Makin' Memories... A PTR for a 2022 Thanksgiving Trip. (hopefully)

I’ve been hearing great things lately about Storybook Dining and actually also added it to my list the other day.

The decision to pull them out of school in high school can be difficult. It really depends on the kid, school, class and teacher. Everyone has to do what is best for them!

DD is a sophomore and does all honors and AP classes. We’re going Jersey week because she doesn’t want to miss too much school and she doesn’t do any extra curricular as that would interfere that week. I think she’d be fine but she gets overwhelmed with thinking about it and I think it would take away from her enjoyment a bit if she had schoolwork or the fear of missing an important lesson looking over her. Our school closes for Election Day plus that Thursday and Friday for the convention. The other two days are half days where they do nothing. She will miss the Friday before so really just full one day.

Our school closes for Election Day plus that Thursday and Friday for the convention. The other two days are half days where they do nothing. She will miss the Friday before so really just full one day.
This is literally the best! our school stopping having voting at the schools. So they no longer get that Tuesday off. But that week is still an option since it will be 3 days instead of 5. But I think we will stick with our week, at worst we will leave Wednesday night, so it's only 2 days. But I feel like 3 is ok... I don't know we will see...

I feel the pain with making ADRs and all the error messages, ugh!
I’m thinking about Storybook dining for our April trip since we are staying at WL
I have been hearing so much about all the SW flight changes lately ugh!
I say go to a park that day for sure since your flight is late!
The last thing I need is more magic bands but I am going to check it out 😆

More Flight Drama!!!!

I woke up this morning to ANOTHER email from Southwest! This time they changed our flight home. Ugh!!! And this time it was REAL BAD!

We were originally flying out of Orlando at 7:50 AM and landing 10:40 AM. We had decided that, this would be best as we would of had a long trip and the girls and us would need to be going to school and work the next day.... We could chill at home and rest up for the next 2 days of reality.

Southwest apparently thought that a fair trade of a flight change would be a 6:10 PM flight with a lay over in Nashville getting us home at 11:15 PM!!! This was NOT going to work!!! We wouldn't get home till midnight. And It's a 2 hour and change flight from Jersey... layovers are so silly. oye!

So, I got back onto the Southwest site this morning and there is literally 1 direct flight for the day. ONE! I realize its' a Wednesday but yikes! Thankfully I was able to switch that 1 non-stop flight. SO, now we leave 7:15 PM and arrive in Jersey 9:10. Still not great from the perspective of going to school the next day, but at least it is a direct flight. And we should be home before midnight.

And really, now we have a full day on Wednesday! And is that really that bad?!?! Not in my book. I am thinking that we just have a pool day. Maybe I can get us a Beaches and Cream lunch reservation... I could shift park days around so we can go into the park this day. In theory it should be less crowded but.... I am not sure it would be worth it. What would you do?

So frustrating that they made that change on you. I'm glad you were at least able to find a direct option! I would 100% go to a park on that last day. I admire your initial efforts to try to get home at a reasonable time - I don't have that kind of restraint. We always do a park on the last day because it makes the sting of leaving a little more tolerable, even though it means I'll be worn out for work the next day.

Happy Friday!!!!!

I am so glad it's Friday. It was a long week, filled with lots of work, a few doctors appointments (nothing major just checkups that all happened at the same time) and all the flight drama!!!!

The flight drama is ridiculous! I'm waiting to see if it will impact us in June, as we're also on Southwest.

Anyway!!!! I order another set of magic bands!!!! I know I shouldn't have, but I did!!! Yesterday after work, I was thought.... "Let me just take a peek at what magic bands they have" And they of course had different ones... and cute ones... So... I ordered another set for us.... I am thinking one set can go in the easter baskets and the other I can leave out as tinkerbell gifts. I tried to add a photo, but flickr is acting up. I will share when I actually get the bands.

I have been debating this! I keep looking at the available magic bands, picking them out, then backing out before checking out. I just keep thinking I'm sure we'll want the new kind of bands when they come out (magic bands plus?), so I'll be annoyed with myself for not waiting and getting the new kind. It's not like we don't have plenty of the old ones...

I am actually watching Molly eat at Topolino's Terrace right now, and it makes me want to go there too! Not enough time or stomach space.

We're planning to try Topolino's this summer. I wasn't planning on doing character meals with the current changes, but with it being the baby's first trip, I figured we've got to at least do one or two Mickey meals.

I'm so excited for y'all to be going back and can't wait to see how your trip goes!

I’m thinking about Storybook dining for our April trip since we are staying at WL
I was thinking of saving it for NOvember but I am not 100% we will make it for that trip. So, better make the most of this trip!

We're planning to try Topolino's this summer. I wasn't planning on doing character meals with the current changes, but with it being the baby's first trip, I figured we've got to at least do one or two Mickey meals.
That will be fun!!! I know Gwen would love to see the character dressed up like that, but I don't know if I can fit it in...

I'm glad you were at least able to find a direct option! I would 100% go to a park on that last day. I admire your initial efforts to try to get home at a reasonable time - I don't have that kind of restraint. We always do a park on the last day because it makes the sting of leaving a little more tolerabl
I am going to post about it to everyone, but we are already max'd out at 10 park day tickets, apparently!

That will be fun!!! I know Gwen would love to see the character dressed up like that, but I don't know if I can fit it in...

It was Alex's request for us to go and a big part of that was wanting to see the characters in their outfits. The similarities continue ;)

I am going to post about it to everyone, but we are already max'd out at 10 park day tickets, apparently!

Ugh, so annoying. We've run into that issue in the past as well. Could possibly plan an off day earlier in the trip? Or just plan for something else on departure day.

Guys... So, I talked to Andy about the now full day we had with the flight changes. And he said to just add a day! BUT we are already at 10 park days. And apparently that is the most they sell?!? Oye!

Really, it is probably for the best. So, now I am thinking about a true rest day on Friday of the trip. And then we can go to the park that last day. Andy and Gwen really want to rent one of those Surrey Bikes, so that would be a good thing to do that day. We can of course swim at the pool. I was thinking we could maybe move Sanaa to Friday instead of leaving Hollywood Studios to go there. Which I will have to see if I can do tomorrow, since I cancelled my throw away reservation this morning! Blek!

But then I was also thinking about the fact that I do want to go to Trader Sam's at some point. I wish you could make a reservation for that. We always skip it since we never know if going out there. If Ohana was getting better reviews, I would consider doing Trader Sam's and then Ohana's but meh, I am not dyeing to go there right now. And neither is Andy. I guess we could try for the bar area and just get noodles and wings? hmmm, an option if I can't move Sanaa.

I could also try to get Topolino Breakfast on the rest day? I know Gwen would love seeing the characters in there outfits. And the breakfast gets good reviews. And we would just need to walk to the Skyliner and take it over to Riveria... Wonder how hard it will be to get that tomorrow?

In other news... I booked us our parking for the airport. NOT cheap! But the economy parking is still closed at the Philly Airport and we have used this parking before. It's self parking but they pick you up at your car right away and we won't have to worry about getting on a shuttle to econ lot. Because we have had that happen before!

It was Alex's request for us to go and a big part of that was wanting to see the characters in their outfits. The similarities continue ;)
They are! When are you going this summer?

Ugh, so annoying. We've run into that issue in the past as well. Could possibly plan an off day earlier in the trip? Or just plan for something else on departure day.
Yeah, I think we are going to shift Friday to have a true non park day. And then go on that last day.

I guess we could try for the bar area and just get noodles and wings? hmmm, an option if I can't move Sanaa.

We did this in August 2019 and it was yum. We did pot stickers and dessert. Biggest problem for us was the 5th person at a 4 top, but you're good there. We also went and got the Capt Cook pork nachos, you could go grab a Dole Whip, really make a little Poly food tour. :-)

But the economy parking is still closed at the Philly Airport

Did you hear it's closed permanently? And one of the other nearby, cheap lots closed, pushing up demand and prices in the other shuttle lots. PHL parking is going to be more expensive or we all need to start getting rides.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/p...-lot-closed-thanksgiving-travel-20211104.html

Happy Sunday!!!!

55 Days!!!!

It has been a little hairy today. Just trying to finalize everything for dinning and park reservations before it gets to close to the trip. I think I am pretty set at this point. So, here is where I am...

Saturday:
Disney Springs Lunch time / Resort Dinner
Polite Pig for lunch and then 3 Bridges for a light dinner

Sunday:
Magic Kingdom AM / EPCOT PM
Le Cellier @ 3:30

Monday:
Hollywood Studios
Sanaa @ 5:30

Tuesday:

Magic Kingdom

Morimoto Asia @ 4:30 Steakhouse 71 @ 1:10 / Actually thinking of doing Trader Sam's and Tambu Lounge

Wednesday:
Animal Kingdom
Tiffins @ 5:00

Thursday:
EPCOT
Eat around the World

Friday:
No Park Day

50's Prime Time @ 5:00 Morimoto Asia @ 5:45

Saturday:
Magic Kingdom AM / Hollywood Studios PM
Andy's Birthday Day
Homecomin' @ 6:00

Sunday:
Magic Kingdom AM / Animal Kingdom PM
Steakhouse 71 @ 1:00 / Sanaa @ 5:05 (Back up reservation)

Monday:
Hollywood Studios AM / EPCOT PM
Extended Evening Hours EPCOT
Space 220 @ 2:15

Tuesday:
Magic Kingdom
Story Book Dinning @ 5:15

Wednesday:
Hollywood Studio
50's Prime Time @ 12:!5

Did you hear it's closed permanently? And one of the other nearby, cheap lots closed, pushing up demand and prices in the other shuttle lots. PHL parking is going to be more expensive or we all need to start getting rides.
I did NOT!!!! Glad I booked something. Andy said maybe we would start taking ubers to the airport. Which I don't mind but I just hate the uncertaintly of getting one.

We did this in August 2019 and it was yum. We did pot stickers and dessert. Biggest problem for us was the 5th person at a 4 top, but you're good there. We also went and got the Capt Cook pork nachos, you could go grab a Dole Whip, really make a little Poly food tour.
I am leaning towards this for one of the days!

Really, it is probably for the best. So, now I am thinking about a true rest day on Friday of the trip. And then we can go to the park that last day. Andy and Gwen really want to rent one of those Surrey Bikes, so that would be a good thing to do that day. We can of course swim at the pool. I was thinking we could maybe move Sanaa to Friday instead of leaving Hollywood Studios to go there. Which I will have to see if I can do tomorrow, since I cancelled my throw away reservation this morning! Blek!
A true rest day is awesome! I am doing 4 non park days on our upcoming trip which is going to be SO weird but also fun.
I could also try to get Topolino Breakfast on the rest day? I know Gwen would love seeing the characters in there outfits. And the breakfast gets good reviews. And we would just need to walk to the Skyliner and take it over to Riveria... Wonder how hard it will be to get that tomorrow?
Topolino's would a terrific choice. I am dying to try it one day.
Polite Pig for lunch and then 3 Bridges for a light dinner
Perfect! Three Bridges is awesome. :)

For some reason, I haven't been getting any alerts so I completely missed your ADR day. I completely get the frustration. I had that on my ADR day too, but it looks like you were able to get what you wanted for the most part, so that's good!

Storybook Dining and Topolino's were 2 of my top choices and I couldn't get either even though I was up at 4:45 (central time zone). Probably because this trip is a little shorter than our usual trips. We'll be there for a week, but since we are spending the first 2 days at Universal, we'll on be at Disney Sunday until Saturday. I've set up alerts, so hopefully I'll be able to get them.

So sorry about your flight issues. Southwest cancelled our flight back on Saturday. We were supposed to fly out of Orlando at 9:15 but they moved us to a late afternoon flight. I was so upset because I had only been able to get Space 220 for lunch that day and we wouldn't be able to go if we had a late afternoon flight. I wanted to change it to the only direct flight Sunday which leaves at 9am, but I think I mentioned before that my husband wants a full day at home before he goes back to work, so he was still opposed to that. He told me to see if I could find a flight on another airline around the same time we were originally supposed to fly back. I ended up booking a Delta flight home. Unfortunately, it's not a direct flight since SW is the only airline that offers direct flights from Omaha to Orlando. But, at least I get to keep my Space 220 lunch!

I agree that having a rest day somewhere in the middle of your trip sounds good and then going to a park on your last day.

How frustrating about your Thanksgiving trip plans! My daughter started high school this year, so I understand how difficult it is to decide how much is ok to miss. She is a really good student, but she has a lot of honors and AP classes, so I think it would be too difficult for her to miss a full week. She actually told me that the most days she would be ok missing is 1-2. They will miss one day for our April trip since we are going to fly down the Friday before spring break starts.

I love Molly from All Ear's videos! I recently watched her Topolino's video too, and it made me even more disappointed that I couldn't get a breakfast reservation there. I would like to try dinner there too sometime, but I didn't plan to try it in April since I really thought I would get breakfast and we have a couple of other signature restaurants planned, so I didn't want to do to many (well, I would, but the kids not so much, LOL).

I'm caught up on all the drama. Your ADRs look great. I think having a day off will really be great for not getting too overwhelmed. My flights got changes too. My flight down is later and my flight home is earlier. I still haven't decided on airport transportation but since it's just me I'm leaning towards Mears, of course in the back of my mind I'm hoping Danielle has one of those days off to drop me off or pick me up.

Love your Easter basket gifts. You really put a lot of thought and effort into your trips. I'm looking forward to seeing the shirts you got.

High School does make it harder for the kids to miss school. My DS did 4 year of high school band and a few years in college. He did miss his very first football game for his first ever trip to Disney but we were good after that and he didn't miss any more. He made lifelong friends in the high school and college marching bands. Michelle and Danielle did band in middle school but not high school. They both did the dance team so they pretty much had to be at the same functions as the marching band. I hope Morgan enjoys it like my kids did.

Sorry about your flight change! I have two flights reserved, and it's laughable how many emails I get, alerting me to a change. Crazy times...

I think taking a full down day on Friday is a good compromise, though, and I'm sure by that last day you'll want to spend just a little bit of time in the parks since it's your last day. At least, that's how I am on the departure day.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed Steakhouse 71 lunch and Tambu lounge for Ohana food; those are two meals I'm hoping to do this summer.

For some reason, I haven't been getting any alerts so I completely missed your ADR day. I completely get the frustration. I had that on my ADR day too, but it looks like you were able to get what you wanted for the most part, so that's good!
I hate when that happens!

Storybook Dining and Topolino's were 2 of my top choices and I couldn't get either even though I was up at 4:45
I think I was able to get Storybook Dining so easy because it was 9 or 10 days out. I have an alert set up for Topolinos but I am not getting my hopes up. It used to be that folks would drop around 30 days when they figured out there fastpasses. But that won't be a thing anymore. So, I am thinking it will be more of 2 or 3 days before when people are here and adjusting. So, maybe super last minute?

But, at least I get to keep my Space 220 lunch!
YEAH!!!!

I love Molly from All Ear's videos! I recently watched her Topolino's video too, and it made me even more disappointed that I couldn't get a breakfast reservation there
I need to stop watching Molly eating food! I watched her Jiko one and now I want to go there too!

He made lifelong friends in the high school and college marching bands. Michelle and Danielle did band in middle school but not high school. They both did the dance team so they pretty much had to be at the same functions as the marching band. I hope Morgan enjoys it like my kids did.
Marching Band is how we met. We were both in marching band at Syracuse University. And most of our friends, including the L's from our December trip are from Marching Band. So, we are hopefully she will enjoy it too!

I'm looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed Steakhouse 71 lunch and Tambu lounge for Ohana food; those are two meals I'm hoping to do this summer.
The Trader Sams / Tambu lounge was a good turn of events with the shifting of reservations! I am hoping we stick with it. We are terrible with some of those types of plans when it's not set in stone...

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

50 Days!!!

I feel like February is going so slow. I know it's because I am just so looking forward to this trip! March is going to be brutal!

On that note, I have been contiplating telling the girls a little earlier. I don't know if I can keep it in for another 40-ish Days!!! I am also real worried about the clothing situation. They have grown so much in the last 2 years, and they lack real summer clothes from doing nothing the last 2 summers. That I am pretty sure Gwen needs a whole new wardrobe of shorts and shirts! And she has become super picky about her clothes that I don't trust myself picking everything out for her. We will see.... They need to get past the play first and then I will decide. They have 2 more weeks for that! I also think Andy wants to the girls to know, so I have someone else to talk about the trip with. Ha!

I am super excited about the news of a few rides being rolled into the "standard" Genie+ while we are there. That will make going on Space Mountain MUCH easier! And hopefully having Mickey and Minnie's at Hollywood Studios will help with the availablity for Slinky Dog. I AM afraid that means that Disney is expecting high crowds during that time frame... But maybe if it's higher crowds, they will extend park hours. I am hoping we will be the tail end of the spring break crowds.

So, I need to figure out the rest of the Tinkerbell Gifts!!! I am doing pretty good, it's just that this trip is so long! I need 12 things!!!

Tinkerbell Item #1:
So, Gwen LOVES the show Gravity Falls. If you haven't watched it, it is great. So, I found shirts for all of us for one day.
Untitled

Tinkerbell Item #2:
I finally got Gwen's ears in the mail. She is going to love them! I think they are an etsy seller version of the ears Disney sold with the Minnie collection awhile back. And Molly has those and loves them.
Untitled
Hopefully Morgan will like the headband version.

Tinkerbell Item #3:
I also got us all Orange Bird shirts for one of the days.
Untitled
Morgan's is the green version and I almost bought another one for me to wear on another day!

Tinkerbell Item #4:
I also ordered these Big Thunder Mountain shirts. Andy already has one, so he can wear his this day as well.
Untitled
I think Gwen is going to love her Goat one. She talks about the goat from the ride all the time. I am worried about Morgan's fitting her. Hers is the red one, and shirts that curve in like that just don't fit me and Morgan very well. I did get it a size bigger but I will have to figure out a way to see if it fits before hand.

Tinkerbell Item #5:
Headbands and scrunchies, I think I showed these already.
Untitled
I was thinking of looking for another set of these for both of them for another day, depending on what else I come up with.

Tinkerbell Item #6:
Pjs! This is always the first day item.
Untitled
I ordered Gwen Tiana Pjs and Morgan the Star Wars ones.
Untitled
I had a hard time finding something, everything on Shop Disney was either too kid like or too $$$.
I am thinking of making a check list for all of the golden statues and leave that out today as well.

Tinkerbell Item #7:
Eat around the World Books.
Untitled
I was going to try and find shirts as well. But I think I am just going to go with these.

Tinkerbell Item #8:
I have shirts coming for Andy's 50th Birthday day. He picked out a shirt that says 50 on it. And then the 3 ladies have shirts that say nifty in the same style. I also picked a Birthday Magic Band for Andy that I will leave out, that he doesn't know about.

Tinkerbell Item #9:
I need something for Easter... I am not sure what to do.... I have looked a few times for fun Easter Shirts and just haven't seen anything I like. Any ideas? I was also thinking maybe bunny ears? I don't know yet.

Tinkerbell Item #10:
I am thinking for the true rest day, I will get new bathing suits for the girls. They always need new suits and they will use them, then after as well. I just need to start looking for what I can get.

Tinkerbell Item #11:
I think this might be a one extra thing coupon. I have done this a couple times, and Gwen always loves it. If you haven't read any of my previous trip reports, somewhere along the way, we made a rule that the girls can only buy one thing each day. It worked in the sense that they stopped asking for everything they saw in sight. And really made them think about what they really wanted.

Tinkerbell Item #12:
I need something for our very last day! I have done travel themed things for the way home in the past, but it is a full day more or less now. So, I am not sure what to do. I need to think of something that isn't a shirt, I think... Anyone have a good last day of the trip idea?

I found another item for the girls easter baskets!
Untitled
They are Vera Bradley Bags. They are just big enough for the girls to carry there phones and a charger. Maybe a small snack. And the best part, I got them at the outlet for $13 a piece! Morgan some days just doesn't want to take her backpack, so this will be perfect for that.

I think that is all the new stuff. Oh, I did book parking at the airport and a car service to get us to and from the airport in Orlando. Andy said I am going to run out of things to do. Which I probably will!

I love all the Tinkerbell gifts! The Goat shirt is so cute. Maybe for Easter you could do something with Peeps. Like "hanging with my favorite peeps" and have shirts with peeps with mickey ears or something??

I would be really happy if they put all the LL$ rides on the regular genie+. Just up it a few dollars and make it all the same. It would be one less thing to worry about. I think they are just opening up other spots for future rides though. Guess we will see!!

I would be really happy if they put all the LL$ rides on the regular genie+. Just up it a few dollars and make it all the same. It would be one less thing to worry about. I think they are just opening up other spots for future rides though. Guess we will see!!
I would too! I personally think they will go to a 1 LL per park model. Once Guardians and Tron opens up, they will have 1 clear headliner in each park. It isn't great but makes sense. Disney was being gready with 2 in each park. Especially with parks like AK and EPCOT, that just don't have that many rides! But I agree! I also think they should have just rolled the cost of Genie + into the park ticket price. People wouldn't be complaining as much. Everyone complains about ticket prices going up but we all get over it a whole lot faster.

The peeps idea is cute! I will have to see what I can find.

Longtime lurker popping in to say hi. :) I love reading about your plans! We're about two months behind you in planning. I cannot WAIT to book dining and whatever else we can. It feels so weird not being able to do that yet.

My husband and I took an adults-only trip in November, so we used Genie+ and LL for the first time. There's definitely a learning curve. It's hard to stomach the thought of paying for them for all 5 of us, but while the two of us were happy with downtime, I think the kids are going to want to be doing stuff most of the time. They were also spoiled with FP and not having to wait in lines very often. It's going to be a different sort of trip!

I love how organized you are. I strive to be that way, but I almost never am. 🤪

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter