Looks Like COVID Will Mess With My Christmas

Ugh! So strange how some seem to test negative so quickly while other seems to take awhile to get the negative. Thank goodness for the free Covid tests. I’ll be using at least three more. One tomorrow. One Thursday. And another on Saturday before getting together for Christmas. I’ll also have my daughter that lives with me test on Saturday.
Yeah, we're a little flummoxed by it all. My daughter was wondering if her ONE positive test could have been false but I think that's rare. She had 3 negative home tests (RAT) days 1-2, one negative PCR, Day 3, then a postive home test (Day 3.5 I'd say). Now negative.

I’ve seen it counted as day 1 being first day of symptoms as well. But then saying masking through day 10, no mask day 11. If you count first day of symptoms as day zero then day 10 you no longer have to mask. So regardless first 5 days is isolation. Day 6-10 is masking.

I’m counting the day I tested as day 1 since it was late in the day that I first noticed a sore throat. I’ve also isolated the entire time. Since yesterday was the first day I felt well enough to do anything anyway.

Yes, sorry, I meant masking including day 10 too. I worded it badly. Glad you’re starting to feel better.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know everyone blood type
My 2 kids and I are B+ and have yet to get covid. Hubby forgets what type he is but hasn’t gotten covid either. Just returned from 9 days at WDW and thought our luck may run out. Figured at least we could all stay home this week if necessary. So far so good *fingers crossed* Flew home yesterday morning.

Yeah, we're a little flummoxed by it all. My daughter was wondering if her ONE positive test could have been false but I think that's rare. She had 3 negative home tests (RAT) days 1-2, one negative PCR, Day 3, then a postive home test (Day 3.5 I'd say). Now negative.

I agree, false positive tests are extremely rare. The issue with false negatives can be how much viral load you have, and if there’s not enough virus in the area of the nares being swabbed. I also think some of the variants show up sooner than others on the tests.

She had 3 negative home tests (RAT) days 1-2, one negative PCR, Day 3, then a postive home test (Day 3.5 I'd say). Now negative.
It took me about that long to show up positive on an antigen test when I had it last spring, and I had a negative PCR on day 2.

I hear you on messing with plans: my Mom was going to join us today, but finally tested positive this AM after several days of symptoms. My son had a bit of a cold, but consistently tested negative, and his sx have gotten better.

Praying for healing for all that have been mentioned.
So many sick! Blessings to all of you and your families.

Last edited:
Day #9 and still positive. The test line was actually more prominent today than yesterday.

@Christine do you know if hypothyroidism effects how the body clears the virus? I am wondering if this might be a reason that others are negative after a few days yet I am still hanging on to it like a long lost friend.

Day #9 and still positive. The test line was actually more prominent today than yesterday.

@Christine do you know if hypothyroidism effects how the body clears the virus? I am wondering if this might be a reason that others are negative after a few days yet I am still hanging on to it like a long lost friend.
Hey @disneychrista, sorry for the delayed response. No, I don't think it does unless you are severely hypothyroid. I think it's pretty typical for most people to take a while to clear the virus on a test. I took 13 days, my husband took about that many and most people I know took that long. My uncle took well over a month but he was in his 80s and immunocompromised.

I think some people clear it fast because they either didn't get a lot of nasal infection or their tests aren't that sensitive anymore to lower levels.

In my experience, most people are taking closer to 2 weeks to get a negative.

Day #10 and finally have a negative test, so back to work today. I missed 6 days of work and i imagine it’ll take a couple weeks to get caught back up.

In my experience, most people are taking closer to 2 weeks to get a negative.

Most everyone at work has tested negative within 5 days. I am definitely at outlier at 10 days.

Day #10 and finally have a negative test, so back to work today. I missed 6 days of work and i imagine it’ll take a couple weeks to get caught back up.

Most everyone at work has tested negative within 5 days. I am definitely at outlier at 10 days.
Interesting. Must be a feature of the new variant! I know back in 2022 when I had it, so many people were taking 12-15 days to get a negative.

Glad you got a negative test!

Interesting. Must be a feature of the new variant! I know back in 2022 when I had it, so many people were taking 12-15 days to get a negative.
You are right - my SIL had it in Jan of 2022 and it took her about 5 weeks? to get a negative and her employer did not let her come back until she was negative. She was VERY sick for a portion of it, but for like 2 weeks she was fine, but the test said otherwise, so she had to sit at home.

Glad you got a negative test!

You are right - my SIL had it in Jan of 2022 and it took her about 5 weeks? to get a negative and her employer did not let her come back until she was negative. She was VERY sick for a portion of it, but for like 2 weeks she was fine, but the test said otherwise, so she had to sit at home.
That is a long time on a home test--not unusual for a PCR though.

I had covid back in Sept and it took 5 days to test positive. I kept getting negative results and I decided on a whim to do one more test and sure enough it was positive. If I didn't do that last test, I would have thought I had a cold. This is one reason why I think it spreads so fast.

Before testing positive, I went out the the mall and ate in restaurants etc. because I thought I just had a minor cold. I felt okay, the scratchy throat went away after a day or two and I was mainly congested.

I think it's important to keep testing and to take precautions if you are sick with cold symptoms.

My husband & I had it after going to WDW for 4th of July. I tested + on the 10th, husband on the 12th. I was pretty sick for 2 weeks, husband was very sick for 24 hours, then a slight cough for a few more days. We both had strong + tests on the 24th, a weaker line on the 26th. Finally negative on the 31st. So 3 full weeks testing +, even tho he was feeling well for at least 2 weeks at that point.

I feel badly for you & others here that had to wait for a negative.
DH's work implemented a new rule this time last year that they
no longer had to test negative to return, as so many people
take weeks for that result.
Instead, they have to wait 5 days and then be symptom free to return.

Unfortunately, there is no rule that states someone w/symptoms
must test at home and show negative results in order to continue working.
There have been several workers who were obviously sick w/something
and nobody was told to go home and test, nor were they required to show
a test even though they were hacking, etc. saying, "This is the worst I've
ever felt in my life!" Um, yeah, GO HOME AND TEST!

Ours ended up being affected by Covid too. So far one person tested positive, now we are waiting to see who all gets it too. ugh.
One more was positive, but cautiously optimistic no more cases will emerge. A couple more people from the party were "coughy/sniffly" but were negative. *knock on wood* none of the rest of us seem to be affected.

take care all who have it and do your best not to share it with others. our household was exposed and contracted it in september 2022. then 25 year old had the mildest symptoms bounced back in days, dh and i both got the body aches, horrific brain fog and exhaustion-to this day he and i both get repeat episodes of the exhaustion. our oldest (then 28) was sick as a dog for several months and to this day still daily struggles with symptoms. long term covid is real and doctors are struggling trying to figure out how to treat the symptoms. i don't want to imagine how repeated bouts with covid impact long term health.

be safe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter