• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic band or Disney Magic Mobile?

garrity2001

Earning My Ears
The use of the free magic bands were so convenient when we went last (2018). I previously saw generic magic bands for $10, now I see the cheapest is $30 (at the time of posting this).

For those of you who have used the magic bands AND Disney Magic Mobile, do you think it’s worth the extra to purchase the magic bands? Is Disney Magic Mobile convenient and easy to use? Our old magic bands are too old to link.

Thanks!

I went back and looked on the app and saw that we still fall under the pre-order pricing, where I can still get the $10 deal. But, I’d still like to hear your opinions on the convenience of Disney Magic Mobile. Thanks!

I think Disney MagicMobile's convenience depends on whether or not you have an Apple device.

I have a Google Pixel, so I can't share the passes in Magic Mobile, they are all stored on my phone, which is very inconvenient.

We bought new Magic Bands. We could have used ours from last year or even the year before.

As far as convenience having your magic band on your wrist and tapping into a ride is so easy and so fast. We would walk past the people struggling to get the phone open, find the passes, scan each one. Granted, they should have been ready, but we all know people don't think ahead.

Also, I do all of our planning, which meant, I would be the one having to scan in my family. No thanks, they can do their part.

The use of the free magic bands were so convenient when we went last (2018). I previously saw generic magic bands for $10, now I see the cheapest is $30 (at the time of posting this).

For those of you who have used the magic bands AND Disney Magic Mobile, do you think it’s worth the extra to purchase the magic bands? Is Disney Magic Mobile convenient and easy to use?
Bands were never $10, they debuted at $15. And the cheapest bands currently are not $30, they're $20.

Our old magic bands are too old to link.
That's not a thing. Day 1 MagicBands can still be linked and used. Unless you've changed email addresses since your last trip, they should ALREADY be linked.

As far as convenience having your magic band on your wrist and tapping into a ride is so easy and so fast. We would walk past the people struggling to get the phone open, find the passes, scan each one. Granted, they should have been ready, but we all know people don't think ahead.

The last time we went (a few years ago), we chose not to get the magic bands but to use our card passes that we wore on lanyards around our necks. Each of us had cute zippered pouches with a chosen Disney character on it. Passes would scan through the clear window on the pouch, and we could keep credit cards or money handy as well. It was super convenient; we never had to search for them; they were easy for children to keep up with; and the price was right for our big family.

I'm assuming we can do the same with our upcoming trip?

I'd prefer to avoid purchasing the bands, and I don't want to constantly have to pull things up on my phone.

The last time we went (a few years ago), we chose not to get the magic bands but to use our card passes that we wore on lanyards around our necks. Each of us had cute zippered pouches with a chosen Disney character on it. Passes would scan through the clear window on the pouch, and we could keep credit cards or money handy as well. It was super convenient; we never had to search for them; they were easy for children to keep up with; and the price was right for our big family.

I'm assuming we can do the same with our upcoming trip?

I'd prefer to avoid purchasing the bands, and I don't want to constantly have to pull things up on my phone.
I didn't look into the cards, but yes, I think that is an option. My husband wouldn't wear a lanyard, and we didn't want to be constantly trying to pull things up on our phone either. We are a family of 3, so the price point was still low for us, but I understand keeping extra costs in check with larger families.

We've always loved the convenience of Magic Bands, and I was really not interested in fussing with my phone for any more than I'll already have to. With Genie+ I feel like I'm going to be on my phone more than I'd like to begin with, so limiting that as much as possible seemed worth the purchase. That, and we're hoping (fingers crossed) and Disney hasn't gone so downhill that we'll actually want to come back next year, making the bands an investment.

When we went last year someone commented that her and her husbands phones had died by the time they got to their hotel and they couldn't get into their rooms. They had to go to the front desk to get into their room. That was enough for me right there. there are a lot of convinces of having the band. But when I get to my room with two tired kiddo's the last thing I want to deal with is not getting into my room. well worth the ($20 last year) I am reusing them this year. It looks like they have doubled in price though. Still worth it. My kids love to race up and unlock the door and it do convent using LL/FP. Remember you can use old magic bands, well, it may depend on HOW old but for our '21 trip they said our '17 ones were fine....if I could have found them -LOL

Most previous magic bands are still linked, I would use those instead of your phone. Otherwise you’d probably need to carry a battery pack to recharge your phone multiple times due to magicmobile and genie plus if you get it.

I would like to get a little more information on the Magic Mobile just for the purpose of deciding which to use.

1. The way I understand the way it works once added to your Apple Wallet is that you do not even have to unlock the phone? Just using for myself, not the rest of the family.

2. Will the Magic Mobile work if using a thick case on the phone?

I would like to get a little more information on the Magic Mobile just for the purpose of deciding which to use.

1. The way I understand the way it works once added to your Apple Wallet is that you do not even have to unlock the phone? Just using for myself, not the rest of the family.

2. Will the Magic Mobile work if using a thick case on the phone?
1. Yes.

2. Probably. Most modern cases are designed to allow NFC to function.

Also worth noting that you don't have to choose. You could use them interchangeably throughout a single day if you want to. Your phone, your MagicBands, and your plastic cards should all work interchangeably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter