Marathon Weekend 2018

Well my answer is two-fold and really not sure which I'm most excited about...
1. The feeling of accomplishment after not only running my first marathon but also doing Dopey. Our marathon running friends think we're crazy for attempting this.
2. Being done with training!!!!!! We've been in training mode since Sept 2016, as we did a half in Vegas in Feb ('17) and the purpose of that was to get a good POT for Dopey. After Feb we kept running like we were training for a half as we didn't want to lose what we built up, then started with a Dopey training plan on May 1st. I don't mind a run each weekend, but I'm getting burnt out from being "forced" to run. Stuff like a busy weekend in Sept but needing to get a 13 mile run in means going to bed earlier the night before and up at 4am to get out running and be done and showered up before other commitments for the day start.

I feel this so hard. I'm so ready to stop saying "no" to invites because I have to go to bed at a reasonable hour and I can't drink until 4am and run 16 miles the next day!!!

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week!

As always Sundays are for Disney...

Today’s question: what are you most excited for during Marathon Weekend?

My answer: Everything! I love the entire weekend. From the parks, to meeting Disers, to the bling! I really do love this event.

I'm excited to:
  1. See my three best friends that I miss terribly, two of whom I haven't seen since I moved to NYC.
  2. See the 5k and the 10k, which I've never done before
  3. Have my mom at the finish line for the first time
  4. Survive the races, barring no injuries/random unpredictable issues
  5. See the merch, obviously
  6. Feel the adrenaline rush
  7. EARN. ALL. THE. MEDALS.

An additional thought...what do you guys think the TSA policy is for bringing roller sticks on the plane? If I don't check a bag, I really want to bring it with me as a carry on, but I don't want to get it taken away.

An additional thought...what do you guys think the TSA policy is for bringing roller sticks on the plane? If I don't check a bag, I really want to bring it with me as a carry on, but I don't want to get it taken away.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be allowed, but maybe I'm wrong?

ATTSQOTD: Two things.

First, meeting all the awesome folks from here and putting more faces with screen names. I do these trips solo, so the meet ups will be my social scene.

Second, getting to run a Marathon Weekend healthy! I've run two so far and been limited to interval running to nurse through separate injuries to complete the races. I set my fall training and racing schedule up with the sole purpose of getting to Marathon Weekend healthy and, fingers crossed, three weeks out and just 1 week left prior to taper, it's worked!

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week!

As always Sundays are for Disney...

My answer: Everything! I love the entire weekend. From the parks, to meeting Disers, to the bling! I really do love this event.

Very much looking forward to completing my first marathon in my favorite place on earth, and learning if my training program (Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2) worked. I've followed it to the letter. The miles won't kill me, but I think the anticipation might!

Hi Everyone, I haven't been to disboards in a while, but thought I would checkin since we are getting close. I decided to do the Disney Marathon about a year ago. I have since lost about 40 lbs and have stuck to the training schedule. I ran a local half marathon in September and finished with about a 11:30 pace. I was happy with that. I have struggled with the long runs once they got to be 15 miles plus. I have finished all of them, but at the end, I keep thinking "the marathon is 8 more miles than this" (18 miles is the most I have done so far). I have read that the actual marathon will be easier since I will have tapered off for 3 weeks. I hope that's right...lol Has anyone else struggled with long runs?

Hi Everyone, I haven't been to disboards in a while, but thought I would checkin since we are getting close. I decided to do the Disney Marathon about a year ago. I have since lost about 40 lbs and have stuck to the training schedule. I ran a local half marathon in September and finished with about a 11:30 pace. I was happy with that. I have struggled with the long runs once they got to be 15 miles plus. I have finished all of them, but at the end, I keep thinking "the marathon is 8 more miles than this" (18 miles is the most I have done so far). I have read that the actual marathon will be easier since I will have tapered off for 3 weeks. I hope that's right...lol Has anyone else struggled with long runs?

Those 8 extra miles are the easy part....it's those 0.2 miles that kill you! Seriously, I know what you mean. I've already ran 2 full marathons, but none since 2014 and I felt the same way. The thing I keep reminding myself is racing at WDW is different than if you were running a BQ or something like that. My first full was at WDW and my legs seized up about 16 miles into the race. I spent the next 10 miles nursing the cramps, stretching, walking, running when I could and just trying to cross the finish line. It made me appreciate some of the behind the scene stuff that I normally would've overlooked. Find a mantra and keep saying it to yourself when you get tired. My personal favorites are: "Mind over matter" or "Suck it up buttercup" You'll do great and have a great time doing it!

The enhanced atmosphere during runDinsey events. Its another layer of fellowship and understanding that we all share regardless of distance, pace, background, etc.

It makes a magical place a little bit more personalized and magical.

Hi Everyone, I haven't been to disboards in a while, but thought I would checkin since we are getting close

Welcome back!

I have since lost about 40 lbs and have stuck to the training schedule.

That's awesome! Congrats!

I have struggled with the long runs once they got to be 15 miles plus.

Have you been running them at the scheduled pace per the training plan you've been following? Based on a 11:30 min/mile HM recent race:

Many but not all plans based on continuous running have the long run like this -

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 6.32.49 AM.png

A 12:50 min/mile long run pace for a runner who recently ran a 11:30 min/mile HM.

If you are instead following a run/walk plan (like Galloway), then your long run should be near a 13:59 min/mile pace.

If you haven't been running the long runs slow enough, it might help.

I have finished all of them, but at the end, I keep thinking "the marathon is 8 more miles than this" (18 miles is the most I have done so far).

My suggestion is trying to change the mindset. On your next long run, instead of thinking I just finished 18 miles and would still have 8.22 to go. Rather think I am starting at mile 8 of the marathon this morning. So the 1st mile completed of the long run is really the 9th mile of the marathon. The 10th mile of your long run is really the 18th mile of the marathon.

On race day, do the same. Take whatever your longest training distance was and subtract that from the marathon. Instead of "I've never run further", consider the first portion of the race merely the warm-up for the long run mileage you've done before. Changing the mindset can work wonders. Because questioning the future can lead to negative thoughts, so this method helps with positive reinforcement. A positive mindset can have an enormous impact on performance.

I've flown with my stick in carryon many times now and no one has said anything.

I'm not exactly sure you're looking for everyone's location, but my wife and I are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort. I'm new to Disboards so if I've jumped into the middle of a veteran discussion, I apologize!
No need to apologize for jumping in, everyone's welcome to post & share on here :)

@Keels do you happen to know whether the race retreat is transferable or tied to a specific name? I am primarily concerned with tent access to give me one less thing to stress about before my first marathon (don't need early expo) - maybe we could work something out! I'd be happy to pay the full race retreat price.

Last edited:
So many things, 1. Finishing my first marathon/Dopey. 2. Dinner at Ohana 3. Not having to run for bit post race weekend.
I'm glad I'll be your most important stop! I'm staying at the Boardwalk Villas. I will be in the area in front of the villas with a RunDisney Cheer Sign with some phrase to be determined. I will post the phrase when I figure that out.
I'll have to remember this. I'm excited for this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter