Marathon Weekend 2018

Im going to the 4pm show on Sunday as well...we've got a big group of marathoners going.

What time will you be there

Our arrival time will be entirely dependent on when we can corral our kids ( :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc) and rouse my poor mom (who was just in a car accident on Christmas Eve :crutches:) and get over there.

We are going to be at SSR -- does anyone know if the Minnie Vans are now running from there? And, if we are able to use a Minnie Van (or Lyft or Uber), will they take us all the way to Pioneer Hall, or will we be dropped off at the entrance of Fort Wilderness and forced to take another bus?

Our arrival time will be entirely dependent on when we can corral our kids ( :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc) and rouse my poor mom (who was just in a car accident on Christmas Eve :crutches:) and get over there.

We are going to be at SSR -- does anyone know if the Minnie Vans are now running from there? And, if we are able to use a Minnie Van (or Lyft or Uber), will they take us all the way to Pioneer Hall, or will we be dropped off at the entrance of Fort Wilderness and forced to take another bus?

A couple of months ago we were talking to the cast members at the Fort about those transportation options. We were told that only the Minnie Vans were allowed to go inside to the individual campsites. If they can go that far inside the campground, I see no reason why they would not be able to drop you off at the bus loop next to Pioneer Hall.

Well i guess we all will have to deal with the cold. I am not going to like it but if it is going to get THAT cold, I want to see snow again!!! :lmao: Either sweltering heat or snow cold. None of this in between stuff. :rotfl2:
Oh please heck no to snow, I'll be escaping our snow! I think I would cry if that happened, laugh & cry & laugh & cry some more!

I've seen someone running the marathon in a full Goofy Halloween costume (one piece suit with big goofy head on his head type costume) in 2016 when it was like 100% humidity...he looked rather melty.

Yes. The Minnie Vans are running from SSR.

Yes. The Minnie Vans are running from SSR.

Great! Thanks.

I screwed up when setting up my FP+'s, and forgot to get in to see talking Mickey after the Marathon. I believe that it's the hardest ticket to get in WDW right now. I've been checking on-and-off for the last couple weeks, and I could have nabbed FP for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Flight of Passage, Frozen... ANYTHING. Anything, that is, except Mickey in MK. I imagine that his stand-by line will be packed with hundreds of people wearing about 40 lbs of clanking metal around their necks. :mickeyjum:earboy2:

The infamous WDW Marathon Weekend of 2010 !!!!!! Who else remembers?

One of my favorite memories from Disney on Ice 2010 is the water stop volunteers spreading Powerade powder on the ground to provide traction on the ice formed by the splashes of water falling out of the cups. Sunday was cold but otherwise a nice day for a run. Saturday, with the sleet and freezing rain, was not.

Did I miss it or have then not done the merchandise preview yet? I know they had some Marathon stuff a few weeks ago but I would like to see the other races. I have to start planning my spending budget. LOL:rotfl2:

Did I miss it or have then not done the merchandise preview yet? I know they had some Marathon stuff a few weeks ago but I would like to see the other races. I have to start planning my spending budget. LOL:rotfl2:

I haven't seen anything yet. It's probably better off if I don't know the damage to my wallet before I go in. :confused3

Ok I have a dumb question - why are people packing Mylar blankets instead of bag dropping warm clothes? Or are you carrying them through the race with you?
I use Mylar blankets to stay warm pre-race. Nothing else works as well for me! Plus they’re cheap: I get them for about $1 apiece on Amazon. Post-race rD gives them out if it’s cold. I don’t use bag check, since I drive.

Scarred for life. And I wasn’t even running, just visiting the parks!

Well, the forecast changed my 5K costume: I can’t fit the necessary layers under Groot, so I’m resucitating an old Fireside Girl costume that served me well for the Frozen 5K.

Who can blame you? I love to run in heat....high heat, but fluid just pours out of me and at least in any race over a half, I have to be very careful about my fluid intake. Running in heat lets you run loose. The aches and pains are gone. The motions are easier. That said, I think were going to be in the low 40's at the start. That's tolerable but certainly not as welcome as upper 50's or lower 60's. Time will tell, and at the end of the day, we'll just have to play the hand we're dealt.
The problem - most of the folks posting here are from colder climates and will not be acclimatized to the heat. So, while warmer runs are great in the summer, they can be very dangerous when coming from very cold parts of the country.

Five years ago for my first full I remember hearing all this talk about what is the perfect weather for running a marathon and after running more than my fair share of cool to cold races,including last years full I would very much prefer to see something more like 78/62 rather than 67/43.After initially preferring cooler races I've come to terms that I grew up in South Florida,I've done things like run 7 miles in 94 degrees in the middle of the day and more than anything I'm tired of being cold before these races begin.Just two weeks ago I did Mt.Dora,probably low 50's at the start and even though I'm not blaming the cold I ended up with an annoying chest cold a couple of days after the race,I still have some cough and chest congestion which better go away before next Sunday.My point is I realize that I'm a Florida Iguana more geared to warmer temps,I do enjoy cooler temps but as far as races I hate getting up early in the cold,I hate being cold waiting around for the race to start and its just more likely I'll end up sick after running in the cold.I live in Central Florida now and at least for me it gets plenty cold here during these months,I've given thought of running some other out of state races but every time I see a review of some of these races north of Florida and I see near freezing temps,I end up signing up for a South Florida race.Do not want a repeat of last year,I'm scared looking at next weeks forecast,I see an increase for the full,but not nearly as warm as I prefer.
It's funny I've become so obsessive over the weather in recent days. I even read multiple articles about the "perfect" race temperature for marathons, and seems like the temperature that produces the fastest times are 43 degrees.

I live in Orlando and most of my training has been in 70+ degree weather, so I am used to the heat. However, when I did my 20 mile run a few weeks ago, it was 38 degrees and it felt so easy and effortless. So even though I will probably be freezing in the corral, I would definitely prefer temps in the 40's.

Just to give you an idea of what you will see, this is what my daughter and I wore 2 years ago at the Princess Half Marathon.

View attachment 290826

I totally remember seeing you guys wearing those costumes.Someone mentioned the sousaphone guy,also remember that guy,there's no way yoiu can't,it was a Japanese guy with his wife who was dressed up as Snow White,that was one of the wackiest ideas I've seen,but awesome.

I remember Disney on Ice. Snow/Sleet for the half and literally freezing temperatures for the full. The aid stations were ice slicks until the sun heated the ground enough. The water cups had a layer of ice on them as well. I tossed my gloves early on the full and then grabbed a pair of tossed gloves about a mile or two later. I didn't care they did not match!

I am just doing "theme" costumes. 5k is Sleeping Beauty/Aurora which will just be a pink Sparkle Athletic skirt and a pink tank (which will now be covered by a pink, running quarter zip. 10k is Daisy, white Sassy Sarah skirt with a lavender tank (which will now be covered by a purple quarter zip). Half is Kevin from UP, Kevin Sparkle Skirt, blue tank (which will now be covered by a blue running hoodie) and full is Donald, white Sassy Sarah skirt and a blue tank (which will now be covered by a blue running hoodie) and will be wearing leggings under all the skirts. Once the cold weather was predicted as likely I cancelled my plans to decorate my tanks to match the character. :( I do have hair bows I ordered off of Etsy to go with 3 of the costumes so hopefully people can still figure out what I am supposed to be dressed as). :confused3

ETA: I do have "duck leg colored" leggings to wear with my Daisy and Donald costumes so that should help. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter