Marathon Weekend 2018

Looks like all of the corral questions in here seem to not matter much. It doesn't really matter what corral you are in. All that matters is where you are in your corral. The best thing to do would be to aim at getting there super early to be at the front of your corral.
Depends on your goal, IMO. I much prefer to start at the back of my corral, where things are a lot more sane at the start and I have plenty of room to get into my groove before the first wave of the corral behind me starts. Also, because I want to wait util the last possible minute to use the porta-potty before starting, lol! But for those very worried about being able to maintain the required pace, or who really want to get a fast start, yes, it's more important to get there early and get into the front of the corral.

Wine & Dine has about 10,000 fewer runners than WDW Half and Full.

ETA: W&D Half had ~16,000 runners; WDW Half had ~27,000 and WDW Full had ~24,000 this year.
Good point. Here's hoping they do a LOT of mini-waves! Though truthfully, back when they had fewer corrals and released a whole corral at once (2013-2014 ish), my strategy of starting at the back worked better: most of my corral would take off, there'd be a longer span of time between our start and that of the next corral, and it felt like it was less congested from there on out. But I imagine it was a different experience for those starting toward the front of the big corral.

On the marathon course, it looks like the out and back on Western Way is a bit shorter as well. 2017 Marathon we ran to the beginning of the second curve. The course map shows us turning around at the end of the first curve. Or it could just be less detailed than my actual running tracks.

Also, it is kind of weird. In the welcome letter on page 4 paragraph 3 it says that the half goes "around" Cinderella's Castle. However, the course map shows us going through the castle. Anyone else see that?

I really like the layout of this race guide! Love to see actual participants with smiles on their faces. It made me really excited!

Eh ... RunDisney is not so great at typing the right words. :rotfl2:

Or spelling them.

Or basically just at words in general.
To that point the page for Dopey tries to describe the bib colors and comes up with purple, blue, and white while also trying to explain the perfect Dopey process. Hope you perfect Dopeys have your thinking caps on when you read it because it was a blur of words.

They break the corrals down and take chunks at a time. So instead of one gigantic corral going at once, they put a break in about 2 or 3 times within the corral and release them 2-3 mins afterward.
How does this work? I don't understand how they control the "release" ... how do they put in a break?

How does this work? I don't understand how they control the "release" ... how do they put in a break?

There's no delineation, honestly. Your corral just starts moving and then at some point, you're held up until they release you.

I usually hang around and start in the middle of my corral and for W&D, I was RIGHT AT THE FRONT of the second wave of Corral C. It was awful - but it would have been impossible for me to move back at that point because everyone was so packed in and ready to get the race started. I started out faster than I wanted because I was afraid I'd be trampled.

A rope/tape essentially.

We didn't have a rope/tape - race officials stopped us. They let some people that were running together go through, but they basically held us up until the group cleared the line and then we walked behind them until we got to the start line.

91 total Disers

All Star Movies 2
All Star Music 0
All Star Sports 5
Art of Animation 2
Pop Century 12
Caribbean Beach 1
Coronado Springs 6
Ft. Wilderness 2
Port Orleans French Quarter 2
Port Orleans Riverside 6
Animal Kingdom Lodge 7
Bay Lake Tower 3
Beach Club/Yacht Club 13
Boardwalk 6
Contemporary 3
Grand Floridian 0
Old Key West 7
Polynesian 4
Saratoga Springs 12
Wilderness Lodge 1
Offsite 6
Shades of Green 1
Swan and Dolphin 0

AKV 1/3-1/9

We didn't have a rope/tape - race officials stopped us. They let some people that were running together go through, but they basically held us up until the group cleared the line and then we walked behind them until we got to the start line.
Ok makes sense. I thought I remembers the tape from last January's mini waves.

Ok makes sense. I thought I remembers the tape from last January's mini waves.

Maybe for larger corrals? IDK ... I sure was watching for a tape/rope because I would have held back if I saw one appear right in front of me. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter