looking to do something special for my mom

Jmldavidson

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting even though I've been a lurker for years. I'm looking for something special to do for my mom on our trip in July. She will be turning 60 in June and we are doing a girls trip July 17-23rd. We are staying at the Beach Club in club level. A little backstory...My mom and Dad were planning a trip to Disney for the summer of 2018. They were talking about it on Valentines day 2017 over dinner when my dad became ill with a severe stomach ache and had to be taken to the hospital that evening. He ended up passing away 3 days later due to septic shock.
So we are planning and taking this trip to celebrate my dads life. This trip is all about what my Dad wanted (he loved the Beach Club, and we will be dining at all his favorite spots, and riding all his favorite rides) I would love to be able to do something special for my mom. To celebrate her 60th birthday, and to let her know how much her strength the last 2 years has inspired me. She loves all things Disney and is very open to trying new things. Unfortunately I don't have as much Disney experience as she does, so I thought reaching out to you all, the experts, would be my best bet. Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting even though I've been a lurker for years. I'm looking for something special to do for my mom on our trip in July. She will be turning 60 in June and we are doing a girls trip July 17-23rd. We are staying at the Beach Club in club level. A little backstory...My mom and Dad were planning a trip to Disney for the summer of 2018. They were talking about it on Valentines day 2017 over dinner when my dad became ill with a severe stomach ache and had to be taken to the hospital that evening. He ended up passing away 3 days later due to septic shock.
So we are planning and taking this trip to celebrate my dads life. This trip is all about what my Dad wanted (he loved the Beach Club, and we will be dining at all his favorite spots, and riding all his favorite rides) I would love to be able to do something special for my mom. To celebrate her 60th birthday, and to let her know how much her strength the last 2 years has inspired me. She loves all things Disney and is very open to trying new things. Unfortunately I don't have as much Disney experience as she does, so I thought reaching out to you all, the experts, would be my best bet. Thank you in advance!
Going to the BC with cl added is a great start!

There are so many things to do!

With cl dd and I often do a nice lunch at Epcot.

Or do a viewing of HEA /illuminations with a dessert party etc.

Do an early morning or late evening in the parks if she loves rides. (EMM /DAH)

They have those cool cars that are a boat at Disney springs and go for a ride!

Garden view tea room at the Grand Flo is a nice time.

Surprisingly Disney site itself has lots of information. Look at the dining section for fun options.

There are free stuff too. Leave MK around 8:30-8:45 pm and take the boat to GF. Don’t get off and stop on to poly then back to MK and watch the water parade from the boat. Or get off and watch from the resort and walk around etc .

It all depends on what Mom likes. Rides? Food? Adventure? Shopping? Water activities?

So sorry for your loss and....

:welcome: To the dis. Happy Planning too!

Your family has been through a lot....your WDW trip is bound to bring you much joy.
As for something special for your mom, I am trying to imagine what experience would be both fun and memorable for me..... certainly all personality dependent. Perhaps as a surprise designate a character meal as her special birthday dinner....and bring a prop (small banner? birthday crown? party hat? sash?) ....I expect the result would be characters fussing over her and fun photos.(and memories). Perhaps a little personalized celebration cake or slipper dessert (if available where you eat) could be waiting.

Last edited:

If you're staying at a Disney resort the first thing I recommend doing is going to Guest Services and tell them your story. Ask if there's something magical they can help you with and they will likely try to do so. Disney CMs love making magical moments but you have to find us and let us know. :)

I would also recommend doing this in the other parks as well. Upon entry find a Guest Service CM and see what they can help you with. Character Dining is always going to be an amazing idea and if you decide to do so try and see if the Cast Members will announce her birthday. You can also tell the Characters that come to visit you as well and they might do something extra magical for you. ;)

Make sure to pick up some 'Happy Birthday' Pins in any merchandise locations when you visit the parks as well!

I am so sorry to hear about your father. May he rip. But that is the reason I am taking my Trip. Had stomach pains last year went to er. Perferated intestine, septic shock. 3 weeks in a coma. Couldn't ealk for another month after. Decided that I got another chance at life and wdw I wanted.y last trip was with my father just before he passed. Celebrate his life and all the things Disney he loved. But don't forget to do things he would have just been happy to see u ladies enjoy. He is still smiling from above. Have a great trip

I’m sorry that happened to your father.

The first thing I thought of was going to the Japan pavilion and picking out a pearl to make it into some sort of jewelry or just keep the pearl. Pearls symbolize wisdom through experience so to me that would be nice. But if she’s not a jewelry person, maybe going and doing a desert party or the tea party would be just as amazing!

I am so sorry to hear about your father. May he rip. But that is the reason I am taking my Trip. Had stomach pains last year went to er. Perferated intestine, septic shock. 3 weeks in a coma. Couldn't ealk for another month after. Decided that I got another chance at life and wdw I wanted.y last trip was with my father just before he passed. Celebrate his life and all the things Disney he loved. But don't forget to do things he would have just been happy to see u ladies enjoy. He is still smiling from above. Have a great trip

That is exactly what happened to him. His bowel was perforated and ended up passing away from septic shock. I'm glad to hear you had a much better outcome. I hope your trip is full of wonderful joys and experiences.

I’m sorry that happened to your father.

The first thing I thought of was going to the Japan pavilion and picking out a pearl to make it into some sort of jewelry or just keep the pearl. Pearls symbolize wisdom through experience so to me that would be nice. But if she’s not a jewelry person, maybe going and doing a desert party or the tea party would be just as amazing!

This is so perfect. Thank you for such a wonderful idea!

If you're staying at a Disney resort the first thing I recommend doing is going to Guest Services and tell them your story. Ask if there's something magical they can help you with and they will likely try to do so. Disney CMs love making magical moments but you have to find us and let us know. :)

I would also recommend doing this in the other parks as well. Upon entry find a Guest Service CM and see what they can help you with. Character Dining is always going to be an amazing idea and if you decide to do so try and see if the Cast Members will announce her birthday. You can also tell the Characters that come to visit you as well and they might do something extra magical for you. ;)

Make sure to pick up some 'Happy Birthday' Pins in any merchandise locations when you visit the parks as well!

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! We will be staying at Beach Club July 16th-23rd. If I can sneak away from her for a minute I'll make sure to ask at guest services. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter