Luminous thoughts

So what is your opinion the place to experience the theme of this? I am not getting a good feeling of this fireworks display and was so excited to see they added it. Oh well, still will see it when we go in July.

It can be hard to judge new shows at first. A show like Illuminations grew more and more special to me over the years. It took many trips before Fantasmic captured my heart. Look what happened when Wishes first changed over to Happily Ever After - the same park fans that initially felt disappointed ended up becoming huge fans, it took seeing it multiple times to bond with the message.

Thank you for sharing this! I recommend everyone read it before commenting on the show. My daughter and I were there Tuesday night and loved it. As we were driving home from the airport last night, before reading this article this morning, we expressed some of the same points -- that the "loss" section evokes not just death, but all kinds of human loss. And that we loved how they could evoke feelings and meaning with just the movement of water, light, and colors.

I don't disagree with some of your points, and I completely respect that others will have have differing points of view. But we were there, and truly enjoyed the show, as did the people around us.

"When Somebody Loved Me" is SUPPOSED to be sad. It is used during the section about human loss, which is an inevitable part of the human experience, as the narration (which we thought really enhanced the show) explained. We, and all the people around us, audibly gasped when that section started, because of the emotional impact.

As for being close enough to see the surface of the water, that has always been the case for Epcot shows, to truly experience them.

I also loved Illuminations with my whole heart, and I wish it was still there. But I was open to Harmonious, and enjoyed it (or at least parts of it), but it didn't resonate with me emotionally. Luminous did, and although I am not yet ready to say it's a worthy IROE replacement, I hope that you watch it in person with an open mind and heart. If you still don't like it, then so be it, but I think you might be surprised.

It will be a view of a few high pyrotechnics, that's it. And no matter which show, I've always only barely been able to hear any music from that spot. I highly recommend trying to see it inside the park.
I love what you had to say since you were there. We’ll be there in a year and we’ll definitely go see it to get better opinion. Thank you for your post 🙂

"When Somebody Loved Me" is SUPPOSED to be sad. It is used during the section about human loss, which is an inevitable part of the human experience, as the narration (which we thought really enhanced the show) explained. We, and all the people around us, audibly gasped when that section started, because of the emotional impact.

As for being close enough to see the surface of the water, that has always been the case for Epcot shows, to truly experience them.

I also loved Illuminations with my whole heart, and I wish it was still there. But I was open to Harmonious, and enjoyed it (or at least parts of it), but it didn't resonate with me emotionally. Luminous did, and although I am not yet ready to say it's a worthy IROE replacement, I hope that you watch it in person with an open mind and heart. If you still don't like it, then so be it, but I think you might be surprised.

It will be a view of a few high pyrotechnics, that's it. And no matter which show, I've always only barely been able to hear any music from that spot. I highly recommend trying to see it inside the park.
I get it, but I don't go to Disney to be reminded of loss and human suffering. I go to escape that! They need to stop trying to be so "deep and introspective" all the time - it's a fireworks show!

I like the fireworks. I've watched 2 videos and so far not wowed by it. Hoping it will be better in person. I do think it is a step up from EPCOT Forever and HarmoniUS.

What was good about harmonious is that those barges were huge. Yeah they were an eye sore during the day, but when it's show time they're clear to see and enjoy from many spots around the lagoon. Feels like I'd need binoculars for this new show, those fountains look sooo tiny in those videos! Hope I'm wrong when I see it in person.

Grade: B+

Saw it tonight from the American pavilion and loved it. I was all ready to board the This Sucks bandwagon but I just can’t. I did not watch any videos before seeing it, I did read comments on it and saw the fireworks in testing a couple nights ago from CSR GDT. I also didn’t stake out a spot, just stopped to watch as it started. I enjoyed the music, I liked how they integrated just a touch of foreign language, I enjoyed recognizing songs but also the different takes on them, the fireworks were pretty good, the lasers and water effects were Awesome. This show needs to be seen from the lagoon. A couple rows of people back was fine but from outside the park I don’t think it will show well.

Fwiw… I never really paid attention to Illuminations so I’m not coming from a viewpoint of comparing it to that. I saw Harmonious the night it soft debuted and despised it. Like I hated so much about it, and I think for me Luminous fixed most of that. I felt Harmonious was World of Color on a Disneyfied drug trip due to the robot arms and weird screens with a dose of cringe worthy use of foreign languages.

The only reason I give this show a B level instead of an A is the narration. Shut up already!! Tell me what I’m feeling by song not words (unless the words are moving, beautiful, to the point and voiced by like Julie Andrews- none of which these were).

I get it, but I don't go to Disney to be reminded of loss and human suffering. I go to escape that! They need to stop trying to be so "deep and introspective" all the time - it's a fireworks show!
Okay, fair enough. I personally love the gamut of human feelings this show evokes. It's a journey. If all I want is a "fireworks show" I'll go to my local theme park. The way that Disney shows make me feel deeply is one of the things I love about them most.

But then, I'm a sappy old grandmother, so there's that...

Grade: B+

Saw it tonight from the American pavilion and loved it. I was all ready to board the This Sucks bandwagon but I just can’t. I did not watch any videos before seeing it, I did read comments on it and saw the fireworks in testing a couple nights ago from CSR GDT. I also didn’t stake out a spot, just stopped to watch as it started. I enjoyed the music, I liked how they integrated just a touch of foreign language, I enjoyed recognizing songs but also the different takes on them, the fireworks were pretty good, the lasers and water effects were Awesome. This show needs to be seen from the lagoon. A couple rows of people back was fine but from outside the park I don’t think it will show well.

Fwiw… I never really paid attention to Illuminations so I’m not coming from a viewpoint of comparing it to that. I saw Harmonious the night it soft debuted and despised it. Like I hated so much about it, and I think for me Luminous fixed most of that. I felt Harmonious was World of Color on a Disneyfied drug trip due to the robot arms and weird screens with a dose of cringe worthy use of foreign languages.

The only reason I give this show a B level instead of an A is the narration. Shut up already!! Tell me what I’m feeling by song not words (unless the words are moving, beautiful, to the point and voiced by like Julie Andrews- none of which these were).
Was there tonight too, but in Canada, and I agree with you. Only difference is I saw Illuminations many times - DS loved it (historical geography major). I think it brought back much of what was good about Illuminations. And I'm not even sure I can put my finger on it. Less big boom in the sky with more of a connection to the world showcase. I liked when the countries were lit and became part of it. I loved the water/laser/fireworks interacting together. It wasn't flashy like MK, it was a more intimate. Def need to be there just like you did with Illuminations. With all the complaints about death and depression in the middle, I didn't feel like it was doom and gloom. I think the show is trying to be something folks can connect to though music accompanied by beautiful colors in different mediums. It is more artsy and I know that isn't for everyone.

I am pretty hard on Disney "shows" like this and after reading the lukewarm reviews I expected to not like it. Honestly we almost didn't go, we had gone back got hotel after AK day. We decided to go more to ride Glimmer Living with the Land. But I did like it and I also think you have to be along the lagoon to feel it. Is it huge and flashy? No. But the finale is better than anything they've done since Illuminations.

Last edited:
I saw it tonight in person and loved it. I thought the fountains were gorgeous. I intentionally didn't watch any videos ahead of time, so I can't say how they appear on video. I was standing in between Japan and Morocco and had a really nice view. I loved how the fireworks interacted with the fountains. Then when spaceship earth joined it, it was even better. Turning it into the globe was a nice touch which I really loved.

I didn't care for Harmonious at all - it was just too much. Too much ugly hardware during the day, weird octopus arms swirling around at night and you could only view it properly from a few places. And the music started at a 10 and stayed there which was grating. This show seems more subtle which I appreciate - a huge improvement for me, at least. I can't wait to see it again. My only note is that I would prefer more original music, but we all know that was never going to happen. The original music they did include was beautiful.

Then when spaceship earth joined it, it was even better. Turning it into the globe was a nice touch which I really loved.
I didn’t even know Spaceship Earth played a role! So viewpoint does matter with this one too, a bit. We were standing in front of Canada so it would’ve been impossible. Well now I want to see it again properly!

Paul McCartney once said he doesn't mess with his songs because he wants his audiences to ALWAYS be able to sing along.

"I See the Light" is mine and DH's favorite song and the new arrangement took me out of the moment.

Other than that....

It reminded me a lot of Rivers of Light from a style POV.

The narration is overdone because so many people didn't "get" Rivers of Light without it, maybe? Just a thought.

I liked the original songs.

I LOVED SPACESHIP EARTH TURNING INTO A GLOBE!

I also loved the "welcome" from each country.

I get the musical "journey" they were trying to take us on but "When She Loved Me" was a bad choice because other than myself, I've never heard anyone else say they liked it and Jesse seems to not get very much love.

Saw the show last night from the Japan pavilion and thought it was ok, liked it better than Harmonious, but not my favorite show. The loss section really didn't seem to go over well with the crowds around us, there was this awkward silence at the end of that section until someone nearby muttered something along the lines of "glad that parts over" and everyone around burst out laughing. I did like the original songs though, and the fireworks were stunning!

One thing that was disappointing was after the show as people were leaving they were playing movie songs in world showcase, no more Epcot soundtrack. Was bad enough when they stopped playing tapestry of nations after the fireworks, but I'm really not a fan of this now!

Saw the show last night from the Japan pavilion and thought it was ok, liked it better than Harmonious, but not my favorite show. The loss section really didn't seem to go over well with the crowds around us, there was this awkward silence at the end of that section until someone nearby muttered something along the lines of "glad that parts over" and everyone around burst out laughing. I did like the original songs though, and the fireworks were stunning!

One thing that was disappointing was after the show as people were leaving they were playing movie songs in world showcase, no more Epcot soundtrack. Was bad enough when they stopped playing tapestry of nations after the fireworks, but I'm really not a fan of this now!

Ugh no! I was really hoping they wouldn't go the route of music from Disney movie soundtracks. You can get that at the other parks. I've always loved Epcot because I didn't throw IP on everything but I guess that is changing

It can be hard to judge new shows at first. A show like Illuminations grew more and more special to me over the years. It took many trips before Fantasmic captured my heart. Look what happened when Wishes first changed over to Happily Ever After - the same park fans that initially felt disappointed ended up becoming huge fans, it took seeing it multiple times to bond with the message.
I definitely like this one better on watching it the second time. I do think where you watch it from matters. My first viewing was behind one of the islands in Japan with trees in the way and it felt completely unmemorable. But then I watched the second time with an unimpeded view and it was much more impactful. Still find the narration overkill. And there are definitely some weird spots. But overall it’s very beautiful to watch.

Yeah, this always happens. Basically the criticism is, "It's not _________!" - in this case Illuminations. I agree that Illuminations is a high bar - very! That doesn't make anything new bad though. Heck, I really liked Harmonious during the show - it was awesome! Those barges though - if they could have moved them in and out like they do with these, that would have been perfect.

Note: I have not yet seen LuminoUS and am keeping myself relatively spoiler-free until I can see it in person.

Last edited:
Ugh no! I was really hoping they wouldn't go the route of music from Disney movie soundtracks. You can get that at the other parks. I've always loved Epcot because I didn't throw IP on everything but I guess that is changing
They brought the IPs in to EPCOT (starting with Frozen characters) to get all the families there that were skipping that park.

I hear you though but I think you've got as much luck with that as I have with getting Hall of Presidents out of the Magic Kingdom to EPCOT where it belongs. I don't go to Magic Kingdom for history, I go for fantasy and leaving this world behind. That is a waste of valuable real estate to me.

I am happy that the show was less commercial and more like Illuminations. And during the day the barges are barely visible. Total win there.

403402515_3726653137566585_2229258960087187293_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter