Marathon Weekend 2023

Anyone gone to the Cirque du Soleil show in Disney Springs? I'm considering it when we go during MW because it'll be just me and DH and we would actually get to watch it (and not have to also wrangle kids.) The calendar is only open through December, but since I'm a planner....thoughts on seats?

If it all works out, I feel like Wednesday would make the most sense because we would do the expo in the morning, hang out at the resort in the afternoon, and then figure out dinner and go to bed at a reasonable time for that 2am wakeup on Thursday morning (and if we do a park day, it'll be on Thursday.)

Anyone gone to the Cirque du Soleil show in Disney Springs?
Yes, I went on Thursday of MW this year. It was fantastic. I was pretty close and on the side— I would have preferred being a little farther back and definitely in the center. With a show like it, though, all the seats have pros or cons!

Make sure to get there early. There’s an interactive pre show that’s great.

Anyone gone to the Cirque du Soleil show in Disney Springs? I'm considering it when we go during MW because it'll be just me and DH and we would actually get to watch it (and not have to also wrangle kids.) The calendar is only open through December, but since I'm a planner....thoughts on seats?

If it all works out, I feel like Wednesday would make the most sense because we would do the expo in the morning, hang out at the resort in the afternoon, and then figure out dinner and go to bed at a reasonable time for that 2am wakeup on Thursday morning (and if we do a park day, it'll be on Thursday.)
I really enjoyed it when I went last December. I sat at the back of the lowest section (seat 1, row H, section 103) and didn’t feel like I needed to crane my neck to see anything. And being at the back, right on the aisle let me get out of the building before almost everyone else, rather than being stuck in a slow-moving crowd. This is what my view of the stage was before the show started.
D23A9459-68E7-48FA-91B8-72A703ABE56B.jpeg

I went this past March. The theater was smaller than I expected, so I think most seats would be pretty good. I sat back of the front center section. My sister decided to join me after I had purchased a ticket, and sat on the side. I think her seat was fine. I think the back section would be be gray too, and if I would have realized the size of the theater, I might have chosen a seat a few rows higher. Stuff was happening in the isle between the front and back sections.
There are probably a few acts that would be better suited to being centered, but several that would be okay from any side.

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for this weeks Sundays Are For Disney. Today’s question: Do you do any cross training? What things do you recommend?

My Answer - I absolute fail at this. Every so often I bike some or start an exercise routine but then it falls off. I am really good at sticking to my running plans but fail at sticking to anything else. Recently I threw out my back just picking up a piece of trash on the ground. Went to doctor after it was not getting better for a week. He said, and I bet you can guess, I need to commit to a work-out routine focused on my core. But I think I am ready to try something more seriously and commit, this has been miserable and I will have lost two weeks of running. I am curious what others do?

SAFD: I run three to four times a week and around that I have specific strength training from my coach twice a week, one day where I pick cross training, and one day of yoga. I’ll also throw in five minutes of core work three to four times a week.

It took me a while to consistently do yoga, and I noticed a difference once I did. I haven’t gone to a studio in a while, since COVID really, because I joined the Peloton digital app. They have great classes, and my yoga sweet spot is 30-40 minutes instead of an hour, and most studios only do hour classes. I can also choose focus flows when I know I need to address something, mainly my hips.

Strength training is absolute key for me. I’ve battled ITBS for nine years and my coach puts together strength routines she knows will help me with that. On the day I can choose my cross training I do a combo of barre, core, and upper body work. Sometimes I’ll do a 20-minute yoga class if I need extra TLC.

People ask me why I stick with 10k’s and haven’t tried a half in years. See above 🤣. My body needs all of that and I just don’t want to do a half.

SAFD: this summer I’ve been counting surfing as cross training and doing yoga or body weight/core exercises 2-3x a week to help with flexibility and balance to get better at surfing. But it seems to benefit running too.
Plus I have a stationary bike for days I just can’t get out for a run. I mostly use the bike in winter when it’s too cold, snowy, or dark to run outside (I live in NH so there’s a few months where all three apply)

SAFD: Yes to cross training! I think if I only ran, I would get bored. Also injured.

I use Fitness Blender a few times a week for strength training/short core workouts. I also do karate classes at my gym once a week and occasional dance-based fitness classes. And every once in a while I swim laps.

ETA: Also I mostly bike places that are more than a mile away, not for exercise - or because I particularly like biking - but because it's often the easiest way to get around the city.

SAFD: I do LIIFT4 (BeachBody program) pretty regularly. I end up cutting some portions based on where I am in my training (no HIIT and no Legs during run intensive portions). It's got a minimal level of core at the end of each video (2 moves for 30s w/ 15s rest for 3 sets). The workouts are about 30-40 min, and four times per week for 8 weeks if you do the whole program. But if you want something super simple and short, I recommend this UNC Basketball medicine ball routine I did way back (link). It only takes about 15 min, so not a huge time commitment, but it does the trick.

SAFD: I like cross-training more than I like running 😆 Don’t tell.

Once triathlon season is over I hope to continue cycling as a form of cross training because I love it so much. Swimming is okay— I wouldn’t be opposed to continuing to swim as cross-training post triathlon season but I probably won’t. There just isn’t enough time. I also love hiking and have not been doing that enough this year. Not enough time.

I also do yoga— not as much as I would like currently— and it makes a huge difference in how my body feels. I mix it up between vinyasa/power flow classes and deep stretch. I usually go to my studio although I’ll occasionally just do my own flow or do a Peloton video.

I’ve started doing strength training through some runDisney people I found on Instagram. I’m doing it about once a week now but it will amp up to 2-3 times after triathlon season. It’s designed to complement the Dopey training (specifically Galloway’s program) and also incorporates mobility, stretching, recovery, etc.

SAFD: Absolutely nothing! I probably should.

I do PT-recommended strengthening exercises daily, but I don't consider that cross -training because I'd still be doing them even if I didn't run.

I do like to walk, and sometimes I go out specifically for the purpose of walking, but it's irregular and not routine. I mostly walk as a convenient way of getting around. If I miss a train or bus, I'm not gonna stand around and wait for the next one. I'll just walk.

Other forms of exercise have simply never clicked for me. I do love to run, but the time I spend running is finding that balance between overtraining/getting injuries and avoiding burnout. On days I'm not running, it's because I've figured out it's better for me to rest my body so I can run again the next day. Back when I ran no more than 3 days per week, I also worked in 3 days of power lifting, which I did enjoy quite a lot. But those are hard exercises and I know now that I'm running much more frequently, I simply won't stick with both.

SAFD:
I do aqua jogging once a week and either bike or walk one other day. I also do my physical therapy/RunSmart strength exercises on Sundays and Wednesdays. For a while, I was slacking on the strength workouts, but once I put them on the calendar like a run, they got a LOT more consistent.

I really need to add yoga to my routine, but I haven't found a good day to do it. Which has me wondering - is there any reason why I shouldn't be doing yoga the day before my long runs? That's truly the only day that is free right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter