Magic Key Program

I activated my Dream Key Thursday for my first "solo mom day at the parks while the kids are at school" since before the pandemic.

It's so funny how this new "membership program" works exactly the same way as my old AP. 😜

I didn't even make a reservation in advance. I just woke up, looked at the availability and decided to go. Made the reservation in the car before backing out of my garage. I was there 15 minutes later. Spontaneous visit: ✔

I didn't even make a reservation in advance. I just woke up, looked at the availability and decided to go. Made the reservation in the car before backing out of my garage. I was there 15 minutes later. Spontaneous visit: ✔
Hopefully they keep the MK reservations 'bucket' open enough for that exact reason, although I'm sure higher demand dates will fill up a few days out.

If anyone is interested, I’m seeing some availability for Magic Key Terrace reservations in DCA for early October. First time I’ve seen that location come up when searching for reservations.
So, we had a reservation for there for last night at 6:10. We checked in at 6 and they said, "We're sorry, we know you have a reservation, but it's probably about a 25 minute wait." Ok, no problem, thanks for the heads-up, they took my number and we went over to wander Avengers Campus. 6:35, we still hadn't gotten a text, so I went back over and checked that they had my number right and she said yeah, but it was probably at least 10-15 minutes longer - "People are just hanging out for hours." We went back at 6:45 and asked them to cancel our reservation, which they did with no penalty and an apology, but it was unfortunate.

I think they need to make and enforce table time limits if that's the situation.

So, we had a reservation for there for last night at 6:10. We checked in at 6 and they said, "We're sorry, we know you have a reservation, but it's probably about a 25 minute wait." Ok, no problem, thanks for the heads-up, they took my number and we went over to wander Avengers Campus. 6:35, we still hadn't gotten a text, so I went back over and checked that they had my number right and she said yeah, but it was probably at least 10-15 minutes longer - "People are just hanging out for hours." We went back at 6:45 and asked them to cancel our reservation, which they did with no penalty and an apology, but it was unfortunate.

I think they need to make and enforce table time limits if that's the situation.
That's pretty rude of people. Isn't this table service? They are hurting the wait staff as well by limiting their tip opportunities.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I’m sorry It didn’t work out for you. Very nice that they cancelled without the penalty. I think I’ll pass on it for now, if they are running that far behind,

True.... although sadly if no time limits, I think Keyhole's are basically using it as a Starbucks, sit at table and chat/social media all day and night.
I haven’t been since it’s become the Magic Key terrace, but back when it was the AP lounge or during Touch of Disney, almost every time I was up there I saw the SAME large group of people there.

I don’t know who they were or if that particular group is still going, but I suspect maybe it’s just a group of very regular (daily?) visitors that use it as a hangout. If they take up just 1 or 2 tables all day, that’s gonna hurt if reservation capacity was based on those tables turning over. They’ll just keep falling behind as the day goes on.

There should be a time limit. BUT if a group is gonna be jerks, there’s nothing to stop multiple people in the group from making reservations throughout the day. But at least they’d need to clear out.

In other news, the Starcade Magic Key area had a 45 minute wait earlier. I wonder if it’s going to suffer a similar fate.

Oof sorry you didn’t get to use your ressie. I had a 3:30pm ressie yesterday too and of course my BG got called for Webslinger to see if they can hold my dining reservation for a bit. Was told they were running behind already and it was about 45min wait so she checked me in and sure enough I got my text when I was done with the ride. If you done Alfresco Terrace it’s literally the same food and drinks except for a new scallop dish. No cute gifts either like they did for Legacy passholder too. And ya, I saw some guests just lingering around with their drinks so they’ll probably have to figure out how to schedule for that. I mean, it makes sense. Passholders don’t feel the rush to do attractions so they would see this place as a location to hangout. Same with Starcade.. the people on the couches were charging their phones and looked like they’d be there for a while. I checked in for Starcade around 11:50 and got my text at 12:12 but I can see it getting longer wait time throughout the day with ppl just wanting to hang out inside.

I haven’t been since it’s become the Magic Key terrace, but back when it was the AP lounge or during Touch of Disney, almost every time I was up there I saw the SAME large group of people there.

I don’t know who they were or if that particular group is still going, but I suspect maybe it’s just a group of very regular (daily?) visitors that use it as a hangout. If they take up just 1 or 2 tables all day, that’s gonna hurt if reservation capacity was based on those tables turning over. They’ll just keep falling behind as the day goes on.

There should be a time limit. BUT if a group is gonna be jerks, there’s nothing to stop multiple people in the group from making reservations throughout the day. But at least they’d need to clear out.

In other news, the Starcade Magic Key area had a 45 minute wait earlier. I wonder if it’s going to suffer a similar fate.

We were quoted 1.5 hours today.

Can you imagine what it was to be part of the marketing team that dreamed up this enchanting program. I’d like to believe it went like this…”well Bill…I think Believe is a better word and should be our our highest pass, no Karen, its key by the way, I think Enchant is far more powerful“…and round and round for over a year, what a way to pass a pandemic.
Mike

Can you imagine what it was to be part of the marketing team that dreamed up this enchanting program. I’d like to believe it went like this…”well Bill…I think Believe is a better word and should be our our highest pass, no Karen, its key by the way, I think Enchant is far more powerful“…and round and round for over a year, what a way to pass a pandemic.
Mike
Looks like they had the same meeting for WDW too.... 🤓
(I like Disneyland's names better)

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/benefits-of-becoming-a-passholder/

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/

Last edited:

That stinks. I hope you let Guest Relations hear about your disappointment. If people are going to behave like this, they are going to have to establish a minimum hourly spend like they used to have to do at ESPN Zone on game days.

Being that it is reservation with limited space, they should have a plan similar to Oga’s. Limit drinks to 2. Better food choices so increase the time from 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Sorry for the dumb question. With Magic Key Park Reservation, do you have automatic Part Hoppers or do you have to select both parks? Asking, because we were only able to select one park when booking our first Part Reservations, and I thought you can park hop with the Magic Key.

Sorry for the dumb question. With Magic Key Park Reservation, do you have automatic Part Hoppers or do you have to select both parks? Asking, because we were only able to select one park when booking our first Part Reservations, and I thought you can park hop with the Magic Key.
For now it’s automatic park hopper reservations after 1pm.

Not dumb, they make it look bit confusing the way the selection process is. All magic keys are park hoppers. Selecting an available park choice to enter prior to 1pm giving you the all day part. Your choice on hopping after 1pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter