Losing weight and getting healthy for my trip in January 2013

KayTom

Mouseketeer
Hello to all you DISers out there. This is the first time i've done a blog or something like it, so bear with me and let me know if i should do anything differently.

My name is Kayleigh. I'm 25 and live in the UK with my boyfriend Tom in my parents house while we are saving up for our own place.

Background
I've struggled with my weight since i hit puberty, though i was very slim before then. I was an early starter and felt very insecure to be different. In my teens i sustained a knee injury which resulted in me putting on a lot of weight as my eating habits didn't change but i was unable to exercise or even walk for a long time.

I did manage to lose weight before on the cambridge diet (shakes) but i put it back on and hated the taste. I've been wanting to lose some weight and feel better about myself for a little while and this year has brought all the motivation i could ask for. Birthdays, family trips, a wedding and then in January we are going to Orlando and plan to do Disney and Universal. I want to do them without struggling due to my weight.

Weight
Starting weight on July 5th 2012: 251.5lb
Current weight on October 31st: 242lb
Total loss:9.5

The Plan
So far i have been lightly adjusting my diet to get into the swing of things and i'm really pleased that i've lost half a stone so far :yay:

Since starting this blog, i've joined slimming world, which has been really fantastic. The other members are really supportive and i find the actual diet very manageable...i'm not even hungry, though i do still get cravings for naughty things.

Any questions, comments or encouragement will be gratefully received and if anyone wants to join me, please feel free.

Thanks for reading,
Kayleigh xx

Weight Tracker

07/05/12 - 251.5lb
08/09/12 - 244lb (-7.5)
08/16/12 - 243.75lb (-7.75)
08/23/12 - 243.5lb (-8)
08/30/12 - 243.5lb (-8)
10/31/12 - 242lb (-9.5)
11/13/12 - 241.5lb (-10)
12/04/12 - 240lb (-11.5)

Sickness bug making the rounds at the moment, so my 30 day shred has been delayed until Monday :sick:

Due to this i've not eaten very much, but i've also been very poor at drinking and i haven't been very mobile.

Feeling much better today and have had a really really busy couple of days at work. Other half's mum is over so we're going to visit with our neice and nephew which will be a workout on it's own and take the dog for a nice walk to prepare for getting back into it on Monday :)

Update
I've been a bit lax in updates, purely because there isn't a lot to say at the moment, lol.

I've not been too well, which i'm not sure if it is the bug that was going around or something else. Our weather has been very changeable with it constantly altering between warm and sunny, cloudy or pouring with rain, so that could have something to do with it.

I've had a few headaches, a lot of nausea and dizziness and some sickness, which has made things a bit awkward. I have a doctor's apt tomorrow though and i can't wait as this has been going on for the last 2-3 weeks. Before anyone thinks it, no i do not think i'm pregnant, lol.

Exercise and Weight
As long as all is well, i'm going to go on the xbox kinect tomorrow evening. I am loving the Star Wars game...mostly the dancing section, lol, but it really works up a sweat and is an all over workout. Then i'll start the 30DS on monday.

So far, i've maintained my weight this week as i haven't been eating much, but i haven't been doing a lot either as some evenings after work i've had to go straight to bed :(

In September i have an appointment with the dietician at the hospital, which i'm looking forward to, but also quite nervous about. I'm really not sure what to expect. I've been trying to lose weight for myself, but also because my Dad had a heart attack in November so i want to be as healthy as possible. My GP offered me the free dietician appointment because of this and also because i'm on the contraceptive pill so i have to watch my weight.

Exciting things to come!
My wonderful boyfriend has booked me in for a full body massage friday afternoon which i'm really looking forward to. Can't wait! He also took me to TGI Friday's on saturday night and i had the new york strip with JD glaze. He had a burger. It was wonderful, he's such a sweetheart!

In 2 weeks he's taking me away for a long weekend for my 26th birthday. I'm really excited, but it's a surprise location so i don't know very much. It's in England, it's less than 2 hours by train, he's had someone make me a cake and we can take our swimsuits if we like, haha!

His birthday is in November...i have no idea how to make it as special as he is making mine, but i'm working on it.

Then a week after my birthday, my Mum and I are going to Ireland to visit my Mum's family for a week. My Granny isn't very well, but she'll be 96 this month so i can't complain. It's a bittersweet trip.

Coming up next
Tomorrow is my official weigh in day.

I don't think my weight will have changed any but i've had 2 litres of water today, a banana for breakfast, healthy lunch and will be having a healthy dinner and taking Chippy (12yo springer spaniel) out for a walk.

I'll let you know xx

Quick update!

I've just been to tesco and bought zumba for the kinect.

My plans....though my motivation disappears into a deep dark hole when i have to get out of my amazingly comfy bed....are to start getting up with my boyfriend at 6:30 and doing 30-60 mins of exercise in the morning.

This will give me time to wake up properly, do my exercise, eat breakfast, have a shower and get myself ready for work. I am a beauty therapist, so appearance matters in my job, another reason i'm looking forward to losing weight :)

Weigh in day

My weigh in this morning revealed i had lost the grand total of a quarter pound, lol. Better than i expected i suppose and a loss is a loss after all.

I won't be changing my ticker today though, i'll wait until it's a whole pound.

I have the doctor in less than an hour so i'm really looking forward to hearing what they say...fingers crossed xx

Doctor's results

It turns out that i have a viral infection which is why i've been feeling so dizzy and sick. My body will fight it on it's own, but it can take several weeks. I don't need to go back unless i have a severe relapse.

I'm so relieved!

Gotta run to work now. See you all later xx

I've been so spoilt today by my gorgeous man! He treated me to a lovely full body massage at the local salon. It was heaven...i had so many knots and now they are all gone and i'm floating on air :)

Having a nice day off exercise today, but i've had plenty of water and fruit and generally been good otherwise. Back to it tomorrow xx

Having a great time playing on my kinect zumba and star wars games...omg does it make you sweat! Attractive i know, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I've actually reached that point where i want water now. If i need a drink, that's what i grab out of the fridge. I keep a 1.5 litre bottle at work to drink every day and have at least the remaining 0.5 when i get home.

I'm also staying away from fizzy drinks without a battle. Coca cola has always been my downfall, even more so when my bf moved in and started keeping a 6 pack in our room. It was just so easy to reach for a can rather than go downstairs for something else, but not anymore. Also, if i do have one for some reason, i can leave it at one and not get the craving for more and more. :thumbsup2

My bf is helping too, by asking me if i want anything when he goes downstairs, suggesting water and not asking me if i want coke.

I have Mondays off work, so tomorrow i'm going to get up early, go to the dentist (crown fitting, ugh) and then work my butt off on the kinect. This hot weather is really motivating me too...there is nothing worse than feeling like you want to cover up when it is so warm and sunny.

In the evening we're going to the cinema with friends, which should be fun even though neither of us is really bothered about the film...the new bourne, supremecy maybe?

Oh and i've had a couple of great boosters recently. We dressed up for a night out last weekend and i felt great and was told i looked great. Yesterday my Mum was telling me how you can see that i've lost weight and she is my harshest critic...she doesn't mean to be, she just has absolutely no tact whatsoever, lol :rolleyes:

Finally, i wore a dress out shopping today without a cardigan for the first time in about 2 years i'd say.:cheer2: Some of the ladies will understand when i say that i feel uncomfortable about my upper arms and that back fat you can get where your bra strap is...not anymore!!! I was so nervous before we went out, but it's so hot. I felt a little brave and tried it on to test and my bf was like WOW, i love it when you wear a dress, please don't change...so i didn't. I wouldn't be lying or exagerating if i said i felt a kind of euphoria today.

Each day i'm getting a little bit closer to my goal and my dream xx

Post-Dentist

Not feeling quite so motivated to exercise any more, lol. Crown fittings apparently are uncomfortable, require injections (shudder), make me come pretty close to gagging, take ages and leave me with smooshes of dried icky stuff all over my face. I'm feeling sexy right now, can ya tell?

New plan - relax a bit with Once Upon A Time season 1, which is new to the UK and i am in love with right now...possibly nap since i am feeling so bleurgh. Then hopefully wake up feeling much more me, so i can then get some exercise in xx

I hope you feel better from your dentist apt! Yuck!!

I feel you on the soda problem. I'm a huge soda junky and I'm trying to cut it out. I ran out on Friday and by last night I had a huge headache from no caffeine. It's kind of a good reminder of how bad it is considering what happens to me when I'm out of soda!

Good luck!

Thankyou, i'm feeling fantastic now, no problems thanks goodness :)

I hate that caffeine headache, the same with sweet things.

I had a good ole rest yesterday and managed to feel better to go to the cinema. We saw the Bourne Legacy and although i did like the trilogy, this didn't hold my interest at all. Luckily it was only £5 per ticket and it was nice to get dinner and chat with our friends.

I've been working hard today and i've been such a good girl, lol. I'm really hoping the scales shift downwards on Thursday as they seem to be a bit stuck.

On a sidenote, my aunt (uncle's wife) died today and although i didn't really know her, (very large family) i'm feeling quite off. I feel a bit like i'm in mourning for my Uncle, his sons and their sons. They just celebrated their golden (50th) wedding anniversary about 3 weeks ago and i can't imagine how it must feel to spend 50+ years of your life with someone for them one day to be gone. She had a massive heart attack on sunday and was on life support since.

As sad as i feel for them, it is a reminder about how lucky we were with my Dad's heart attack and emphasises the importance of getting healthy!

Well, i'm off to get my waxing done now...that should remove a couple pounds ;) xx

It sounds like you're making great progress! I'm sorry that you've been ill, that's no fun and doesn't make anything easy.

When will you be in Disney? Marathon weekend is January 11-13, there's a lot of interesting health and fitness things at the Expo in ESPN WWOS. My fiancé is also trying to get in shape and is running the 5k on that Friday as a goal.

It sounds like you're making great progress! I'm sorry that you've been ill, that's no fun and doesn't make anything easy.

When will you be in Disney? Marathon weekend is January 11-13, there's a lot of interesting health and fitness things at the Expo in ESPN WWOS. My fiancé is also trying to get in shape and is running the 5k on that Friday as a goal.

Thankyou! I feel great now, luckily.

We will be flying to Orlando on January 10th and leaving on the 19th. We are staying offsite but will probably be in Disney after the marathon weekend, however we might come over sooner for just a little look around.

That's fantastic for your fiance :thumbsup2 Lots of luck to her. (I'm assuming Chris is a man's name, but if i'm wrong please correct me!) Will you be running too? Is she just aiming to get healthy or does she want to lose some weight? I can imagine with a wedding coming up, you both want to look and feel your best. When is the big day?

A couple of years ago, when i was in better shape i ran/walked a 13mile marathon in Dublin, but it nearly killed me! I don't think i was built to run, haha, i can do exercise classes, dancing, aerobics, cycling...but running...not so much. I really struggle to get my breathing right, which then makes my chest and back ache...but i don't have this problem with any other sport or exercise. Maybe i'm just a weirdo, lol :rotfl:

Update

This weekend is a bank holiday in England so my Dad's side of the family all decided to go to the beach today.

We had a fantastic time and although there was no set exercise for today, i did lots of walking and plenty of exercise with running around with my bf's neice and nephew :thumbsup2

It's about an hour and a half away so there was also a lot of driving and i didn't make particularly good food choices today. Something to keep in mind for the next family event.

Saturday is my 26th birthday and i'm really excited for it and for my romantic weekend away :woohoo: I can't wait to find out where we are going! Only 3 days at work this week.

Then i'm back to work for a week before jetting off to Ireland. Last time we went i was really good at sticking to healthy food and water so i'm going to make sure i keep that in mind.

We're going to Ireland to visit my family, my Granny in particular who celebrated her 96th birthday yesterday!!! Yep you read that right... 96 ... what a woman. Here's hoping i improve my lifestyle and take after her :hug:

No change i weight, but tonight i've felt a shift in my motivation.

I must admit, as difficult as it is, that i've been slipping a bit. I haven't drunk quite as much water, had a coke here or there, not eaten quite as well, blah, blah, blah.

I tried on a dress i have for a wedding on the 21st and although the dress is gorgeous and fits me ok...i wanted to be slimmer and for it to just fit better!

I'm also being treated by my incredible man this weekend to three nights on a beautiful estate by the seaside, which has lovely walks, tea rooms, a carvery and just sounds fabulous. Seaside = swimsuit. After trying it on...not so happy.

I was ready to get upset and felt quite despondant...

....But then Tom asked me what was wrong. I felt embarrassed to tell him, but he gently took my chin in his hand, tilted my head and said "You have beautiful eyes and i want to see them, look at me. What's wrong?"

How can you resist that?

After i told him, he reminded me that i can't be sad because tomorrow we go away for my birthday weekend. We're going to eat what we want and do what we want and spend some quality time alone together. (We live with my parents) He also said, that i should remember this feeling though, because on Tuesday we'll be home and getting back to it.

He is SO right. I refuse to let my life be ruled by my embarrassment about my body. He finds me attractive and is relatively sane, so i'm sure other people aren't horrified by my appearance, lol. I will continue losing weight, but i will enjoy every day up until i hit my target weight too. I'm beautiful now and i will be beautiful and confident when my Disney holiday comes around, with photopass pics to prove it!

Have a great weekend everybody! I know i will and i will tell you all about turning 26 when i get back xxx

Hey everybody, i'm back from a wonderful long weekend away with my man :) I am now 26.

The only problem was on the scales....ouch! Hopefully they'll have recovered by my weigh in day on Thursday. Fingers crossed. I've had so much water today, hoping to detox it out of me. I was really naughty though...homemade birthday cake, lots of coke, eating whatever i liked.

We had a great time and did a lot of walking, thank goodness or the scales could've been worse. They're showing that i've put on 4lb at the moment, so at least it wasn't 7, i guess.

All that walking has made me see how much i need to work my way up to some serious walking...i'm sure my spaniel would enjoy it too. I wore my shape-up sketchers trainers that i've had for a few months and thought i'd broken in....mistake! I got blisters on the inner arch of my foot just below the ball/pad beneath the big toe. Big enough that i had to pop it because it was so painful.

The next day i thought i'd wear a dress and wear some ballet pumps. There wasn't going to be quite so much walking and it should be fine. Nope...blisters on both my baby toes, below the nail on the knuckle area. Ow!!! Had to pop those too. Gross, i know. I then put socks on over my tights and put my trainers back on, but i think i pulled the look off as my dress was very casual, lol.

Had a bit of a drama when we got home. The first few hours were fine, very chilled. Tom went to get something from downstairs and said my Mum was talking about going to Ireland sooner....

My Mum is from Ireland and all her family are over there, including my Granny who just turned 96 and isn't very well. Mum and I are due to go over on Sunday.

... So i went down to talk to her, only to find her in tears. Granny had to be sedated as she hasn't been sleeping and is crying a lot. She doesn't understand what is wrong with her (organs are shutting down, combined with severe pneumonia) and has been getting herself into a state. It won't be long til we lose her, but it could be today, next week, next month, the doctors don't know.

Poor Mum was crying telling me this and saying that she wants to go now, so i said fine, i'll change the tickets and we'll go tomorrow if thats what you want.

Family definitely comes first for me. Work is just work and even though i adore my job it will never stop me from being there for my family.

Just as i was about to change the tickets (costing an extra £200 OUCH) my cousin called and said that she doesn't think we need to rush and that we should just wait till Sunday as planned because all Granny is doing is sleeping.

They were the magic words Mum needed to hear. She calmed down and decided that they should text her in the morning and if it was bad we'd change our flights and if not, we wouldn't. So far so good. Granny is sleeping a lot and my Aunt who looks after her and my cousin have been able to get some sleep too.

Hopefully Mum will get a good night's rest tonight as last night she was too worried to sleep. I on the other hand, was absolutely exhausted, whether from the drama or our weekend i'm not sure but i was out like a light.

My plans for this evening are to get some dinner, i'm starving after being so good today, and to take the dog to the park. I might even fit in some zumba. I've got to prepare myself for weigh in day...dun dun DUN!!!

Fair warning * Get yourself a cuppa, it's going to be a long one *

Ok, firstly my weight hasn't changed at all since my last blog :( Oh well, at least it hasn't gone up :)

I've joined the Biggest Loser Fall Challenge and am very excited about that! Anyone trying to tackle the winter weight should join.

I went to Ireland on Sunday. My Granny burst into tears when she realised who my Mum was and that we had come to see her, she was so happy. She always thinks she won't live long enough to see her again, bless her heart.

It was a lovely reunion with her, my aunt, and my cousin in particular and a lot of other family members to boot. I also got to meet two new little baby cousins, both boys, who are the children of two of my cousins. They are 8 months and 2 months...so cute!

Monday morning the nurse comes round as usual, she comes 3 or 4 times per week. My Granny's heart is too fast, too slow, then just right. Nurse checks her bedsore on her bottom and is pleased with that and does a few more checks and talks with my aunt. When she leaves she passes her findings onto the Doctor who calls and says that she wants us to take my Granny to hospital for some checks.

At 3pm we leave the house, get everyone in the car and the wheelchair in the boot, go to the Dr and pick up a form then head to the hospital. It turns out she has low sodium and is a little dehydrated, which we could tell as she was having trouble keeping her teeth in...so funny, but not really. They say they are keeping her in overnight to put a drip in and are waiting for a bed. At 10pm we're still waiting.

The coffee shop has been closed all day. Mum gets the nurse to give Granny a cup of tea and something to eat while we head to a nearby shop to find something for ourselves. We're starving and it's been a long, boring, butt-numbing day, plus we had to convince my Granny to stay overnight which is so so difficult. She hates it and she gets confused.

11pm we get a bed so we're taken upstairs and settled in. Granny is not happy and doesn't want to stay. She'd forgotten and it took a lot of convincing that it was just for one night to make her better then we'd take her home in the morning. But the nurse has been told something different...she's been told no drip, they are going to do it slowly over 3 weeks and the calming xanax my Granny takes that we were told would be doubled hasn't been put on her form at all.

Hell is ready to break loose! The nursing staff are lovely, sweet, caring people so we don't want to get mad at them at all, we were just exhausted and messed around by this point. The nurse phones the doctor who agrees that she forgot the xanax so Granny can have that and says she will be up shortly to talk.

At 11:30 the male nurse takes pity on us and brings tea and biscuits. Granny is starting to drift off, thank goodness. By 12:00 the nurse rings her again and she says she isn't able to come...GRRR...she does speak to my aunt over the phone and we have an appointment to see her the next day.

We get home at 1am, have a cuppa and crawl into bed. The next day Granny's doctor is changed to the same lady who looked after her last time she was in, who decides she is going to put her on a sodium drip and is not happy with the other doctor. This means Granny has to stay an extra night. She isn't happy and is so confused that she forgets the conversation constantly so you keep having it. Praying calms her, but she struggles to remember them so you have to say them with her.

The next day she is looking great, the doctor decides that she hasn't had quite enough sodium and is going to give her another drip. All her tests have come back good, healthy heart, lungs, etc.

By the evening Granny is very, very confused getting herself in a complete muddle, doesn't recognise any family members, thinking her son is her dead husband and my Mum, her daughter, is a nurse.

Next day they say she has an infection but her usine came back clear. They are giving her intravenous antibiotics. She had an awful night. They tried to sedate her, but it wasn't taking until suddenly at about 7am she fell into a deep sleep and barely woke all day. She looked like she wasn't going to make the morning. Very pale and waxy looking.

The day after that, actually it is a urine infection. She is awake and sitting up but very dazed and confused. They say the infection is causing the confusion to worsen. Her tummy is very swollen and painful so they take her to x-ray and show that when she is going to the bathroom not enough urine or faeces is coming out, so they put a catheter in and drain over 1 litre of fluid. Her tummy goes down immediately and she feels much better. She doesn't remember she has a catheter and gets upset in the evening that she hasn't been to the bathroom so the nurse brings in a comode for her to do a number 2.

The next day is awful! She've confused when we go in at lunchtime. Granny recently turned 96, she was telling us she was 90...then 50...then 95 and kept talking about her birthday party. Eventually we leave for an hour to get dinner before coming back in the evening. She tells me she is 25 and heartbroken. Then she says she is going to meet my Grandad who is dead 11 years now..it sounded like she meant she was dying. She kept asking about him and i had to leave the room for a little while as i was just in tears.

My cousin sat with her and she was certain he was her husband. She was asking if he was going to take her home and was adamant she was going to be wherever he was. She would only stay if he would, it wasn't fair to leave her here with strangers, etc. She tried to get up so she could leave and my uncle rushed over to help my mum keep her calm. My cousin got up to get out of the way and Granny turned mental in the thought Grandad was leaving her. She punched my Uncle hard enough to make him stumble and was really lashing out. We managed to get her in bed and her voice which previously was very croaky was strong now as she was screaming "I'm going to kill you...and you...and myself" among other things. I got the nurse who decided to give her a sedative. About 45 minutes and 20 prayers later she fell asleep and we left.

That night she didn't sleep particularly well and started scratching and biting the nurses. We flew back home and got a message from my aunt saying that Granny punched her in the chest. The nurses started talking about a Cat scan.

Yesterday we got the call that the infection is resisting any efforts to reduce it and that everyone should come and seen Granny soon as this is it. She will die over the next week.

Her dignity and memory have been taken from her. She's often been in tears from the confusion, hurt and fear of being away from home. We were praying that God would take her instead of letting her suffer through all of this so i'm grateful but all the same, i'm broken hearted that this time has come...I don't know if i will go to the funeral. It means another week from work and my parents don't think i should. They say that the funeral is so sad and isn't important. The important thing is that i was there when it counted and i was there to see her this week. I hope she is taken quickly now and rejoined with my Grandad and her younger sister who she loved dearly.

She was such a wonderful, good woman. They broke the mold with her. She had 7 children and adopted 3 and still managed to cycle the 30 minute car journey into town every Sunday to the hospital to visit with sick patients. She was the first woman in Ireland to recieve redundancy pay. She never raised her voice, her fists or herself to anger and she loved her husband, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren with all her hear. This woman should have never had to suffer and the world would be a better place if there were more like her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter