Main shows on Fantasy being performed 2 days in a row

Easiest way to ease crowding: Do matinees of every main stage show. We were on the Wonder and they did this for Frozen, which was great, would love to see more of that.

If they don't want the welcome and farewell shows, then change them out to something else, even if it is more variety acts, but don't just repeat shows like this.

Repeating shows is a terrible idea. We've only really enjoyed a couple of the stage shows (Tangled and Aladdin) but we've really enjoyed all the variety shows we've seen. We'd definitely be unhappy if they took those away.

Wow. This is really disappointing news. I hope that the feedback from this "test" ensures that they revert to offering different entertainment every evening. The unique evening entertainment is one of the biggest selling points for us.

We've never had any issues getting seats, so I don't see how it can be about crowd control. Even if it was, they could offer matinee performances on the sea days.

Speaking of matinees, On the 10/7 the guy who did his balloon/comedy act at night in 2016, did his act as a matinee this year. It was nice to have something like that in the afternoon.

I just compared navigators before and after the change and it looks like they’ve also ADDED family friendly activities to do during the shows (the feud, the wheel, majority rules, rhythm worship, magic show) in the lounges.

Since they only replaced the welcome and farewell show and also added extra activities during that time slot on all four nights it really seems like there’s more to do now. I actually like this a lot more since it gives you more choices on what to do during that block) and I thought the farewell and welcome shows were just a lot of filler.

I was on the 10/7 fantasy and thought it was weird. If you e already seen the shows then that is 4 nights right off the bat that you have nothing to do.

Not trying to argue but the navigators show there were 2 new activities in the lounges during the show on all 4 nights. Isn’t that more to do? This seems better for repeat cruisers who have options if they don’t want to repeat shows they saw on previous cruises.

We have been on 12 Disney cruises on the various ships and at various times of the year, and we have never had any trouble getting a seat for the evening shows. The evening show to us is a routine after dinner before we go to the entertainment in the nightclub. We really don't like the repetition of the shows. The welcome show sets the tone for the cruise week and the farewell show is just that, a way of bidding us adieu.

Hope this is only a test

Just finished 39th DCL cruise and we still ALWAYS go the shows. I have seen them all numerous times and I still like to go (love them)....it is our routine. We have never had a problem getting seats no matter what time we arrived at the theater. I do not like the idea of repeating the shows on the same cruise though.

MJ

Repeating shows is a terrible idea. We've only really enjoyed a couple of the stage shows (Tangled and Aladdin) but we've really enjoyed all the variety shows we've seen. We'd definitely be unhappy if they took those away.

I agree. We tend to skip the Disney shows but never miss the variety acts.

I was just on the 10/21 Fantasy sailing and Aladdin and Believe were done 2 nights in a row. The cruise director told me that it is in the "testing" phase as far as crowd sizes, making sure everyone gets a chance to see it, etc. She did say that so far the tests have been successful. I have to agree with her. I did see Aladdin and Believe once and I was able to to other ship activities on the other nights. I did hear that the theatre was pretty full for both nights of each performance for each of the 2 showings per night. For the showings that I went to on the second nights of each performance, the theatre was very full. I happen to like the "test."

I was just on the 10/21 Fantasy sailing and Aladdin and Believe were done 2 nights in a row. The cruise director told me that it is in the "testing" phase as far as crowd sizes, making sure everyone gets a chance to see it, etc. She did say that so far the tests have been successful. I have to agree with her. I did see Aladdin and Believe once and I was able to to other ship activities on the other nights. I did hear that the theatre was pretty full for both nights of each performance for each of the 2 showings per night. For the showings that I went to on the second nights of each performance, the theatre was very full. I happen to like the "test."

Just curious - other activities do you do at night? We don't seem to find much for a family other than the shows. Not particularly interested in movies since we can do that at home unless it's the rare occasion something very new is playing.

Last edited:
I just compared navigators before and after the change and it looks like they’ve also ADDED family friendly activities to do during the shows (the feud, the wheel, majority rules, rhythm worship, magic show) in the lounges.

Since they only replaced the welcome and farewell show and also added extra activities during that time slot on all four nights it really seems like there’s more to do now. I actually like this a lot more since it gives you more choices on what to do during that block) and I thought the farewell and welcome shows were just a lot of filler.

This would be fine, I don't care about the welcome show and the other show, but more activities and maintaining the variety acts would be an improvement for me. Also maybe I'll watch the bigger shows, sometimes I'll skip it because I know I'll cruise again and it's not a top priority for me, but if I had two opportunities to see it maybe I will.

Jut curious - other activities do you do at night? We don't seem to find much for a family other than the shows. Not particularly interested in movies since we can do that at home unless it's the rare occasion something very new is playing.

I wasn’t the one you quoted, but looking at the new navigators that seems to be the upside of this. During the shows they’ve added variety acts, family game shows, and trivia. For our family I think this is going to be a major plus because my husband and son didn’t love the big production shows but would love the smaller activities in the lounges.

We were on the 10/21 Fantasy sailing as well and didn't mind the change. It worked out well for us. We probably would have skipped the welcome and farewell shows anyways. We saw them when we sailed on the Magic and they were a bit forgettable. We had Remy the second night and I made the reservation for 7:30 so we wouldn't miss Aladdin. So it turned out we didn't need to rush there from the show since we saw it already the first night. We probably should have tried to move Remy up earlier to see the sunset, but we didn't bother. DS is into magic, so we saw the magician in the lounge on the sixth night when Believe was on. The last night we saw Believe and missed dinner in the MDR so DH could take the kids to see the magician teach magic (while I packed).

Wishes was the most crowded (only 1 night), with people saving an entire row of seats. Believe on the last night (first showing) was the least crowded and we were able to get seats smack dab in the middle of the front section. I don't think any of the seats are "bad" though. It's just varying degrees of "good". DD was always disappointed when bubbles, confetti, etc dropped in the front section though, so at least she was able to experience that once. :)

As long as they add in variety acts, we'd welcome the change. We skip the welcome and farewell shows as well.

The Welcome Aboard and Farewell shows have a variety act have a variety act as well - if 1/2 the folks go to the main stage show and 1/2 the folks go to the variety acts in the lounges, the lounges wouldn't have enough seating.

This is bad news for me. I love the shows. My next cruise is December in fantasy. Now I only have three nights of shows and acts and a movie instead of 7. The variety act is 2 guys I don’t like. Not going to mention their names a lot of people like them. The movie no need for me to see a movie on board since I have movie pass. I know not DCLs fault there. So instead of 7 times watching shows, variety acts and movies my next 7 night cruise will be three nights.

This is bad news for me. I love the shows. My next cruise is December in fantasy. Now I only have three nights of shows and acts and a movie instead of 7. The variety act is 2 guys I don’t like. Not going to mention their names a lot of people like them. The movie no need for me to see a movie on board since I have movie pass. I know not DCLs fault there. So instead of 7 times watching shows, variety acts and movies my next 7 night cruise will be three nights.
According to the DCL blog, the 10/28 cruise was back to normal with 7 different shows/acts. Hopefully it'll stay that way for your cruise!

I'd rather they added a 3rd nightly performance of each show (whether it be the production shows, or the variety acts) after second seating dinner ends. I'm certain this will never happen though. There is so little going on throughout the ship once the late seating dinner lets out. Seems like the perfect time for the show. Plus, I think most people rather see the show after their dinner. Going before dinner seems somewhat backwards. We would love to free up that time before dinner (we always do second seating) when there is much more going on and still be able to see the shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter