Laugh Floor which I don't really count as a line), so we went to get a FP for BTMRR (it was just 40 minutes til time to use it and the queue was a 60 min. line). We did some pin trading with cast members, rode the train all the way around (a guaranteed 20 minute rest!), and then had a chance to ride BTMRR. There was a dad and young daughter right ahead of us - it was their first time on the ride, so I passed on my one and only tip for BTMRR -- adults should sit on the right-side facing fwd so as not to squash their little ones on the turns. I'm sure he thought I was a bit crazy, but after the first turn (they were right behind us on the ride), they were both smashed up on the right side, so I knew he knew I knew what I was talking about (geez, I think I just confused myself). They had a great ride and he said thanks so much for the tip. DS#1 and I were talking about how fun it is to see someone(s) enjoying their first experiences on things... definitely seeing some magic there! :wizard:

We were going to head over to WL to find out about the Spike Room tour but got side-tracked at the DVC kiosk for some pin trading. I asked if they knew anything about it and the one guy called and said it will be tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11:30 and told me how to call them for any other questions we had. DS#1 is a serious train / railroading fan and also a Disney lover (he did his 4th grade biography report on Walt). So DVC saved us a trip over, so we caught the OKW bus back and had a brief nap on the way back.

Now we're just relaxing waiting for the other two who are on their way back. DS is watching t.v. while I'm typing up this installment and pretty soon I'll start dinner. MGM has EMH tonight so it's open til 1 a.m. with Fantasmic at 8:30 and 10:00. I know we won't stay out til 1 a.m., but we do want to see Fantasmic as it's been several years since we saw it.

Anyway - thanks for reading! I hope to get some "around OKW" photos in the next day or so, so if there is anything anyone particularly wants to see, let me know and I'll see if I can snap it.

Thanks for the great "live" trip report. I want to be there, too. :sad: We bought just enough points for a studio every year, now I'm thinking we gotta add on. ;)

I would love to see some photos of the main pool area!!

I hope you are having a blast!! Enjoy your trip!:banana:

Great Report!

We will be staying at OKW for the first time!

Could you please take a picture of the living room area? Want to know if I can convince the girls to stay out there whilst I take over the bedroom!;)

j

Monday, March 19th, continued.

DH and DS#2 returned in time for us to make a quick dinner and then while DH rested, we walked over to HH so I could get a postcard and the boys could play at Community Hall. Both of the kid-computers were open, so they spent about 20 minutes playing and then had a rousing game or two of air hockey. We stopped by Concierge on the way back and I made ADR for Prime Time Café for dessert at 9:15. You can see how far ahead we're planning things for this trip (LOL).

We dilly-dallied around and then headed out at 7:30. We waited about 10 minutes for the bus and arrived at MGM a little after 8 p.m. We got our wrist bands for EMH and then headed over to the Great Movie Ride – but it was a long wait, so we went into One Man’s Dream which we haven’t done before. We enjoyed looking at the exhibits and the film was especially good. We spent most of an hour in there looking at things.

We went to Prime Time Café and ordered the Dad’s Brownie Sundae – I had forgotten that it has caramel popcorn on it – if I had, I would’ve asked to leave it off. The boys got a bit freaked out by it (yep, we were out past their bedtime). The Great Movie Ride had a 25-minute wait still, so we decided to just leave. It was just at 10 o'clock but after a late night Sunday, we thought it best to just go.

One thing that the boys like to do that they rarely do any more is ride the tram, so since we didn’t get to do GMR, we took a round-trip ride on the tram in the MGM parking lot before heading back to OKW for the night. Half an hour later and we have two fully-pruned clean boys fresh from the Jacuzzi-tub :)

About the other part of our split-apart day – they ended up doing most of the same things that DS#1 and I did only they went to Epcot for a few attractions, too. The new Finding Nemo thing, Spaceship Earth, and, of course, Toon Tag in Innoventions.

As for me, the oak pollen is about to get the best of me...

It's mostly cloudy today so if the sun comes out, I'll get some photos of the main pool area - if not today, then at least at some point before we leave.

And as for the liviing area - that's where we've camped out the boys - the DVD player is with the t.v. there rather than in the bedroom, so they've been able to watch tv or DVDs. What I really like is that the way it's set up, I can come through the kitchen area over to the dining table or to go out on the balcony without having to walk in front of the t.v. if they're watching something. I'll get some pictures, too - just excuse our stuff all around :)

Here's a picture of the living room:

WDWMarch2007057.jpg

and this one is from the corner between the two sofas toward the kitchen:

WDWMarch2007058.jpg

We slept in this morning as it was overcast and we were going over to Wilderness Lodge for breakfast at Whispering Canyon. We also stayed for the special talk offered by one of the conductors from the Magic Kingdom trains that is held the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 11:30 in the Spike Room in the lobby of the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. It's an hour long talk about the history of railroading and Walt Disney's love of trains. Not geared toward children, but school-agers who have been on field trips before can learn some things - DH and I found it to be informative. I had done the Magic Behind the Steam Trains tour several months ago with DS#1 who is 10+ so we had heard some of the information before. I definitely recommend it if you have the time and want some background info about Walt Disney or have an interest in railroading.

The rain started at some point around noon, so when we were done at VWL, we headed back for OKW for a rest and to stay dry. No sense in going out in the rain since we still have a few more days. The kids watched t.v., DH read and I took a nap.

We planned to go to MGM around 3, but the first bus that came was for EPCOT so we went over there instead. Turned out to be a good choice as the weather had cleared up and it was not crowded at all. We did Spaceship Earth (like always) and then spent some time in Innoventions West. The boys played ToonTag twice while I queued for Fantastic Plastics.

If you haven't done Fantastic Plastics before, it's really fun. You get to design a virtual robot to run through a course powered by YOU. We played teams, one parent with one child. Definitely a good way to burn energy from cooped up kids and they learn a thing or two, too. Afterwards you get to select plastic pieces to build yourself a robot. Good thing I took my carry-pack today because I had four robots to carry (I had it only because I took ponchoes just in case).

We tried out Innoventions East where we played the Liberty Mutual Fire Safety thing - again, a new thing for us and it was fun. You play in teams and get a safety-light that you shine on fire hazards in a virtual house. You play in two-man units so each person in your unit has to shine their light on the hazard before it catches fire. Kinda hard to describe, but don't by-pass it if you have time and kids (or no kids). We were heading out when the Great American Pizza game was getting ready to start, so we did that (sponsored by Farm Bureau - we're members). Again, you play in teams and it's like a matching game - you match two states and if they share a common product (like wheat, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.), then you get those items on your pizza. Whichever team gets the most matches wins.

We had our customary ride on Imagination followed by some time in Imageworks (including getting to do the photos - usually there are lines for them and today we found two empty ones right next to each other).

We stopped by the Finding Nemo ride - no wait - which was pretty cool and spent a little time watching the manatee before heading back to the resort. DS#1 has a goal of riding all types of Disney transportation on this trip, so we took the long way back -- the monorail to the TTC followed by the ferry to the MK and then the bus back to OKW.

We opted to make dinner in (spaghetti, bread, fruit salad) and then we baked brownies which are now cooling while kids are getting another long soak in the jacuzzi tub.
WDWMarch2007055.jpg

Tomorrow is our second "split apart" day - DS#1 goes with DH while DS#2 has plans for me. We're meeting up at the DVC Members Welcome Home Wednesdays thing over at the Boardwalk.

Thanks for reading! Tomorrow looks like it will be a beautiful day so I'll try to get those pool photos done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter