Loose vs. Lose!

... or snickering to yourself about your :worship: linguistic superiority.

I haven't noticed a single misspelling since you've been posting here, wallyb. Our good influence must be rubbing off on you.:rotfl:

LOL! S'okay Wally. You have a good opinion too! I'm one of those "word police" but I keep it pretty much in the closet. LOL!

No insult intended to anyone, just comments made in general.

I'm deadly with i-e combinations, myself. :teeth:

I haven't noticed a single misspelling since you've been posting here, wallyb. Our good influence must be rubbing off on you.:rotfl:

Yeah well, :rolleyes: don't think for a moment that I haven't been
checking and cross-checking as I go.

Give me time ... I'll faux pas up a storm.

Maybe you'll be there to apprehend me.:upsidedow

Funny thing is, I've always had a good grasp on vocabulary, and stink at spelling.
And I deeply empathize with others of the same ilk.:hug:

My high-school english teacher's name was Edna May Littlefield.
A spinster who ruled with an iron will. :eek: No one dared cross Edna!

Yeah well, :rolleyes: don't think for a moment that I haven't been
checking and cross-checking as I go.

Give me time ... I'll faux pas up a storm.

Maybe you'll be there to apprehend me.:upsidedow

Funny thing is, I've always had a good grasp on vocabulary, and stink at spelling.
And I deeply empathize with others of the same ilk.:hug:

My high-school english teacher's name was Edna May Littlefield.
A spinster who ruled with an iron will. :eek: No one dared cross Edna!

(pssst, wallyb, here's a secret...I often post in sentence fragments, and inappropriately use [...] , not to mention colloquialisms and regional phonetic spellings...check out my tags and location!)

FWIW, I am pretty much in accord with WallyB on this subject. I have read that there are at least 42 recorded spelling permutations of William Shakespeare's name alone. Which one is right? At this point, who could really say? :confused3
Our language is a living, evolving instrument and some of the more interesting developments can occur from unintentional malapropisms. I'm all for livin' dangerously, turning off that dang ole Spell-check, and goin' fer it. Heck-fahr, iffen it were good enuff fer Shaksbeard, Ah guess it's good enuff fer me. :rotfl:

Hi Guys and Gals , I am not getting all philosophical about language it just makes me laugh or cringe when people get it wrong , MYSELF included.

I was reading another board and read this.........

We bought direct from DVC last week for AKV and have been waighting on our paper work to come and finalize everything. We were told we would have it by last Friday and it didn't show. I called my guide and he said they are really busy at the moment and it'll be here by Wednesday. I won't to get started with my booking and feel there's nothing going to be available by the time we're finished.

FWIW, I am pretty much in accord with WallyB on this subject. I have read that there are at least 42 recorded spelling permutations of William Shakespeare's name alone. Which one is right? At this point, who could really say? :confused3
Our language is a living, evolving instrument and some of the more interesting developments can occur from unintentional malapropisms. I'm all for livin' dangerously, turning off that dang ole Spell-check, and goin' fer it. Heck-fahr, iffen it were good enuff fer Shaksbeard, Ah guess it's good enuff fer me. :rotfl:

Thanks Doll!
Glad someone :3dglasses at it my way.

A co-worker of mine just bought new window curtains and balances. ;)

And it is a very valid point of view. However, language is a basic necessity used by almost everyone, learned by almost everyone from birth. This is not the same with arts, sciences, etc. We live in social groups, within which we must communicate with one another. You would think that, by a certain age, most people would have a little better mastery of a language with which they were raised.

Being the product of Catholic grade school I was a phonics nightmare. :eek:

My sick sense of humor and irony resulted in my direct pronounciation in many situations just to make the absurd point. Irony and sarcasm were my weapons of choice.:lmao:

Years later our son was in a Pickerington, Ohio school system that allowed K-4 to be "inventive" to express themselves without the restrictions of worry they were miss-spelling things! I was giving the child constant guidance and his response was "Mom- they don't care...":confused3

Alas, the first week of 5th Grade the Spelling/Grammer Fairy reared her ugly head and smite each child who had played fast and loose with spelling and grammer. To this day my son (22 yrs) has issues with spelling that began in K-4.:confused:

Coca Cola will pay for a scoreboard on a sports field, not for reading or english tutors.

How often were we told to "sound it out" or "it's pronounced just like it is spelled"? It might work for the English Language.

I was just in Paris and was out having lunch. On the menu was "dinde" which is turkey. So I turned to my host and said: Oh, can I try the "din-day"?

The expression on her face was obvious: He's an IDIOT. :sad2:

I said, "WHAT?" :confused3

She said, "Are you wanting the turkey?" I said, "yes."

She said, "It's pronounced 'dahnd'." I said, "Maybe in France. But Grandma always said to sound it out. Din-day. See. Din. Day. Dinde."

Randall

:rainbow:

How often were we told to "sound it out" or "it's pronounced just like it is spelled"? It might work for the English Language.

I was just in Paris and was out having lunch. On the menu was "dinde" which is turkey. So I turned to my host and said: Oh, can I try the "din-day"?

I said, "WHAT?" :confused3

She said, "Are you wanting the turkey?" I said, "yes."

She said, "It's pronounced 'dahnd'." I said, "Maybe in France. But Grandma always said to sound it out. Din-day. See. Din. Day. Dinde."

Randall

:rainbow:

Hey! At least you were in PARIS! woo-hoo! Was the turkey yummy? BTW -- Parisienne's faces generally have that expression. I think they were born that way.:rotfl:

That's the catch. Her making it obvious that you had pronounced something differently than they prefer was a classic case of rudeness. Miss Manners would not approve.

Having a discussion about our pet peeves in a thread such as this does not ever mean to condone embarrasing someone on a personal level. THAT is worse than the misspelling, mispronounciation, incorrect word use...

I hope you enjoyed your dinday!

Interesting to read the earlier post about children being allowed to spell however they want so that their imagination etc is not hindered. My eldest son (26) was a product of that phase in the UK and his spelling is dreadful. For example he still gets mixed up between were and where and no spell check is much help with things like that. His younger brother (23) is a product of the time when the schools had realised the value of correct spelling and his writing is in a different class. Simon is sure that his errors have cost him jobs in the past because he's got things wrong on the application form but hasn't known so and therefore couldn't correct it.

I'm just very glad that I went to school back in the 1960s when we were made to write correctly and spelling tests were an accepted part of the school day ;)

My sister attended an elementary where they did not believe in correcting spelling errors unless the assignment was specifically "Spelling". It drove me batty to see her come home with theme papers FULL of errors! The teacher never even bothered to put a circle around the mistakes so my sister would know there were errors! :headache: It is fine for the teacher not to deduct points for errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar if the point is to write creatively. It is an enormous disservice to the students not to bring the errors to their attention! How is a child supposed to know something is incorrect? What if the words that are misspelled never come up on a spelling test? :confused3

Word usage is another problem. I saw the word "convince" in a thread title earlier. Since "convince" made no sense I would imagine the poster was going for "convenience". Yes, "convince" is a word, but if it isn't the proper word then the error is as bad or worse than a spelling error!

Recent sightings:
tantric acid (in teabags, to soothe a sunburn - instead of tannic acid)
Hue Hefner (well, those pajamas he wears are colorful :))

Recent sightings:
tantric acid (in teabags, to soothe a sunburn - instead of tannic acid)

Trippy!
thdizzy.gif

I think I dropped that once in art school :lmao:

Honestly, this thread is a place to vent and commiserate, not an attack on others. And being able to read and post on this thread makes it far less likely that I or another person sensitive to language errors will eventually snap and attack someone directly! :laughing:

Trippy!
thdizzy.gif

I think I dropped that once in art school :lmao:
Well, that explains a lot... :umbrella: Oh, wait - that reminds me of another one: "alot" is not a word. It's two words... but you couldn't tell by reading 90% of the posts that use it.

DISclaimer: I'm kidding. I don't even know wallyb.

I've gotten a kick out of this thread, but I am the first to admit that I do these things as well. I often hurry back to edit posts when I see an error I made because it drives me crazy to know that it's there. Now on to my contribution.

From the community board....

will the credit crunch afect you disney plans

just wanted to know with all the uncertenty around what your plans are

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter